FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

do people now a days still like to read?

mikewould
do people now a days still like to read?

what else do you do instead of reading?
kronso.23
I actually just got done reading an enormous book on vb.net, and I am now starting to read another book on C++. I have been doing a tremendous amount of reading lately, and I feel it is the best way to learn. a good neutral, and informative book, not one that is biased. Because you learn at your own speed, and make use of the learned information how you want.
babyboyz
yep...you should take a tube ride in London.

People read anything if only to avoid looking at each other Laughing

but seriously, I go to the bookstore minimum once a month and I tend to spend a few hours picking up a selection of books I am actually running out of space for them. There is so much to read, even more to learn and with all the waiting around people have more time than they think.
tkGER
I think that there are still lots of people who read BOOKS nowadays. I mean real books, you can't compare the feeling of having a book in your hands with that of reading from a screen.
I also read e-books, but I still prefer the real thing... Printed e-books do not count Wink
jipmerite
I have tried reading ebooks on PC and Laptop and I have to agree with you. The feeling is quite different. It is much easier and more enjoyale to have the actual book in your hand. Reading from a screen would also be more stressful to the eyes.

I realised the joys of reading very recently. You can see the books I have bought in the last 2 years or so here.
Jakob [JaWGames]
I am reading as much as ever, both for knowledge and enjoyment.
Usually I read one "regular" book and one book about science or psychology at the same time.

And I must agree about that it is a certain "feeling" holding a good book.
evanc88
I read a lot, but sometimes I hit dry spells where I just don't want to read.

Other than reading I write sometimes, I love go to go shows and concerts (went to see Of Montreal with the Minders last night, it was great) and listen to music. I'm huge on music. Also I spend tons of time with my girlfriend of almost two years, she's amazing and still fun.
INeedHelp
At the very least I read before bed each night. I have a closet full of books that is getting smaller by the...probably by the week. I buy a crap load of books. Anyway I found that in high school people were reading less and less. I hate places like Sparknotes (I know they can be helpful read with the text, but people are reading them INSTEAD of the text) because they give people an easy way out. Reading should be enjoyable, but a lot of people don't want to take the time for it because they would rather be watching TV or playing video games or something.
ocalhoun
I visit the library at least once a week, and if I'm not busy at the time, I'll read an average of one book a day (if they're novels: non-fiction and classic books generaly take me a bit longer).
So yes, I read, but if you're looking for anyone who dosen't read anymore, this is the wrong forum to look in.
hades9366
Give me books or give me death, lol. Seriously I'd be lost without a book.
rip8fan1
I don't believe as many people read as used to, and I don't believe that the people who read, read as much as they used to. There are too many things that fight for your leisure time, than ever before.

I also believe that the people who do read, read a lot more 'mainstream' stuff, than the stuff that is 'really out there'. That is why 'The DaVinci Code' and "Harry Potter" are wildly popular, but you don't hear people reading the 'classics' anymore.

Last, but not least, I also think less people read a book more than once, than used to, because there are so many books to read, and less time to read them.
elincinerador
i don't know how it was in the past, but i think people read less than before... there are not so much strong readers, but there are a lot too of fanatic readers, people who had read almost everything... i don't know. i hope that some day people realise that reading can sometimes be more relaxing than watching tv.
Becky
I used to read loads, but now i dont read as much as i probaly should.
This is because i'm either at school, on the computer, or sleeping all the time.
So i dont have time to read, which i really dont like because i used to really enjoy reading.
A recent obsession of mine though is FANFICTION. Harry Potter ones to be precise. I once read a 35 chapter one in one day. It took AGES, but i really enjoyed it. Very Happy
hahame
these day ,i have not find a job ,i have nothing just the time,so i read many book for spand the time. but i just read them,i do not remember whatever about the metent
Discovery
I love reading, but I don't like reading ebooks. It's so much better to be curled up with a book in the evenings. Really, I like reading anything.
imera
I read as often as I can. But right in this moment I bearly have time to read a short novel.

My school work takes alot of time from me, at school and home. So whenever I have time I read something or do something I love. I hope that next year will be beter.
jimstelfox
I read most in the bath when I have my marathon 1 to 1 1/2 sessions, I also read when it's very sunny and too warm to do anything else.
I like detective and mystery stories either modern or ancient history.
ccer
Of course people still like reading. The reading habit and styles might have changed but they still do. I am quite a reader (but not my course books...hehe).

Ater you finish a book, it gives a very special sensation. And sometimes some books make great effect on you. But its important that you choose he right book before reading it.
newlife~
Discovery wrote:
I love reading, but I don't like reading ebooks. It's so much better to be curled up with a book in the evenings. Really, I like reading anything.

<newlife~t> I agree with Discovery ... there's nothing like the feel of a favorite book, in a quiet room, curled up underneath the light of a single lamp.

