FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to get your Site higher on Google.

Ratman2050
If you type in Google Fantasy PC, on the First page number 6 down is my website. I was wondering how this improves to get it like number 1 at the first page. How do you increase the rank?
Hobbit
Age helps a lot. My site is a few months old and rank #1, but it took me a while to get there (sometimes I drop down to three or two though).

I believe backlinks help a lot too.
Ratman2050
Hobbit wrote:
Age helps a lot. My site is a few months old and rank #1, but it took me a while to get there (sometimes I drop down to three or two though).

I believe backlinks help a lot too.

In the google webmaster my site thing. It says:

Pages from your site are included in Google's index. See Index stats. [?]
Googlebot has successfully accessed your home page. Last crawl date: Aug 9, 2006
You have submitted 1 Sitemaps. You have no Sitemap errors

And they are checked mark in green.
manumiglani
Ratman2050 wrote:
If you type in Google Fantasy PC, on the First page number 6 down is my website. I was wondering how this improves to get it like number 1 at the first page. How do you increase the rank?

follow the tips on http://www.searchengineoptimizationtips.be
jipmerite
Having Back Links helps

But what matters more is regular updating. Google ranks them higher if it is updated more often. Also the search term should occurr often on the index page. But Google also detects if the words are being put with the sole purpose of cheating the crawlers.
hrtorrent
Use some original words in meta tags. Tell friends to visit your site many times. This maybe helps...
Ratman2050
My site is now 9 on the list of the front page on google search instead of 6, it decreased wtf?
Ratman2050
I dont get how you make Meta Tags. Or Title Tag Optimization.
Can someone please give me steps on this?
Also where do you go to make meta tags or title tags here:
https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=sitemaps&nui=1&continue=https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/siteoverview%3Fhl%3Den&hl=en

Or here: www.google.com/addurl/ ???
mysplice
Ratman2050 wrote:
https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=sitemaps&nui=1&continue=https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/siteoverview%3Fhl%3Den&hl=en

Hey,

Well I"m not sure about you not knowing how to make meta tags. I looked at your site and you have a bunch of them. This is what I got from your website codes.

<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Where Fantasy Becomes Reality">

The only think you have to do is put more text in place of "Where Fantasy Becomes Reality". Put a bunch of text that is relevant to your sites content. Try to keep the description to 50 words. When Google or other search engines index your pages it will take that info first. This will help your rankings.

Make sense?
manumiglani
Ratman2050 wrote:

You can make your meta tags online at http://www.addme.com/meta.htm free.....

Follow these Title Tag optimization Tips
Ratman2050
Ok, Where do I put this Meta Tag:
<head>
<title>Fantasy PC</title>
<meta name="description" content="Fantasy PC is a place to talk about anything and everything! You can post in the forums, play the 150+ games in the arcade. You can also play in our Lottery and win FP Gold! Or you can just talk in our Chat Room or trade in the Marketplace.
">
<meta name="keywords" content="Fantasy, PC, Forums, Market, Computers, Spyware, Games, Arcade, ">
</head>
mysplice
Ratman2050 wrote:
Ok, Where do I put this Meta Tag:
<head>
<title>Fantasy PC</title>
<meta name="description" content="Fantasy PC is a place to talk about anything and everything! You can post in the forums, play the 150+ games in the arcade. You can also play in our Lottery and win FP Gold! Or you can just talk in our Chat Room or trade in the Marketplace.
">
<meta name="keywords" content="Fantasy, PC, Forums, Market, Computers, Spyware, Games, Arcade, ">
</head>

It goes in the head of the site. Notice that the code starts with <head> and ends with </head> the meta tags need to go in between those tags.
jipmerite
I read somewhere on the internet or a PC Magazine that Google crawlers do not give much importance to Meta Tags anymore. Cos people just put random words there in hope of increasing their rating.

What matters more is the number of visits the site gets and the update frequency. If the page is very static, then after some time the rating will go down.

But I am not saying that Meta tags has no use at all. By all means do customise them. And it looks nice to have a good Title too.
mysplice
jipmerite wrote:
I read somewhere on the internet or a PC Magazine that Google crawlers do not give much importance to Meta Tags anymore. Cos people just put random words there in hope of increasing their rating.

What matters more is the number of visits the site gets and the update frequency. If the page is very static, then after some time the rating will go down.

