FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what part of world history do you want to witness?

jcvincent
If you are to be given a time machine, and travel to the past, what year or century, or millenium will you go or visit?

For me, I will go back in the time where Egypt was at its peak of greatness. i want to see how they build their pyramids, their temples, and their cities. In such an early cvilization, I admit, ancient Egyptians really amaze me. Their superb ancient technology, and their architechtures were great.

Also I want to see those princesses with those body paintings. I'm a bit curious about it. LOL.
Sappho
I would like to know what happened in Mohenjo-Daro around 1700 BCE Wink

Quote:
Archeologists stated the ancient town had been probably ruined with a nuclear blast. The modern analysis showed, the fragments of the ancient town had been melted with extremely high temperature not less than 1,500 degrees centigrade. Researchers also found the strictly outlined epicenter, where all houses were leveled. Destructions lessened towards the outskirts. Dozens of skeletons were found in the area of Mohenjo-Daro their radioactivity exceeded the norm almost 50 times.

Yep an atom bomb like 4000 years ago, who wouldn't want to know about that. Smile
windrei
the three kingdom period of China, which is more than 1000 years ago. i'd like to see those generals which are so famous till now.
S3nd K3ys
I wanna see how long it takes, (counting from the late 70's when all this pissed off islamofascist crap really got started in terms of the current events) to wipe out terrorism and bring the rest of the world into the present day.
NatetheGreat
Sappho wrote:

Quote:
Archeologists stated the ancient town had been probably ruined with a nuclear blast. The modern analysis showed, the fragments of the ancient town had been melted with extremely high temperature not less than 1,500 degrees centigrade. Researchers also found the strictly outlined epicenter, where all houses were leveled. Destructions lessened towards the outskirts. Dozens of skeletons were found in the area of Mohenjo-Daro their radioactivity exceeded the norm almost 50 times.

Yep an atom bomb like 4000 years ago, who wouldn't want to know about that. Smile

I think I'd want to go there, too. Dancing
jcvincent
Sappho wrote:

Quote:

Interesting. I think I'll go with you.
jcvincent
here's what i found out about Mohenjo-Daro.

Quote:
Mohenjo-daro (Hindi:मोएन-जोदड़ो) was a city of the Indus Valley Civilization, some 80 km southwest of modern Sukkur, Sindh, Pakistan, and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is better preserved than Harappa, and is a more informative source on its parent civilization. Mohenjo-daro is about 400 miles away from Harappa. It was built around 2600 BCE, and was abandoned around 1700 BCE, probably due to a change of course of the river which supported the civilization. It was rediscovered in the 1920s by archaeologists. The site has been jeopardised by rising groundwater from the nearby Indus River.

The language of the Indus Civilization has yet to be deciphered, and the real name of the city as of other excavated cities in Sindh, Punjab and Gujarat, is unknown. "Mohenjo-daro" is Sindhi for "Mound of the Dead." (The name is also seen with slight variants such as Moenjodaro.)

Mohenjo-daro is a remarkable construction, considering its antiquity. It has a planned layout based on a grid of streets, with structures constructed of bricks of baked mud, sun dried bricks and burned wood. At its height the city probably had around 35,000 residents. It had an advanced drainage system, a variety of buildings up to two stories high and an elaborate bath area. The bath area was very well built and had a layer of natural tar, to keep it from leaking. Being an agricultural city, it also featured a large well, granary, and central marketplace. It also had a building with an underground furnace (hypocaust), possibly for heated bathing.

Mohenjo-daro was successively destroyed and rebuilt at least seven times. Each time, the new cities were built directly on top of the old ones. Flooding by the Indus is thought to have been the cause of destruction.

The city was divided into two parts, the Citadel and the Lower City. Most of the Lower City is yet uncovered, but the Citadel is known to have the public bath, a large residential structure designed to house 5,000 citizens and two large assembly halls.[/qoute]

This information was taken from en.wikipedia.org.

HDirtwater
I would like a time machine to go back to April 1865 and assasinate John Wilkes Boothe before he got a chance to go to Ford's Theatre. Things would have been a lot better in the US if not for Lincoln being killed.

Either that, or go to Paris in 1919 and get the Allies to get the Versailles treaty right instead of a lame-azz one that made Germany so pizzed that they started the second world war.
karysky
I'd like to go back to the first humans, to see how they lived, what they smelled, what they looked like...

Did they have emotions as complex as ours ? Language ?

I would just like to take a look at my ancestors...

If the machine would go forward in time, I'd like to see the day of the Apocalypse. To know how that great world would end.
Tatsumaru
I'd go back to Feudal Japan a long time ago, and see if Samurai and Ninja are anything what I picture them to be.
Sappho
jcvincent wrote:
here's what i found out about Mohenjo-Daro.

