FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can't download files after a Firefox auto update

pansophia
A few days ago Firefox did an automatic security update, and I've been having trouble downloading files ever since. I can download by right-clicking and using "save as" if the link goes directly to the file. However, if you're supposed to click on the link and some function happens to automatically download the file (for instance "download.php"), I get this error:

XML Parsing Error: no element found
Location: chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/unknownContentType.xul
Line Number 1, Column 1:

I've just been ignoring this error and using right-click for the last few days. However, now I'm stuck because I'm trying to get a file that only has the indirect php link. Sad
wowz
Are you getting this error with every download or just this one? It might be that the download link is broken....
orno
are u on windows/linux?
which version are u currently running?
did u try a clean install?
which extensions are u running?
pansophia
Hi - it's every download that uses a php link. If there's a direct link to the file, I can still right-click and "save as".

My OS is Windows XP. I haven't re-installed Firefox yet - I guess that's what I'll have to do. I have a ton of extensions, and I hate to have to find and re-install all of them again. Sad
orno
pansophia wrote:
I haven't re-installed Firefox yet - I guess that's what I'll have to do. I have a ton of extensions, and I hate to have to find and re-install all of them again. Sad

before u do that, just try disabling all your extensions and then trying to download...atleast then u will know if its an extension problem or a firefox problem

alternatively, create a new blank profile and try with that....
pansophia
I wanted to say thanks for the last suggestion - I can download now!
orno
hehe ok Smile
what solved it exactly? disabling an extension or starting off afresh with a new profile?