I don't consider myself a reader because I don't read book after book, but if my wife is reading one or if I hear about one on the radio (National Public Radio), I will try and get it at the library (I go for the book on tape/cd version because it's more convenient--but I still consider it reading.)

I defintely think that browsing the Internet, reading Email, and now posting on Frihost lessens the time I might normally take to read, whether it's a book-on-tape book or an actual one. Being more interested about creating a website has definitely even cut down on my book-on-tape time. Whereas before I could do chores and things while listening to a book, I can't do that while I'm online.
Obake
rip8fan1 wrote:
I don't believe as many people read as used to, and I don't believe that the people who read, read as much as they used to. There are too many things that fight for your leisure time, than ever before.

I'd like to know what time period you're thinking of to compare with when you say that. Historically, the ability to read has been the preserve of upper classes, particularly if you're talking about reading as a leisure activity rather than reading as a necessary skill. Leisure reading also didn't always have the positive connotation that it now does: there was a time, for example, when a young woman who read novels (not the Bible, which was another matter altogether) might be considered idle and not suitably concerned with either the running of the household or her own self-improvement.

And there was never a time where reading didn't compete with a bunch of other leisure activities. In London during the early nineteenth century, as an example, you had an incredible pub culture (promoted by the extremely wealthy and influential breweries and distilleries in the city), cofeehouses, all kinds of gambling, fencing, racing, and other sports, street musicians and performers, fairs, legitimate and illegitimate (melodrama, pantomime, burlesque) theatre, dinner parties and balls, boxing, dancing, street games...

Different options were available to you depending on which class you were in, how wealthy you were, and so on, but, remembering that this was a time when it was relatively commonplace for members of the working class to work twelve hours of the day, and when the English gentry in London held it as a mark of pride that they need not get up before 12 each day, that's an awful lot of competition for the book. And the printed novel at the time was still in its relative infancy.

You are probably right that there is a greater range of competing leisure activities around now. But I suspect what is more important is that there are more private forms of leisure available now. Most of the activities I listed before are conspicuously public, and that was how leisure was conducted in the early nineteenth century, but it's more often treated as something private now--and now many people don't have to leave the house or even have other people in the house to watch TV, see a movie, play an interactive game. Reading was always more a private than a social pursuit--and those are just a few of the private entertainments competing with reading now.

I will note, though, that the publishing industry is hardly dying, even against all that competition. More is being written and published than ever before, and the industry could not keep up that output if there wasn't good reason to expect profit from it--i.e., there is still a solid reading public out there.

I'd also like to point out that many of what we now consider to be 'classics' of literature were, in their day, works of popular literature themselves. I honestly believe that the Harry Potter series will eventually come to be considered a children's classic--it's had entirely too much influence on children's fantasy publishing and writing, popular culture, and the movie industry not to be recognised has having a lasting effect.

rip8fan1 wrote:
Last, but not least, I also think less people read a book more than once, than used to, because there are so many books to read, and less time to read them.

Hah. Quite possibly, although I'm not so sure about the "less time" part. But again, I would regard the fact that there continues to be so much published as a sign that, actually, people are reading more than ever, not less.
Cibes
I guess there are too many other possibilities for people to spent their leisure time, so a lot of people read not very much these days. I can understand that watching TV is sometimes easier than reading a book.
But a good book is at least as exciting as a good movie. Actually I'm often dissapointed when I see the movie that was made of a book, because so many cool funny great scenes are just missing!!! Confused
osbits
I think there are still people like reading but I am not sure if there are people read in a few years.
When I was a child, the only amusement is reading,but now there are so many alternatives. I did not read for many years. I mean reading paper books.
romaop
I see a lot of people reading in the last years. it's easy to get a good book at the local library.
Sometimes though people have no patience to read and prefer TV, games, music or movies.
But books have their own territory. I appreciate to read at my own pace, to take notes and make researches, to build slowly my view of the book story.
What's the hurry, anyway? if I don't read it in 4 days, maybe I'll read it in a week or 2. I really appreciate this freedom that books give.
KernEnergie
A book is expensive. I like reading, really I do, but buying 10euros or more a book, read it like three, four times and forget it in a corner of my house is not really...cool.
And I'm not even poor...But when you buy a TV, it's expensive but after you can do a lot of things with it, watch different things everyday. I understand why less and less people read.
onemoment
with the whole e-book thing and progression of literature with technology, actual books are becoming scarcer, but they will never die. however the price, theres nothing better than a fresh new paperback of your favourite author in your hands as you lay in bed or sit in a train or plane or whatever.
Montressor
e-books don't smell. There's nothing like opening an old novel, and getting a whiff of that "old book" smell. I don't care if they prove it to be chemically addictive (in fact I rather think and hope it is), and would care even less if they said it causes cancer. You just can not receive that "high" from clicking on a link and peering at a screen while continuously scrolling down a page.
ratface
im 15 years old, so i can be considered a youth i spose, and i LOVE to read. all my friends love reading and have diverse tastes. i recently read 1984 and I Robots by Issac Assimov (cant spell)

i always read before bed and during the day to relax, its a great way to wind down and get your mind off things. to me reading helps me to take my mind off the world. I know alot of people who use tv for this purpose, but i think reading is much better, and it doesnt NUMB YOUR BRAIN!
catscratches
I enjoy reading a lot!! I read around a book per week. When I'm not reading I'm listening to music, playing guitar or using the computer.
angelussum
I don't think so. Not books anyways. Less good quality books coming out these days.

