FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

conf editor prog

prongs_386
Hi

what I want is to make a program that will allow me to enter a name into a box and have that write some text involving that box to the end of my dhcpd.conf file...

I've done a bit of programming in the windows environment, but not sure where to start with something like this for Linux..
muggle
Im not quite sure that I understand what exactly you want to do. But generally speaking for such task you can use some of the standard scripting tools which you have installed with you Linux distribution.
It depends on that if you want your program to has a GUI or TUI. For first one you can use Tcl/Tk, its old fashioned but it works. If you dont mind against TUI you can use simple shell script, eventually enriched with the expect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expect).
They are different tools available for manipulating the text files (e.g. dhcpd.conf) as for example sed, awk or perl.
I know this answer might sound too general but if you provide more details regarding your skills/interests and what exactly you want to do I, or someone else might be more useful.