Quote:
Mohenjo-daro (Hindi:मोएन-जोदड़ो) was a city of the Indus Valley Civilization, some 80 km southwest of modern Sukkur, Sindh, Pakistan, and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is better preserved than Harappa, and is a more informative source on its parent civilization. Mohenjo-daro is about 400 miles away from Harappa. It was built around 2600 BCE, and was abandoned around 1700 BCE, probably due to a change of course of the river which supported the civilization. It was rediscovered in the 1920s by archaeologists. The site has been jeopardised by rising groundwater from the nearby Indus River.

The language of the Indus Civilization has yet to be deciphered, and the real name of the city as of other excavated cities in Sindh, Punjab and Gujarat, is unknown. "Mohenjo-daro" is Sindhi for "Mound of the Dead." (The name is also seen with slight variants such as Moenjodaro.)

Mohenjo-daro is a remarkable construction, considering its antiquity. It has a planned layout based on a grid of streets, with structures constructed of bricks of baked mud, sun dried bricks and burned wood. At its height the city probably had around 35,000 residents. It had an advanced drainage system, a variety of buildings up to two stories high and an elaborate bath area. The bath area was very well built and had a layer of natural tar, to keep it from leaking. Being an agricultural city, it also featured a large well, granary, and central marketplace. It also had a building with an underground furnace (hypocaust), possibly for heated bathing.

Mohenjo-daro was successively destroyed and rebuilt at least seven times. Each time, the new cities were built directly on top of the old ones. Flooding by the Indus is thought to have been the cause of destruction.

The city was divided into two parts, the Citadel and the Lower City. Most of the Lower City is yet uncovered, but the Citadel is known to have the public bath, a large residential structure designed to house 5,000 citizens and two large assembly halls.[/qoute]

This information was taken from en.wikipedia.org.

Nice one but how can flood cause increased radioactivity. Wink
mschnell
I'd like to go back to Song or Tang dynasty China--from what I've read it sounds like a pretty sweet time to have been Chinese. No one seems to realize that China was way further than the west in technology until not too long ago when Europe pulled out of the dark ages. I think it would have been a pretty sweet time--ancient China sounds so awsome.
Kaisonic
I'm not much of a guy for history (I honestly don't see the point in learning about it, but I don't want to start an argument or anything, so don't hold me to that statement), but I'd like to go back and see the whole thing with Jesus. I'm one of those Agnostic guys, you know, the guy that doubts everything but doesn't really know for sure. This way I could know for sure whether all that stuff happened or not. I think that'd be cool. But I really don't think I'm invited...
alkady
Back to the Colonization of the New World when the Continent was a Frontier to the West.

That must have been a great age since it was a unknown world, It was unexplored and so on.

It was a new Frontier and it would have been great to explore it etc.
izcool
I would like to go back to the end of December 1999 and relive it again, because my parents scared the living daylights out of me (I was young, so what do you expect ?) by them saying that at the stroke of midnight that the world is going to end when the calendar year changes from 1999 to 2000.

I want to relive that since I want to get a better look on it, instead of worrying that we're all going to die. Rolling Eyes

- Mike.
jcvincent
izcool wrote:
I would like to go back to the end of December 1999 and relive it again, because my parents scared the living daylights out of me (I was young, so what do you expect ?) by them saying that at the stroke of midnight that the world is going to end when the calendar year changes from 1999 to 2000.

I want to relive that since I want to get a better look on it, instead of worrying that we're all going to die. Rolling Eyes

- Mike.

Same here. Lots of people say that. Others even said that there will be no electricity by 2000. hehehe. so what happened now? i guess their prediction was wrong. maybe its the year 20,000. not 2000. Nice post!
Varo
The only thing I found about the atomic bomb thing of Mohenjo-Daro was the theory of a man named David Davenport. He even wrote a book called 2000 AC Diztruzione Atomica ( Atomic Destruction 2000 BC). I found a page that summarized his theory. It sounds kinda crazy in some parts like for one thing he thinks aliens dropped the bomb but he does raise a few points. Like how could things get so hot that it melted bricks. This article says nothing about high radioactivity but if there is how could that be explained? Maybe a goverment cover up who knows. http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/arqueologia/esp_mohenjo_daro_1.htm#atomic_bomb

Edit: http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ancientatomicwar/esp_ancient_atomic_7.htm Another link about it.
OneBadOmen
I'd like to go back and see Jesus but i'm sure a lot of people would. But I think going back and seeing how Julius Caesar commanded his army and got to power would be a pretty interesting thing to witness.
Blaster
This is a hard one. I'd probley have to say when... WWII started. I love world war two and it really intrestes me. I love the guns and everything in WWII. So i'd want to go and vist during WWII
woundedhealer
I'd like to see how Stonehenge was built. I'd also like to go back to the times of the early Druids and go through their training, which lasted 20 years.
Soulfire
I'm fascinated with European history, so probably anything in that area - and I mean anything. I would love to see the castles being built, the marketplaces, etc.
TheGameRKO
I would want to go back to when Jesus was alive. So I could see if Jesus was real or not, if he was, then I would want to see when he died, and how it felt and how he looked like.
Josso
I'd go back to the Roman invasion on England, I kinda always figured it would be pretty brutal and really interesting. I suppose not at the time Shocked but I could observe carefully. That's as far as my imagination streches I'm afraid Laughing.
ryanh2006
I would love to go back to Medieval England. Sure it was stinky, and peasant filled but it was also the time of awesome sword fights, lance fights, hot princesses and boat loads of honor and chivilry! Very Happy
poisonhzkj
windrei wrote:
the three kingdom period of China, which is more than 1000 years ago. i'd like to see those generals which are so famous till now.