Age of technology. People spend time on the internet, surfing, reading everything on the computer.
Nite Vizhun
I love to read, but it needs to be a good book. Lately I've had a hard time finding books that I enjoy. I like to read for escapism - I'm not into non-fiction, I get enough of that when I'm not reading a book. I especially like horror/occult and Sci. Fi. I've read most of Stephen King's books, and a lot of Richard Laymon and Bentley Little. I also enjoy Orson Scott Card and Isaac Asimov.
missdixy
I still LOVE reading, though now it is a little harder to find time, whatwith college applications and four AP/Honors classes (Physics, Calculus, Biology II and English IV Literature), as well as church and all my other extracurricular activities.
drdestiny
i read all teh time, but un fortunately, i dont really ahve time to read novels anymore so now i just normally just read off my computer or buy the lastest issue of the new yorker
jharsika
rip8fan1 wrote:

I also believe that the people who do read, read a lot more 'mainstream' stuff, than the stuff that is 'really out there'. That is why 'The DaVinci Code' and "Harry Potter" are wildly popular, but you don't hear people reading the 'classics' anymore.

I agree. I have trouble finding the time to just sit there and read, unless I start a book I know I can finish in a couple hours and it's really good, I just sit there and read til it's done Smile I also agree about the mainstream stuff. It's dumb how many un-intelligent books there are out there. Ones that will hardly improve your lanuage/comprehension/mind they are so ...dumb. IE Goosebumps, Mate & Dates etc I am currently reading the Count of Monte Cristo...whew that's a toughy. And the thing about reading books over...I don't really see how that's a bad thing, I made a rule for myself that I'd never re-read books so that I'd actually get around to reading all the other books I have.

INeedHelp wrote:
At the very least I read before bed each night. I have a closet full of books that is getting smaller by the...probably by the week. I buy a crap load of books. Anyway I found that in high school people were reading less and less. I hate places like Sparknotes (I know they can be helpful read with the text, but people are reading them INSTEAD of the text) because they give people an easy way out. Reading should be enjoyable, but a lot of people don't want to take the time for it because they would rather be watching TV or playing video games or something.

I always buy a few books a month and have around 6 out of the library at a time. Am reading ~7 at once right now Razz Sparknotes is awesome, I use it as a supplement to a book and I think it's fun to find out stuff about the characters you didn't know.

--
Anyone else read a million[ok I'm exagerrating] books at once? *raises
hand* How about graphic novels? Those are awesome, and not just the japanese kind but ones like V for Vendetta, Blankets, Elfquest etc. They are good quick read in between long novels.
roninmedia
I like to read, but can't always find a novel I want to read.

I read two newspaper a day everyday, though.
rameshbn1
I've always been a good reader. Since my childhood, I can't think of a day when I've been without a book that I was reading. And I'd go mad if I had to wait at a railway station or airport without a paperback with me Razz
rameshbn1
I've always been a good reader. Since my childhood, I can't think of a day when I've been without a book that I was reading. And I'd go mad if I had to wait at a railway station or airport without a paperback with me Razz
zipdaman12
rameshbn1 wrote:

Nothing can truly replace the experience of reading. It is not simply enjoying a story. There is the touch and feel of the paper, the smell, it is a truly multi sensory experience; tactile as well as philosophical.

I feel the same when comparing digital media, e-books etc... Nothing can compare to teh exact experience of reading a book.

Jack
rampantinsanity
I find it hard to get the extra time to read but I love reading when I can. It really helps that my library rocks. Seriously. They have anime. We've gotten all sorts of dvds from them and soon, they will even have games. Heh, my husband was really excited about that one.

I'm currently reading:

The world of the Druids by: Miranda J. Green:
Research for a writing project, its a good book overall, written fairly.

Sacred Ground by: Mercedes Lackey:
She's always been a huge favorite of mine and I'd never known her to write something like this before but so far, I love it. It's about a Native American Woman - Osage and Cherokee who is a PI, hired by an insurance company to investigate a possible fraud case. She's also a medicine woman.

My husband is reading: Paladin of Souls by Lois Bujold:
So far he seems to really like it, but I read the first bit and it seems a little too wordy, but I'll try it anyway.

Heh... Didn't mean for this to turn into a mini book review but eh, it's what happens when I'm involved with reading of any kind.

