FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

sharing a scanner on a (wireless) network

ChrisCh
Hey. I've recently setup a wireless network and have it all working nicely with file sharing, ICS and printer sharing, but I can't seem to share my scanner on the network! If it helps, the scanner is a Lexmark X1150 and connects via USB. Smile

So if anyone knows how to share scanners (or cameras) on a LAN please reply!
technology.sponge
I don't think u can share scanners over a network unless its built into a multifucntion; supposing it was, you'd have to look far for a driver hack. Having said that, what's the point of sharing a scanner? You'd hav to walk over to it, put in the picture, set the options, save and remove the item, so why nopt just do it at the pc its hooked up to?
ChrisCh
technology.sponge wrote:
what's the point of sharing a scanner? You'd hav to walk over to it, put in the picture, set the options, save and remove the item, so why nopt just do it at the pc its hooked up to?

The same kind of thing could be said about printer sharing, and yet that seems to be pretty popular! I want to network it because of convenience - the computer that it's hooked up to is usually always in use at my house, so to use the scanner, I have to ask whoever is on the computer to get off while I scan, which can get quite annoying for both people.

So they you might say "so why not move it to the other computer?". Because its an all-in-one, it needs to stay put for the printing and fax features!

So yea if anyone actually knows how to share a scanner on a network, please reply Smile
muggle
It seems that scanning via network is not natively supported by your scanner.
In this case you have to use some kind of third party solution. Maybe this link will help http://www.edn.com/article/CA420629.html. The solution proposed is not free though.
The other solution which comes in mind is some kind of remote access to the computer (e.g. remote desktop, VNC). In general case you won't escape of interrupting the other user.
Jaan
If you don't have a router, buy one. That's the only way you can set up a network. To share a scanner, plug it into your router/pc. Then theres a network setup wizard for sharing files/printers (im guessing scanners too). Try using the windows troubleshooter. It's probably a simple answer, so just use google Twisted Evil
gnomme
muggle wrote:
It seems that scanning via network is not natively supported by your scanner.
In this case you have to use some kind of third party solution. Maybe this link will help http://www.edn.com/article/CA420629.html. The solution proposed is not free though.
The other solution which comes in mind is some kind of remote access to the computer (e.g. remote desktop, VNC). In general case you won't escape of interrupting the other user.
is there any free solution?