But I am not saying that Meta tags has no use at all. By all means do customise them. And it looks nice to have a good Title too.

Well, you have some validity to this. Keyworks are being less index by search engines overall that's maybe what you read. However; the description piece is an important factor.

When the description is in that is what technically gets indexed as key words but you have to be care to make sure they are relevant to the site. The KEY here is to reuse words from your title and description in the body of the site as well. Having words repeated on your site makes it that much stronger.
Ratman2050
Well know my site is number 5 on the first page of google. Yeah!
mysplice
Ratman2050 wrote:
Well know my site is number 5 on the first page of google. Yeah!

Very nice for 5th place. I just went and looked and you landed in 7th. However; I took some time to analyze your page and found that the only way you are in 5th is doing a search by "Fantacy PC". Keep in mind that people aren't using those words to search. I have done of break down of your most used words on you home page.

his is the word used along with how often. Notice that you used the word Wins 26 times. That would be a good keyword if you were a gambling site. Nonetheless it's adding much value because you used it so much.

Words Used
Wins 26
Fantasy 6
PC 6
Nuke 6
click 4
channel 4
new 3
Chat 3
wahaj1 3
madskillz4139 3
Lottery 3
0 3
users 3
17, 3
Forums 3
killerspoon 2
masterchief12321 2
ticket 2
they 2
niobium 2

Here is a list of word that you might consider. These words are what people might search for.

Suggesting words
Games
Game
Computer Game
Computer
Lucky
prizes
Fantacy Games
Fantacy Computer

So, Just to recap. When I did a search for "fantacy" alone, I mainly came up with football stuff. Your site was nowhere to be found. This is just an example of SEO.

Try this. If you were to search for your website, what words would you type in the search engine? Compile those words and then incorporate them into your website. Also, look at the source code of other websites that are similar to yours that rank well and see what words they use.
Ratman2050
How do you add those words to your Search? Is there somewhere you can change it from Fantasy PC?
mysplice
Ratman2050 wrote:
How do you add those words to your Search? Is there somewhere you can change it from Fantasy PC?

I'm not sure I understand your question. The keywords in my example are words that you want to add to your website.
Ratman2050
I mean like, how do I add those to Googles Search? Those keywords?
mysplice
Ratman2050 wrote:
I mean like, how do I add those to Googles Search? Those keywords?

Oh, I get what you mean. Well, you don't add them to the google search. You have to add them to your website, then Google will index your pages. Once that is done then your keywords are essentially listed with them.

Once your pages get indexed then when people search those key words more than likely your site will be found as well as the other site that are similar to yours that use the same keywords.

did this make sence?
Ratman2050
My site is now 5th on the first page, typed in Fantasy PC. Im still trying to make it when you type games, arcade, pc, marketplace, contests and those keywords yet.
mysplice
Ratman2050 wrote:
My site is now 5th on the first page, typed in Fantasy PC. Im still trying to make it when you type games, arcade, pc, marketplace, contests and those keywords yet.

Well, at this point all I can say is that you're on the right track. However; your site won't be in that place with the current text you have on your pages.

The key words you suggested are what need to be on your site. I'm not talking about the meta tags either. Those words need to be written all over the body as well as meta tags. Those words are what the average joe will type into the search engine when doing a search for your type of sites. If you content is rich of what people type you will see them come.

If you wait for people to type "Fantacy PC", keep wishing. People won't type that. I can imagine that lots of your traffic comes from this site. Again your on the right track. How much html experiencd do you have?
Ratman2050
Thanks for the reply I have html experience for a little. I only know a bit. Anyways I cannot find where to put the Meta Tags on my PHPNUKE site.
mysplice
Ratman2050 wrote:
Thanks for the reply I have html experience for a little. I only know a bit. Anyways I cannot find where to put the Meta Tags on my PHPNUKE site.

Im not familiar with PHPNUKE but I'm sure adding the meta tags can't be much different that normal pages.

You should go to your control panel/filemanager/. Find the index page and hit edit.

From there you will see the code in the <HEAD>. This is where you want to put your meta tags.
Ratman2050
Ok now my site is 1st I checked 12:00 PM August 27 here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fantasy+pc
CyanEyed
mysplice wrote:

So, Just to recap. When I did a search for "fantacy" alone, I mainly came up with football stuff. Your site was nowhere to be found. This is just an example of SEO.

thats probably sumthin to do with the fact that ur spellin it as: fantacy
but Ratman2050 is spellin it as: Fantasy.

