FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Interesting facts about your state

S3nd K3ys
California

One out of every eight United States residents lives in California.

California has the 7th largest economy in the world and the largest economy in the US.

California has hundreds of detectable earthquakes every single day.

California plants seven trees for every tree it cuts down, and retains nearly the same amount of forest as was present 100 years ago.
schudder
Of course, you kind of have the problem here that a lot of people don't live in the USA, so they can't talk about their "state", only their country... Or province... Or citystate perhaps, like Vatican City or so...

About Belgium:

1) We (unfortunately) have a very big and very important weapon's factory, which even produces weapons for the US Secret Service.

2) We have 4 levels of government and 6 central governments (including parliament and all) in the top 2 of those levels. We only have 10.4 million inhabitants though. Gotta love trilingual countries.

3) We used to have a colony (Congo) that was 73 times larger than our own country.

4) We have the best fries, beers, chocolates & girls in the world.
orno
schudder wrote:
4) We have the best fries, beers, chocolates & girls in the world.

i shall gladly dispute that statement and say that germany has the best fries and beers...

chocolates, fine, belgium is good (great even) but girls, no way Smile
ocalhoun
Florida:
Sunshine state, yet lightning capitol of the US.
Only 1 in 30 people in Florida were born in Florida. (I'm native Floridian.)
Leading industries: construction, healthcare, tourisim. (all basicly for the same reason: Florida is America's retirement home.)
Highest Point in penensular Florida (where I happen to work) is less than 300ft above sea level.
KernEnergie
France

We are the Cheese country.
We are the first and the more visited country in the world.
We beheaded our King in 1793 Rolling Eyes
We have Versailles, The Eiffel Tower, Chambord...
We refused to take part to the war in Iraq...
We don't eat frogs often but we do eat snails and it's good.
alkady
Montreal

Montreal is the Only place in Quebec that is Highly Anglophone.

Quebec is the Only place in Canada where your Business name has to be French and English. (But to outsmart the system, Create new Words. Thats how I outsmarted the system, My company operates on a Unique English Word and they can't do **** about it)

Quebec is where Poutine Came from.

Quebec is the Only place in the World that speaks "Le Franglais" where English and French mix in Harmony "Mon Esti Tabarnac de Frihosting Calise de Poster" See what I mean!
SusieSmacktard
Pennsylvania

Home of Grover Cleveland's tumor(Mutter Museum of Medical Odditites in Philadelphia)
Also home to the towns "Intercourse" and "Blue Ball"
The US Declaration of Independence was written in Pennsylvania
Has 2 counties with NO traffic lights
Leads the United States in the production of the following: pretzels, potato chips, mushrooms and scrapple.

The last statistic probably explains why so many PA residents are pretty fat.....
S3nd K3ys
SusieSmacktard wrote:

That's funny! Oxymoron Wink
Helios
Israel

1. Weather is Hot.
2. Overall situation is tense and hot.
3. People's brains are way overheated (1st place - the angry drivers).
4. No matter what, Hummus is always tasty Razz
5. Did I mention it's really really hot here? Rolling Eyes

Come to Israel and have a wonderful vecation Smile
New attraction: collect your own Katyusha souvenirs, for the folks at home! Very Happy
S3nd K3ys
Helios wrote:
Israel

1. Weather is Hot.
3. People's brains are way over heated (1st place - the angry drivers).

New attraction: collect your own Katyusha souvenirs, for the folk at home! Very Happy

It's nice to see a sense of humor, Helios. Hope all is well for you there. It's not over. You know that, right?
knullasvensk
Michigan (America's High five!)

It's illegal to tie your alligator to a fire hydrant.
You can be arrested for leaving your hoop skirt in the road.
We are the only place you can find genuine Petosky Stones.
GREAT LAKES.
Maddona was born in Detroit.
There are other cities in Michigan besides Detroit.
We have an Upper and Lower Peninsula.
Soulfire
Michigan!

Some of these have already been said, but hey, whatever.

- It IS illegal to tie an alligator to a fire hydrant.
- In Detroit, it's illegal to read a newspaper in the middle of the street.

