FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Locking threads? enough already!

sharp
What is the point of locking a thread, even if there are 100 of the same thread so be it. This is in response to MY thread of advertising your website on MY thread, why do I HAVE to use yours [frihost]? Is this forum built on communism? So then you lock my damn thread like a miniature wanna be hitler, give up ffs.

This is what kills the enjoyment out of posting, people, mods, taking it to the extreme seeing somthing THEY dont like and locking it, as with this thread here will more than likely get locked because I am using my right to free speech and speaking my mind on what I see as a discrepency in the system. I can definately understand if it were a profound thread of any sort but it wasnt.
sharp
this is on 'impeach gw'

wumingsden

14.00 Points
2725.99 FRIH$
[ Donate ]

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:59 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this thread has got a little too <insert some word that my mind is looking for> -locked-

"One mans sick and disgusting is another mans orgasm" - The Conspirator

====by this guy===

what was out of hand, a politcal debate... why? what was so out of hand, I honestly think that BEFORE you lock you may state something AHEAD of time, and when you do lock a thread a detailed explaination is to be posted!

Lets be fair to EVERYONE
orno
sharp wrote:
What is the point of locking a thread, even if there are 100 of the same thread so be it.

I don't know what your thread is/was about, but that is exactly the reason for locking a thread.... Coz it already exists and/or covers something that the frihost policy doesn't really allow.

Quote:
This is what kills the enjoyment out of posting, people, mods, taking it to the extreme seeing somthing THEY dont like and locking it, as with this thread here will more than likely get locked because I am using my right to free speech and speaking my mind on what I see as a discrepency in the system.

This is not a government here, and I'm sorry, but here there is no such "right to free speech". If you say something out of line or post something which we deem crap/illegal or whatever (again, I dont know what your thread was about or why it was closed) we will close the topic. You are free to take that up with any admin/mod and ask why it was closed down, and if you are right, the thread will by all means be reopened.

Quote:
I can definately understand if it were a profound thread of any sort but it wasnt.

I dont get your point...you yourself are saying it wasnt a profound thread of any sort so why do u care if it was locked or closed or whatever?

Try running a forum with no mods on it....see how much spam u end up with...
Helios
BTW "sharp", don't double post.

ORNO EDIT: ^^ LOL Laughing ^^
orno
after reading the thread, i agree with wumingsden's decision to close the thread.

i dont think it had anything to do with you directly sharp, but the thread contents were getting a little bit out of hand with the personal insulting etc...

rules of the Frihost Forums as outlined here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13011.html specifically state that such threads/posts are not allowed and thats most probably why the thread was closed. i personally have no problem if you make a thread, staing cleanly and clearly what problems u have but when a discussion leads to "you're a f**** idiot" and "get the hell out of this country" and personal attacks, i think its fair enough that its closed.
jb2_86_uk
sharp wrote:
This is in response to MY thread of advertising your website on MY thread, why do I HAVE to use yours [frihost]? Is this forum built on communism?.

You ungrateful little s!*? How can you say something like that after you have been provided with such a quality service. I think if you were hosting free websites for thousands of people, youd have the same rules.

Ever heard the phrase 'Biting the hand that feeds'

No one is forcing you to use FriHost, so if you have a problem with the generous service and relaxed rules, why dont you take your immature and arrogant views elsewhere?

JB
HDirtwater
And don't pull that free speech BS in here. Free speech is fine, but it doesn't apply to private enterprise. For example, if you come into my place of work and start ranting and raving, you will get thrown out. You DO NOT have the right to say what you want in someone else's place. You can write about it all you want in YOUR publication or YOUR venue, but not at my house.

I love these uneducated morons who play the "free speech" card every time they get told to behave according to the rules.

And BTW, you don't like it? Don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out.
datter
It's the forgiving, understanding community that brings me back. Oh wait, no... it's the free web hosting. Nevermind. Wink

datter
freecitizen
Wow, to some of the people that replied here -- BUTTOCKS kissing, much?
mathiaus
The moderators do their job and make sure members abide by the rules. There only needs to be one topic about each subject (unless it needs to be split with each part being about a specific part of the subject). For example I went to post about Battlefield 2 before. I actually used the search before I created a new topic though and 8 topics came up. Where should I post, which one? If there is one topic everyone is contributing to the same thing and the discussion can become rather involved which is more fun than 10 topics rarely posted in.

We do not act upon on what we don't like. There are rules and we act upon whatever breaks them. I won't be locking the thread but if someone else does it deserves it. It doesn't take long to search for a topic and thats what you are meant to do. If you don't like having to search fine but don't rant about it here.
I strongly advise against calling anyone a wannabe Hitler by the way. Comments like those are innapropiate Twisted Evil
Billy Hill
HDirtwater wrote:

A Don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out.

freecitizen wrote:
Wow, to some of the people that replied here -- a$$ kissing, much?

