FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Leopard

ParkourJP
Leopard is getting rleased on Spring! Isnt it great? Check out the previes at:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

It has Time Machine which is the best backup system made by far, Spaces which will let you organize your desktop and the windows even easier, Core Animation which is the greatest application to make animations which I have ever seen, and Mail, iChat, Dashboard, Spotlight, iCal, and Accessibility which was been greatly updated! I can't wait till spring!

How do you guys feel about the New Leopard Os which is coming out?
ParkourJP
So sorry guys, please delete this post and move this to operating systems please. I hope this doesn't count as spam. Im so sorry.
orno
Moved to Operating Systems
ammonkc
yeah, Leopard looks pretty exciting. I'll probly upgrade just for the Timemachine feature.
RevolutionGFX
Yeah, I can't wait.
Agent ME
I can't imagine how the time machine feature is much better than a Windows Recycling Bin...
Xeniczone
Hopefully this version will cut the stupid people from installing it on Bios based PC's or Windows based pcs.
budazz
looks good... Ill be watchin it... Nother good OS i think
photon
i think one of the most important features of leapord is the native 64 bit support. i dont think it was there in the previous versions
novisdesign
Ill be counting down the days until Spring. I hope to see good Dashboard enhancements.
kiranaghor
I am kinda sad coz it won't be installed on G3s. My iBook is weeping. But i got Tiget though
Smile
Handyman
I have a G3 ibook also Sad It looks like I might have to breakdown and get a new macbook Very Happy I also have a G4 imac, will it run 10.5? I an running 10.4 now and I am very happy with it. I hope that 10.5 will be this stable.
Kyoushu
Agent ME wrote:
I can't imagine how the time machine feature is much better than a Windows Recycling Bin...

The time machine isn't replacing the Mac's Trash, it's just a new way for people to recover deleted files.
Xeniczone
I plan to save up for the Mac Pro to replace my old PowerMac when this comes out.
Teragonto
I'm planning on buying the Leopard for Boot Camp So I have Windows still with me and since the Mac has beter graphics.
tuncay
Tiger is already great, I really wonder how Leopard will enhance it.
Rocky3478
Teragonto wrote:
I'm planning on buying the Leopard for Boot Camp So I have Windows still with me and since the Mac has beter graphics.

You will need to have a Intel Mac for this to work, however, I think. No G3-G4-G5 series chips can run Windows. It is physically impossible.
cchantrain
And in contrast to Vista, Leopard will not need big config and should work on any decent Mac computer. Time machine looks great but I do not really get the advantage of space compared to the different profile you can already use in Windows or MacOS.
Srs2388
I can't wait to try Leopard Very Happy Tiger was awesome...
sphangman
Hope the time machine has some good editing features on it .. Cant see that you'd want to back up everything !!! ? sure us going to eat through your drive fast enough ,,, !
turbohead
Mac OS X is very nice, but I don't get a Mac. Sad
lukeropro
Leopard rules! It has a nice interface and tons of added features! I can't afford to get a Mac though... Sad
Simulator
It looks amazing, and I'll be buying a Mac Mini in the spring to use as a media centre Computer I really like the look and feel of a Mac System, I use them in work, but I have to say there no good for scripting...
lukeropro
I like the time machine feature. You cannot recover your deleted files after you cleared your recycle bin in windows and sometimes, I get so angry when I accidentally deleted a file I need. I hope windows would have sometime like time machine.
Simulator
Its called System Restore..... though it never works... and if it does most of the files that come back are corrupt
cbw1230
I agree I cannot wait until spring. Some of the new features are really interesting; like Spaces, and Core Animation. I heard rumors that Leopard will be able to run window files (like .exe) without having windows installed; but I really doubt and hope that it won't. The reason for that is because that would open the Mac to the many and many spyware and viruses that plague the window based computers.
Simulator
Yes but Apple care about the people who use their computers so they would make sure that does not happen..... and I think that would rock! I would ditch windows if it wasn't for all the cool crap that runs on it. Virtual PC crap and all that doesn't really work the way I would like it to
{name here}
cbw1230 wrote:
I agree I cannot wait until spring. Some of the new features are really interesting; like Spaces, and Core Animation. I heard rumors that Leopard will be able to run window files (like .exe) without having windows installed; but I really doubt and hope that it won't. The reason for that is because that would open the Mac to the many and many spyware and viruses that plague the window based computers.