Some Basics:
Capitol: Lansing

Became the 26th state
to enter the union on
Jan. 26, 1837

State flower: apple blossom

State bird: robin

State song: "Michigan,
My Michigan"

State tree: white pine

State motto: Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice
(If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look around you)

Nickname: "Wolverine state" or "The Great Lake State"

50 more firsts, facts, and trivia to feed your brain about Michigan:
Quote:
Detroit is known as the car capital of the world:

Alpena is the home of the world's largest cement plant.

Rogers City boasts the world's largest limestone quarry.

Elsie is the home of the world's largest registered Holstein dairy herd.

Michigan is first in the United States production of peat and magnesium compounds and second in gypsum and iron ore.

Colon is home to the world's largest manufacture of magic supplies.

The state Capitol with its majestic dome was built in Lansing in l879.

Although Michigan is often called the "Wolverine State" there are no longer any wolverines in Michigan.

Michigan ranks first in state boat registrations.

The Packard Motor Car Company in Detroit manufactured the first air-conditioned car in 1939.

The oldest county (based on date of incorporation) is Wayne in 1815.

Sault Ste. Marie was founded by Father Jacques Marquette in 1668. It is the third oldest remaining settlement in the United States.

In 1817 the University of Michigan was the first university established by any of the states. Originally named Cathelepistemian and located in Detroit the name was changed in 1821. The university moved to Ann Arbor in 1841.

The city of Novi was named from its designation as Stagecoach Stop # 6 or No.VI.

Michigan State University has the largest single campus student body of any Michigan university. It is the largest institution of higher learning in the state and one of the largest universities in the country.

Michigan State University was founded in 1855 as the nation's first land-grant university and served as the prototype for 69 land-grant institutions later established under the Morrill Act of 1862. It was the first institution of higher learning in the nation to teach scientific agriculture.

The largest village in Michigan is Caro.

Michigan's state stone, The Petoskey is the official state stone. It is found along the shores of Lake Michigan.

The Mackinac Bridge is one of the longest suspension bridges in the world. Connecting the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan, it spans 5 miles over the Straits of Mackinac, which is where Lake Michigan and Lake Huron meet. The Mighty Mac took 3 years to complete and was opened to traffic in 1957.

Gerald R. Ford grew up in Grand Rapids and became the 38th president of the United States He attended the University of Michigan where he was a football star. He served on a World War II aircraft carrier and afterward represented Michigan in Congress for 24 years. He was also was an Eagle Scout, the highest rank in Boy Scouts.

The Kellogg Company has made Battle Creek the Cereal Capital of the World. The Kellogg brothers accidentally discovered the process for producing flaked cereal products and sparked the beginning of the dry cereal industry.

The painted turtle is Michigan's state reptile.

The western shore of Michigan has many sand dunes. The Sleeping Bear Dunes rise 460 feet above Lake Michigan. Living among the dunes is the dwarf lake iris the official state wildflower.

Vernors ginger ale was created in Detroit and became the first soda pop made in the United States. In 1862, pharmacist James Vernor was trying to create a new beverage when he was called away to serve our country in the Civil War. When he returned, 4 years later, the drink he had stored in an oak case had acquired a delicious gingery flavor.

The Detroit Zoo was the first zoo in America to feature cageless, open-exhibits that allowed the animals more freedom to roam.

Michigan is the only place in the world with a floating post office. The J.W. Westcott II is the only boat in the world that delivers mail to ships while they are still underway. They have been operating for 125 years.

Indian River is the home of the largest crucifix in the world. It is called the Cross in the Woods.

Michigan has the longest freshwater shoreline in the world.

Michigan has more shoreline than any other state except Alaska.

The Ambassador Bridge was named by Joseph Bower, the person credited with making the bridge a reality, who thought the name "Detroit-Windsor International Bridge" as too long and lacked emotional appeal. Bower wanted to "symbolize the visible expression of friendship of two peoples with like ideas and ideals."

Michigan has more than 11,000 inland lakes and more than 36,000 miles of streams.

Michigan has 116 lighthouses and navigational lights.

Seul Choix Point Lighthouse in Gulliver has been guiding ships since 1895. The working light also functions as a museum, which houses early 1900s furnishings and maritime artifacts.

