FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac good stuff or bad stuff

undoweb
What do you like at apple`s and what do you don`t like.
Whell I like about macs:
- cool design
- very simple to use operating system
- not busty like windows ( I have my apple and didn`t busted no time )
- operating sistems work on oldest machines ( i have a g3/350 and the os flyes on the machine )
- something new and something good!
budazz
you can check the new leopard mac... and see the new things from it
Rocky3478
Likes -
Never crashes
User-friendly (things are where they logically should be)
Idiot-proof
Easy to install things (like printers, etc.)
VERY secure (no need for Anti-virus

Dislikes -
The G4 chip is sometimes slow (The new Intel Macs are not slow at all. Very Happy)
Can be difficult to uninstall system-level items
undoweb
Whell, I don`t have money to buy a new and a good machine! I don`t like that peoples said that apple sucks becouse there isn`t apps. But I am surprised, there is more apps and games for mac.
Mac is something new, different besides normal pc`s crashes with that idiot operating sistem stoled by Bill Gates ( Watch at the Movie "The Pirates of the silicon Valey" ).
{name here}
Good:
* Stability
* Speed
* Case design if you like off-white plastic
* Graphic Design Capabilities

Bad:
* The Brushed Metal theme is ugly and the Aqua theme is nice, but getting rid of brushed metal will replace Aqua too.
* There are no upgrades, so when you have to upgrade annually(since apple can't ) you will have to blow big bucks on a new version.
* If Apple makes a new API and breaks backward capability again you're screwed because it will be implimented with slow emulation(ie. Carbon and Adobe CS2)
* People will mach you.
wetumka_ok
I Love the Power PC, I believe it's the fundamental difference, besides the operating system, between a windows machine, and mac I'm leary about this new intel core duo cpu, already many users are adopting 10.4 and running it on amd and full intel pc's with limited success, this i believe is good and bad! I forsee a few different things. 1st many more pc, and mac users are going to run this on cheaper hardware. Non Mac's ! also I see Apple not selling pc's any more being forced to just sell the OS. and us Mac customers suffer with quality issues windows pc users have!
Xeniczone
Quote:
* The Brushed Metal theme is ugly and the Aqua theme is nice, but getting rid of brushed metal will replace Aqua too.
* There are no upgrades, so when you have to upgrade annually(since apple can't ) you will have to blow big bucks on a new version.
* If Apple makes a new API and breaks backward capability again you're screwed because it will be implimented with slow emulation(ie. Carbon and Adobe CS2)
* People will mach you.

That brushed metal theme hasn't been used since Mac OS 9. Aqua is all X.

There are upgrade versions. I find them on ebay all the time. I don't think they offer them for tiger anymore because its beens so long since it's been release, and on release Mac OS X is still cheaper then a new windows upgrade. (professional edition because Apple doesn't make a cheap version of OS X like microsoft does.)

Though the x86 doesn't have this. Classic Envirment gave you mac os 9 software. No longer really needed because if your still using that old software you need to just move back to Mac OS 9.

x86 has Rossetta runs in the background and automaticly loads with not real speed difference.

People will mach you? OK.... w/e this means.

by all means. Apple makes not "Cheap" hardware in price and in quality. Mac hardware is really nice. They only place Apple should keep of in its hardware company is CRT displays for the fact the iMac G3 CRT would break in their gen 1,2 versions, and the eMacs would have CRT issues as well.

You see a bunch of PowerMac g5s that have been drop pritty hard to bend half the aluminin case but still keeps the computer in full working order.

I have a 1998 G3 that still runs well. Even with all the effects of Mac OS X running on it. The only real issue I run into is it is slow at compiling HTML aka surfing the web is a little slow but other then that runs pirtty well with Adobe Photoshop CS2, iTunes, and other programs similar.

I can't really think of any other cheaply produced Apple hardware other then the CRT. Unlike Dells Old Dimension cases that the plasic wouldn't hold together or Compaqs Cheap CD drives and screens.

The only way I see a PC reaching the Qualtiy that Apple puts into their hardware is to build it yourself. Buy a sterdy case and good parts just like Apple Makes.

Like I said before 1998 PowerMac still runs great no replacment parts other then more memory other then it's origanal 64mbs Razz Origanal cost around 1000 dollars and still shows it running high quality even by 2004 standards I wouldn't say 2005 or 2006 because Tech has advanced a lot sences then but still I use it. Kids have run surfing the net on it with no worrys of them downloading spyware or viruses. Though they broke my PowerMacs mouse I was pissed. Though it needed a new one anyway.
photographerguy
No crashes
No spyware/viruses
Looks better
iLife comes with OS purchase
Easy installation for apps, no registry
No need to reformat due to system performance.

Dislikes:

None

I really like how my Mac will let me have many programs open at once.
I use Photoshop with big files and Blender to do 3d renderings/animations. These involve using alot of memory for "number crunching" commands. On WinXP my computer will bog down horribly after doing one of these or trying to cancel a command that made the comp use its swap file. It usually required a reboot to get it running at full speed again. My Mac does this with no problems.

