FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Managing Share Files in XP

sunjay
Hey,

In my home there is 3 computers all runnning windows xp pro. I would like to know if there is a way to set a size limit for a shared folder and if it's possible to let specific people see specifice folders eg, computer 1 only sees shared folder 1 on computer 2 while computer 3 only sees shared folder 3.

All computers connect to a 4 port ethernet hub with ADSL modem.

i was thinking maybe external utilities are needed, but i would rather not use external utilites but uncover the xp pro networking features.

thanks

SunJay
scribz
sunjay,

you need to make sure that you are using NTFS as your file system, FAT of FAT 32 wont work for setting up individual user rights. right click on mycomputer, select manage - storage - disk management, it will tell you what kind of FS your using.

This guide describes how to set up sharing and user rights.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/filesharing.mspx

this describes the disk quota settings (maximum folder size)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=183322

good luck,
scribz
sunjay
thank you very much.

Cheers!
SunJay
sunjay
Hey,

I've got another problem - I went to the microsoft sites you (scribz) posted and Microsoft mentioned all the advanced network functions but i can't find them at all on my computer.

So my questions is, how do you get the advanced options?

I'm running Windows Xp Pro with SP2 and have 2 partitions on my hard drive, one NTFS and one FAT 32. My windows is installed on the NTFS partition.

SunJay
DimAce
You may share your folders on NTFS partition ONLY.
Do you have "sharing" tab in Folder->Properties?
sunjay
Hey,

Yeah, I'm sharing files on my NTFS partitions. And yes, at the moment, sharing works great - I can transfer, copy files across the computers with no problem. What I want is to be able to control the network and the shared folders. I want the advanced networking options to show up but I don't know how. At the moment, I can only see three tabs when I right click on a folder (NTFS partition), and that is General, Sharing and Customise. I want to be able to have assess to all those other tabs shown on those screenshots.

At the moment I suspect is something to do with something called 'Simple Sharing' which I have no idea what it is or how to turn it off.

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for all your help and cheers!
SunJay
DimAce
You can turn off simple sharing in Explorer->Tools->Folder options->Tab View->Use Simple File Sharing.
careyd
Looks like you have most of your problems sorted out. But also remember that certain things are limited/more difficult when your working as a workgroup instead of a domain.

Hope that didn't add any confusion Wink

-Dave