Forty of the state's 83 counties adjoin at least one of the Great Lakes. Michigan is the only state that touches four of the five Great Lakes.

Standing anywhere in the state a person is within 85 miles of one of the Great Lakes.

Michigan includes 56,954 square miles of land area; 1,194 square miles of inland waters; and 38,575 square miles of Great Lakes water area.

Sault Ste. Marie was established in 1668 making it the oldest town between the Alleghenies and the Rockies.

Michigan was the first state to provide in its Constitution for the establishment of public libraries.

Michigan was the first state to guarantee every child the right to tax-paid high school education.

Four flags have flown over Michigan - French, English, Spanish and United States.

Isle Royal Park shelters one of the largest moose herds remaining in the United States.

Some of the longest bulk freight carriers in the world operate on the Great Lakes. Ore carriers 1,000 feet long sail Michigan's inland seas.

The Upper Michigan Copper Country is the largest commercial deposit of native copper in the world.

The 19 chandeliers in the Capitol in Lansing are one of a kind and designed especially for the building by Tiffany's of New York. Weighing between 800-900 pounds apiece they are composed of copper, iron and pewter.

The first auto traffic tunnel built between two nations was the mile-long Detroit-Windsor tunnel under the Detroit River.

The world's first international submarine railway tunnel was opened between Port Huron, Michigan and Sarnia, Ontario, Canada in 1891.

The nation's first regularly scheduled air passage service began operation between Grand Rapids and Detroit in 1926.

In 1879 Detroit telephone customers were first in the nation to be assigned phone numbers to facilitate handling calls.

In 1929, the Michigan State Police established the first state police radio system in the world.

Grand Rapids is home to the 24-foot Leonardo da Vinci horse, called Il Gavallo, it is the largest equestrian bronze sculpture in the Western Hemisphere.
Source:SHG Resources
Vrythramax
Massachusetts

Birthplace of the American Revolution,
The Boston Tea Party,
The shot heard around the world,
The first settlement with the Pilgrims,
Plimouth Rock (yes I spelled it correctly),
Plimouth Plantation, the first (long) settlement in the United States.
Blaster
SusieSmacktard wrote:
Pennsylvania

Home of Grover Cleveland's tumor(Mutter Museum of Medical Odditites in Philadelphia)
The US Declaration of Independence was written in Pennsylvania
Has 2 counties with NO traffic lights
Leads the United States in the production of the following: pretzels, potato chips, mushrooms and scrapple.

The last statistic probably explains why so many PA residents are pretty fat.....

OMG you for got the best thing about philly and thats the cheesesteak.

@Helios that isn't really that hot. Its the same as around here and in florida. No try to live where i live we get hot weather and cold weather.

Also in pa
1)Philly is home to the cheesesteak
2)The second state to be put in the us a couple of days after deleware was.
3)We have some of the best weather if you are not on the mountains. Its not to hot or too cold.
4)We have some of the oldest mountains in The US.
Liu
California:

Most of the movies you guys watch come from us.
Blaster
Yea from hollywood but philly is home to some good movies in itself. We have Rocky Rocky 2 Rocky 3 Rocky 4 Rocky 5 and soon to be Rocky 6 (look for me in it Very Happy) Also Signs and a couple other ones Very Happy
mceejaydee
S3nd K3ys wrote:
California

One out of every eight United States residents lives in California.

California has the 7th largest economy in the world and the largest economy in the US.

California has hundreds of detectable earthquakes every single day.

California plants seven trees for every tree it cuts down, and retains nearly the same amount of forest as was present 100 years ago.

Let me add. Where all the best rappers come from Wink
Helios
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Helios wrote:
Israel

1. Weather is Hot.

New attraction: collect your own Katyusha souvenirs, for the folks at home! Very Happy

It's nice to see a sense of humor, Helios. Hope all is well for you there. It's not over. You know that, right?

