FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


ARE VIDEO GAMES BAD FOR OUR CHILDREN??





RNTEACHER
I am in my twenties and I have been playing video games since i was very little and I still enjoy them today! I have played all genre of video game from Mario to Grand Theft Auto series. From Resident Evil to Mortal Kombat and the Zelda series. My point is that I turned out just fine and I have made no plans on going on a killing spree or robbing anybody! I think my parents did a good job and thats why I'm the good person I am today. To blame video games for the reasons people do the evil things they do in this world today is just an excuse for bad parenting!! I guess some of you morans beleive that the world was free of violence all together before video games and movies were introduced to the human race! LOL This is just pathetic people!!! I f your kids end up in prison, maybe the problem was you!!!!! LEAVE VIDEO GAMES ALONE!! I didn't even see close to half the violence I see in most games these days in this video! Someone always has to b***h about something! Even if we didn't have any of the violence in video games or movies someone would be b***hing about something else!!! Besides, video games are aimed at an older audience and they will NEVER go away no matter what, so stop wasting your time and mine!!!
But that's just my ideas... WHAT DO YOU THINK??
kazikame
They just need something to blame, and Jack Thompson doesn't seem to mind looking like a total retard when pointing the blame at gamers.

It's the parents' fault really.
Yjaxygames
When GTAIII came out I bought it, I was like 10 years old back then. And GTAIII is a violent game, but I never changed because of those games. I have played many violent games, but they didn't affect me at all.
It's not that when I play Grand Theft Auto I think (or most of us): "Hey, that guy steals cars and kills people and he gets away, so I can do that too"
Shiva
Well.. this world has 2 kinds of people.. the ones getting inzane by playing games, and the others..

Luckely there is not many people getting sick of games. Nut they are the one we blame!!

I think that about 98% of children playing games are normal children.. who knows that stealing daddys gun and shot mommy in the head isn't something you get 1000 extra points for!!

But the last 2% Kidnaps the whole class in his/her school and kill them all to get "game over"..

Maybe if you went trought a psykological test before you bought CS would be a good idea.. Perhaps then we could sort out the psykos...
DeFwh
Well from a perspective you have to realize how and what your children are learning from. Most games arent learning tools so basically if your child wants a video game you dissaprove of then its entirely up to you to expose your children in a positive manner to the material. Sheilding your children from obscene material can lead to poor understanding of real life values and self responsibilities. Games such as GTA:San Andraes are fine as long as your children know that the game is not real. Also in this instance make sure the game is age appropriate. Most parents either dont care or are very picky of what games there sons and daughters pick. ESRB has been around for a long time and has done many test cases so even though you may not approve of your children playing a teen game, if its within there age limit you might need to back off. Games isnt just sitting in front of the BOOB TUBE like tv it actually takes coordination of eye and hand muscles (sometimes even feet or full body motion). Also many games involve thinking portions and provide a safe way for children to express various emotions through in inanimate object.
caroline
It all depends, and it's not all about violence.

For example, some people spend a significant portion of their time every day playing video games. It might not lead them to want to shoot every civilian they see, but it's not exactly constructive either (a polite way of saying I think video games are wastes of time, but that's just my opinion).

Therefore because video games aren't usually beneficial there are those who will always be against video games.
izcool
I think that it might influence some violence, but not all.

I watched this some time ago and think it's worth mentioning on here, about the game Mortal Kombat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23fKSeJuTxE

They go on about how warning labels had to be put on games like Mortal Kombat because of the violence.

- Mike.
Nameless
RNTEACHER... You're really not very convincing. Laughing Not that what you say isn't valid, but the CAPITAL LETTERS, swearing like a b**** and excissive exclamation marks!!!! and sentences and paragraphs that are basically rambling on needlessly without a break or list or anything covenient like that that might reduce the rambling brought on by needless rambling consistantly.

Anyway, I believe realistically anyone who goes nuts after playing video games is the kind of person that would have done something like that anyway, just it would have been something else to trigger it. And if the parents don't like the games, they can easily stop the child playing it. Video games are only an incredibly small part of much wider scope of influences.

(Sidenote: Video games are beneficial. They can be a useful was of reducing stress and venting anger in a way that doesn't harm anyone. Keeping yourself relaxed and stress free by playing games can also increase your effectiveness when you do something 'productive', and can be as important as any other lesiure activities. Online and multiplayer games can also be a good way of sharing common interests and socialising with other people. Video games for children can also be educational and help brain development. And so on. Smile )
jaleung
I know that some doctors use video games to train their hands...it sounds weird but it shows that video games do have some good aspects
The Czar
In Your 20s And Still Make Spelling Mistakes???