-Alunasa from Rampant Insanity
Alias
I really like to read specially those programming and manual books because I want my brain to always have some useful informations.
rampantinsanity
I really need to get some of those programming and manual books myself, there is a lot that I don't know. Heck, I only know basic html. How I'm going to transfer my forum to the new host and switch to phbb is beyond me. Does anyone know of some good books or resources for a real beginner like myself?

I pretty much go into the library and look for anything with "For dummies" attached to it. Lol.

-Alunasa from Rampant Insanity
saratdear
Certainly. I find reading a very good and pleasant way to pass the time. I guess I can be called a very avid reader. I used to read a lot till I got the PC. But still, I do like to read any new book that came before me. Especially any Harry Potter books.
Coclus
I still like to read, although the internet takes lots of my time...
ddukki
Well, that depends really on your definition of reading. A lot of people play video games nowadays that are basically books with live action. Dialogs are usually dubbed now, but there are games where most of the important things are written in text. But besides that.

Books are still my number one source of philosophy and literature. I can't stand reading e-books and literary analyses online. That's just me, but I don't think I'm the only one.
Dr Carruthers
I hear things like "children don't read any more", "children read more in the old days", etc... And honestly, I think it's snobbish and not true. There were always people who read less than others or didn't read at all. It all depends on education, family, personality...
So this question is a bit problematic.
Of course, there are a lot more other things you can do now than, say, 50 years ago (and that's quite a lot of time). You have computers. Internet. Hey, we are discussing this question on a message board... You have loads of TV channels. Anything you can imagine.
But still... I know quite a few people, who read a lot. A minority, maybe.

But when were the everyday readers in majority??

"Back in the old days", or when? In the middle ages? In the sixties? In the eighties?
Though, I have to agree, that with today's other possibilities, people read books less.
ergoe
I agree that it's so much harder now to entice kids/anyone to read more, what with the competition books have against technology -- TV, the internet, the mobile phone, XBox, etc. However, I agree that it's a snobbish idea to assume that a lot less people are reading nowadays.

Even poetry, which people have long-thought not to have a market, is actually very much alive.
Blu_Spykz
I'm 21, and I do like to read.
When not working out, or working period, I read or watch films.

Reading helps you escape the hassle of the real world, if even only for 4 hours a night.
linangan
I think that people still read. Even poetry, which a lot of people say is dead, still has a lot of readers. More people write poetry--publish it, hear it, and presumably read it--than ever before. No poet sells like Stephen King, and poetry is not as popular as professional wrestling, and that fewer and fewer people attend poetry readings. Still, we see a lot of people claiming of attempts at poetry.

Leaving poetry aside, let's look at authors such as JK Rowling whose seventh book I think will be out of stock the moment it hits the shelves. There's Eco, Murakami, Dan Brown if you may, who make a living by writing. For as long as there are people who can make money out of books, I think it's a pretty good assumption that people still read. You can maybe complain about the quality of the literature they consume, but of the quantity, I don't think so.
starfish2007
i love reading online any book i find intresting i will read
Dean_The_Great
Are you kidding? Reading is awesome! I'd take a good book over many different common forms of entertainment. I personally don't like to watch TV, too much product placement and advertisments. Have you seen that in a book? It's not in the books I read. (Although I have heard of new teen novels that have product placement... ugh, just another way to trash the minds of our youth.)

But yeah, I love to read. I only watch a television show (on DVD, commerical free) or a movie if I want some brain-dead escapism.
odinstag
I read all the time.

Mostly technical stuff and some times a true story kind of book.

But I love to read. Reading has served me well.
bigbadjohn
I travel 30 miles each way to work every day and on the odd occasion taking a break from listening to music. I tried reading some books, something I have done in the past quite a lot. Unfortunately because all your attention has to be on the book, to really enjoy it, I found too many distractions on my train journey every day..

That was until a friend told me about talking books, now some may find this is a lazy way to read a book or is in some way cheating.

I don't know about that, all I will say is that listening to a talking book on headphones,, while traveling to work or soaking in a bath, is a very enjoyable experience, you are immediately transported to another world or time and you can listen to it in a lot of different situations, like walking, surfing the internet, working with your computer etc...

A big factor in how enjoyable the experience is, can be attributed to the actor/actress reading the book, get a good one and it's great. Get one who is not so good and it could ruin the experience

If you look on google you will find some free books to start you off, such as Robinson Crusoe, Tale of Two Cities, some of the classics.
Vladalf
I love reading it's something that relaxes me. But I rarely read because school and work allways occupy my time... Maybe in the summer I'll have more time.
starfish2007
well i do read books but being blind i have no choice but to read them on the computer or in audio format on cd or tapes
tijn01
I absolutely love reading! If its a good book, I will finish it in days. A bad book can take months, but I'll usually pick something else up at the same time!
I love Salman Rushdie.... I have one of his waiting for me to pick it up!
I go into 'mourning' after a really good book and wont read for awhile...
I just read 'white teeth' and I loved it.... I read it in less than a week....
:D
twisthigh
I find more and more nowadays that I really enjoy reading, but they have to be good books, very interesting because I loose interest very quickly. If I'm not reading then I'm on the net, or at school or at work, or hanging out with my friends.
missdixy
Yes. Of course there are. We may be fewer in number (or rather, percentage) than the past but there are still millions of us!