<back-seat-mod>
Please stop circumventing the language filters, it's against the rules. Wink
freecitizen
You like it better now, kiddo?
HDirtwater
Please stop circumventing the language filters, it's against the rules

And you know what? A mod would well within his right to send me a PM or remove/edit my post and I wouldn't get all bent out of shape about it. And to the well-informed person who thinks we are all butt-kissing (see how good I can be Wink ), the point of my rant is that there are some people out there who just think the rules don't apply to them. These are the people I can do without.

It's Frihost's sandbox, so they make the rules. If you don't like it, you can go away.
Vrythramax
Just as a side note..."BackSeat Moderating" is against the rules as well....no matter how well worded it may be, or well intentioned.
S3nd K3ys
Vrythramax wrote:
Just as a side note..."BackSeat Moderating" is against the rules as well....no matter how well worded it may be, or well intentioned.

Perhaps if the goderators provided a way to report bad posts, this problem woudn't be so bad. Wink (Note, this sentence started out as "provide an easier way", then I got to thinking and changed to "provide an easy way" then, as common sense came over me, it changed to "provide a way". *wink-wink-nudge-nudge* )

For example, I see lots of posts each day that are bad. I typically don't do anything except the occasional back seat moderating, unless a goderator gets a god complex, then I PM them EVERY SINGLE BAD POST I FIND for a few days and they end up getting mad at me and quitting or trying to get me banned.

Provide a 'report bad post' button and you'll eliminate BOTH problems. And this likely wouldn't be a problem if the goderating staff were on top of their game, or were on more often, or there were more. But it seems they don't want more to do, so a report bad posts link is never going to happen.
orno
S3nd K3ys wrote:
And this likely wouldn't be a problem if the goderating staff were on top of their game, or were on more often, or there were more. But it seems they don't want more to do, so a report bad posts link is never going to happen.

we do try to be online as much time as we can, but im guessing unlike you, most of us have real day jobs where we actually work...

we are constantly getting more moderators (if u havent noticed) and the more we have the better and cleaner the forums will be. but the users of the forum (you for example) should realize that its not easy and instead of complaining, should 1) read the rules and try not to do anything in violation of the rules 2) help us out when u see something get out of hand which a mod hasnt attended to yet...and i dont mean do it once in a while and then overdo it, but do it regularly.... 3) maybe if we spent less time replying on threads complaining about the mods we could spend more time actually moderating....

and by the way, a report bad posts link is very high up on the list of things to do (afaik), bondings just has to find the time to do it....
he already has a lot on his hands and ppl complaining all the time certainly doesnt help

so guys, please, cut everyone some slack and help out wherever u can
S3nd K3ys
orno wrote:

we do try to be online as much time as we can, but im guessing unlike you, most of us have real day jobs where we actually work...

Um, yeah. If you say so. I work 8-10 hours a day and on weekends. I have two children under four years old, with an acre of land to maintain myself, and I still have time to moderate one forum with OVER 15,000 members, and I administrate one forum with OVER 36,000 members, with less than 1 reported post per week on BOTH forums combined. It's usually less than 1 per month.

Quote:
we are constantly getting more moderators (if u havent noticed) and the more we have the better and cleaner the forums will be.

It's not the number of moderators, it's the quality of the moderators and the way the board is administered.

Quote:
but the users of the forum (you for example) should realize that its not easy and instead of complaining, should 1) read the rules and try not to do anything in violation of the rules 2) help us out when u see something get out of hand which a mod hasnt attended to yet...and i dont mean do it once in a while and then overdo it, but do it regularly.... 3) maybe if we spent less time replying on threads complaining about the mods we could spend more time actually moderating....

1) I've read the rules and usually don't break them.
2) I've helped you. It's a pain to help you. I shouldn't have to be a pita or make it a pita for you. That's why I'm (again) suggesting a report post button. It will make it easier for us and easier for you.
3) Maybe if we spent less time having to go to the Private Messaging area of the forums to report posts we could spend more time actually posting and clicking on advertisements. Wink

Quote:
and by the way, a report bad posts link is very high up on the list of things to do (afaik), bondings just has to find the time to do it....
he already has a lot on his hands and ppl complaining all the time certainly doesnt help

Why is bondings the only one that can do that? We all know he's busy right now, why isn't there another person on staff that can do php? I've got 3 admins, 2 of which can do anything on the board and know PHP. (me included). As I said, the quality of the staff is much more important than the quantity. Bottom line: this board is getting bigger, and unless changes in the way it's administered aren't made, it'll turn into a mess, much like it is now, where all you can seem to do is throw bodies on the fires to put them out.

