FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Doom

dubulike
I love doom. It is really great. The wau I play is to become the person on the screen and really get involved. Conserve ammo and life force for as long as possible.

Sometimes it is neccassary to take big risks

Who else likes doom?
kronso.23
I love games like this also... this kind of playing (becoming the character, thinking things through, contemplating strategy) is what made me fall in love with halo/halo 2. I don't play doom that much but games like that make me tingle all over
hofodomo01
AoE 3 is simply stunning and entertaining...the singleplayer isn't too much fun, but the LANs are where it gets interesting. not too flexible in terms of split second strategly like starcraft, but aoe 3 is a lot more "epic" in terms of the battles.
rick2000sept
I like Doom, I think that graphics are really amazing, especially on Doom 3, I did get bored with it after a little while because of the game play, I don't know why but games like that don't really interest me. I am in the middle of developing a game similar to doom, just not as long and less levels. lol. I am hoping to use Frihost to host my website for my new game. I am in the planning stage but I hope to be done within 3 months.
GProject
I love a bit of old-school Doom every once in a while - it's so much simpler & easy to play than these 'modern' follow-ups. It's like stepping back in time when you play that game!
Lillefix
I tried it once, but I didnt think it was that addicting...

Sorry!
Rad Ultima 2
Ah, I can still remember when I played Doom for the Super Nintendo. I loved it! Too bad there were no thing as save points... Just had to leave the game on all day! Smile

@hofodomo01, I think you may have accidently replied to the wrong thread. Wink
darth_revan
Hell, i dont like Doom!

First one was a revolution, FPS genre's milestone.
Second was good enough too...

But third... I dont know... It shows us how games changed, but it doesn't entertain me. It's soulless. It has superb graphics and shadow effects, but killing enemies in buildings bores me...

Doom3 engine is totally crap, but steam engine is good. Even with the best systems, you can't get 5 FPS or higher in City seventeen if it was modelled using Doom3 engine. Yup, shadows and lightning effects are great, but i want the game to entertain me, not my eyes only...
TarsajumaClan
I dont really enjoy the doom3 engine very much.
TerrorBite
Doom is awesome, it was the second of its kind 9after Wolfenstein 3D), and the forerunner of pretty much all the FPS games these days. Doom II was the first multiplayer FPS (the engine allowed Doom I to be played via multiplayer also).

I like to create maps for Doom II. The way the maps work, it is really easy to create a map for the game - it's basically a 2D map with different heights. It's fun to create and play a map of somewhere you know well - such as your school or university - and then play it with friends.

I've only tried a demo of Doom 3 - it's totally different, like a whole new game that just happens to share the same storyline. I don't know if I like it.

kronzo.23 wrote:
this kind of playing (becoming the character, thinking things through, contemplating strategy) is what made me fall in love with halo/halo 2.

Me too.
rheanna
It's okay. I like quake better
mitchy112
i played it but i think its a waste of time joke! doom is a good game but sometimes u need to take big risks. but quake 3 is good
basementgamesltd
Hey all,

Doom is an awesome game. I like all the Dooms first off. The main problem that I had with Doom 3 was the lack of Multiplayer options and Support. Doom 3 could have been a rockin' awesome game if it had the same style Co-Op as the first ones did back in the day. My friends and I use to call the house line at like 2am on a school night to play Doom over our 28.8 and 14.4 modems. It was great. The 4 player co-op campaigns were the best. Nightmare difficulty was great. For anyone who still loves the old Dooms, I highly recommend www.zdaemon.org They run a lot of Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom Servers with excellent speed and hardly any lag at all. They have also modded it to make room for more than 4 players. It's totally awesome and hours upon hours of fun. Alright, you all Keep it real.....

If the www.zdaemon.org website doesn't work, try searching for zdaemon on goggle and it should show up. It's well worth the effort to get the server on your computer.