Very Happy
Coclus
I still love to read,although I don't have the time to do it often.. but if i have a really suspenseful book it s hard for me to put it aside.
Shewolf
I love to read, original statment I know, I always have. Nowadays I don't have much time either, to do so, but in general I find that most people still are reading qite a lot. If not novels, so online instead.

Nothing is more alming that sitting in a quiet place, reading a good novel, and be in another world for a while. and I think people still remember that, after all we but humans.
GSIS
I still enjoy reading - usually when I have a few minutes on an evening before going to sleep, or on a morning before dragging myself out of my pit to do what I seem to be starting to do for a living.

Selling books. Rolling Eyes

My SO's hobby-job (and insurance against redundancy) is book dealing. I spend some time, most days, helping sort her stuff out and most of the time, at present, setting up GSIS.

Ironically, although I don't actually read all that much - our house and garage are full of books of most genres! My SO has a huge stack she's set aside to read when she can. I don't think like that - with me it's listed if it was acquired with the intention of selling it. If I sell something I was hoping to read that's just tough.
JC Denton
Yep, or when I find a good book I like to read. A good book beats every other entertaining media that exists. Going through "A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" for the second time now. Still fun, still super great.
MeddlingMonk
I've always liked to read, whether it be fiction (sci-fi, historical, mystery, adventure) or non-ficition (science, technology, history). The problem is finding the time these days to go through all the books I've acquired from my last few visits to the local second-hand bookstore...
scrub
I used to read a lot as a kid...like every spare moment I had I'd stick my nose in a book! I only read science fiction and fantasy books. I probably read one every 2-3 days on average for years and years.

I kept reading SF&F books through college and for a couple of years into my stint as a corporate wage-slave. But about 5 years ago I finally overcame the soul-crushing mind-numbing effects of conformed learning from high school and college, and started picking up nonfiction books to understand how the world works. I started reading science and biology books, history books, political books, biographies, etc. At some point my intereste in science fiction & fantasy faded almost completely, to where I read maybe 1-2 of those books a year.

These days I'm trying to get outside into the real world more, just sitting with trees and plants and watching insects, birds, and animals do their things. Trying to "read" a whole new language, I guess! (Maybe what Derrick Jensen calls "a language older than words" in his book of that title!) But I still really enjoy reading...now mostly books about anthropology, natural history, the insanity of this culture, etc...

Scrub
calla225
People definitely still read. I like reading, but I've very particular to what I read. Usually it's around a fantasy/science fiction theme.

Aside from reading I also draw, do 3D animation and play video games.
rufa
I do read alot, although not as much as I used to do. Haven't got that much time for reading anymore Sad.
TurtleShell
I always thought this is the strangest forum. What a question: do people still like to read? What could possibly replace reading? Like it would ever become antiquated... how bizarre.
selammussie
nope.I don't think so
most of the people in this genaration
don't like to read including me
listing music and watching a movie
have somuch fun than reading books
TurtleShell
When you say "this generation" what generation are you talking about? I'm not yet 30, I know people who are younger and older, and they all read.
bloodrider
selammussie probably it's referring to young people.
I understand his state has I see it every day around me, even I'm nowadays more attracted to that kind of activities, but I don't hate reading Exclamation
When I was young I devoured books (mainly Science-fiction), nowadays I want to do something else, I can't be everyday (yes I almost didn't do anything else but reading in that times, even now from time to time I retire at home to read a book, I just can't stop to read until the story unfolds till the end Razz) enclosed at home reading.

In my opinion, nowadays, people have much more things to do and people tend to group activities, reading it's mainly a "oneself activity". In "book times" (I'm referring before B&W TV) you probably wouldn't get out too much, you would go to bed at 9pm, you would start working at 10 years old (working 12 hours per day), you wouldn't have money for "superfluous" things, women and men wouldn't get along equally,...
It's another kind of society, a "fast society", things have evolved and now books it's "just" another thing you have to do, reading isn't worst or better than other activities, it's different, it takes time and for a "fast needed" that's too boring.

TurtleShell, I also know young and older people that read but they aren't that much, I
suppose you have surround yourself with that kind of people, although you didn't notice or else you live in a place out of anywhere.