Ratman2050: u may wanna add fantacy to ur keywords meta-tag in case someone lookin for ur site makes hat error. Smile

[off-topic] whats KDE? i found it in ur meta-data [/off-topic]
Ratman2050
Ill try to find where all my meta tags are stored!
CyanEyed
Ratman2050 wrote:
Ill try to find where all my meta tags are stored!

go to ur index page and edit ur meta tags on there.

all i did was go to ur homepage and veiw source
Ratman2050
How do you view source?
SlowWalkere
There should be an option in your browser's menus to "View Source" or view "Page Source." That just means to view the raw html that your browser read to create the page you are viewing.

In Netscape, go to "View" and choose "Page Source." Ctrl-U is also the shortcut in Netscape. In both Netscape and IE, the option appears in the right-click menu.

Alternatively, you'll see the meta tags when you edit your page in an html editor. They're toward the top of your page, in the "head" section.

- Walkere
Ratman2050
Oh thanks, Ill change the meta tags now. I need a description for my site, I dont know what to put, but it should do something with forums.
linexpert
Ratman, i have the same problem. Where did you add the meta tag. I have phpnuke too. I don't know what file to add it to.
I just ended up changing the meta.php file.
thanks
coreymanshack
i have had my site submitted to google for 3 days now.... i have submitted my sitemap also... and have recently added meta tags on day 3... when should i expect my site to be indexed?
manumiglani
coreymanshack wrote:
i have had my site submitted to google for 3 days now.... i have submitted my sitemap also... and have recently added meta tags on day 3... when should i expect my site to be indexed?

soon......... get some backlinks or submit it to directories to get your site indexed quickly by search engines.

linexpert wrote:
Ratman, i have the same problem. Where did you add the meta tag. I have phpnuke too. I don't know what file to add it to.
I just ended up changing the meta.php file.
thanks

edit includes/meta.php file to add meta tags
tamilparks
how can we get the back links is it free or ...
manumiglani
tamilparks wrote:
how can we get the back links is it free or ...

You can exchange links with other webmasters, buy links if you have a good budget Or other webmasters could link to your site themselves if they find it useful.
Ratman2050
coreymanshack wrote:

It takes a week to 2 weeks. Thats how long it took for mine. Good luck.

@ Linexpert, I cant find it, I think its in index.html.
coreymanshack
dang... 2 weeks! thats a long time! my site should be good and ready by then!
Ratman2050
It takes 1 week for it to be indexed, but to find a good position about 2 weeks. Also what keyword are you looking for your site on?
tamilparks
ok thanks for the informations
coreymanshack
i'm typing in php gamers....and my url....
Ratman2050
No problem tamil, well for the keyword php gamers cory, it could take much longer. check the listing and see your competition on google.
linexpert
Quote:

oh, it's only been about 4 days since i sent mine
thanks
vignesh_natraj
your site in number 1 in Google for Fantasy PC
manumiglani
linexpert wrote:
Quote:

oh, it's only been about 4 days since i sent mine
thanks

Submit your site to free directories to get it indexed quickly by search engines....... a list of seo friendly directories can be found at http://info.vilesilencer.com
tamilparks
thanks for the informations

my webpage also no 1 in search engine yahoo

when you search tamil child songs the No.1 webpage is mine

thanks a lot
coreymanshack
my site only took around 3 days to get high on google for the keywords php gamers.... now i'm having trouble with "php games" any ideas?
tamilparks
my webpage is related to tamil http://tamilparks.tripod.com/
Ratman2050
Well it all depends how much you update it and how frequently the keyword is used on your site.

My site Fantas PC isnt even on the first result page for GOOGLE beacause I haven't updated in a bit. Now I just bought a yahoo domain www.fantasy-pc.com
SoftStag
There are so many factors that can affect your ranking, that it will constantly change. You should forget using Meta tags though, they are not essential; in fact they have little relevance any more.

It is all about having the right keywords (the words you want people to seach with) in your text and titles. Also, make sure you use <h1> tags for your headings and have keywords in there.

Also, try to build up backlinks, Google sees your site as important if your backlinks steadily increase; so it then ranks your site higher in the results. You can use sites like Linkmetro to exchange linkls with other sites, or you can contact webmasters directly to exchange links.
tamilparks
ya its correct but very soon its coming down also............