FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Server 2 (Permanent) Fix...

Marston
OK, I know one of the mods will probably get upset about me posting this, but...

I think someone should seriously look into permanently fixing server 2. The problem with server 2 has been brought up several times in Web Hosting support (so I'm not going to go into detail about what the "problem" is except to say that server 2 goes down every 10 minutes)...
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-46607.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-48275.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-47229.html
I noticed that this problem seemed to be fixed for the last few weeks, but all of a sudden it's happening again. It's not like this is something that can just be ignored; not only is it really inconvenient, but it's also very annoying when we're trying to work on our websites. I'm not trying to be ungreatful (because I really really love this hosting service, and I hope with all my heart that it succeeds for a very long period of time), but it really sucks to have an unreliable host. Anyways, Bondings, could you please look into fixing this problem? Sad Please?
devroom
For what i know is that bondings has some ideas which will help to make the server faster, so there will be less errors. The problem is that bondings hasnt much time and he wont create an other admin account, so that other people can fix the server.

So we probably will have to wait until bondigs got more time or he creates an other admin account.
mathiaus
Do you think Bondings hasn't been that bothered about it and upgraded as a 'just hope this will work' solution? He has been and will continue his search for the cause(s) of the problem and when he finds them will act to solve them.

So far server 2 has experianced memory problems which caused restarts and rare crashes requiring a manual restart. This cause of this is still unfound so as restarts are annoying but still currently required he has tried to extend the time between them a bit by upgrading the memory which also quickens the restart so it wasnt as noticeible. At this same time, the server configuartion was changed slightly. Bondings beleives the original (and current) problem lies with one person's account, some script or something (not-delibrate) and is still trying to find who though.

EDIT: Oh yeah and he's still working through accounts to be removed which helps Wink

P.S. Didn't mean to come over as so aggressive sorry Smile
Bondings
The problem is that it's pretty hard to find the cause of these Apache crashes/restarts. And I really don't have much time for this till september.

I did upgrade the server with 512MB of RAM a while ago and that's what helped a bit. But it's not really a load or resources problem so that's why it didn't solve the problem. The server load is actually quite low most of the time: load average: 0.62, 0.60, 0.73 currently, which means the server is definately able to handle much more traffic.

I am indeed going to remove quite a few accounts from the server which should help a bit or even fix the problem (if it was a removed account causing it). Also the hosting account which are currently being added to the server are most likely the last ones.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Also the hosting account which are currently being added to the server are most likely the last ones.

Does that mean there will be a server 3 soon? Or will you be more aggresdsive in cleaning out dormant accounts? Or will new account signups be suspended altogether?
Bondings
Unless I change my mind or something else happens there is going to be a server 3, most likely next month.
Marston
Bondings wrote:
Unless I change my mind or something else happens there is going to be a server 3, most likely next month.
Shocked I are excited!
alkady
Bondings wrote:

Whoa! Is it really that profitable Bondings? Damm!
Bondings
[quote="alkady"]
Bondings wrote:
Whoa! Is it really that profitable Bondings? Damm!

Not really, but another server is definately needed. I don't really have much choice. Wink
garionw
well, is there any spare space left on server 2? maybe you could move a few across into that and then you would have a bit more space.

Will you be going with direct admin again?
Bondings
garionw wrote:
well, is there any spare space left on server 2? maybe you could move a few across into that and then you would have a bit more space.

I'll try to get DirectAdmin, but if there is some promotion for cPanel I'll rather take that.

And it's definately not about disk space, I can easily upgrade the server(s) with a second hard disk.
garionw
Bondings wrote:
garionw wrote:

I'll try to get DirectAdmin, but if there is some promotion for cPanel I'll rather take that.

And it's definately not about disk space, I can easily upgrade the server(s) with a second hard disk.

Does that mean space upgrades when Server 2 is locked (No new members)
Bondings
No sorry, there won't be any space upgrades.
garionw
ok, thats fine - 250's way to much for me anyway!
Marston
How much space is currently unoccupied on server 2 (if you don't mind sharing that with us, Bondings)?
Bondings
Marston wrote:
How much space is currently unoccupied on server 2 (if you don't mind sharing that with us, Bondings)?

A good 25% but that will soon be more when I remove some accounts.

But then again if it's needed I'll just upgrade the server with another hard disk. Nothing compared to getting a third server at least. Wink
Blaster
But we want a third server bondings Razz

Now on the serious note thanks for cleaing up some accounts and all it does seem like my site is going somewhat slow and all.
garionw
Bondings wrote:
Marston wrote:

A good 25% but that will soon be more when I remove some accounts.

But then again if it's needed I'll just upgrade the server with another hard disk. Nothing compared to getting a third server at least. Wink

So whats happening with the spare space. How much is on the other server? (Free)
Bondings
garionw, the plans will be the same as currently.
garionw
Bondings wrote:
garionw, the plans will be the same as currently.

I know, I know i was only asking, wasn't sure whether you were moving the directory accross to our server or what was happening
nappa
I'm not sure if this problem cause google indexing different. I've many pages of my site rank on top 10 in many keywords. When I checked it again today google only rank my index page, so today I don't have many visitors.

This thing happened to me before, but that time google index all of my pages again after 2 days.

If this problem is about the server. Then it is a very serious issue because I'm losing my visitors which may be my customers in the future.

May be when google bot tried to crawl my site, not all of the pages were available at the time due to server down time. I'm not sure if I'm right, but hope the problem will be fixed very soon. Sad
Marston
^ Your website doesn't work.

Anyways, this should be closed due to unrelated comments such as the one above.
nappa
Marston wrote:
^ Your website doesn't work.

Anyways, this should be closed due to unrelated comments such as the one above.

Well I think it is related dude. When the server is down like you say every ten minutes it also cause my site down. My site normally works when the server is works. The reason I'm talking about google is because I think the server down problem also cause my site ranking problem. Well how you think a spider can crawl completely when the server is down.

My site sometimes show 404 error page and sometimes it just show "page not found". The ratio I experience this is 4:1 when 5 are times I tried to load my site, 4 are times when it succesfully loaded, and 1 is time when the page shows error.

I tried post a new topic related to my problem at
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-48670.html

but an admin sent my here. So I think it's realted and my site works in normal situation. And of course I hope this problem can be fixed very very soon. (or at least tell me what to do)

If this problem is ignored.....fine tell me and I'll leave this server. I know this is free server but someone should have an answer for this isn't it.
hack_man_
So, is there going to be a server 3 or it it just a figment of an overactive imagination? Very Happy

I do say that if there is going to be a server 3 with cPanel, then I will go for it! I never really liked DA much.
NjRocket
a server 3 would def clear some stuff up, but not sure if it would be cost efficient.
Bockman
This is a suggestion, not a discussion. I'll -close- it to prevent spam.

Server2 will be checked and when the problem is found, it'll be fixed. As for Server 3 or no Server 3, it has also been addressed at the forums, please use the search button.

Be Well Cool