FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

School all year long

Blaster
Whats your thoughts on haveing school all year long. So we maybe have like school every weekday and we just have breaks every now and then... would we really graduate sooner. Is it even worth it. I know there is talks that it might come into play around here i don't want it to happen. I enjoy summer break. Plus it is too hot to sit in a class room. And my school dont' have airconditing.

Also 3000th post
Code of Ruin
Congratulations on your 3000th post Blaster. And as for school all year long, I think it would be bad. Humans and especially children need time to unwind. And to unwind you need to have a work-free period. As a child you need time to find out who you are. If you keep children working constantly you will end up with a bunch of frustrated adults that have burn outs and an identity crisis all the time. But hey, at least they will have graduated sooner. To bad they are of no use afterwards.
kazikame
I definitely would NOT want to go to school all year.
alkady
Congrats on the 3000th, I'm still 1800 Post away Crying or Very sad

Actually, It wouldn't be worth going to school all year round. That would mean I would have no time to work on my business which would be a disaster.

But the benefits do sound good. But not really worth it because School already consumes alot of your time, The best you can save is 1-2 Yrs of your life.
OutlawSpirit
ye... my school is like a prison.. no lies Confused

but yea... school should be cut down if anythin, maybe a few more holidays...
Ratman2050
School is very boring. I wouldnt want it to be year around.
william
NO WAY! School all year is BAD. I would not want to spend so much time in school learning. (Though, I like to learn.) I like education, though I'm not fond of school. (I don't learn much anyway.) Sure, I'd get out of school earlier, but every year, I looked forward to the weekend, and summer. The changes that should be made to school are more holidays, LESS HOMEWORK, and more.

Also, congratulations on your 3000th post, Blaster. (I'm not even close. Wink )
hahame
i have graduaed frome school,i like at school,but idon't all day on there
Blaster
Yea i agree that it isn't worth it. Them extra two years means an extra two summers. Razz Also for me there would be no summer reading. Thats about the only good thing out of it. But i hope they dont do that.

Also thanks everyone. william congrats on the 300th i know i have an extra 0 but that means nothing.
eku53ru
Having school all year long doesn't sound too bad; I mean, there wouldn't be too much homework assigned over break, and it'd give teachers more time to cover things (which is, unfortunately, something a lot of them lack when it comes to teaching new material). I'd personally be for it if the schedule were revealed ahead of time; however, the schedule'd probably have to fit my tastes (as well as others).

To come to think of it, the way my current school works is sort of like that when you look at the semesters. There's almost a month break between the fall and spring semesters; and there's a week's break before fall begins if you take the optional summer semester.
nilsmo
Vacation time is all relative. By that I mean that if one isolated island had many month-long vacations and another island had just week-long vacations, both of the islands would feel the same.
sign-our-band
No way school SUCKS
Shocked
izimngcubes15
My brain would explode. O.o
Idoru
One of the greatest benefits of school is that it, for starters, isn't as competitive
as most of your career-steps later on in life. It's actually accepted that you take a few
steps in the outskirts of what your supposed to do, just to get to know yourself.

Removing the hollidays, or even shorten them down, would put that competitive
touch on it, making you feel (even more then today) that you never get away.
People would loose perspective even more and as have been said, schools would
produce something else then it's meant to, so to speak.
Mithrandir
If it meant finishing up earlier I would love to go to school all year long. Having to quit and start back up again is inefficient. All year long school would save us all having to get back into the grove of learning again.
jds10912
school all year long is not only a dumb idea, it is inhumane

i have said all that needs to be said
arkebuzer
You got a point that is will make the education shorter- wich is nice.
Also it will save cash, since you wont have to borrow as much cash.
But Im not sure its a great idea, because its pretty damn hard core to study without any big breaks. I know I would personally not be able to do that.
But sure, they could make it an option, so you can choose yourself if you want to study "normally" or high speed hard core mega hard with no breaks.
Andrew426
Im not really sure what you mean by school all year round...

Down here theres 4 terms, each of these is 10 weeks long.
Between each term there is a two week, except for christmas (summer) when there is an 8 week break. All in all we have 40 weeks of school and 12 weeks off.

Is this what you mean by school all year round?
Im lost...
guissmo
Er... I have a feeling that this is the "hell year" for me as I haven't felt as much pressure and stress as I am this year. (PS: That's why I haven't been Frihosting actively.)
XSTG
I love school.

*prepares to receive punches*

Yes I do love school. But sometimes I'm bored. Please.

Not school all year long. I couldn't stand it even if I like it.
CanadianGeek
School all year round is a bad idea. I recently graduated high school and I was glad to finish. Immediately afterwards, I got a full time job in a call center. Even though I spend more hours in the call center than I ever spent in school, my work never follows me home, unlike school. As such, having school during regular school time was worse (time wise) than working a full time job, not to mention unpaid. Thus, school year round is a very bad idea. The benefits are not worth it.
jds10912
XSTG wrote:
I love school.

