FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to set up a proxy server at home?

dickyzin
I would like to set up a proxy server at home. I have apache web server already running on my home computer and I would like to set up a proxy server on it.
muggle
Please provide more details e.g. what is your operating system, network environment, etc.
internetjobs
give u r operating system details....

have network?
urangkayo
if you're running Windows for Proxy, you can use WinGate or WinProxy

If you're running Linux/BSD use SQUID for you're proxy
dickyzin
I'm running Windows XP. I have a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router. I assume I would also need to configure my router, don't I?
Jaan
You want to add a proxy to your website or use a proxy?
google "proxy lists". Then find a proxy, copy it, and remember the port number. In firefox, go to tools, options, connection settings, general, proxy settings, manually configure. Then just copy and paste and enter the port number and voila, you're under a proxy.
With IE, do the samething. Tools>options>internet options>connection settings>proxy settings>manually configure.
There are also many freeware programs for proxies.
If you want a proxy for your website, well i dunno, I'm trying to find out how to get one myself!
dickyzin
I would like to add proxy for my website. I want to set up a proxy on my machine so I can access the internet using my home proxy from my work.
Quake
Hmm, it looks to me like you're trying to set up a CGI Proxy.
Refer to this site for a detailed explanation and setup files. Hope this helps
http://www.cgi-proxy.net/cgi-proxy-software.html
Jaan
Yeah, I would've done it, but gave up.... however, a proxy is great for bypassing school firewalls! Wink
billybob
If your trying to set up a proxy website which would use your internet access at home you could use a script called phproxy but this would mean you would have to install php on ur webserver, another way you could achieve this is by remoting onto your home pc from work and using the internet from there this would also allows you to fully controle your home pc whilst at work...
dickyzin
I have php installed on my PC. What's the difference between cgi-proxy and php-proxy? I also can't use windows remoting from work since that's blocked too.
billybob
dickyzin wrote:
I have php installed on my PC. What's the difference between cgi-proxy and php-proxy? I also can't use windows remoting from work since that's blocked too.

right ok, "phproxy" is just a 1 particular script mainly php it is used in my site if you would like a preview www.poxyproxy.com although it will probally be banned.

cgi proxy i beleve is just another script but im not sure if "cgi proxy" is used to describe a type of proxy scripts, im unsure on that one.

I do beleve there are other ways of remoting onto your home pc via various web based systems if remote desktop is blocked.

I would recommend Phproxy as I have hod no real problems with it and its a quick easy install. its just a matter of uploading a few files (or in your case downloading them into your home server directory) then changing a few setting if you choose. If you do choose this method and you get stuck just pm me im happy to help
imranulbari
U can use windows 2000 server. Even third party proxy server is easy for any type of ppl. CCproxy is a great solution. For free proxy server u can donwload PROXYI from analogx.com
The default port is 6588 for HTTP
and FTP 21, SHOCKS 1080.
It could even support SMTP and POP.
Thanks in advance.
Prabhu Raj
You can use Jana proxy server provided you know how to configure it and you have a static public IP

Jana proxy server is a free software and as for the static public IP goes, you will need it even if you go for other proxy server softwares.

A static IP will make your server available to you through the internet.

If you want it only for your LAn then a private IP address would do.
blueray
hi, you can use CCProxy or wingate. But you do want more feature then, the latter one would be the better choose. It provides many protocol support and a build-in firewall that protect you home computer. Also support windows user account.

But something you should aware is opening a proxy would allow others connect to your proxy. So, be sure implementing user auth.

Hope this help,

Eric,
bambholebaba
I have a silly qustion..What is proxy server and what is it's use? Can it be used to access my internet connection from a computer which is not connected to that line? thanks!
Prabhu Raj
bambholebaba wrote:
I have a silly qustion..What is proxy server and what is it's use? Can it be used to access my internet connection from a computer which is not connected to that line? thanks!

A proxy server has many uses.

1. If you have one internet connection and want to share with many computers then you need a proxy server. This is the major use.

2. If you have a shared IP then you cannot download from rapidshare or megaupload or any other file upload websites. then you configure your browser to use a proxy server to download the files from those sites. This is a rare occassion since many of the downloaders will scan and use the proxy servers.

3. Nothing major but you can use it for fun.

Hopw this helps.
blueray
hi, bambholebaba, you can have your computer installed a wingate proxy server and made it service you from your work. Because it can use http port 80 to accept proxy request. So, you should not be block anyway. You have to enable transparent proxy, proxy service, auto-dialing and other protocol you like.

posts here if you got configuration problems

[ref]
www.wingate.com
Hope this help
Eric,
hack_man_
I thought that a proxy was a means of filtering internet access so that ISPs like Etisalat can control everything. I would not mind a proxy at home on my network, to unblock the stuff that they don't need to block and to block the things they have missed for them - like this topic for instance - and to block things that are illegal, like eBaumsworld. :p
incubus
try http://www.phproxy.org/ (like CGI proxy - but PHP instead of CGI)

andreas
dickyzin
incubus wrote:

andreas

PhProxy seems quite nice. Are you allowed to install it on our frihost account?
billybob
dickyzin wrote:
incubus wrote:

andreas

PhProxy seems quite nice. Are you allowed to install it on our frihost account?

no there not allowed they take up a lot of cpu usage as well as bandwidth even some paid services don't allow them.
xodia
Quake wrote:
Hmm, it looks to me like you're trying to set up a CGI Proxy.
Refer to this site for a detailed explanation and setup files. Hope this helps
http://www.cgi-proxy.net/cgi-proxy-software.html

so you are trying to use your server for surfing the internet at work, therefore bypassing the blocking software in place at work... hmmmm i am not sure... try googling it... soz for not being more help Embarassed
Hey,
I was wanting to set up a proxy on my Home PC, So I used google. This was the first one that came up and there have been very interesting posts and I wanted your help on a certain question.

At my school they have a firewall that filters almost everything and so I figured that I would use a proxy. At home I tested several Proxies and got myself a list.

I had an Idea that I would set up a Proxy on my PC then I could browse online any website from School. Unfortunatly they Blocked Proxies for my account. Then I had a breakthrough..

I hacked into the offline Account at my school which cannot access the internet, BUT Its connected through the school system which has a Firewall which I am guessing blocks it. The system for the school is a basic one, Every computer has two options to log on, I can log on to a universal hardrive which has everyones files on and everyone gets there own small partition and can only access that. The administrator can access all and the teacher can access alot of the partitions. I hacked into the Administrators account which has windows installed into the local hardrive.

I was going to try and set a proxy up on my Computer but after reading alot of posts I realised that I cannot access the internet on this computer while PERL was using the Proxy script.

back to the school....

I realised that if I typed in http://navaho/
while I was logged onto the local hardrive
It takes me to my emails meaning that is has communication with the school internet but is being blocked off from the WWW.

I was wondering if it would work if I where to use a proxy on the offline account and possibly connect to any website,

What you guys think?
I am going to try it tommorrow
tombox
I have read almost all of the posts regarding Proxy. My requierment is to run a Proxy server for TinyXP SP2(Cusomised XP). I have installed Privoxy (content filter manager) in my machine. My machine has three user accounts. I have configured Privoxy in in Administrator mode. But the problem is each user has to configure the web browsers proxy settings to 127.0.0.1:8118 manually.
To avoid this how can I configure all web browsers proxy settings to 127.0.0.1:8118 ?
Is there any solutions?