FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Final Fantasy XI

Tasa
So I am looking for a new MMORPG and I have a coworker that swears FFXI is the best one out there. I have played all the XXI titles so I am hopeful that the online version would be good, but I want more then the ravings of a fanboy before I invest the time and money in a new MMORPG and just so you know I have played WOW and I found the game after lvl 60 to be a boring also you are locked into your set up. I do play GW and love the flexabilty of the game and how you can quickly change the way your character works, but I am not a PvPer and a lot the game is PvP.

So this coworker say has told me a lot of the pluses but every game has some bad and I am wondering what that is with FFXI
asiddle423
hi i am a great Final fantasy fan have played from final fantasy 3 through to final fantasy 11
i really dislike the final fantasy 11 as it is nothing like any of the other final fantasy's it is a complete change
i fink the graphics are poor, i lost intrest in the game straight away but thought it would get better as most games start boring but i really didn't see any change

i am a WoW player and as you said when you get to level 60, i also will probably get bored at that level, but they are bring alot of new features into WoW so lets see what happens
Traveller
Truth in advertising: if it's "final," why are there 11 of them?
asiddle423
Each game has a new set of characters except from 1 ans that is final fantasy 10-2 which follows on from final fantasy 10 with a few new characters but still has the origanal characters from final fantasy 10
Hojo
i have played ffxi for over 2 years now and still play it. when you reach high level theres a lot of things you can do, the only thing that bothers me is that you usually need a group of at last 6 people to do things depending on setup. some jobs are also better at killing stuff solo than others (also meaning you will usually never solo exp in later levels unless you are a job that can actually get decent exp soloing). you can level 18 jobs on 1 character. you can then set a mainjob and subjob. subjobs are used to get you certain advantages (additional job abilities or traits from the subjob). some combinations are worthless, some damn good. the pvp in ffxi isnt really good, but since you dont like pvp it shouldnt really matter. a lot of events are planned in NA and JP time usually, which is bad for me since i live in europe and am missing out on a lot of stuff, but you probably shouldnt have too many probs if you live in the us or canada.
for me i sometimes really feel like playing the game, and on other days i dont even login, it depends on what mood im in that day really.
if your coworker plays it and you decide to gove it a try aswell ask him/her to get a worldpass, that way you can play on the same server as your coworker. the game is a lot more fun if you have people to play with that you know in real life
Tasa
Hojo wrote:
i have played ffxi for over 2 years now and still play it. when you reach high level theres a lot of things you can do, the only thing that bothers me is that you usually need a group of at last 6 people to do things depending on setup. some jobs are also better at killing stuff solo than others (also meaning you will usually never solo exp in later levels unless you are a job that can actually get decent exp soloing). you can level 18 jobs on 1 character. you can then set a mainjob and subjob. subjobs are used to get you certain advantages (additional job abilities or traits from the subjob). some combinations are worthless, some damn good. the pvp in ffxi isnt really good, but since you dont like pvp it shouldnt really matter. a lot of events are planned in NA and JP time usually, which is bad for me since i live in europe and am missing out on a lot of stuff, but you probably shouldnt have too many probs if you live in the us or canada.
for me i sometimes really feel like playing the game, and on other days i dont even login, it depends on what mood im in that day really.
if your coworker plays it and you decide to gove it a try aswell ask him/her to get a worldpass, that way you can play on the same server as your coworker. the game is a lot more fun if you have people to play with that you know in real life

Thanks Hojo just the kind of infomation I was looking for.
Tasa
Besides the offical site what are some good sites to get infomation on FFXI? I have to wait til I get a new computer before I buy the game and I like to obsess over a game before I get it. I read things on GuildWars for 3 months before I got it and drove me ex wife mad. First I wanted it then I didn't then I did and then I did, so on and so on. Finally she just said you are getting it for Christmas now shut up. Ok not those words but that idea. Man I love that woman
mtoni
The game looks cool , but I heard that there are a lot of bugs...
carlokes
I love the final fantasy series. Actually i love all games from Squaresoft. Ive played the majority os the final fantasy but i haven't played this one since its online and you need to pay a fee. However i look foward to FFXII release on Europe. Ive seen some screens on Gamespot and it looks amazing !!
rijke111
It is really a shame that Squaresoft lets users pay for there game on top of the cost of buying the game itself. I have always enjoyed playing the Final Fantasy series even when I couldn't play for a while when it was only publishing there games for the Sony Playstation. Now I have played it online and I think it has lost it's glory from the good ol days, but again this is only my oppinion...
Tasa
rijke111 wrote:
It is really a shame that Squaresoft lets users pay for there game on top of the cost of buying the game itself. I have always enjoyed playing the Final Fantasy series even when I couldn't play for a while when it was only publishing there games for the Sony Playstation. Now I have played it online and I think it has lost it's glory from the good ol days, but again this is only my oppinion...

Well it is not like the old FF games that had a set story and goal where you controled 3-4 characters and just play through the story and then you are done. The reason for the monthly membership fee is the fact that they are maintaining the servers and keeping the game fresh. I would agree with you (and in fact did agree with you for a long time) but they have to pay for the servers so you can play the game. As long as the game remains fresh I think the fee is worth it...beats spending 300-400 a year on new games that may or may not hold my intrest for long. If you lose your intrest in an online game you stop paying the monthly fee and move on.
Hojo
some good websites for info on final fantasy xi would be http://www.ffxi.somepage.com and http://ffxi.allakhazam.com

Quote:
However i look foward to FFXII release on Europe. Ive seen some screens on Gamespot and it looks amazing !!

i wouldnt count on square enix to make ffxii that good. so far they mostly let down their european fans, and i doubt thats gonna change in the enar future. i used to like squaresoft/suare-enix a lot, but they keep doing some crap to european customers. like releasing a crappy version of ff10 with 1 inch bars at the top and bottom of the screen because they just didnt bother to fully convert the game to the PAL system
trevtrev
rijke111 wrote:

The game is worth almost every penny in my opinion. But the fees are only to pay the Game Moderatiors and keep the servers lag free. You get what you pay for I guess.
Hojo
In another post trevtrev said:
Quote:
The reliable Game Moderators help keep everything going and keep the game hackless.

i have had lots of situations where people did things that violated the terms of service, i called a moderator and what did they do? They told me they will look into it, and that was it. nothing happened, so they clearly didnt bother to do anything. im sure there are a few useful moderators, but a lot of them dont help out at all (especially you usually have to wait 30-60mins for them to reply because others are spamming em with stuff and by the time they get to you the other guy already logged out to avoid getting caught).
trevtrev
Hojo wrote:
Quote:
The reliable Game Moderators help keep everything going and keep the game hackless.

i have had lots of situations where people did things that violated the terms of service, i called a moderator and what did they do? They told me they will look into it, and that was it. nothing happened, so they clearly didnt bother to do anything. im sure there are a few useful moderators, but a lot of them dont help out at all (especially you usually have to wait 30-60mins for them to reply because others are spamming em with stuff and by the time they get to you the other guy already logged out to avoid getting caught).

size=7]I think it all depends on what the issue is. The second you mention something about someone using a 3rd party tool, they're busting their ass to figure it out.

Wish they could do something about gil sellers though.
trevtrev
Hojo wrote:
Quote:

size=7]I think it all depends on what the issue is. The second you mention something about someone using a 3rd party tool, they're busting their ass to figure it out.

Wish they could do something about gil sellers though.