FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dell recalls 4 million laptops

Snafoo
Dell has recalled 4 million laptops or more specifically i believe the lithium ION batteries made by Sony. They apparently explode into flames.... I just saw this on the evening news. I almost bought one last month too.
Soulfire
Do you have any source you can link to? Perhaps I'll do a quick search on Google... sounds intriguing. Burst into flames eh? I've always been a little leary of Dell... glad we didn't get one.
mabuhay
I've heard of hard drives catching fire before but not batteries. That would crazy if a virus could trigger something like that. It would burn down a lot of houses... potentially.
HoboPelican
I saw that video about a month ago of a dell catching fire at a seminar... I don't know if it was funny or scary.. Can't find the video, but here is a story about it.Link
And a second laptop crahes and burns here.
otiscom
They say it is a very unlikely event.
The batteries are actualy made by Sony I heared!
Jumpy
Apparently Apple laptops are affected too. I'm a bit of a pyro i was hoping my sisters laptop will combust. I'm pissed my dad saw the news took out her battery already. Oh well.
bangala
Hmm that's why many airlines are now banning laptops, particularily Dell, in their flights!
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=11886

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/dell/laptops-to-be-banned-from-us-airlines-194658.php

Terrorists are now getting ideas from Dell lol
blackheart
They just went one step too far with cost-cutting, resulting in unexpected... *problems*

They've been making fun of them on Chasers War on Everything for weeks now.
mattchun
Hey guys, try to analyse it from a different, Dell do TAKE RESPONSIBLITIES!

I think they are still good!
HoboPelican
mattchun wrote:
Hey guys, try to analyse it from a different, Dell do TAKE RESPONSIBLITIES!

I think they are still good!

No one is saying that they are bad units because of this. It's a pretty rare occurence. But them taking "responsibilities", just means they want to avoid lawsuits. I won't buy a Dell anymore, but it's not because of the battery issue.