Macs can already do that with this new-fangled program called WINE. Any unix computer can do so also.
budazz
But The Time machine will also consume disk space like the recycle bin of Windows
novisdesign
I wonder if Leopard will be taking on the UI of the recently released iTunes 7. Changing the 'candy' look to the 'blown metal' look could be a new feature. iTunes has certainly been a UI test app in the past. Only time will tell.

-gs
photographerguy
I love Tiger.

I bought a PowerBook g4 about 1 year ago, unsure if I should wait for the intel-macs.

Now I am a mac-for-lifer and will buy a new macbook when..

Leapord is released
Adobe Creative Suite CS3 -Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign is out.
There is a refurbished macbook or macbook pro with the specs I am looking for on Apple's site.

I can't wait!!!!
Xeniczone
About the post about if Apple releases an emulator that runs exe files the same way rosetta works, and haveing Viruses infect macintosh.

This wouldn't work anyway. Most if not all viruses and spyware run on Windows Command Prompt Commands or editing the windows regestry that is why it is so easy to make this stuff for windows compared to macintosh or linux. Windows has a regestry that is editible by any user even the limited accounts can edit it. Where linux and Macintosh doesn't.
disidro
I think for Time Machine you have to have some spare HD partition, or better, some external disk. Time Machine will replicate the folders and files you want (even all of the computer files) on that spare partition or disk, everytime you modify some of them. It will save all of the incremental changes, and that's why it will be so much disk space consuming.

I believe it will be the easiest backup utility ever, and it will be integrated with the operating system so that will simplify its use and increase its power and reach. Can't wait to see some other new Leopard applications!
kiranaghor
Hmmm but sad part is G3 users will have to upgrade to use such amazing features. I cant even use ilife 6 coz its for G4 and newer machines. Thank GOD I have Tiger and it does all my tasks and in such a beautiful way !
disidro
kiranaghor wrote:
Hmmm but sad part is G3 users will have to upgrade to use such amazing features. I cant even use ilife 6 coz its for G4 and newer machines. Thank GOD I have Tiger and it does all my tasks and in such a beautiful way !

Hi! Are you sure Leopard will only be available for G4 or newer systems? I read that condition was only for the beta version they're seeding to developers right now...
Kd527
photon wrote:
i think one of the most important features of leapord is the native 64 bit support. i dont think it was there in the previous versions

Previous versions did support 64-bit (as the G5 and Core 2 Duo are both 64-bit), but I think Leopard is even more 64-bit...I don't quite understand it completely...

Anyway, Leopard looks pretty good and I will definately upgrade, although I don't think it was quite as exciting as Tiger (probably not much was)...we'll see. Smile
ryanh2006
I can't wait for 10.5. I love Tiger and I think that it was really ahead of its time. The difference between Tiger and Panther was massive and I hope that leopard will be just as big. I am realty, really happy with the 10 features that were already announced, especially Spaces, Time Machine, and Core Animation. However, I am really psyched to see the rest of the feature list in January. I have a strong feeling that some really big changes have not been shown yet such as a UI change (some pics point towards a unified look, think UNO) an upgraded finder, and other crucial technologies and apps. 07 is going to be a kick ass year for Apple and I can't wait!
Xeniczone
I plan on messing with it and making it run on my old G3 Rolling Eyes

Or if you want to call it hacking be my guessed.
kiranaghor
Even if one gets to install Leopard on G3, it will not be a full blown OS coz G3 is simply unable to work with core animation and all the new stff it is packed with. Some people managed to install ilife 6 on g3 but it did not function well.
nothingXelse
I can't wait...My friends dad is a Dev. so he has the beta. Also the beta hs been leaked. But I won't touch it.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Even if one gets to install Leopard on G3, it will not be a full blown OS coz G3 is simply unable to work with core animation and all the new stff it is packed with. Some people managed to install ilife 6 on g3 but it did not function well.