PS: I love to read Wink
chartcentral
Yes, I still do love to read. It's a nice way to spend my day when I am immersed in a book, especially on an exciting story where you can't seem to let go of the book until you are finished reading it. Wink Smile
Sphaerenkern
I still like to read because books can be much longer than films. Also, I like to use my imagination Smile
I don't think that I'm a rare example - for example, I started a novel set in a world of a computer game and publish every chapter when I have written it - and not only fans of the game read and like it, but also people who don't have an idea of the game.
Anyway, maybe a pro point is that the novel is free and available digitally, so you can read it on your iPod, Computer, PDA or whatever instead of paying and carrying a book with you.
gtoroap
I love to read. I read almost every book that I grab on my hands. But lastly, I cant read so much that I wish, because the job and other things dont let me. I wanna back to my habits.
TurtleShell
The idea that reading is something that anyone would consider out of style or just too slow and boring really makes me sad. Literature is an art. Like all other art, it improves the quality of our lives and makes us richer, deeper human beings. It develops our imaginations and intellect.

I understand that there are those out there who just don't like to read, but people who think they've moved beyond reading because they're in a digital age are cheating themselves. Reading is not something that can be replaced by television and movies; it is a different medium entirely.
simonwest80
I would actually rather read a book than watch a film as far as ebooks go get yourself a PSP (as many people have said before reading on PC/Laptop isnt the same, but the PSP makes it almost feel like a book and i now take it every where.)

To tell you how much i read, i read maybe 1 book every 2 weeks (depends on the author), and this is usually at least 1 hour a day or anything upto maybe 6 on a weekend.
hamza1122
i still like to read but i just cant be bothered going to the library and choosing them. if i had books at home i would read them because reading books is actually pretyy fun! especially if its a good book! But i haven't read a book for quite a while, apart from school books that we have to read, but im going to have to read a book from every genre according to my english teacher! Better start reading! Smile

I have other hobbies instead of reading now, like drawing Very Happy
littleladyluck
I love to read, I've always have. a good book immerse you into another world, tells, teaches you things. It grabs your attention, takes you away for some time. that's why i love to read. not all kinds though.
nfneon
I realy love to read actualy. Mostly scientific book and sometimes some criminal stories
MunMun2o2o
I dont really like to read books...
There are some books that can make me feel wanna sleep Embarassed
Especially about History... Confused
PennyLane
I red as much as I can, mostly books, sometimes magazines... I love reading, especially fantasy.
Crinoid
There are as many opinions, as people Smile
Speaking for myself:
- in social layers, where I came from, reading for children and youth is highly praised activity, and subsequently, everyone reads intensely.
- as life goes, white collars up to 40 are including discussion of non-specialty books in conversations, later other topics are taking up and seems, that nobody cares if middle aged people are reading or not. Reading continues, by habit, interests, availability, time schedule.
- in case of drastic life changes, one starts questioning all it (s/he) was thought to. Then it depends: either switch to studying society and specialty reading to acquire new, necessary information, or to watching TV and other forms of entertainment to take the mind off problems. In severe cases, fiction literature may be treated as enemy, taking lifetime and attention from solving real life problems, instead of being treated one of the forms of art.

I really enjoyed reading one of the 2006 posts about reading for acquiring skills or as idle time passing activity/passivity. BTW, I have personally known people, who were outraged, when member of extended family was reading fiction book, instead of making own immediate family conditions more livable. Looks like for the start the basic needs should be satisfied. Rolling Eyes
Tennisbollen
I've always liked reading and writing. I prefer reading over watching films and such. By far.
amperx
yes i do read, and a lot too, especially in my field of work, programming/development, every now and then, i get stuck, and i have to read/research for it, but tends to get overboard, since, even though i already know the answer, i get sucked into the book, usually, c++, actionscript, and now a few books of air desktop development, am i a nerd because of that? lol
africa
when i was young i used to read a lot of books..i'm 19 right now. Actually got to a point when i thought i had read all the books in the world! lol!

Now i want to start again!
africa
amperx wrote:
yes i do read, and a lot too, especially in my field of work, programming/development, every now and then, i get stuck, and i have to read/research for it, but tends to get overboard, since, even though i already know the answer, i get sucked into the book, usually, c++, actionscript, and now a few books of air desktop development, am i a nerd because of that? lol

actually you do sound like a nerd! tell me something mate..how exciting is programming for you? are you good and can you edit software such as Joomla to your specific liking? How long would it take someone.I am currently learning Php/mysql.
shkhanal
I guess, still there are lot of people who love to read books even today
though I don't much like to except for my text books and computer
books.

I'm reading books in computer screen with my MP3 Audio. That reads
book for me and I keep listening with eyes on the text.