Maybe you were just careless ...

What I Am Younger That Most People Here ... Maybe I'm The Youngest at this forum ...

I play video games ... CS, CS:CZ, Operation Flashpoint, Unreal, GTA Series. I watched Saving Private Ryan and other gory movies ... It doesn't make me want to kill people anytime ... I do like Sniping though ... Laughing

Video Games don't affect people much ... I think the kids who killed other people because of video games are lying ... Video Games have become scapegoats ....
GProject
Video games could be the catalyst for viloent behaviour, but it is unlikely that they are the sole reason. Your social situation and your upbringing are much bigger factors in whether you would act violently towards others. Video games, movies, music etc. are just easy excuses for parents.
bulek
It's almost impossible to prevent children to play video games but parents should limit the time of playing video games and also filter violence games. Every thing has a good and bad side.
DeFwh
The Czar wrote:
What I Am Younger That Most People Here ... Maybe I'm The Youngest at this forum ...


We could answer that question if your told us how old you are.

Or is was that whole thing a monologue?
wombatrpgs
Srs2388
It's not really the game causing the violence...
keep in mind that some games some kid tries to immitate the game and then they end up in a really messed up place *like juvy*
but thats what the ratings system is... if the implemented a stronger ratings system it still wouldn't help because they would still watch movies and stuff.
when i was younger i played killing games and i never killed anyone because of it though.
From another side if you mad and wanna kill someone you can kill then but in the game.... not as high of a chance to go on a killing spree.
amusic
it depends on who is playing it. Somebody who can't control himself or herself well might be addicted to it and waste too much time until they forgot their school work. FOr some ppl, video game might be good for them.
rightclickscott
Since I'm sick of these disscussions and constantly trying to make my point while making other people trying to understand what my point is, I'll make this quick...

I think Video Games are an easy scapegoat, so if someone's got a problem, blame video games. I hate the way they've been discriminated against, but there isn't much we can do about it.
wombatrpgs
amusic wrote:
it depends on who is playing it. Somebody who can't control himself or herself well might be addicted to it and waste too much time until they forgot their school work. FOr some ppl, video game might be good for them.


However, this would be negated by what people have said before about parenting. Good parenting would easily prevent kids from obsessing and neglecting the important things. I do not think videogames are harmful, if they are played casually, (no obsession,) and for limitted periods of time. If a videogame becomes a key thing in a child's life, then yes, something is wrong.
Sappho
Quote:
Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.


Thats pretty much all there is to it. Wink
wombatrpgs
...I actually don't listen to anything BUT repetitive electronic music. Call me obsessed, but I just find it more calming than anything with lyrics. Oh well.
point4design
Although video games can desensitize children, just like TV and other things, I don't think they are the cause for a child misbehaving. I think it has everything to do with the way the children are raised.
Sappho
wombatrpgs wrote:
...I actually don't listen to anything BUT repetitive electronic music. Call me obsessed, but I just find it more calming than anything but lyrics. Oh well.


But I hope your room is well lit. Smile Stay the hell away from magic pills and you should be safe. Wink
sraya
I work in a computer show in the Education Television Network in Israel as a researcher and I can tell you some video games can be educational and there is nothing non-educational in most of them. sure there are fights, bad language and so no... but so does television, so is life. beling educational doesnt mean being blind to the ways of the world and its habits. I rather my (non-existing) child spend time infront of a video game than wonder the streets at night. dont you?
DeFwh
sraya wrote:
I work in a computer show in the Education Television Network in Israel as a researcher and I can tell you some video games can be educational and there is nothing non-educational in most of them. sure there are fights, bad language and so no... but so does television, so is life. beling educational doesnt mean being blind to the ways of the world and its habits. I rather my (non-existing) child spend time infront of a video game than wonder the streets at night. dont you?


Hurt people in video games not in RL. Because thats uncool! The truth is that if your kid is emulating these behaviors hes seeing it done by real people. if video games,and bad music were the cause of violence and aggression well like most things id probably be on a national watch list for terroism. But see i have one thing self control, the disicipline.
jb2_86_uk
I think, sometimes computer games need to be looked at as a tool rather than a cause.

Computer games like GTA, give the user a care free environment where he or she can do whatever the hell they feel like doing without consequences. here have been occassions where I have had a really crappy day for whatever reason, and being able to go and vent my frustration on a bunch of pixels is a great outlet.

