FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Home Based Jobs

sathiyasri
Hi all,

I am very interested in Home Based Jobs.

But i dont have any idea about it.
Can anybody give me more informations about the topic?
alkady
There are two Defitionition for Home Based Job:

1. Working for yourself
2. Working for someone else at home!

1. Working for yourself is obvious, Some kind of home based job working for yourself is Manufacturing stuff, Freelancing etc.

2. Working for someone else, May include manufacturing, Packaging etc. They usually drop the stuff at your house and pick it up later on. The lowest you can go is becoming a home based Cold Caller.

if you want to Start a Home Based Business, Typical Businesses are Cataloging in which you sell a bunch of stuff by Catalogue, People send their checks into your PO Box etc. Thats how many people became rich during the era of Cataloging a few decades back.
myrevolt
Once again with "cold caller", in the USA we would say "telemarketer"; to me it sounds like either the person on the other line has the flu, or that they are calling from Antartica. Wink

Some people get lucky and will create/publish a website that gets a lot of traffic; and if they put advertisements (such as Google's text-based ads), they can earn a lot of money. Of course, over 90% of people that do this as a "get-rich scheme" fail to get anyone to visit their site.

As Alkady said, you may be able to convince your employer to let you work your office job from home; though if your boss is anything like Dilbert's they'd rather watch you like a hawk, than give you that kind of "freedom".
rightclickscott
Well, I work as a webcomic artist out of my house. The only money I'll be making is out of advertising and merchandise. I'm going to have merch in the Inksandwich store soon.
Vandalyzed
When you're thinking about working at home, the first thing you have to do is recognize your motives.

Are you just pissed at an employer and now you dont want to work for anyone but yourself?

Has something changed and it's become more advantageous for you to work at home?

Understanding the motives of why you're attempting to work at home will help you in determining if you'll succeed in a home based business. Believe me, starting and running a business from home is harder than being employed by someone else. How easy is it to find something we dont like about our employer? Then realize how often we refuse to blame ourselves when something goes wrong........and if a homebase business is not successful, who's to blame but yourself?

If you're just at that point, that for no particular reason, you feel you want to work for yourself, then the first thing you have to decide is what are you going to do?

What are your skills?
What are your hobbies?

To increase the chance of success, you want to do something you can consider yourself to me better than average at.....something that you might consider yourself to be an expert at.

My business is Computer Repair, Home Networking, and Web Design. I worked in a related field for 13 years..........Cable. In that field I became experienced in computer troubleshooting, home wiring, networking. As well as the obvious of running wires for telephone, cable, and networking.

So pretty much my business was built in and I was doing work "on the side" for about 5 years before I seperated from my employment.

Like the other person commented, the first thing you want to try is to see what work-at-home oppurtunities you have thru your current employment. That keeps the stability of having employment added with the experience of working at home.

Here are some links for you:

http://www.hbwm.com/
http://www.2work-at-home.com/
http://www.homebusinessmag.com/
alkady
Another piece of Advice.

Home Base businesses are always underestimated by the General Business Population. So if your going to start a home based business, Don't make it that obvious that you work from home, Because frankly, the home part ruins the professionalism.

But it's okay if your working in the shadow, Like web design and such. Because they never really ask questions.

But because offices aren't cheap, Consider Subletting an Office for a Certain amount of time a month. Try craigslist in your local area.

You can sublet an office for $350+ a Month, Or you can sublet it a la carte.
There are also Virtual Offices in which you rent a Location for $30-70 a month where you get a address but not the office and any mail that goes there is redirected to you. How sweet is that? And for a small amount a Day, There are some services that offer a Live Secretary.
abuetyfulprincess
Vandalyzed wrote:
When you're thinking about working at home, the first thing you have to do is recognize your motives.

Are you just pissed at an employer and now you dont want to work for anyone but yourself?

Has something changed and it's become more advantageous for you to work at home?

Understanding the motives of why you're attempting to work at home will help you in determining if you'll succeed in a home based business. Believe me, starting and running a business from home is harder than being employed by someone else. How easy is it to find something we dont like about our employer? Then realize how often we refuse to blame ourselves when something goes wrong........and if a homebase business is not successful, who's to blame but yourself?

If you're just at that point, that for no particular reason, you feel you want to work for yourself, then the first thing you have to decide is what are you going to do?

What are your skills?
What are your hobbies?

To increase the chance of success, you want to do something you can consider yourself to me better than average at.....something that you might consider yourself to be an expert at.

My business is Computer Repair, Home Networking, and Web Design. I worked in a related field for 13 years..........Cable. In that field I became experienced in computer troubleshooting, home wiring, networking. As well as the obvious of running wires for telephone, cable, and networking.

So pretty much my business was built in and I was doing work "on the side" for about 5 years before I seperated from my employment.

Like the other person commented, the first thing you want to try is to see what work-at-home oppurtunities you have thru your current employment. That keeps the stability of having employment added with the experience of working at home.

your so smart!! thanks for the advice
Vandalyzed
Thank you!!

But dont worry, my intelligence is a cleverly built disguise that's taken years to perfect Razz

If you need any further assistance or advice, feel free to PM me.
Sabrina
I'm going to have a lot of free time this semester so I'm thinking of getting an internet job. Although most jobs on the net are only available to you AFTER you pay a certain amount. I wouldn't want to pay for something I might not end up profiting from...
Traveller
Vandalyzed wrote:

Be very careful with these. Many of the places to which they linked just wind up asking for money (e.g. "Save now and buy our kit for $34.99 - a 50% discount"). Such "opportunities," that ask for you to pay anything (especially if you will receive "free instructions with your paid membership"), are NOT legitimate (including the one named "legitimatebusinessopportunities").

