FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AOL = Gold Diggers. Literally

S3nd K3ys
Quote:
With shovels, AOL looks for retribution

Internet company to dig for gold at home of spammer's parents
Wednesday, August 16, 2006; Posted: 8:34 a.m. EDT (12:34 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- AOL is preparing to dig for buried gold and platinum on property in Massachusetts owned by the parents of a man it sued for sending millions of unwanted spam e-mails to its customers.

MORE

No love lost for spammers here, but I got a kick out of this one. The thought of AOL (kings of snail mail spam - how many 500 free hour CD's have you thrown away?) hacking around in some peoples yard looking for burried treasure just amusese me.
Traveller
S3nd K3ys wrote:
... how many 500 free hour CD's have you thrown away?)

Why throw away free coasters? Laughing
S3nd K3ys
Traveller wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
... how many 500 free hour CD's have you thrown away?)

Why throw away free coasters? Laughing

I'll drink to that! Very Happy
alkady
C'mon I'd do the very Same Thing, I run a Internet Company and If any spammer would try to spam my servers, I'd have my Lawyer(s) yes Lawyers, On their back until all they have left is their Underwears.
S3nd K3ys
alkady wrote:
C'mon I'd do the very Same Thing, I run a Internet Company and If any spammer would try to spam my servers, I'd have my Lawyer(s) yes Lawyers, On their back until all they have left is their Underwears.

LoL. And I suppose the reason for using frihost is because you spent all your money on lawyers?!?! Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing
alkady
Yes, Thats exactly why! They don't come cheap I tell you, I tried finding one at Wal-Mart but all I got was a Law Student...

Nah, I just use frihost because I was here way before I launched my Internet Company and Got my own Space! I just continue posting here because it's a grrreat! Place.
S3nd K3ys
alkady wrote:
Yes, Thats exactly why! They don't come cheap I tell you, I tried finding one at Wal-Mart but all I got was a Law Student...

Nah, I just use frihost because I was here way before I launched my Internet Company and Got my own Space! I just continue posting here because it's a grrreat! Place.

And you have been so successful that you have lawyers on retainer...

*cough*bs*cough* Wink
jds10912
i laughed when i heard about this at first Laughing , but it turns out that the place that they are digging up is pretty much in my backyard Shocked
jb2_86_uk
I thought AOL = America Online.....

Very Happy JB
Mayday
Yea AOL is America Online, it's funny that they are digging around in some guys back yard, how would they have found out? Did he blab it to them to keep from pulling money from his pocket? The thought of AOL in general makes my eye twitch though, they are gold diggers in more sense than one. lol Twisted Evil
GProject
S3nd K3ys wrote:
(how many 500 free hour CD's have you thrown away?)

I like how this has become such a stereotype for AOL - we did used to get free trial CDs every so often, but I can't say that I've seen one come through my door in ages now. I wonder if they are trying to detach themselves from the stigma of being so wasteful.
Tasa
AOL is not America Online. America Online does not exist any longer. They changed there name about 2 or 3 months ago to AOL. They also for the most part stopped sending the disks because they have other ways to make money besides new regs. Which is why they went to that free service now for people with Highspeed and dropped the price of the dial up to 9.95
alkady
GProject wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
(how many 500 free hour CD's have you thrown away?)

I like how this has become such a stereotype for AOL - we did used to get free trial CDs every so often, but I can't say that I've seen one come through my door in ages now. I wonder if they are trying to detach themselves from the stigma of being so wasteful.

Actually they still do exist, The last time I seem them, People where able to voluntarily take a copy or two at Canadian Tire or the Royal Bank. Too bad me and my Friends enjoy taking them all and using them as a One Way Frisbee! I think that was 2 Years agos. I havent seem them too for some time, But I'm probably sure that all the criticism make them think twice.
izcool
I've seen numerous and ingenious uses for AOL CD's.

1. As mentioned above, as drink coasters.
2. As frisbees (I've done this myself, it's fun).
3. You can use it to paint your car or your wall with, like this page shows.
4. A music store that I go into sometimes has 2 discs glued together (so that the shiny side is showing on the outside). They have them hanging from the ceiling with the string that goes on fishing poles.
5. Glue a stick to a CD and then you have a fly swatter.
...The list can go on and on.

My favorite would probably be the car paint job.

I remember back in the olden days when they would come on floppies, you would erase the files on the disk and get a free disk. Razz

Still, I think that's awfully strange that they're after a spammer when they're really the spammers by giving away too many CD's that most of us don't want.

- Mike.
Reaper
digging for gold and platinum? They must be really desperate for money if there trying to dig for gold, guess all the costs of those free cds finally caught up with them Laughing
Blaster
I would be like you ain't digging on my property tuff shit if you think you will get away with it. Then i'd go and start digging myself.

Also them disks make good for putting on your celling and looking at. Also breaking to get anger out. Glue 5 together and you have a cool frisbe. There are tons you can do with it Very Happy