There are lot of books being published shows that there are readers.
If there were nobody reading then the production of books too
would have ended.
bernardnapoleon
yes! with out a doubt. be it newspaper everyday or a novel be an highly acclaimed author.
kutekitten
I read like 600pg books within a few days, I know many people who read just as fast and frequently as me, it's not exactly a lost art...

tkGER wrote:
I also read e-books, but I still prefer the real thing... Printed e-books do not count Wink

I agree with you completely Smile
chiragpatnaik
kutekitten wrote:
I read like 600pg books within a few days, I know many people who read just as fast and frequently as me, it's not exactly a lost art...

tkGER wrote:

Why? A book is a book. Printed ebook is still a book. How does it matter where and how you are reading. As long as you are reading. I have read almost all of Asimov, Clarke and most other Sci Fi writers of note in electronic form. Hasn't taken away from the story.

It may not have been convenient, but it the stories were still fun.

I am hoping to pick up a kindle / Sony ereader sometime next year after the prices fall a bit.
kutekitten
chiragpatnaik wrote:
kutekitten wrote:

tkGER wrote:

Why? A book is a book. Printed ebook is still a book. How does it matter where and how you are reading. As long as you are reading. I have read almost all of Asimov, Clarke and most other Sci Fi writers of note in electronic form. Hasn't taken away from the story.

It may not have been convenient, but it the stories were still fun.

I am hoping to pick up a kindle / Sony ereader sometime next year after the prices fall a bit.

If you print off an ebook it's probably gonna cost you about the same as a book if you include the paper and ink that you need to buy plus you may have to buy the actual ebook, depending on whoch book it is. Then it's much different than reading an actual book, I can read a book a day if I really want to, but ebooks kill my eyes after a few hours, it's therefore different, at least to me. (Mind you, I've read full books in ebook form, I'm not totally against it, I just prefer normal books)
pscompanies
People definitely read nowadays and I really doubt if there will be a time when people stop reading. However the medium of transmission of text has considerably changed over the years. By books, do you mean only printed material or all forms of books?
Auctus
People don't read as much as they once did because it's delayed gratification. It takes diligence to go through a book. Instant gratification is everywhere now, as near as your smartphone with games and tv shows on demand. It's hard to find time to read when faced with that.

As for me, I read a few novels when I was a precocious youth, but then as a teenager I read nearly nothing as far as sifting through random fiction goes. I'm 23 now and for the last few years I've been voracious. My wife and I share a library card and we constantly push the 50-book limit. They're usually heaped and piled around my room because I've run out of shelf space. I don't know what changed; I used to hate books because I found them all so boring. I still find most fiction boring and poorly written, but there are gems and I've gotten better at seeking them out. A few books I see lying in my immediate vicinity are: Naked Economics , How The Water Feels To The Fishes (~200 word fiction by Dave Eggers), a few biographies of the Queen (of England), Anti-Intellectualism in American Life, a couple zen books by shunryu suzuki that my wife hates, a few books about native americans, calculus made easy, the Odyssey (two copies, different translators), and Moby Dick.

I find I usually get about a quarter of the way through a book, get bored, and start reading something else. I most recently finished reading Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All, which is an autobiography of the editor of the Harvard Review, where I wish I could get published but probably won't. I rarely ever make it to the end of a book, but I made it through that one, and the two before that were Gang Leader For A Day by Sudhir Venkatesh, and A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah.

Hmm. My capitalization seems haphazard. Anyway, those are my thoughts, for what they're worth.
biljap
I know just few people who actually read books. It is sad for me.
Most of people would rather go and play some DVD.
Radar
Still read, still love reading. In the middle of 'Xenocide' by Orson Scott Card at the moment.

The general preference of society towards watching TV / DVDs is for various reasons, but the most important one for me is that this is now where society is at. We don't sit around and discuss books all that frequently, but we do with movies and tv shows. If you want to have something to have in common with other people, books aren't the easiest route to do that. They were once, but not any more. To go slightly technical, I think I once read an article on this describing the book as being 'sociologically stalled'. It's a good phrase, and I think accurately sums up the situation.
David_Pardy
I love reading, since I got married I hadn't really put the time aside to do so but lately I've been making more of an effort... I used to read continually when I was younger, these days I do as much as I can... Usually in the form of reading eBooks at work, with which I have finished LOTR once, Harry Potter twice, and 20 Discworld books... Started on Dune but for some reason I haven't been motivated to keep on top of it...

And of course, at home I have paper copies of lots of Biggles books, Garfield comics, a couple of Hardy Boys books, Footrot Flats comics, LOTR, a few different J.R.R Tolkien lore related books as well as the Silmarillion... Some stuff I haven't touched in years, others not so long, but I've pretty much always got a bookmark in at least two books!
MissJones
I love reading. I find it gives me a form of escapism I can't get from films. With a book your imagination is allowed to cast the characters and decide exactly what the location looks like instead of having that information supplied to you via the tv screen.

But sadly I've overheard one or two teenagers saying they don't see the point in reading when "they can just watch the DVD". That's a pity as they don't know what they're missing.