I am basing this on two laptops with the same RAM/MHZ speed.
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:
* People will mach you.

That brushed metal theme hasn't been used since Mac OS 9. Aqua is all X.

That is platinum. Brushed metal is the theme found in Safari and the finder(which can be switched to aqua. Example:

Those finder windows are in brushed metal.
Quote:
There are upgrade versions. I find them on ebay all the time. I don't think they offer them for tiger anymore because its beens so long since it's been release, and on release Mac OS X is still cheaper then a new windows upgrade. (professional edition because Apple doesn't make a cheap version of OS X like microsoft does.)

That's strange because I always find people complaining on digg and /. that they can't get and upgrade version of Mac OS X, just a full version. I've not been in the apple store in a while so I don't recall whether there are upgrades or full versions.
If you want to keep up to date, you need to upgrade. Windows hasn't had a full new version for a standard desktop since 2001, and service packs and patches to keep up to date are free to download. Apple however has released 5 OSes in the last few years. Mac users have to pay many a pretty penny more to stay up to date with their system compared to a user of Windows or Linux.

Quote:
Though the x86 doesn't have this. Classic Envirment gave you mac os 9 software. No longer really needed because if your still using that old software you need to just move back to Mac OS 9.

x86 has Rossetta runs in the background and automaticly loads with not real speed difference.

My mistake.
Quote:
People will mach you? OK.... w/e this means.

I might've misspelled it(mock could be it). You know, make fun of you. Of course this is if you're in a community like TPILOL's or YTMND's.
cheeta
MAC means father of Morden computer... eye shoothing effect cool OS... easy to work with... very comfortable...

but main and only problem is Compatible softwares r hard to find... i mean just google for a small tool... now 90% of them wont run in mac... Sad

otherways MAC roockzzz
Rocky3478
cheeta wrote:
but main and only problem is Compatible softwares r hard to find... i mean just google for a small tool... now 90% of them wont run in mac... Sad

Easy to fix. Just use Versiontracker.com! Much better then just Googling...
kiranaghor
There is a special mac serach in google which serches for mac related stuff only. And u can try [url]mac.softpedia.com[/url] or macupdate.com or versiontracker.com. u will find a lot of good software there.
ParkourJP
Juste to tell you guys that said about liking Macs because they don't crash, most of the people hate Macs because they crash so I don't really get you guys there...Anyways I am a Mac User and I love Apple ever since. I like how they're always a step ahead from Microsoft Laughing
Saber
Quote:
most of the people hate Macs because they crash so I don't really get you guys there

Well momst the peopel I know dont like mac because game companies dont spend the time making it work on os x(9)..

and how did they make it crash?

(I know that its not possible to make something thats not crashable, and understand that mac DO crash... just almost never, from my experiences)
photographerguy
I did forget to mention the lack of games as something I disliked.
But it is a blessing in disguise, because I get more work done.
Xeniczone
Quote:
That's strange because I always find people complaining on digg and /. that they can't get and upgrade version of Mac OS X, just a full version. I've not been in the apple store in a while so I don't recall whether there are upgrades or full versions.
If you want to keep up to date, you need to upgrade. Windows hasn't had a full new version for a standard desktop since 2001, and service packs and patches to keep up to date are free to download. Apple however has released 5 OSes in the last few years. Mac users have to pay many a pretty penny more to stay up to date with their system compared to a user of Windows or Linux.

Linux users WHAT? Linux is free.

Let me find a upgrade disk for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-MAC-TIGER-OS-X-v-10-4-NEW-SEALED-UPGRADE_W0QQitemZ320018715673QQihZ011QQcategoryZ80258QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just an example I know apple doesn't offer this upgrade anymore. You may find an upgrade cds again when leopard comes out.
whatif
Good:
-Better-looking. (Windows is just soooo ugly!)
-More user-friendly. Things are where they belong.
-They desktop is neater because each application does not fill up so much extra space with its toolbar, etc.
-The apple menu as opposed to the start one. (It is so much neater. As you must've noticed, I appreciate neatness. I have enough with a messy house!)
-The dock. (How they show all the icons, not words, have the windows and the applications separately, the trash is there, the applications in use are marked, etc, etc. The Windows "dock" is so messy with the words spelled out, and just the way it's set up. And because they write the words it takes forever to find what you want.)
-How easy it is to work with multiple windows and/or applications.
-The fact that each application is not a window, just each "logical" window. It is so annoying in Windows, where when you close a document you close the application, and it is so hard to move between sub-windows in an application.
-The fact that when you click on an application twice they don't open it for you twice.
-Safari (self-explanatory, but I can provide an explanation if necessary...)
-No worry about viruses.
-So much more...

Dislikes:
Many internet downloads incompatible. However the newer Macs deal with this, plus, this has only to do with the fact that the masses (and this is solid proof as any that the masses are hopelessly stupid) use Windows. And they only use it because the masses use it.
What a pity.
Xeniczone
Quote:
( i have a g3/350 and the os flyes on the machine )

I also have this machine. The ram was upgraded to 512mbs, Hard drive was upgraded and DVD rom was added. It runs great with Mac OS X 10.2
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:

Linux users WHAT? Linux is free.