*punches the school lover*

no no i'm just kidding
i guess school itself isnt all that bad, pretty much being with your friends for most of the day, but i think that teachers, in my school at least, give out way too much for assignments
my sophmore (in high school mind you, not college) english teacher gave us a book (~400 pages) to read in 2 weeks, which might not have been all that bad if i did not have anything else going on in my life
im pretty sure that teachers think that the only homework that we ever recieve is from them, and we do not do anything besides homework (which i guess is now true, but not from our choice), we do not play for any sports teams, and we do not ahve any friends at all
so i guess you can look at school as an escape from the real work that needs to be done Confused
Blaster
Yea teachers act like we have no lives when most of us do. Especially sports which take forever and we need to spend time with family
alkady
jds10912 wrote:
XSTG wrote:
I love school.

*punches the school lover*

no no i'm just kidding
i guess school itself isnt all that bad, pretty much being with your friends for most of the day, but i think that teachers, in my school at least, give out way too much for assignments
my sophmore (in high school mind you, not college) english teacher gave us a book (~400 pages) to read in 2 weeks, which might not have been all that bad if i did not have anything else going on in my life
im pretty sure that teachers think that the only homework that we ever recieve is from them, and we do not do anything besides homework (which i guess is now true, but not from our choice), we do not play for any sports teams, and we do not ahve any friends at all
so i guess you can look at school as an escape from the real work that needs to be done Confused

I know how you feel, It's the same thing with my Teachers. They say that they are giving us nothing too serious that can be done in like 5 minutes. Which in fact can take hours! Like an Essay, It takes 3 Hours just to write a good 3 Page Essay!
twisthigh
There are many reasons why that would be a bad idea! I need a break to relax, regroup, and prepare for the next year... and of course I need to have some fun... if people never had breaks, they would get so stressed out!! And if school taught me anything, it's that stress is terrible for your health! Also, it's true, when it's hot people can't concentrate, and get tired... so yeah, bad idea, all around!!
Blaster
Yea it will be done in 5 minutes if you write badly. I couldn't stand being with the teachers all year long. Summer is my time to just do what ever. Hang out with friends and family go out stay up late. I couldn't do with out that. Its not like we can just take off school like adults do work.
xray
When I first went to the school,I was 4 years old.yeah,its true..and I am 22 right now and still going to the school Smile what a boring situation!! primary school,high school and university...actually they were nice days in my life..but hope to finish the school next year Smile
Jaan
If there was one, I WOULD, of course!!!
They have all vacations except summer, and their schooldays are much, much shorter. I would have that, because during summer, there's nothing to do after the first two weeks of vacationing Razz
nilsmo
Idoru wrote:
One of the greatest benefits of school is that it, for starters, isn't as competitive
as most of your career-steps later on in life. It's actually accepted that you take a few
steps in the outskirts of what your supposed to do, just to get to know yourself.

Removing the hollidays, or even shorten them down, would put that competitive
touch on it, making you feel (even more then today) that you never get away.
People would loose perspective even more and as have been said, schools would
produce something else then it's meant to, so to speak.

I don't see how going to school daily would make it competitive.

There's weekend to give us humans the relaxing break. We could also have week long breaks for vacations.

The reason kids have vacation now is because in the old days people wanted kids to work at the farms during the summer I've heard.
Temple Of Wisdom
I'm about to start graphic design school. We have class 3 days a week, however we go to school year round. I dont know if i like that or not. I mean i cant take any vacations with friends or family, so it that sence it sucks. But i do like that i only have to go to school a few days a week.
ItsWesley
I've just recently left school, but I agree that school all year round with no breaks would be very tiring and dull, especially in the summer as having to work inside school in hot temperatures can be really annoying.
Blaster
yea and my school dont' have airconditioning except in the mods. and the office. People would get suspened to go in the airconditioning in the office
Idoru
nilsmo wrote:

I don't see how going to school daily would make it competitive.

There's weekend to give us humans the relaxing break. We could also have week long breaks for vacations.

The reason kids have vacation now is because in the old days people wanted kids to work at the farms during the summer I've heard.

True, the breaks used to be a time kids had to work. But that's a long time ago,
and why I say it would make school more competitive is because it would become
a bigger part of the students lives. Now they get a chance to let it all go during
summer and do something completlly different.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Sweden we who work have
a right to five weeks of vaccation. The greater part of that is recomended to be
taken during the summer, or at least togeather. Lost the word for it, but what I
mean is more then two weeks at once. That because otherwise it's not concidered
to give the rest from 'everyday-routines' as necessary.

Simply put, to not let it all go once in a while, is to not move on forward. Everything
melts together to a vaccum and is hard to put in perspective. A long brake can
give one a new perspective and the power of motivation back.