Quote:

so guys, please, cut everyone some slack and help out wherever u can

Again, we're trying to help, you just need to make it easier for us. (BTW, I'm glad you're now considering it (a report post button) at least. If I recall, the last time I brought this up, last year(?), it was promptly shot down.
orno
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Um, yeah. If you say so. I work 8-10 hours a day and on weekends. I have two children under four years old, with an acre of land to maintain myself, and I still have time to moderate one forum with OVER 15,000 members, and I administrate one forum with OVER 36,000 members, with less than 1 reported post per week on BOTH forums combined. It's usually less than 1 per month.

i dont know which planet you are on, but here on earth, one day has only 24 hours Razz if you can seriously manage all of that, hats off to you...

Quote:
It's not the number of moderators, it's the quality of the moderators and the way the board is administered.

its actually a combination of both...the more quality mods we have, the better the board will be administered...

Quote:
1) I've read the rules and usually don't break them.
2) I've helped you. It's a pain to help you. I shouldn't have to be a pita or make it a pita for you. That's why I'm (again) suggesting a report post button. It will make it easier for us and easier for you.
3) Maybe if we spent less time having to go to the Private Messaging area of the forums to report posts we could spend more time actually posting and clicking on advertisements. Wink

1) I wasnt (necessarily Wink) referring to you as someone who breaks the rules, but as someone who is a normal frihost forum user...
2) I agree
3) I agree

Quote:
Why is bondings the only one that can do that? We all know he's busy right now, why isn't there another person on staff that can do php?

ofcourse there are other ppl who can do php! its just that bondings wants to do the coding himself...for now atleast..

Quote:
Bottom line: this board is getting bigger, and unless changes in the way it's administered aren't made, it'll turn into a mess, much like it is now, where all you can seem to do is throw bodies on the fires to put them out.

I agree that something has to change but i dont believe that its as bad as you make it out to be...

Quote:
Again, we're trying to help, you just need to make it easier for us. (
I get maybe one PM per week complaining of something that needs to be moderated...

anyways, i'm all for a report post button
and ppl, please, read the damn TOS and FAQ and Rules...they exist for a reason!
Sappho
I may never really say this again but now i actually partially agree with S3nd K3ys. Especially why is Bondings the only one that can do the changes? Is there a shortage of trustworthy Admin staff? Smile

Anyway at the other hand i don't find the Moderator staff underqualified, i think they really try and no one can deny that. I don't see this forum getting out of control, you are exaggerating a little S3nd K3ys Wink

What i find confusing is how mods approach some of the rules. For example you Orno closed a topic "If you could change one thing about yourself ?" saying that "If..." topics aren't allowed, ok its in the rules but why are there 2 other "If..." topics being active at the same time is beyond my comprehence to apprehend. Smile There are more confusing behavioral patterns of some of the Mod staff but i am not complaining its just confusing sometimes. Wink At the end we are all just humans and no one is perfect, it will always be subjective even if we had 100 mods. Good luck. Wink
S3nd K3ys
Yes, I can handle all that and more, Orno. I still manage to sleep 8 hours a day too.

Sappho wrote:
I may never really say this again but now i actually partially agree with S3nd K3ys. Especially why is Bondings the only one that can do the changes? Is there a shortage of trustworthy Admin staff? Smile

Anyway at the other hand i don't find the Moderator staff underqualified, i think they really try and no one can deny that. I don't see this forum getting out of control, you are exaggerating a little S3nd K3ys Wink

What i find confusing is how mods approach some of the rules. For example you Orno closed a topic "If you could change one thing about yourself ?" saying that "If..." topics aren't allowed, ok its in the rules but why are there 2 other "If..." topics being active at the same time is beyond my comprehence to apprehend. Smile There are more confusing behavioral patterns of some of the Mod staff but i am not complaining its just confusing sometimes. Wink At the end we are all just humans and no one is perfect, it will always be subjective even if we had 100 mods. Good luck. Wink

Sappho, I am honored. Cool

A moderator's 'approach' as you call it is very important. I handle people (as an admin/mod) with great respect and un-biased comments. Moderator's are the public relations department as well as the police department. Therefore a moderator is not allowed to opine as a normal user. Something I've complained about here before, and so have many others.

Yes, I act much different as a moderator than I do as a member. I think most of you would honestly not be able to recognize me on a board I moderate.
orno
Sappho wrote:
What i find confusing is how mods approach some of the rules. For example you Orno closed a topic "If you could change one thing about yourself ?" saying that "If..." topics aren't allowed, ok its in the rules but why are there 2 other "If..." topics being active at the same time is beyond my comprehence to apprehend. Smile

yes, i know, im sorry abt that... i noticed the other "if..." threads only after i closed yours and realized that they generally do well... i was actually waiting for input from bondings on whether or not we should revert that rule and meant to unlock your thread in the meantime but forgot abt that... anyways, its done now
Sappho
orno wrote:
Sappho wrote:
What i find confusing is how mods approach some of the rules. For example you Orno closed a topic "If you could change one thing about yourself ?" saying that "If..." topics aren't allowed, ok its in the rules but why are there 2 other "If..." topics being active at the same time is beyond my comprehence to apprehend. Smile

yes, i know, im sorry abt that... i noticed the other "if..." threads only after i closed yours and realized that they generally do well... i was actually waiting for input from bondings on whether or not we should revert that rule and meant to unlock your thread in the meantime but forgot abt that... anyways, its done now

I just want to mention it wasn't my topic. It just caught my eye, couse it was an interesting topic to start with. Wink Good to know its unlocked now.
ciaran27
After about 30 seconds on google I came up with this Smile

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/searchresults.php?version=2&query=report+to&search_type=1

Problem solved, stop whining.

