FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GOM Player

crasso
http://www.gomplayer.com/main.html

Is this nice free piece of software for Windows tried by someone here?

I have checked it for a few days and I may tell this is my next video player! Smile

I was using BSPlayer (http://www.bsplayer.org/) for almost 5 years and this is the first time when I felt in a moment "this is it!".

Simple, nice looking, with absolutely all of the commands fast accessible, perfect subtitle implementation, and, of course, shared as freeware.
So many pros, I would like to hear some cons from you. I hope some crossplatform version could be downloaded soon...
otiscom
Not much info on their site.
Could be adware or something perhaps?
orno
website says freeware but a bit of googling seems to suggest that it is a (very) popular player with japanese/korean/chinese (you get the idea) users

maybe something worth testing out just for the heck of it Razz
otiscom
I have tried it and it seems clean.
When playing video in it seems smoother than media player or anything else.
crasso
I have mentioned this player to my friend who actually use video player on his computers incredible piece of time and effort (he spends a great majority of his free time watching anime, movies and series), and he told me that he never find some video player to be so good at the first sight. He told me that GOM has perfect subtitle solution for the anime formats (don't tell me about the details, just go for it if you are an anime lover...Very Happy ).

Too bad I'm moving on the Xubuntu these days...
Ranfaroth
crasso wrote:
I would like to hear some cons from you.
It seems to be closed source.
ganesh
I have a nagging feeling, though no technical proof, that this Gomplayer is based on mplayer port to Windows. The download size looks similar, and so do the features. [Please, Please.. I am not making any accusations]

And it is closed source, so you never know what the exe file is doing behind the scenes.

Thanks, but no, thanks! I prefer staying with mplayer and its Windows GUI front end MPUI. For advanced capabilities like making the computer act as a streaming server, I would go in for VLC.

Open source rules!
Indyan
The thing about vlc is stupid interface and no full screen controlls. That is extremely annoying. So I am using Crystal Player for now ( its closed source and also not free).
Gomplayer is not bad. The sound quality is quite nice.
crasso
ganesh wrote:
I have a nagging feeling, though no technical proof, that this Gomplayer is based on mplayer port to Windows. The download size looks similar, and so do the features. [Please, Please.. I am not making any accusations]

I don't think so. Even if someone try to port MPlayer anonymously to the win32, they should sweat to make it the same size as in native platform. Ant the features is just the union of all known features, afaic.

ganesh wrote:
And it is closed source, so you never know what the exe file is doing behind the scenes.

This is kind of "paranoic" attitude... I think nobody can make malign obscure piece of software these days. Your antivirus, antispyware or firewall would recognize that. And if it doesn't, just google for the name of the software and you should get on the first page of results some link with that caution.

ganesh wrote:
Thanks, but no, thanks! I prefer staying with mplayer and its Windows GUI front end MPUI. For advanced capabilities like making the computer act as a streaming server, I would go in for VLC.

Thanks for the name of this port. I don't know why I never try it... Thanks again, I downloaded it already...

ganesh wrote:
Open source rules!

Yep! Very Happy
Ranfaroth
crasso wrote:
This is kind of "paranoic" attitude...
With all spywares and malwares which can be find in end-user computer, I don't think it can really be called "paranoic attitude"...
Quote:
Your antivirus, antispyware or firewall would recognize that.
When they'll do, it will be too late...
crasso
I don't know... I don't want to acuse anybody (just like you ganesh said you don't want), but I really don't know why you are thinking this piece of software may do harmful things.
Quote:
Quote:
Your antivirus, antispyware or firewall would recognize that.
When they'll do, it will be too late...

Ok, sorry, I'm not glad going offtopic and surely I'm not an expert for security... I was defending software I like. Very Happy