FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Track Visitors, how can i best track visitors on my site

qazwsx1
I want to record unique visitors on my site, and record unique hits to my articles.
My idea was to make a table in which i would record something like
ip address, article id
But i'm afraid my database will get very large very quickly, and with limited server space.
Does anyone know a way to record the stats in a harddisk-space friendly way?
SlowWalkere
If you want to do it that way, I don't think you'll have to worry about disk space for a while...

The basic table you mentioned has two rows - the ip address (Varchar 16, I guess) and the article id (int). You might want to track time too, so you can record a new visit if the person returns after x number of minutes/hours. So you add in a bigint for a timestamp and you've got around 24 bytes per row. Add a few bytes for overhead and you've got 36 bytes/row.

At that rate, 100,000 visitors will consume about 3.6mb of server space. You'll probably be safe unless you're getting 10+ thousand hits/day.

Also, to convserve space, you could summarize the data every week or month. Count up how many hits each article got and store it in a smaller table. That way you can wipe down the counter every x weeks and save the space.

Alternatively there are some free stat services on the internet. There was a thread going on about them in one of these forums recently. Find that thread and you'll find a big list of free counter services (but I'm not sure if they use your server space or not).

Good luck,
- Walkere
rfwrangler
Zend has a great tutorial about this and I think that it is exactly what you are looking for. You could also use the site stats that are in the server. Any way here is the link to the tutorial: http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/gen-adv-web-stats.php

Good luck and if I can help any let me know.
photon
you can use any freestats counter. that way, you will have everything on ur fingertips like total hits, unique hits, country specific hits etc. just signup, and embed the code on your page.

http://www.statcounter.com is a good one
rahmat
Why don't you try http://extremetracking.com, I Think That's the best tracker in the world Laughing
rajhank
Use google Anaylatics

This would help u.

And , u can also check some sites that offer free Stat counters and give full details via email.