FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anoying popup in windows

rafifaisal
I have noticed that together with the latest update of my windows xp, I also start to get the anoying popup that my windows version is not genuine and that I should get an authorized version.
Is there any way to overrule this popup
And dont tell me to get a genuine version Evil or Very Mad
S3nd K3ys
rafifaisal wrote:
I have noticed that together with the latest update of my windows xp, I also start to get the anoying popup that my windows version is not genuine and that I should get an authorized version.
Is there any way to overrule this popup
And dont tell me to get a genuine version Evil or Very Mad

Yes. Get a different OS. My first suggestion would be buy your own copy instead of stealing it, but you already figured that out. My second suggestion would have been to not do that particular update, but it's too late.
rafifaisal
Well deleting that particular update is NOT an option.
Every next update it will automatically install ALL updates, including the one giving these popups
S3nd K3ys
rafifaisal wrote:
Well deleting that particular update is NOT an option.
Every next update it will automatically install ALL updates, including the one giving these popups

So you're left with two choices as I see it.

Buy it

or

Get an OSOS (Open Source Operating System)
nitesh
this if for the users who don't have a genuine windows copy on their machine. Don't install updates directly from the microsoft website. Used autopatcher for updates. the autopatcher guys update their installers quite often and using them u shouldn't face any problems.
ocalhoun
My copy of windows is 'genuine', but I still opted out of that particular update. (I don't need more junk clogging up my system.) Really, if there's nothing wrong with your windows instalation, don't update it. Windows updates have been known to screw things up, and if your system is already working properly, why risk it?
As far as you popup goes, the easiest way to get rid of it will be to reinstall windows (after completely formating the drive, just to be safe).
Alternitively, you could pay microsoft a rediculous amount of money and get a liscence.
Jaan
It's illegal, but there are patches for that. It's ILLEGAL.... and XP is quite cheap. Linux is easy to pickup. Get Debian. And When you use a pirated CD key, Microsoft knows - if you're connected to the internet (unless you're using another PC to post here).
Lawl, pirating is bad man. Support the companies!
Saber
Quote:
and XP is quite cheap.

Yes this is true, you whom dont have a legal version its really not that costly.
If you look at microsoft's site or bestbuy amazon then yes, its $300 but why pay that much?

You can get fully legal copies from other resellers such as new egg.
Newegg has ex pro for $150ish, sometimes less,

Its really not that expensive, I bet you spend more on games... but then again, you might be just ripping games also.

Anyways, yes, most dont like microsoft, but at least buy the OS.
corey
ocalhoun wrote:
My copy of windows is 'genuine', but I still opted out of that particular update. (I don't need more junk clogging up my system.) Really, if there's nothing wrong with your windows instalation, don't update it. Windows updates have been known to screw things up, and if your system is already working properly, why risk it?
As far as you popup goes, the easiest way to get rid of it will be to reinstall windows (after completely formating the drive, just to be safe).
Alternitively, you could pay microsoft a rediculous amount of money and get a liscence.
There's a really good reason why to not get this update if at all possible. It contacts Microsoft's server every day to make sure that you're running a real copy. This "system scan" is an intrusion and a drain on your resources. Microsoft hasn't been known to put out patches that work (especially the last one, that created a new one) every time. This connection that it makes is now just another place to make your computer vulnerable for access by a third party who wants to hijack GenuineAdvantage's "phone home" feature for their own uses.
rafifaisal
For all the people who want to get rid of the annoying Windows Genuine Advance popups ---> here is the answer.
Just download this little uninstaller and the popups are gone

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga.htm

tell me how it went because i dont have these popups anymore
budazz
bypass it... but i wont tell you how its illegal hehe
mOrpheuS
Jaan wrote:
XP is quite cheap

That depends on how rich you are Wink

Jaan wrote:
When you use a pirated CD key, Microsoft knows - if you're connected to the internet

No, there is no backdoor in windows that "phones home" or sends your key back to microsoft for verification purposes.
Microsoft can't tell a computer running pirated windows apart even if it's connected to the internet 24/7.

That's why they have to depend on you downloading and installing an update before they start nagging you.

Jaan wrote:
Lawl, pirating is bad man. Support the companies!

Piracy sure is bad.
And if you can't support the companies, you can always go for one of the many freely available alternatives.
coreymanshack
there is a good reason i didn't pay for my windows xp, I DONT HAVE THE MONEY, I am a minor, below working age, although my windows xp cd key is valid! Just go to the web and search for cd key's. One of them is bound to work!
TheGeek
A little social engineering (if you can even call it that due to the incompitance of the idiots running the microsoft support services) can go a long way when it comes to activating a key that isnt legit...