I have iLife I think '04-'05 and it runs fine on my 350 G3 Powermac. The only time the OS lags is when I push the + on the dock menu to edit it. Other then that it doesn't lag at all.
Plus the way apple has the os set up is it doesn't read the speed it reads the Computer. Like my Powermac is labelled as a Powermac 1,1, and it would be on the disallow list. So even if I put a fast CPU in it so that Leapord will run on it, it will still be blocked because of apples filtering system.

Quote:
I can't wait...My friends dad is a Dev. so he has the beta. Also the beta hs been leaked. But I won't touch it.

Any Developer who is signed up at Apple can get the Beta now but you will also get a bunch of development tools that a normal person wouldn't want on their computer. That and it cost 500+ dollars Very Happy
seeapoko
I have been an Apple fan my entire short life.
The only reason im writing this on a Quicksilver G4 with 933 and 512 RAM is that it still runs anything on it that i need. The only things that have had hiccupps are games that wont install because i have a 'small' CPU.
Cant wait till Adobe releases updates for universal, then ill be able to get an intel mac, gonna be a glorious day...
vandetta
cchantrain wrote:
And in contrast to Vista, Leopard will not need big config and should work on any decent Mac computer. Time machine looks great but I do not really get the advantage of space compared to the different profile you can already use in Windows or MacOS.

I think Space is a great features, it do different from changing profiles, it let you to have multiple screen in one profiles, you can try an application named VirtueDesktop. It do pretty much like Spaces (I think Apple copied spaces from Linux and enhance it!)

Yap, Time Machine, Mail, Dashboard, Spotlight and iCal.. All comes with a very good upgrades.. I will surely like those applications very much!

I never regret to be in Mac community, I get for what I pay Smile
ammonkc
I can't wait to try Leopard. a friend of mine has a WWDC preview release of leapard. Is it possible to take apps from his leopard machine and use them on a Tiger machine? for example, the new safari 3.0 app has a lot of new features. could my friend put a copy of safari.app binary on a flash drive and put it on my Tiger machine? or do these new apps use a new framework specific to leopard? I would love to try out the new safari and see how my sites look in it, but I can't afford to run a beta os on my production machine.
Xeniczone
I don't think it would work.

Those programs are probably compiled to the Mac OS X 10.5 binary only not backwards compadible. You could try by taking the *.app file and it's resource files if any. Putting them on the thumbdrive then moving them to your macintosh but I would think you would get an error saying something like "This app isn't compadible with your Mac OS X version."
Kd527
Leopard will be pretty cool. Time Machine will hopefully finally make me go out and get an external HD and back everything up. Overall I think Leopard will make everything easier...
Wish4Me
My favorite thing about macs is there user efficiency and unlike linux, you dont need to be a pro hacker to use it. I am watiing march to buy a probook just because of this OS. It will be so much better than vista Smile
Adam 552
Umm.. I can't wait! There have been lots of rumours like running windows apps in Mac.. top secret stuff...
dingdongduck08
i'm hoping my computer can handle Leopard.

not only speed wise, but storage space wise.

i currently have a flat panel G4 iMac, with an 80 GB harddrive, and an additional 200GB external firewire drive attached.

from what i've read, it looks like you have to devote large amounts of disk space to store time machine history cache files in, and i don't have that kind of space to give up.

and speed will be a factor too, as it looks like the graphics are pretty amazing, and my computer is struggling to keep up with the simple dashboard effects in tiger.

i'll probably still end up buying the system though.

that, or a new computer.
bubster
How do you guys feel about iLife and iWork? Do you think they'll have a huge bundle with it all together. I think that would be great, because then we wouldnt have to buy them all individually. I would probably cheaper and much easier.
Kd527
You guys with the G3s, just get at the very least a Mac mini! Trust me, the speed boost will be well worth it!

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple bundled iWork along with new Macs, but I don't know about putting iLife, iWork, and Mac OS X all together though. Probably not. (It would be nice...)
johnkimb5
I think Apple might put a spreadsheet program into their iWork bundle. Oh and if you go to the Apple website www.apple.com, the posted a large teaser on their front page. I have heard they MIGHT change the interface. I'm really excited about that! Anyway, the expo is from 1/8/07 - 1/12/07. Hopefully they release it then!!!
Xeniczone
Quote:
You guys with the G3s, just get at the very least a Mac mini! Trust me, the speed boost will be well worth it!

