FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is anyone use the new Intel Mac?

Bernard
My Mac crashed since some times and I'm not ready to buy a PC.

On another way, buying one more Mac will mean the new Intel Mac and I'm worry to suffer one more time of compatibilities problems, lacking of old app not adapted to new systemand so on.

Any honest feedback?
ajukdisco
I have used one at work and i think they are excellent, I wish pc's would be made to look liek they do, I have always been a fan of macs but having never owned one then i love workign on them.

I am very tempted to buy one myself but i would use tiger its much more solid then XP , but i am still not 100% to ditch bill gates bad boy windows yet lol. I dont know im just kinda hooked to it but i guess its like everything once you try somethign new then you will get use to it just like i am to windows !
Bernard
Thanks for your feedback.

Well a professional usage is rarely like a home usage, except eventually a pure developper could have some similar problems. In home usage you use plenty minor applications you'll rarely use for work.

In fact it's also a question to switch from a Mac G5 to a Mac Intel, you are used of some applications and hope they work on the new system and I'm afraid to have many problems in that.
Xeniczone
You know what is causing it to crash. It may be a simple solutions. Nothing to do with your processor being a PPC rather then a x86.

Simple protocall of to early mac version. G5's have issues running old mac os x versions such as 10.2.8 though it came and ran fine on the first gen g5's

To small a memory. If your running a app that requires a lot of memory and you don't have enough it will crash. Well turn it's self off. If you don't have harddrive memory enabled. to much then no place to put it so it turns off.

Personally I would go with a powermac instead of the iMac. I have the First Gen g3 iMac and the screen broke. It's hell to replace parts for them. It's like a laptop though it is possible it is harder then just buying a new screen for a powermac. Plus with the quad Xeons core your pritty much set.
Saber
hey, even tho your talking about desktops, the laptops are also intell.... Yah...
anyways, I was wondering what people think about the 'ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI' for graphics. I have no idea about whats good and such for laptos, as if I do end up getting it, will be my first laptop(finally)

I will be using it mostly gaming, er *cough* I mean lab/school work, So I figure, that the 2gzh cpus good enough for that,(I use a amd 1.8 on my desktop and I'm fine with that.) 1gb ram, and then this ati grahics card that I dont know any thing about.

So yah, anyone know weither its good enough or any other comments about the preformance?

-saber
dan751
I'm getting a MacBook Pro soon, with an Intel Duo processor. I've always found Intel reliable. Whenever I used a Mac, it's always been reliable, so, you can count on ultimate relaibilty.
VidE
Check out Dave Nagel's reviews of the imtel macbooks t digital media net, search for macbook reviews. In short, he found even the less expensive macbook kicked butt, even on demanding programs. But yeah, working with older software...
photographerguy
Bernard wrote:
My Mac crashed since some times and I'm not ready to buy a PC.

Have you tried the Apple forums?
It is one of the best community/forums I've ever read. I'm sure somebody can figure out what is crashing your Mac.

I've had my Mac for about a year with no crashes. From what I've read, it seems to me that the most common reasons are corrupted preference files, disk or permissions need to be repaired.
Saber
oh yah, are the macbook pros still made out of titanium? or are they switching? I looked quickly but didnt see it.. I might be blind though.
sonofsneaker
I have a stock 1.5 GHz Mac Mini. It's a rockin' awesome machine. It's an awesome form factor too . I would recommend the Mac Mini to any home user. I think the MacBook Pro is made out aluminum, just like the PowerBook.
ammonkc
I upgraded from a 15" powerbook to a 15" macbook pro 2.16 a few months ago. I don't regret it one bit. I noticed a huge performance increase in the new intel mac. I love it. My powerbook was an awsome machine, but I do get a lot more done with the power and increased speed of my macbook pro.
sphangman
I know that you can't install Adobe CS 2 on it without crashing it ...
I'm going to wait for leopard before i invest ..... by that time everything important should be universal Smile
ammonkc
sphangman wrote:
I know that you can't install Adobe CS 2 on it without crashing it ...
I'm going to wait for leopard before i invest ..... by that time everything important should be universal Smile

Thats not true. I have Adobe CS2 installed on my MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz and it runs pretty smoothly. I haven't even really noticed a real big of performance hit from my Powerbook 1.5Ghz G4.
yhtsolutions
ammonkc wrote:
Thats not true. I have Adobe CS2 installed on my MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz and it runs pretty smoothly. I haven't even really noticed a real big of performance hit from my Powerbook 1.5Ghz G4.

I have Adobe CS2 installed on my Powerbook 1.5Ghz G4
it runs fine...