Regards
Miss Jones
kutekitten
Well of course people still read lol. There is a huge market for the new ereaders right now, and when I say huge, I mean really really huge. If you look over the internet, you'll see millions of ebooks. Libraries are still standing. Little bookshops with wonderful atmosphere and an array of gorgeous books, big bookshops with overpriced brand new books; they're still all over the place. If people had lost interest in books, then these stores and these resources would go out of business. Books have not, and will not be overpowered with technology, rather they've integrated reading into the latest technology. Look at the new iphone, the new droid, with the apps, I know for a fact that the app store has an entire section devoted to books. Everyone reads, if they say they don't then they just haven't found their genre yet. I love reading, I love escaping the world for a few minutes or hours at a time...
sudipbanerjee
What does Reading means here? Reading a Textbook or reading a book other than text or reading magazines or reading newspaper or simply reading anything? Tiil date there is not any alternative of textbook or Journals to a student &/or research scholar? So they are bound to reading.

Now I hope that here reading means reading without any object- just to know something or to entertain or just for reading. I am a College Librarian by profession. From my professional experience I can say the reading habit is now decreasing due to Internet. We are getting anything in Internet. So many of us mainly new generation members are avoiding reading.
kutekitten
sudipbanerjee wrote:
Now I hope that here reading means reading without any object- just to know something or to entertain or just for reading. I am a College Librarian by profession. From my professional experience I can say the reading habit is now decreasing due to Internet. We are getting anything in Internet. So many of us mainly new generation members are avoiding reading.

The internet also has a positive effect on reading, as I said in my post above, ereaders (devices for reading ebooks, online books), are extremely popular right now, there are tons on the market for whatever preferences someone may have. With ebooks, I can get a book online, faster than trying to find it in a bookstore or a library, and easier if I need to find a book that isn't very popular. There's also the gutenberg project, with free books. Books are also cheaper since they don't need paper and more eco friendly. It's simply much more accessible.
I'm not saying there isn't a huge lack of readers due to the internet, I'm just saying that it's a very useful source, and as a student in high school, I can say without a doubt that most of the new generation is not missing out on the gift that is literature. Especially with books like Twilight, there's a new interest in books.
ato784
I read today just as many people do, the idea of printed literature will always be around in my opinion, frankly we as a species do not have the knowledge to make a screen feel exactly like a book, something that alot of people enjoy.

Also you should keep in mind what section you are posting in. if you ask if people read books in the literature section then you will obviously get a response. It is the same as asking if anyone is reading a book in a library.

if you truely want to see how many people read then you should ask in the general forums.
deanhills
I go through periods, but at one stage of my life was a real bookworm. I love anything to do with books, libraries, newly printed books, archived books, the smell of books and printed matter. London for me is the greatest for shopping all kinds of book shops from Foyles brand-new to second-hand bookshops near Leicester Square. Need a London bookshopping and browsing fix like that at least once a year. Right now I'm a little restless to sit down with a book, but maybe after the summer will see if I can get into some real reading again.
inuyasha
I'm afraid some people don't have the time to.

More and more university graduates find it hard to find a good job. Those who found one must work hard to keep pace with the high-speed development of society. Worse still, it's commonly considered better to watch TV programs or movies instead of reading books during the spare time.
Though, as someone have posted, less excellent books are published nowadays.
Radar
Sadly, reading does seem to be in a significant decline. I'm not sure what there is to be done about this, but I believe it has a lot to do with the rise of mobile Internet, and digital devices pervading all of life. Seeing headphones on trains might just be more common than seeing people reading.
xevo
I liked to read once... before the internet Wink - now it seams my attention span is too short even for a long online articles LOL
Plus Im too addicted to www, no, really, almost feel like I'm spending every waking hour in front of a PC. I don't remember the last time I watched something on TV Shocked
kharol_016
i love to read books until now and i think it's awesome especially if it's a good one.
it's sad that most people are into social networking or any stuffs that put them away from leisurely reading. Sad
Radar
At the moment I just wish I had the time to read.

I'm seriously considering taking a holiday where my primary intent is to just sit down and read.
lovescience
I read to relax or inspire myself after doing thing or in between doing thing.

I also read before I sleep.

I count on content instead of pages each time I read.
rogue_skydragon
deanhills wrote:
I go through periods, but at one stage of my life was a real bookworm. I love anything to do with books, libraries, newly printed books, archived books, the smell of books and printed matter. London for me is the greatest for shopping all kinds of book shops from Foyles brand-new to second-hand bookshops near Leicester Square. Need a London bookshopping and browsing fix like that at least once a year. Right now I'm a little restless to sit down with a book, but maybe after the summer will see if I can get into some real reading again.

I too loved browsing for books at Foyles in London! The neighboring Borders store had a great inventory as well.
Fooky
catscratches wrote:
I enjoy reading a lot!! I read around a book per week. When I'm not reading I'm listening to music, playing guitar or using the computer.

No TV for you?