This doesnt only go for violence. I love driving, I love the freedom it gives me, but when I feel this freedom is being encroatched, such as experiecing heavy traffic or bad drivers, it would be easy to get worked up, frustrated and have an accident, so instead, you bottle it all up, get home, fire up a driving game and just go nuts!

Instead of arguing it's GTA that causes a 14 yr old kid to steal his father's gun and shoot up a shopping centre, its games like GTA that prevent this happening on a more frequent basis!

JB
Soulfire
It varies from person to person. If said kid is able to distinguish between fantasy and reality, then by all means, they're pretty fine to play the games. But if the game is becoming said kid's reality, and they are unable to realize that it is fantasy, then it's probably not the best thing for them.
clowdiaa
of course they are, even though i am only 16, i see it in my brother who is 10. He never plays outside, and stays home, away from society. When he meets up with his other "friends" they hardly exchange words, only playing their gameboys, psp's and other portable games. its not how my childhood was.
ciaran27
First of all, screaming your topic is lame. Don't yell at me to get me to come and post.

Second, saying that video games make kids violent or anything else is a cop out by worthless parents who would rather point fingers rather than accept their own short commings as parents.

I have a BS in Child Development, and was a teacher for 5 years. It has amazed me over the time I worked with children to see the complete lack of responcibility that parents have today when it comes to their children. A parent's job is to prepare their child for the world. This means teaching children how the world works in age appropriate ways.

in the world nothing worth anything is free. Parents need to treat things like video games as a reward for children taking care of their responcibilities. Just as in the real world when they grow up, they will earn a paycheck for puttng in hours at work. It teaches children to respect and learn the value of what they have rather than having everything given to them.

As far as video games teaching children violence, if parents teach their children good values by making a good example of themselves, this will not be a problem.

The bottom line is that parents need to realize that when they have a child planned or not, that raising that child is their number one responcibility in the world. After all, that child will more than likley be taking care of them one day.
jcvincent
for me, video games are not bad. It's on the way it is being played. video games were created for fun. But young children should not be exposed to some violent video games at their young age. Perhaps a young adult can play violent video games but not kids ages 0-15. I believe that even though it's just a game, it can still influence the mind set of the gamer. especially kids.

I read something about the brain. somewhere in the local news paper here in the Philippines. It says that the brain is more active when sleeping than playing video games or watching tv. So i guess video games is bad. But, if you're not that addict as a gamer. For example 1-2 hours of video games a week, then it won't make people dumb.

Video games were created for fun. It was not created for us to live with it.

By the way. The bestvideo game that I played was Breath of Fire III.


Peace!
wombatrpgs
Just another thing to add, I'm not sure online games are the thing for younger children. Ever been playing something like the online version of Halo, only to hear the voice of a seven-year-old through the speakers?
The vulgarity of some of the other online players will at least harden younger children, who may even believe such rudeness is a given in the real word.
Videogames in general, really, might not make kids believe that the game is the real world, (distinguishing fantasy and reality,) but it may give kids the idea that some of these things are common in the real world, expecially for kids >10 or so, who don't have much experience with the world around them. They ar certainly hardened by things like this, and even if they don't consider actually DOING them, they still might be tempted, or do something stupid.
I think what really matters with this issue is for parents to follow the rating system. There are too many seven-year-olds that own Halo and Grand Theft Auto.
guissmo
RNTEACHER wrote:
I am in my twenties and I have been playing video games since i was very little and I still enjoy them today! I have played all genre of video game from Mario to Grand Theft Auto series. From Resident Evil to Mortal Kombat and the Zelda series. My point is that I turned out just fine and I have made no plans on going on a killing spree or robbing anybody! I think my parents did a good job and thats why I'm the good person I am today. To blame video games for the reasons people do the evil things they do in this world today is just an excuse for bad parenting!! I guess some of you morans beleive that the world was free of violence all together before video games and movies were introduced to the human race! LOL This is just pathetic people!!! I f your kids end up in prison, maybe the problem was you!!!!! LEAVE VIDEO GAMES ALONE!! I didn't even see close to half the violence I see in most games these days in this video! Someone always has to b***h about something! Even if we didn't have any of the violence in video games or movies someone would be b***hing about something else!!! Besides, video games are aimed at an older audience and they will NEVER go away no matter what, so stop wasting your time and mine!!!
But that's just my ideas... WHAT DO YOU THINK??