Let me find a upgrade disk for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-MAC-TIGER-OS-X-v-10-4-NEW-SEALED-UPGRADE_W0QQitemZ320018715673QQihZ011QQcategoryZ80258QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just an example I know apple doesn't offer this upgrade anymore. You may find an upgrade cds again when leopard comes out.

My point was Linux IS free. I guess there are quite a few people on the net that are wrong, including me because I believed them...
hofodomo01
i dunno, but for me, the optimal setup is (disregarding price...haha yeah right)

a windows laptop (inspiron 6000+) for games and such, and a mac notebook for media (videos, music, photoshopping!!!)

have both ready to go...
Xeniczone
Quote:
y point was Linux IS free. I guess there are quite a few people on the net that are wrong, including me because I believed them...

Don't worry Apple hasn't released a Upgrade for a long time but my point is the full version is still cheaper then the upgrade version of windows.
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:
y point was Linux IS free. I guess there are quite a few people on the net that are wrong, including me because I believed them...

Don't worry Apple hasn't released a Upgrade for a long time but my point is the full version is still cheaper then the upgrade version of windows.

But how many major releases of windows have there been in the last 6 years?
Xeniczone
Eh? Not enough.

Windows XP Pro: 300 dollars
Windows XP Pro Upgrade: 200 dollars
Windows XP Home: ---
Windows XP Home Upgrade: 100 dollars

Mac OS X 10.4.7: 130 dollars

I would consider Mac OS X to be compared to Pro version of windows. Making it cheaper.
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
Eh? Not enough.

Windows XP Pro: 300 dollars
Windows XP Pro Upgrade: 200 dollars
Windows XP Home: ---
Windows XP Home Upgrade: 100 dollars

Mac OS X 10.4.7: 130 dollars

I would consider Mac OS X to be compared to Pro version of windows. Making it cheaper.

How about keeping up to date?

2000 Upgrade - $219
XP Pro - $300
Total Cost: $519

Keeping OS X up to par?
Cheetah - $130
+ Puma - $130
+ Jaguar - $130
+ Panther - $130
+ Tiger - $130
+ Leopard - $130
Total Cost: $650

This ends up much more than getting windows up to date(that is if Leopard comes out before Vista, and if not then the difference is about $1). This will definately change when vista is released. OS X will be quite cheaper to stay up to date.
novisdesign
dislikes: nothing except no games.

thats it.
-ga
Xeniczone
No one says you have to upgrade to the least I've been getting by since Mac OS X 10.2.8 I don't thing you can do much with version 0 or 1 but 2 you can still find a bunch of software for. I just bought Mac OS X 10.4 I never bought 10.3 and I got by. Not to mention I bought tiger used for 12 dollars.

The full version of windows vista will be 450 dollars. that is Ultimate Vista. The cheapest is Home but also being the one without all the security stuff.

Basicly what you make up for buying the OS in Apple is you have to pay out on the Hardware. Windows you save on the hardware but put out on the Software.

such as iWorks is only 80 compared to Office which is almost 2x as much.
Somebody
Guys, you forget, that
- you get the actual Mac OS X if you buy your Mac, with a coupon for a 50% rebate if you want to upgrade to the next sytem if it comes out.
- Mac OS X is not Windows Starter edition, and not an XP home. It's pro. And if you compare pices, compare prices of Leopard (one version), and Vista ultimate.
Xeniczone
Mac has plenty of games.

Even with Transgaming it has all the game windows does.

I have had one crash on my mac and that was because my brother opened every apps and then did something when I tried to close them the machine just shut off.

Windows. I can't count the number of times it has crashed.

Mac OS X does run faster on slower machines then windows does. Windows really sucks the machines resourses dry.

I really couldn't tell you a con about mac the way it looks is more opition then it is fact. I like it.

Many people say Mac Suck but those are the same people that don't know what they are talking about because they haven't learned how to use one or they tried it for 1min and said forget it. If we did that for everything that was new for us then Everything would suck.

O, I found a con. Mac has to run on Apple hardware only and apple hardware though high quality is very expensive.

Well that is all I can think of. The OS it's self is pritty profected from my point of view.
Saber
well a pro is being able to do fun stuff(tinkering around with the system), such as, IalertU , hers a video of it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkAtRfA1UXc

and as many have said, though apple is nice quality wise, it still takes a good bite out of your wallet.

-saber
sphangman
I've heard somewhere that they are considering preinstalling , or at least bundling XP with the next version of macs ( leopard ) considering that at bulk u can buy XP for £100 .. wouldnt make much difference to Apple and may well get more PC users to bite !
dingdongduck08
•Easily Manage mulitple forms of media
•Easily create Videos and Websites using that media
•Appearance
•Compatibility with other Systems

Dislikes:
•Price
•Practically impossible to upgrade standard desktop computers
•Demand to update software, which puts a strain on older hardware