- Tom
Infinity-al
I love Doom and Doom 2 for the simple reasons that i can play them on my mobile phone using c2doom emulator. Its the full game, not only some levels.

I've also played Quake on my phone Cool
kks2john
Yeah Doom 1 and 2 were great, but i loved Quake2 the most, that got me started into online FPS's, i still play Action Quake2 sometimes, luckily there are a few servers still around Very Happy

I still havent Quake4 though, which uses the Doom3 engine
Heart Ticket
dubulike wrote:
I love doom. It is really great. The wau I play is to become the person on the screen and really get involved. Conserve ammo and life force for as long as possible.

Sometimes it is neccassary to take big risks

Who else likes doom?

Doom is pretty cool i guess but i get bored of it pretty quick Razz
I don't play it anymore.

James
Ennex
i really enjoy playing doom 3 on xbox
but i cant get past the guardian of hell
can anyone who has beaten the game give me some tips?
Agent ME
I got doom 3 on xbox too - love the co-op mode - it's what the game needed.

I also have doom 2 on pc - the gzdoom port (an expanded opengl version of the zdoom port) is great for playing it. And if you like online, check out SkullTag.
spinout
Doom is to me the game that really brought the PC (abouve other computers) into the game selling market.

Yes, the idea was the killer for, among others, the Amiga computer. It couln'd produce the fast 3d so no one buyed it further on.

I guess the PC won the race because of Doom.
hofodomo01
I remember the amiga....it was old, but the graphics were pretty amazing for its time....lol it's even better than some of the games now...

Still, have a LAN party with doom...now that's good times ^_^
GProject
hofodomo01 wrote:
I remember the amiga....it was old, but the graphics were pretty amazing for its time....lol it's even better than some of the games now...

I played on a couple of different models of Amiga back in the day (at friend's houses though - we had a BBC Acorn computer), so I remember the old games well.

As for versions of Doom, I actually enjoyed playing it on the N64 - even if the concept had dated a bit by then.
Afaceinthematrix
I used to play Doom 1 and Doom 2 (I still do sometimes). I have Doom 3: ROE but don't like it as much. The graphics are so much better, of course but the game play doesn't live up to the old game for some reason.
bri4n5
I've played Doom 1, Doom Ultimate and Doom 2, i spent lots of hours playin those great games.

Doom3 is awesome, great graphics, nices sounds, and the monster's behavior it's so realistic. Nice game, scary but nice!!
diddle
Dooms such a fun game. I used to play it at my uncles work and it would be on this crappy computer but yeah it was alot of fun. i got so far. its like duke nukem Smile but better.
rohan2kool
never played doom.. though played loads of doom II, coz my old PC cud run it perfectly nice... then i've played loads of doom on and ipod Nano [just wish that ran on a 5G iPod].

but with my new machine, it's Doom III all the time.. this is seriously friggin cool.. the graphics are awesome, so is the gameplay and the general theme of 'kill 'em all'. Though i like deathmatches over LAN/internet more Very Happy
PIbrothers
How do you upload it onto an iPod!? That's awesome, I've seen it but never bothered to look into it.

Anyway, I've played Doom 2 on an off since I was about 4 or 5, I can still remember calling my brother to open EVERY SINGLE DOOR because I kept forgetting how to do it. Embarassed

But that's a truly revolutionary game, and without it games like Halo, and Gears of War wouldn't exist.

I've been playing it a lot recently, though.
Ducksteina
rohan2kool wrote:
never played doom.. though played loads of doom II, coz my old PC cud run it perfectly nice... then i've played loads of doom on and ipod Nano [just wish that ran on a 5G iPod].

