FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

About the file names...

Jaime
I write a image name (i think in pages also) in the direction bar...

http://jaime.frih.net/imagen.JPG
This file exists but show that stupid 404 error... Shocked

http://jaime.frih.net/imagen.jpg
then i write in the direction bar the same name but the extension in lowercase (small letters) and the image appears... Confused

It will be nice that we can put the file type in UpperCase(Capital Letters) or LowerCase(small letters) and always show the image... Question Question
garionw
thats not a frihost problem, its a Linux or UNIX problem way out of Bonding's hands

But I could be wrong
Kaneda
garionw wrote:
thats not a frihost problem, its a Linux or UNIX problem way out of Bonding's hands

But I could be wrong

You're absolutely right. Although I wouldn't call it a "problem" as such, just a difference in approaches. Wink On *nix systems, filenames are case-sensitive. imagen.JPG and imagen.jpg refer to different files (and actually, both files can exist in the same folder/directory). On Windows, filenames are case-insensitive - imagen.JPG and imagen.jpg are the same file.
nox-Hand
Indeed - I think I read about some sollution for it on the net some place - that should be implemented Smile
Kaneda
Well, you could keep all files in lowercase and use mod_rewrite to convert any request to lowercase, but the specifics of that are outside the scope of this forum, and I don't see much use for such a solution anyway Smile
ocalhoun
NO! Never do that. Do not change all filenames to lowercase!
You see, in both databases and html files, the case would remain the same, and links that were uppercase will then stop working.

2 solutions for you:
1: use a standard naming scheme, so you always know what case to use.
2: build and test your sites on a linux system.
Kaneda
ocalhoun wrote:
NO! Never do that. Do not change all filenames to lowercase!
You see, in both databases and html files, the case would remain the same, and links that were uppercase will then stop working.

1. Noone said anything about changing anything. keep != change.
2. Unless you have hundreds of files, it's not that hard to change links too. Even then, it's a simple search/replace for the most part.
3. Even if you didn't change the links, they'd still work - that was the purpose of using mod_rewrite.
4. Didn't even suggest to do it: "specifics are outside the scope of this forum, and I don't see much use for [it]"
5. Your solutions won't solve the problem of "It'd be nice if we could enter the filename in UpperCase(Capital Letters) or LowerCase(small letters) [in the URL bar] and have the image displayed in either case" - which is how I read the original question.

Smile