FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Palm future ?

cchantrain
I read that Palm OS will not be used on the next Palm device... What is gonna be the future of this Palm OS ? I planned to buy a new Palm but is it still a good idea ?
psycosquirrel
I think they will be running a mobile version of Windows, which will obviously be better than PalmOS...
INeedHelp
I wonder if my Palm Tungetsen (spelling?) will be able to update to that or if I will be left behind...Oh well I only paid like $50 for it brand new (Gotta love Black Friday!).
disidro
I think you're quite right but not totally. Palm Inc. (formerly Palm) sure is using Palm OS 5 in new devices (as well as Windows Mobile), but it is not using the new operating system from PalmSource (which spun off from Palm and later was acquired by Access), that will be released some time next year.
pudovkin
I think Palm's OS looks old. Everything. They should make a new UI for the next version, like the evolution from Windows 2K thru XP.
However, I stick with Palm instead Windows Mobile for two main reasons:
- applications: Palm's set is more diverse;
- HW: better cost-benefit, good looking and performance...

* I have a T3 and the only problem is the battery life. BIG problem, however.
tester9
pudovkin wrote:
I think Palm's OS looks old. Everything. They should make a new UI for the next version.

there are different commercial and freeware programs which tune up the palm os design. Wink

e.g. silkscreen or different launchers change the appearance.
maybe look there:
http://www.pdassi.com

and something to windows mobile shit:
windows mobile is very ressource guzzling.
one example: a "normal" palm works very well with a 130 mhz cpu.
for windows mobile are now even 400 mhz processors availible. and you have to think about: is such a small organizer a high performance desktop machine or is it more a small shedular with different extras Wink
cchantrain
You are right. I checked for medical applications and Palm seems to offer more choice. In addition, Palm application require less ressources for the same (even faster) result.
cchantrain
Moreove, I am a Macuser and the synchronisation with Windows Mobile is not that great. For our OS Palm is the "only" stable possibility. I seriously think to get the Palm Tx which offers good config for a decent price. I am just wondering whether this one year system will be upgraded soon (and therefore will have an reduced price). Anyone has an idea ?