Er... Mario teaches us to kill enemies by jumping at them. You didn't see people in Mario's time jumping on their mortal enemies... right? GTA III or some other violence game is just to make you have fun, killing "people" without really killing people or going to real jail. And I can say that games like these EVEN prevent these things happen to real life as the curiosity of killing "people" is satisfied with these video games. However, this is just my opinion and I'm still open-minded about this topic.
woozzii
I play games since i was 6. I played first tetris of course, than mario doom, duke nukem, Half- Life and GTAIII, GTA Vice City (my fav from the GTA series), San Andreas and a couple of violent games. Now I'm 16 year old, pacifist, vegetarian since 10 years (only in the family), and i wont kill anybody. I hate when mommies blame video games just why they dont have to do anything!

Sorry for my bad english
IceNinjaa
the thing with this accusation is just looking for any reason to blame what happens in terms of murders or child rampages. they just cant seem to accept the fact that sometimes theres just bad parenting, and other environmental issues.

so to blame these things on video games is absurd. i too have played video games all my life and played all different genres. granted when im in violent video games i go nuts i find it relieving because i can release some anger.

all in all its the parents that alter how their child is brought up.
Wynand
RNTEACHER

I actually think that video games are very good for children that grow up in stable homes with good parents. It teaches you hand-eye coordination and a lot of other facts about live. It is also good fun.

There is however a downside to this. People that are not as stable as you witch may not have had the good parent that you had that thought you about life, may think that some violent video games are the reality.

They may use the video games at first for some stress relief but later on they will want to do in real life what goes on in the video game!
nmxdesigns
No, they are good. They keep kids from going out and making trouble, they probally have the opposite effect. It's b/s about how kids go and kill someone after playing GTA. Maybe once in the blue moon? But that's probally because their parents are idiots and brought them up bad... Games are for fun and relaxing, not a killing machine. Laughing
insanesnoopy
In moderation. Video games have been known to increase brain activity and problem solving skills.

But like all things they have to be practiced in moderation. Video games can also become an addiction, when the child starts to turn away other opportunities because of the video game then I would have to say that it has become a problem.

But in my honest opinion they are no more harmful (and probably less harmful) then TV, Radio, and the other sources of media that also zap away our time, but these as well as hammering us with millions of messages daily.

Cheers
insanesnoopy
Just as an added note to the reply. I do not think that video games or movies or music or PARENTS get a child to do an "evil" act.

If it were parents, then you would end up just like you brother or sister. We have to stop looking at one issue in these types of instances. In all honestly we choose our own actions based on our identities.....if you see yourself as someone capable and willing to murder someone...then it doesn't matter if you grew up watching "Leave it to Beaver", listening to Gospel, and playing "Snakes and Ladders".

In these types of issues there are a number of varibles to look at. The problem with blaming one avernue is that it gives a cop up.

There is a story that circulates and talks about two brothers that have a father that ended up in prision after killing their mother. Years later one of the brothers ends up in Prision himself for armed robbery, while the other brother ends up successful, great job, loving family, nice house....when asked "Why do you think you turned out the way you did?" They BOTH answer....."With a father like mine how else would you expect me to turn out."

Interesting story, and simply shows that it is how you percieve the things that happen to you, and the identity that you have for yourself, that determines who you are.

That is where we can help kids....parents, friends, teachers.....let's stop looking the "The answer" and working on an answer.

Sorry to go on about this, but it is a heated topic for me.

Cheers
sharp
Video games in general are not bad for kids at all, as a matter of fact it helps tune many skills and especially at a young age, also helps prevent the fear of major electronics for future use.

I must add though that it should be monitored as to the time your child plays and the content [without being over bearing]. If you sit there all day long playing games you end up like some friends of mine who do nothing but sit and play as they have always done, and now they are in their thirties, some in their forties. I have a good laugh about it when I leave and to their faces as well, and im not saying theres an age limit, but theres a time and a place and you shouldnt place all your days time into one event. If as a child you play 1-2 hours a day and play out doors for a few hours and then study before bed, keep it steady and it WILL carry on later in life, maybe not in the twenties, when they rebel, but maybe their thirties when life has taken its toll a bit, as a taste for what will hit you harder later on. I would prefer my child to play a computer game, and spend an hour learning something about a computer, information to help later in life in many different aspects.
Related topics
Video Games
Survey: Which type of advertisements are you interested in?
PVPMachine - Paintball, Video Games, PC
Video Games any one?
these are our children...
Teenager addicted to WoW; plays for 16 hours per day
Retro Gaming
Video games cause Epilepsy (Fits)?
Video Games
Adult Content and Violence in Video Games ??
Does violence in video games elicit violent behavior?
The best video games of 2007.
Violent Games Can Hinder Development of Empathy in Children
Video Games are bad!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.