FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best use of interweaving time in a movie

emod
There are some movies that achieve this in a monology, but I my two best favourites are the Terminator and Back to the future trilogies, especially the latter. No matter how many times you watch them you can always always find new, clver references to the past-future-present and links between each movie.

Biff is a great example of this clever interweaving.

What other movies do this really well?
GProject
So, are you referring to movies that deal in time-travel (like Back to the Future), or movies that have non-linear narratives (like Memento)?

I don't think that 'interweaving' is really the term you mean to use in the topic title. Could you clear this up?
JoeFriday
actually, I think Memento is fairly linear, even tho it chops it into segments and runs it 'backward'.. it's still sequential.. the only confusing part is that the b&w sequences are different than the color scenes.. but it all fits together in the 'end'

personally, I think Terminator was one of the best time-travel movies ever made.. as far as I can tell, there is nothing contradictory about it.. everything fits together, and makes you think about it afterward

on the other hand, Back to the Future is possibly one of the worst time-travel movies.. the paradox presented at the end would be impossible.. MJF's character wakes up the next day and is confused because everything is different? that clearly couldn't happen because he diverted history back when his parents met.. therefore everything after that would have been different and he would have grown up knowing the cool parents.. likewise for everything else throughout the Back To The Future series

ironically, I'm able to overlook that and watch those movies for the entertainment value.. but with any other time-travel movie, I'm highly critical of any paradox or discrepancy.. in fact, I hated T2 because it contradicted everything in T1.. altho the movie studio sort of made up for it with T3, which wasn't too bad, either
HDirtwater
If we're talking about time travel movies, we ought to mention 12 Monkeys, which is one of the better ones. Memento was excellent also.

There is a great movie called Nick of Time starring Johnny Depp that takes place in real time. A pretty neat concept (pre-24).

Even though Back to the Future is scientifically bogus, it was still fun to watch.
rein
In the non-liniear movie category Pulp Fiction shouldn't go unmentioned. Loads of references there too about what has happend earlier, and clues about what is yet to come.
Fun to watch time loop movie is 'Goundhog day' btw Wink
Octaeder
Yeah Back to the Future is quite bad in its dealing of time travel. For a start the Delorian jumps back in time but stays in the same place, but unless you're travelling in whole years then surely the earth would have moved to a different place in its orbit and you'd end up drifting in the vacuum of space.

Just a thought
greenwoodmonkey
Interweaving and None Linear...

Great examples of NL movies in my opinion has to be Pulp Fiction, that movie is one of the finest examples of the genre and never fails to entertain.

A fantastic example of what I think we are calling Interweaving is "The Butterfly Effect".. this takes the BTTF concept of being able to change the past and gives it a whole new angle.

I for one will never tire of the BTTF trilogy, yes the third one is dire, and should have never been made, but the way it was promo'd (for those that will remember it) at the end of the 2nd was a fine piece of marketing.. I have to admit I did wait, and look forward, for that movie for a year.. but then I was about 12 at the time!
Merino
I love it when films use time non-linear. Best examples that come to mind now are 12 Monkeys and Memento. The last being one of my all time favorite movies.
chrismen
I did not like Memento at all.
The best (well at least the best I can remember) is Boondock Saints. Not super itellectual time stuff but I liked how the editing was done. Good movie.
supposing
I choose... Two for the Road, with Audrey Hepburn, as the smoothest time interweaving ever.
VidE
The English Patient used interweaving time well. Murch is a good editor. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was semi-non linear and I enjoyed that very much.
GProject
VidE wrote:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was semi-non linear and I enjoyed that very much.

Indeed - a fantastically made, thought provoking, and intensely visual piece of work. I recommend it to anybody, but especially if you're trying to get over a relationship - it'll confuse and challenge you, but it's worth it.
vw_bugg
greenwoodmonkey wrote:
Interweaving and None Linear...

Great examples of NL movies in my opinion has to be Pulp Fiction, that movie is one of the finest examples of the genre and never fails to entertain.

A fantastic example of what I think we are calling Interweaving is "The Butterfly Effect".. this takes the BTTF concept of being able to change the past and gives it a whole new angle.

I for one will never tire of the BTTF trilogy, yes the third one is dire, and should have never been made, but the way it was promo'd (for those that will remember it) at the end of the 2nd was a fine piece of marketing.. I have to admit I did wait, and look forward, for that movie for a year.. but then I was about 12 at the time!

I liked the butterfly effect. i laughed so hard when he woke up after he blew off his aarms.