More Katyusha souvenirs then! Very Happy
Seriously, I hope not to see those things ever again...
snowboardalliance
Michigan

A lot was mentioned but I remember that Detroit is like the fattest city which is slightly disturbing.
Vrythramax
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Helios wrote:
Israel

1. Weather is Hot.

New attraction: collect your own Katyusha souvenirs, for the folk at home! Very Happy

Forgive me people, but what exactly did you mean by "it's not over" keys??
Rev` -
The geographical extreme points of Croatia are

* Northernmost point:
o Žabnik, municipality of Sveti Martin na Muri (administratively in the Međimurje county) - 46°33′N 16°22′E
* Southernmost point:
o Islet Galijula, an islet in Palagruža archipelago in the Adriatic Sea (administratively belongs to the city of Komiža, Split-Dalmatia county) - 42°23′N 16°21′E
o On the mainland: Rt Oštra at the Prevlaka peninsula (administratively in the municipality of Cavtat) - 42°24′N 18°32′E
* Easternmost point:
o Rađevac, a part of Ilok (administratively part of the city of Ilok, Vukovar-Srijem county) - 45°12′N 19°27′E
* Westernmost point:
o Cape Lako (rt Lako), Bašanija (administratively part of the city of Umag, Istria county) - 45°29′N 13°30′E
o On smaller scale maps the information is consolidated, so the westernmost point are the cape Savudrija and the settlement of Savudrija.

That are apsolutly beautiful and interesting points of view
EnsiferuM_
I live in oregon. Nothing too interesting in Oregon.
Loghete
Finland

-Finland was the 2nd country to introduce right to vote for women.
-Finland is the country with most forrest in comparison with the area.
-Finland has got 188.000 lakes.
-There's more cell phones per capita in Finland than in any other country in the world. (oh wow Rolling Eyes , I just got this from a site)

EDIT: -The guy who invented Linux is from Finland.. Woo!
S3nd K3ys
Vrythramax wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Helios wrote:
Israel

1. Weather is Hot.

Forgive me people, but what exactly did you mean by "it's not over" keys??

Not sure what you're asking, max. I thought it was pretty clear.

"IT" referring to the previous,
"NOT" referring to in no way, to no degree,
and
"OVER" referring to at an end.

Hence "It's not over", when taken in the context of the quotes above, would be that something relating to Helios has not ended. Using common sense and the most basic of reading and comprehension skills, one would deduce that the Israel/Terrorist (read hesbollah) conflict has not ended.

If that doesn't clear it up for you, let me know. Wink
Shiva
Facts about Denmark...

We have the worlds oldest movie record scene still in use..

We have the worlds biggest containership

Our flag is the oldest in the world

Denmark has never been under the control of another country or other king, as the only one in the world.

We had Aqua Cool

H. C. Anderson was danish!

We have freedom of speech..

It was a dane who wrote the C++ language

Very Happy
CanadianGeek
Canada...

Highest Point: Mount Logan
Lowest Point: Sea level
Has the highest tides in the world in the bay of fundy and the leaf basin (which are tied).
Has recorded the highest tide ever at 71 feet.
Has the second coldest climate of any country (Russia is first).
Second biggest country in the world.
Second biggest oil reserve in the world.
35 percent of all music on Canadadian based radio stations must be Canadian content. 80 percent for satellite radio stations based in Canada.
It was once illegal to caffeinate any drinks in Canada other than "dark" soft drinks such as pepsi or cola.
Traveller
In Honduras, what the Americans would call "states" are called "departamentos." "Atlántida," the departamento in which I live, is on the Northern coast of Honduras, on the Caribbean Sea. It has both the beauty of nature:

and the ugliness of poverty:

The main language here is Spanish, but there is some English - both because of Americans, and because of certain Bay Islanders, and also some Garifuna.

La Ceiba, the largest city in Atlántida, is the third-largest city in Honduras, but it is quite a distant third, after Tegucigalpa (the capital of Honduras) and San Pedro Sula.
williams_fan
Shiva wrote:
We had Aqua Cool

That's definately something worth to mention! Used to be one of my favourite bands/songs back in the days.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/178326/barbie_girl_aqua/
mschnell
Everything you need to know about Iowa can be gathered through the movie Field of Dreams.

Quote:
"Is this heaven?"
" No...It's Iowa."