FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

7zip

budazz
Has anyone here tried 7zip?.... how good is it?
test32rota
It's good, it's free, but i don't like pure GUI
umeshtangnu
budazz wrote:
Has anyone here tried 7zip?.... how good is it?

ya its a nice winzip or winrar replacement it works just fine with both command line and gui version. also it supports various formats
sprk3
Dear friend

It is very good.
bnbrown
I use it from quite a while and I'm pretty satisfied with it! Recommended.
goansfr
i discover this compress programs when i m downloading emulators and games like nintendo sega

and i was stupefied by the ratio, atleast 10percent

but it works only for a thousands files together
Ranfaroth
And it's opensource (so spyware-less, and more secure)
Eyre
yeah it's pretty good and is accentuated by the fact that it's free Very Happy
wombatrpgs
I use it mainly because it supportsvarious formatting. And, as everyone else has said, its free!
icedrakon
The answer is 7zip is the best i am using so far and is free
Revvion
I am using it for some time now and I think its great. Its the best of all the programs i have tried so far, and free Razz.
iNs@nE
7zip is way better than win rar and win zip if you ask me but hten again you need to know how to make full use of it..

if you got the patience, rip it open and take a look at it and you'll know why I prefer it over other archivers..!!
Psycho_X52
It's preatty good, better than the classic winzip/winrar...
But I think the best is IZArc. Even if it can archive in less formats, it can unpack more formats.
wombatrpgs
About WinZip, I find it useful for most things people would want to do as far as archiving is concerned: Open zip files and occasionaly make them. However, 7zip is a lot mroe powerful. But still for someone not that really into the computer, the default WinZip is fine.
Ranfaroth
wombatrpgs wrote:
the default WinZip is fine.
The default ? Are you sure ?
carlospro7
7zip is really good. The cost is very nice, and it has mostly what you need.
Lamppis
carlospro7 wrote:
7zip is really good. The cost is very nice, and it has mostly what you need.
I haven't never need any other zip apps.
jackill
If You want to test 7zip, You needn't have to install it, tey portable version from here: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable
wombatrpgs
Ranfaroth wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

Not the default as in its on every computer, but as in the classic archival program.
Studio Madcrow
7Zip is the best mainstream compression program out there. There's a few highly experimental things that get better, but it beats RAR and ZIP.

As mentioned before, it works its best when dealing with either large numbers of small files or with big files, but it also manages to outperform the competion with smaller datasets, just not by as much.
rekluzz
I have it installed on both of my computers, but I tend to use Winrar more often since I own that one and I've been using it for years now.
{name here}
I prefer PowerArchiver, but 7zip gets the job done well for what it's worth.
Stubru Freak
I've never needed anything else than 7-zip.

Did you know 7-zip compression is used to make the Firefox installers?
Tartaglia
7-Zip is fairly good program to use, but I still prefer Winrar since it can open 7-Zip, Zip, Rar, and a few other formats, fast and easy, and zip files quickly and easily into a Rar file.
toptyg
I like use WinRAR but have installed 7zip becose so many files arch with it.
fadirocks
I had hard time with some RAR formats so i had to switch back to WinRAR so umm 7zip is good and free but I need my winRAR! especially I make exe files for some of my friends who have no clue with anything Razz
Ranfaroth
wombatrpgs wrote:
Ranfaroth wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

Not the default as in its on every computer, but as in the classic archival program.
What I wanted to say, is that WinZip is no more the classic archival program. That was true last century, but nowdays, it has been replaced by 7-zip...
maletz
7-zip is the greater and is free.
silverdown
It nice i like it.
tony
i love 7zip - it is very nice software ya. have good time using it as it supports many formats ya..

nice, nice program..
jenjenzorz
Honestly, I have Winzip, Winrar and 7zip, and out of the three, 7zip is the honest favourite. I can honestly tell you, in a few months when I get my own laptop, 7zip will be the zip program I download/install to it.
theem
yep i use specially to make tar.gz & tar.bz2 files ... Arrow
wombatrpgs
Yes... The format capabilities are certainly helpful... As opposed to ZIP only appplications, whihc I've found a lot of... But the tar.gz... Very handy for internet use.
ennnzo
It is very handy. i use it myself and I got to say I don't need to pay for WinZip if I've got something like this for free. It can open most anything (.zip, .rar, .7z, .tar, .gz, etc..) Smile
Stubru Freak
luomemdu wrote:
right , i love 7zup, too, it is a good software, but winrar is best

Why? 7-zip is free and can open a lot more.