Smile
S3nd K3ys
ciaran27 wrote:
After about 30 seconds on google I came up with this Smile

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/searchresults.php?version=2&query=report+to&search_type=1

Problem solved, stop whining.

Smile

Slowpoke. :p
Vrythramax
@S3nd K3ys

Give the guy a break will ya?

Not everyone lives here as some do, and for the record, if the "Goderators" as we have been so shameless called were so bent on locking all threads, there would be many people, some posting (spam) in this thread who would be locked at every chance.

Keep in mind this is a FREE WebHost...complaining about it is tantamount to getting a free lunch and complaining that either the food sucked or you didn't get enough....then asking for change for a dollar.

Not to mention this thread would have been locked.
Soulfire
I honestly think that many of the mods have been abusing their powers quite often, and it seems to be getting worse. My threads have been deleted in Philosophy and Religion many a time - no reason why, wouldn't answer PMs, all it said was "-Close-".

Must be on their power trip.
Vrythramax
Enough. The Mods are invited and we answer to the owner. I am closing this topic for the simple reason the Mods try to follow the rules....others don't.

If another mod/Admin chooses to reopen this topic so be it, but for now it is

-Closed-
tidruG
S3nd K3ys wrote:

Well, I think here lies the difference. In my opinion, it's definitely much easier to moderate or administrate a board where only 1 bad post is made per month.
Once a report mod is installed, how many posts do you think you would report per day here on Frihost? Wink

S3nd K3ys wrote:
Why is bondings the only one that can do that? We all know he's busy right now, why isn't there another person on staff that can do php? I've got 3 admins, 2 of which can do anything on the board and know PHP. (me included). As I said, the quality of the staff is much more important than the quantity. Bottom line: this board is getting bigger, and unless changes in the way it's administered aren't made, it'll turn into a mess, much like it is now, where all you can seem to do is throw bodies on the fires to put them out.
To be honest, I'd like an answer to that as much as you do. For some reason, Bondings (generally) likes to do the important coding by himself. I suppose it's probably due to him wanting his mods to respond and work exactly as he planned. I think we have had some of the members of the staff work on some of the smaller changes.

S3nd K3ys wrote:
Again, we're trying to help, you just need to make it easier for us. (BTW, I'm glad you're now considering it (a report post button) at least. If I recall, the last time I brought this up, last year(?), it was promptly shot down.

It was?
*stratches head*
Well, to be honest, we've been waiting for one for a long long time now. In fact, as far as I know, B has already started coding it.

Sappho wrote:
What i find confusing is how mods approach some of the rules. For example you Orno closed a topic "If you could change one thing about yourself ?" saying that "If..." topics aren't allowed, ok its in the rules but why are there 2 other "If..." topics being active at the same time is beyond my comprehence to apprehend. Smile There are more confusing behavioral patterns of some of the Mod staff but i am not complaining its just confusing sometimes. Wink At the end we are all just humans and no one is perfect, it will always be subjective even if we had 100 mods. Good luck.

You're right. Some of the rules/Mod guidelines are somewhat subjective. Basically, look at it this way... threads that have a high spam quotient are closed/locked, and sometimes we can generalize some types of threads.
For example, "A vs B" threads were banned a few months ago, primarily because the replies constituted of one-word spam, eg "A, of course!" or "B rocks!", etc., which you will agree are not good quality posts. However, I think we left a "Automatic Shift vs Stick Shift" topic open because that topic actually spawned some good replies. Wink

Soulfire wrote:
I honestly think that many of the mods have been abusing their powers quite often, and it seems to be getting worse. My threads have been deleted in Philosophy and Religion many a time - no reason why, wouldn't answer PMs, all it said was "-Close-".

Must be on their power trip.

Oh, then maybe you should PM the moderators about it.
And if you don't receive a reply from a moderator, maybe you should PM another moderator or a Jr.Admin about it, instead of making accusations. By the way, the mods are supposed to lock or spam can posts that are spammy or flame-inducing. Maybe you should check if any of your posts were spammy or flame-inducing.

EDIT: Since this thread is locked, if someone wants to make a comment or a reply, PM me.