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple bundled iWork along with new Macs, but I don't know about putting iLife, iWork, and Mac OS X all together though. Probably not. (It would be nice...)

I was planning on getting a Mac Mini and ripping the motherboard out of it and fitting it into a iMac G3 case because I really like the iMac G3 cases with the multicolors and stuff. But for now I live with my now Overclocked G3 Powermac.

(Not sure if to do that mod or the Macmini in the G3 or to try a Mac OS X on PS3 hack yet will have to see)

Quote:
Umm.. I can't wait! There have been lots of rumours like running windows apps in Mac.. top secret stuff...

Not really a secret. Apple was having it's fun sueing the crap out of Microsoft for all the stuff they keep "useing" from them. Until Microsoft told Apple if you don't stop sueing us we will stop making Microsoft Office for Macintosh. So they made a contract. Microsoft will continue to use Apples ideas in return Apple will keep Microsoft office, but it wasn't one way. Apple could use Microsofts stuff too.

So Apple now has all of Microsofts Windows APIs. And the idea is the include the Windows APIs in the next Mac OS X OS. Allowing Windows Apps to NATIVLY run on Mac OS X.
kuka37
Reaallly waiting for this one.... Wanna try that Spaces function. I would be really cool. Though, wonder if my mac can run it seamlessly?? Confused
Xeniczone
Whats your Macintosh.

I ran Tiger on a 233mhz iMac g3, with 64mbs of ram. and it seem ok. It ran fine on my Powermac g3 without being noticed. I don't see why Leaperd would follow the same line of allowing you to easily run Leapord on at least a 600mhz Macintosh.
lukeropro
Darn I'm using a PC. I'm thinking of getting a Mac but it's too darn expensive. Maybe next time.
Xeniczone
Ebay + used = cheaper Very Happy
Arno v. Lumig
Xeniczone wrote:
I plan to save up for the Mac Pro to replace my old PowerMac when this comes out.

Could you please stop being such a fanboy and start giving some real arguments?
Please tell me; why should I get a Mac, and why shouldn't I install it on my regular x86 PC? (I didn't install it on my PC, if you were wondering).
toptyg
Apple hot Smile I am waiting this new OS, my friend use MAC on his laptop I see it but I like FreeBsd more Smile
infobankr
I'm hoping that Apple will come out with a UMPC, smaller, lighter, and cheaper than their basic Macbook, but bigger, better, and more expensive than their iPhone! Smile
Xeniczone
Quote:
Could you please stop being such a fanboy and start giving some real arguments?
Please tell me; why should I get a Mac, and why shouldn't I install it on my regular x86 PC? (I didn't install it on my PC, if you were wondering).

Is there a point in just coming out of no where and attacking me?

What does my quote have anything to do with your comment? I want to replace my powermac with a mac pro.

You shouldn't install it on a bios based computer because it is first agenst Apples Lisence agreement, THAT YOU MUST AGREE TO BEFORE INSTALLING THE OS. Second is you can't install it unless you have a beta edition or developers editions which both run off a different lisence that cost more then 5 times as much as the regular lisence. The BS they post online about hacking the disk image and making it work on a regular bios based computer is just that bs. All that image is, is a beta or devlepers copy of the Mac OS X disk with some patches for AMD which they do deserve credit for the patches I guess, but even if you do go out and buy the 130 dollar mac os x disk then download this, it is still illegal because they both run on different lisences.

If you don't have it installed on your computer and I said I hope they improve their security to only run on Apple computers why would you get pissed at me? If you don't have it installed then it shouldn't bother you, of course Wink
why6487
Leopard I see is cool by it's more extended stuff from Tiger but I would say that I am going to use it! Finally the best Mac OS ever is coming! Yo ho!
Mr. Green Twisted Evil
OK, how about going to http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard for a second?

And it's for other Mac OSes.
Ankhanu
Oct. 26 for release Smile

Finally.
ammonkc
I will be upgrading all of my systems on the 26th. I can't wait.

This is a good article about leopard:

http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2007/10/take_me_home_le.html
Bengt
Hurray, it's official, the 26th.
Can't wait to see it in real life Very Happy.