On the other hand http://www.freebyte.com/makemoney/ will point you to some much better material, including sites that ask for users to report any job posts that request any kind of payment.
Teddy1
Freelancing is a good idea but has one main disadvantage and that is that work won't be around as often as it would be if you were working for a company. The best advantage of being a freenlancer is that that you are your own boss. Something which alot of people would love to be Smile
Vandalyzed
Traveller wrote:
Vandalyzed wrote:

Be very careful with these. Many of the places to which they linked just wind up asking for money (e.g. "Save now and buy our kit for $34.99 - a 50% discount"). Such "opportunities," that ask for you to pay anything (especially if you will receive "free instructions with your paid membership"), are NOT legitimate (including the one named "legitimatebusinessopportunities").

On the other hand http://www.freebyte.com/makemoney/ will point you to some much better material, including sites that ask for users to report any job posts that request any kind of payment.

Ummm........ the information that I was pointing to wasn't in the links on those pages...there was legitimate information on home based businesses.

Any website you go to is going to have links going to pages and "business oppurtunities" that cost you money.......that's the way those people make money.

For example, the first link contains information such as the 2006 top rated home business. It also contains information for all varieties of work at home jobs. This site has been running since 1996. I'd say there's nothing to be afraid of there. and that's barely a chip in what this site has to offer.

the second link is actually linked off the first one to another helpful site.

And the third link is just what it looks like........it's the online website for Home Business Magazine. The most helpful feature at this site is the forums where people just like the one that posted this topic could come and help each other find the information they're seeking.

So, my question to you is........did you even bother looking at those websites before you posted your opinion that people should be wary of those links?

When someone asks for help, I'm not gonna steer them wrong.

*Edit*

I just visited the link you supplied in your post. To be honest, the only link on that site worth anything was the freelance jobs link.

Quote:

Work from home, make money from your Website, join affiliate programs, get paid to take online surveys, get paid by reading email, get paid by surfing the Web, money making tutorials, earn revenue by placing ads on your Website, advertisement programs, get a fee to refer customers, receive commission for offering custom builds, etc.

Right from the introduction on that site. This site shows that it's links lead to sites that aren't legitimate home based businesses or work at home oppurtunities.............they're pay to post, pay to click, pay to read emails......... Fine for a supplemental income for sure...........but not a home based business, as our original poster was asking.
Traveller
Vandalyzed wrote:
Ummm........ the information that I was pointing to wasn't in the links on those pages...there was legitimate information on home based businesses.

That may be true, but I didn't say all of the information was bad - only:
Traveller wrote:
Be very careful with these. Many of the places...

My warning was not an injunction against the sites, but an advisory for those who easily fall prey to such things.

Having been a certified credit counselor, I have encountered a great number of desperate people who see such offers and think that it's okay for them to spend this "small amount" to buy their way into something that SO many tesimonials say will net them TONS of money and, hence, get them out of debt. Instead, they wind up losing more money.
indyeah
take my words mate, learning is the best earning on comp. As far as the money goes earn them in real life Smile , on the net you might get rich but wont get the confidence of a real life rich ever

watcha think Wink
carbenson
I know there are many opportunities, but a comment.

I tried working from home I was doing web based work, mostly helping small companies make their website more search engine friendly. For a while it was really fun, the search engines didnt use pay models, but were using robots to gather key words, and other information from the site. So it was fun!

I ran into two problems, one was a problem many one person buisnesses run into. I was forced into cycles of marketing and doing work, it was very hard to balance those efforts, so of course the cash flow did the same.

The second problem was that the environment changed. The search engines went to pay modles, so my efforts of making search enging friendly pages meant less and less, it bacame just consulting to tell the company how to spend their money. It bacame not fun and harder to justify my cut of the money. It feelis like I made the same mistake that the railroads did when they defined their buisness as railroads instead of transportation. which allowed trucking to undercut their entire business.
anyway my point is that working at home can be a niche trap, in that with the computer and internet field changing so much, width of services are maybe just as important as depth of services.

OK My 2 cents,
Good luck though!
Vandalyzed
Traveller wrote:
Having been a certified credit counselor, I have encountered a great number of desperate people who see such offers and think that it's okay for them to spend this "small amount" to buy their way into something that SO many tesimonials say will net them TONS of money and, hence, get them out of debt. Instead, they wind up losing more money.

Ok, I completely agree with you there. But, you have to be more specific in what you're saying to someone that's looking for help.

By quoting the links in my post and then saying "You must be careful of these", it looks like a friendly warning to be wary of links that I posted to help someone.

The only site I remember using, out of those 3 links, back a few years ago, when I was looking to start a home business was the HBM link. The other two I found by doing a quick search and viewing the site myself before posting the link.

Concerning the link you posted. Your comment about the people you've experienced in your position, I feel those are the same type of people that put their hopes in the pay per "whatever" sites linked on that resource site.

My opinion is that those links are more suitable for a Housewife/husband that wants to provide some additional income for their household, but have no feasible way of getting a job.

There are some very valid "pay per" sites, which I've reviewed and tested and am currently writing an ebook about...........but, it's only thru a combination of 10-20 sites that you can make any serious income....albeit ONLY supplemental.

The way most of those sites payout would cause severe financial problems for anyone depending on that money to pay their bills.

To be fair, tho, I would advise anyone seriously looking for work-at-home oppurtunities to view the Freelance Oppurtunities link on that link that Traveller posted.