Lol, you played Doom an iPod?! That's weird but cool^^ I wish i could upload it somehow.
By the way, I've played all Doom's, but the old-school Doom is the best^^
I don't know why but Doom 3 doesn't satisfy me, it is totally boring... maybe a bit scary but that's all.
I think Quake 4 is the "better" version of Doom 3. It looks in some kind similar but the gameplaye is much better and it make more fun.
Afaceinthematrix
I love the original Doom. Doom 3 was good but I enjoyed the first one the most.
infobankr
The coolest thing about doom and quake is that iD released the engine as open source. That spawned other games such as Nexuiz, which you can download for free!
rohan2kool
Ducksteina wrote:
rohan2kool wrote:

Lol, you played Doom an iPod?! That's weird but cool^^ I wish i could upload it somehow.
By the way, I've played all Doom's, but the old-school Doom is the best^^
I don't know why but Doom 3 doesn't satisfy me, it is totally boring... maybe a bit scary but that's all.
I think Quake 4 is the "better" version of Doom 3. It looks in some kind similar but the gameplaye is much better and it make more fun.

i didn't read this comment... but you can run doom on an ipod nano by installing iPodLinux [just google for it and follow the wiki.. also download and install iDoom for iPodLinux].

you can also run Doom on iPod 5G [actually.. all iPods other than the current one] by installing rockbox.. google for it, download and install it. rockbox doesn't even require you to install doom.. it comes sorta pre-installed. I'm currently using rockbox and it's gr8 this far Very Happy
eletromaio
repetitive scenery (rich) Cool
dayveday
I have great memories of Doom 1 and Doom 2 - I remember spending ages getting Doom 1 to work on my old computer (does anyone remember making special boot disks so you'd have enough memory to play games?)

I loved Doom II (well, Doom 95). Old-school games, they don't make them like this any more. They were mind-blowing for their time, and had such great game play - Doom used to scare the hell out of me!
Sarcas
I still have doom2 on my pc, but i'm simply too much of a wuss to give doom3 a shot Rolling Eyes

Beside, i still have to clear it all without cheating :/
JBotAlan
I have not played any of the Doom games besides the first one. I actually spent more time playing a Doom-based cereal box game called Chex Quest...it was quite entertaining when I was really young, and it still is one of my guilty pleasures...

I too have the doom engine on my music player. Quite entertaining to try to play Doom on a 1.5" screen Confused .

Doom rocks. Then again, any old-school game rocks. YEAH DUCK HUNT!!! lol...

JBot
Vladalf
darth_revan wrote:
Hell, i dont like Doom!

But third... I dont know... It shows us how games changed, but it doesn't entertain me. It's soulless. It has superb graphics and shadow effects, but killing enemies in buildings bores me...

Doom3 engine is totally crap, but steam engine is good. Even with the best systems, you can't get 5 FPS or higher in City seventeen if it was modelled using Doom3 engine. Yup, shadows and lightning effects are great, but i want the game to entertain me, not my eyes only...

I never player Doom but from the looks of it it seems good. I played Doom 3 altough and it was scary, good graphics and interresting. I liked the thing with those storys from the soldiers' journals very much.
lucron
darth_revan wrote:
Hell, i dont like Doom!

I agree with this, Doom 3 was nothing to me at all, in fact I couldn't stand to play it more than a week. There were no hidden rooms, no replay value, the multiplayer (when released) was horrible. The way the game play was, cooperative mode would be stupid. In the older dooms, the main factor that had me coming back for more was the way I could play maps, there were no restrictions of how the map was played other than running around the map blasting everything in site, finding secrets, and keys for more of the map. Doom 3 had none of that of which I liked about Doom, they couldn't even manage to put in the SSG Sad
Packfan104L4
Doom 3 was just completely repetitive. After the first 2 "levels" you kind of knew when things were going to pop out or just plain try to "scare" you. The only tricky section was Hell.
andy26
im currently playing doom 3 i must admit late at night and in a comfy playing postion with a good sound system and lights out doom 3 made me jump about 4 times bu during the daylight it hasnt done anything to scare me either that or its just to darn repetative now, im at the part where u get the transaction card thingy.
Kelcey
Doom was really awesome for its time. I still find it fun to this day.