FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Satellite navigation on phone

tamilparks
satellite navigation is finding its way into mobile phones. if your friends have a cellphone equipped with the latest in connection with satellite navigation, you can find his location on a map on the website.

the website address is http://www.mologogo.com and http://www.a2b.cc

these websites allow you to search for areas close to your location, showing the results ranging from personal blogs to the internet of restaurants and museums etc....it will give the directions and distances also.
tribe
Ha that stuff is pretty neat. I got a GPS on my laptop and in my car, I love them. And I plan on buying a GPS for my PSP when it comes available......

but this thing is really neat.

From what I read its free. To the topic poster: Do you use it? Does it work?
Is it really free???
tamilparks
Oh i am really sorry but i have read this in a magazine but i am not have any connection with me....................if you are having this please check this once and inform me whether its working or not.
lparker3470
try this service...its free

http://www.itag.com
deanhills
Just imagine. If your friend can find you, anyone can. Including those that you don't want to, like marketing people who want to sell stuff to you, or an ex girlfriend or boyfriend who is keeping tabs on you, or the tax man who has your cell number. I like a GPS system where you can find where you are going, but would hate to connect my cell phone with a tracking system.
jmi256
You can already do this on iPhones and Blackberries. You just need to turn the GPS function on (most are off by default) and then download Google Maps. You could also use Blackberry Maps, but I have found that Google Maps works better and has more information. Then when you open up Google Maps, you can search for whatever (Italian restaurants, movie theaters, etc.), and it'll display all of the ones around you. It also gives you directions and you can pick by car, public transportation or walking. It works pretty well in the US, but I'm not sure how it works abroad.
harismushtaq
There are some points really important here.

* In the best of my knowledge, GPS system is not a trasmitting system. It is just based on received signals. Based on those received signals, it can precisely calculate the location. Thus the actual can only be discovered by the person holding the device.

* Now if someone has configured phone to transmit certain information to another place over GPRS/SMS or any other technology through which information can be transmitted, the information will be transfered. But this is obviouly on the choice of the person who has the device.

So you should only transfer data from your mobile to trust worthy people/websites etc. AS long as you do that, you are safe from missuse of your data be that your location, pictures/videos in your mobile or any thing else.
ocalhoun
harismushtaq wrote:

* Now if someone has configured phone to transmit certain information to another place over GPRS/SMS or any other technology through which information can be transmitted, the information will be transfered. But this is obviouly on the choice of the person who has the device.

Or, is it?
Do phone companies -- and therefore the 'authorities' -- have the ability to override a user's preference about that?

Of course, any cell phone can be tracked by triangulating the signal, no GPS needed. If you don't want to be tracked through your cell phone, at least turn it off, and better yet, remove the battery.
deanhills
I'm curious. I'm constantly getting SMS messages that are selling something, heaven knows how they get the info. When people send text messages, can they figure out where you are? I.e. your exact physical approximation?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I'm curious. I'm constantly getting SMS messages that are selling something, heaven knows how they get the info. When people send text messages, can they figure out where you are? I.e. your exact physical approximation?

Your phone will send a signal to acknowledge the receipt of the message.
This signal is very short, so they'll probably only be able to get a general-area fix on the location, unless they send several messages in quick succession.

If 'they' wanted to check your location, the best thing to do would probably be to call. Your phone will send the 'ringing' signal back to the tower while it is ringing, and they could probably find your location before you could turn it off, and they could definitely get the location if you answered it.

There's also signals the phone occasionally sends out searching for a tower or switching between towers. Those signals might be able to give away your location without any activity you could notice.

To be sure, turn it off, and better yet, remove the battery.
If you want to make phone calls from an anonymous location, use a public pay phone, and then get away from it as soon as possible.
Insanity
I'm sure iPhones and other smart phones already have this sort of things on a handy app... since they have the all knowing 3G or whatever network erady...
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
If you want to make phone calls from an anonymous location, use a public pay phone, and then get away from it as soon as possible.
This sounds like James Bond stuff Laughing Thanks for the tips. So at least I know the text messages are genuine marketing attempts. I very rarely get phone calls from an "alien" source, so I should be OK. I doubt I need to ever turn my phone off, and like to keep it on as it is my primary phone number. Also, my Bank likes to check in with me after each credit card transaction I make, I probably need to get a roaming on it one of these days too, although I have resisted because of the cost of the roaming charge and as a result have had endless trouble with the Bank freezing my credit card when I am out of the country. In the Middle East private individuals operate mostly with cell, it is rare that you give a landline number to anyone. Quite a large number of private owners do not have landlines either. We do have public phones that operate with coins or telephone cards, but they are being used less and less as cell phones are quite cheap in the Middle East and almost everyone has one or a variety of cell phones.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
This sounds like James Bond stuff Laughing Thanks for the tips.

If you want to go unnoticed in today's society, you have to be as good as James Bond... Much better, in fact, because you won't have any help from the British government. ^.^

I do like to fancy that I'd be able to 'drop off of the radar', and disappear if I had a good reason to.
paul_indo
jmi256
Quote:
You can already do this on iPhones and Blackberries.

yea but that's just normal function of GPS, you can plot a route to any place, but only you can see where you are on your own GPS map.

What this site and their software does is allow other people to see where you are.

Cool but no thanks. I like my privacy.

If you do it make sure your boss doesn't know. Very Happy Very Happy
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I do like to fancy that I'd be able to 'drop off of the radar', and disappear if I had a good reason to.
I have the same fancy. If it would become necessary then I would get rid of my cell and do as you suggested. Only use a public phone, and make sure I never use the same phone twice.
paul_indo
Easier to buy a cheap mobile phone with a prepaid card and throw it away every few weeks.
Completely untraceable.
That's what most of the terrorist do, and I should know. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
deanhills
paul_indo wrote:
Easier to buy a cheap mobile phone with a prepaid card and throw it away every few weeks.
Completely untraceable.
That's what most of the terrorist do, and I should know. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I guess in that way terrorists are lucky. I've always wondered what they do about banking accounts? In this day and age to open a banking account you have to verify your virtual existence and whereabouts, and where I am it gets checked out as well. There seems to be electronic cross reference checks. Or do terrorists operate on a strictly cash basis?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Or do terrorists operate on a strictly cash basis?

I'm sure they rely on cash whenever possible, and in most of the places where they usually operate, that would be the norm, I suppose.

But, they can get all the benefits of bank accounts/credit cards/whatever by having 'clean' collaborators supply them with what they need.

As long as they are careful to not provide any real link between them and their helpers, then the helpers can do just about anything they want without getting any of the real terrorists caught.