FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Car Chase in a Movie

HoboPelican
You gotta love a good car chase (or truck, or motorcycle or tank or whatever) in a film. Nothing gets me to the edge of my seat faster than a well done chase scene.

I have two favorites. For laughs, I think "The Blues Brothers" chase scene can't be beat, although the first "Italian Job" is a lot of fun, too. The Blues Brothers movie had the record for most wrecks for awhile, maybe still. For a serious chase, my favorite is "Ronin", with the first chase scene in "The Transporter" being pretty slick, also.

But there are loads of others. Tell us your favorites and why.

Heres a short list to get you thinking.

• Ronin
  • The Blues Brothers
  • Bullitt
  • The French Connection
  • Gone In 60 seconds (original)
  • Gone In 60 seconds (remake)
  • The Italian Job (original)
  • Cannonball Run
  • The Transporter
  • The Rock
  • The Bourne Identity
HDirtwater
Ronin has always been my favorite, although the chase on the freeway in Matrix II was fantastic (even though it was almost completely CGI).
HoboPelican
HDirtwater wrote:
Ronin has always been my favorite, although the chase on the freeway in Matrix II was fantastic (even though it was almost completely CGI).

Yeah, CGI is the way of the future and I'm sure we'll be seeing more and more of it, but I still think it's best when you know that it's real people in a real car. I Imagine someday in the near future, we won't be able to tell if it's real or CGI unless the impossible happens! Smile
HDirtwater
Oh geez, I forgot to mention the classics when it comes to car chases. Any of the Mad Max movies, especially The Road Warrior. Duh... Embarassed
ylmun
HoboPelican wrote:
HDirtwater wrote:
...although the chase on the freeway in Matrix II was fantastic (even though it was almost completely CGI).

Yeah, CGI is the way of the future and I'm sure we'll be seeing more and more of it, but I still think it's best when you know that it's real people in a real car. I Imagine someday in the near future, we won't be able to tell if it's real or CGI unless the impossible happens! Smile

Yeah, some parts of the Matrix II scene obviously were CGI, but a lot of it was real. They built a quarter mile highway in the middle of nowhere to do that scene! If you watch the special features on the DVD, it shows you how they did most of the real live stunts in the car chase. The part with the motorcycle is especially cool.

For pure comedic value, I-Spy (with Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy) has a great chase scene. I thought it was a decent movie as well, but I admit I won't spend any money on it. I'll only watch it on TV.

Also T-2 had a pretty cool motorcycle/truck chase scene.

Let's not forget the James Bond movies...though I can't really remember any specific one...except that one in Vietnam with the motorcycle in "The World is Not Enough". Boy, I like motorcycles.
HoboPelican
ylmun wrote:

Let's not forget the James Bond movies...though I can't really remember any specific one...except that one in Vietnam with the motorcycle in "The World is Not Enough". Boy, I like motorcycles.

Yeah, I kept trying to think of a good one from Bond, also. For some reason they just don't jump to mind. Maybe that says something. Wink Actually, wasn't the water chase scene through London in "The World Is Not Enough", also? That wasn't bad.
sir.paul.chaplin
italian job maybe? those minis are fun
djsamsung
the original french Taxi Wink
HoboPelican
sir.paul.chaplin wrote:
italian job maybe? those minis are fun

Well, as I said, the original would have been my runner up for a fun chase. I guess I didn't really give the remake a chance.
HoboPelican
djsamsung wrote:
the original french Taxi Wink

I've heard of this but never saw it. As soon as I get done here, I'll add it to my blockbuster list Smile The IMDB write up sounds interesting, and it was written my Luc Besson, so it can't be all bad! Has anyone else seen this one?
Farhad
Ronin, only because they used some sweet Audi;s which I love.
photographerguy
HDirtwater wrote:

That is exactly what I was thinking, before I even read your post.

My new favorite is Ultraviolet - the anti-gravity motorcycle chase is amazing.

Swordfish - the bus chase near the end.
Speed - not bad.
Newer James Bond with the ice palace/BMW chase
JoeFriday
as soon as I saw the thread title, I thought of Ronin.. that Audi S8 is one of the best high performance sedans ever made.. I'm glad to see it topped your list

for comedic value, you gotta add The Man Who Knew Too Little

Policeman 1: "You want to tell me what you think you were doing sir?"

Wallace: "Well, back in the straitaway, 95. I could have gone faster but I would have lost you."
TarsajumaClan
The bourne suppremacy had a great one. That car would not die.
soldeinvierno
Ronin and (the French) Taxi are first in my list. Looks like French stunts are pretty good.
HoboPelican
JoeFriday wrote:
as soon as I saw the thread title, I thought of Ronin.. that Audi S8 is one of the best high performance sedans ever made.. I'm glad to see it topped your list

for comedic value, you gotta add The Man Who Knew Too Little

Policeman 1: "You want to tell me what you think you were doing sir?"

Wallace: "Well, back in the straitaway, 95. I could have gone faster but I would have lost you."

I never saw that one. I'll have to add "The Man Who Knew Too Little" to my Blockbuster list.

For Ronin, I read that they had dual, linked steering wheels in the cars. A stunt man drove the car while out of frame and the actors just held on. Made the motions and reactions look great.
mayur
when it comes to car chases or any vehicular chase nothing comes close to Bond movies, the jaguar vs aston martin chase in 'die another day' or even that old eastman color chases, bond rules!
HoboPelican
mayur wrote:
when it comes to car chases or any vehicular chase nothing comes close to Bond movies, the jaguar vs aston martin chase in 'die another day' or even that old eastman color chases, bond rules!

For some reason, Bond chase scenes never grabbed my attention. After the movie is over, I usually don't even remember them. In my memory, they seem to be to gimmicky and don't really bring me to the edge of my seat.

Maybe there are 3 types of chase scenes. Chases that stress comdey, white-knuckle realism, or special effects.