aha, I am a Chinese, Go with me?
amusic
I wanna go back to the first human on earth. See where they are come from.
sign-our-band
jcvincent wrote:
If you are to be given a time machine, and travel to the past, what year or century, or millenium will you go or visit?

For me, I will go back in the time where Egypt was at its peak of greatness. i want to see how they build their pyramids, their temples, and their cities. In such an early cvilization, I admit, ancient Egyptians really amaze me. Their superb ancient technology, and their architechtures were great.

Also I want to see those princesses with those body paintings. I'm a bit curious about it. LOL.

I would love to go back between the years 1939 and 1945 becuase I would love talk to hitler and let off a little steam with him and I would like to get shot because I have always wondered what it feels like LOL
Twisted Evil
Blaster
amusic wrote:
I wanna go back to the first human on earth. See where they are come from.

Yea that would be interesting. But forget talking to them.... Confused I would like that too it would be interesting.
Shiva
I would go back to the middle age..

The whole thing with castles, horses, catapults, all of that.. That would be very trilling to expirience!!!
moonshadowinn
Europe, that sounds interesting. I would love to see how my hobby (chainmaille) started, and how the original smiths made it. And get a chance to shoot a true English Longbow. Smile
Vandalyzed
Amen to the posts on going back to the time of Jesus............ that'd be one stop I'd make.

I would want to go back to every instance that have become the foundation of human existance. The instances and eras that have become the cornerstones of our belief systems.

Jesus Christ, Evolution or Creation, etc, etc..

If anything, I would go back to the Medieval Era, smash my time machine, and have a good life.
moonshadowinn
Vandalyzed wrote:

If anything, I would go back to the Medieval Era, smash my time machine, and have a good life.

Amen to that!
Sappho
moonshadowinn wrote:
Vandalyzed wrote:

Amen to that!

I think you two watched too many Hollywood films. Smile) Why do you think its called Dark Ages? Wink
kingy2k6
There are two points in time that i would most like to travel back to.

The first would be 20th August 2005 to stop myself from proposing to my ex. Things would be much less complicated now if that didnt happen.

The second would be at the time of the Big Bang. I know this wouldnt be possible even if Time Travel did exist, but it would be intersting to see how the universe began.
Idoru
Actually, I want to see them all. Those times we read back on with romantic glasses. Wink
I think I'd start up in the dark ages, get a bit medieval, to travle on to the 18th centuries.
Still staying on different locations i Europe, to then let go of that legacy and see what
the Maya Indians was up to. A ride to Egypt and some comparations, and I doubt I'd
get it togeather again to be able to make my way home...

...better that I stay here, I suppose. It's actually not bad at all. Cool
jcvincent
I also wanted to go back during the World War II. I want to fight for my country and also for the freedom that every man wants to attain.

Fight for freedom! it is the only way to gain it!
haak_heu
Shiva wrote:
I would go back to the middle age..

The whole thing with castles, horses, catapults, all of that.. That would be very trilling to expirience!!!

you dont need to go back in time there are alot of coutries which are of third
country mostly where you will find castles and horses., lik go to ther rajistan in india or go to sindh in pakistan or go and see african and arabian countries.
you need little bit travelling and know about places nothing else
Alienz
If I got a chance to go back to dinosuars or Jesus Christ time that would be great Wink
Vandalyzed
Sappho wrote:
moonshadowinn wrote:
Vandalyzed wrote:

Amen to that!

I think you two watched too many Hollywood films. Smile) Why do you think its called Dark Ages? Wink

ROFLMAO!!

No, seriously it has nothing to do with watching too many films.........maybe reading too many books tho.........hmmm..........*thinks*........

I understand that it was the dark ages, but, the beliefs of that era are more in common with my personal nature than any other era or timeframe, including present day.

They say chilvary is dead...........it's not........it's just nobody in this age cares.

lol
PatTheGreat42
I'd hit it up to medieval Germany, view some battles. I do Historical German Longsword as a hobby, so getting some first-hand viewpoints would be uber-awesome.
scooter003
I would like to witness all of World War two, and when the Big Bang happened i think that would be amazing...

Also i would like to be able to relive certain moments in my life because some are really special!
scorpiosemotion
I'd go back before humans and dinosaurs just to see what the world looked like then how much the stars have changed over the years.. Very Happy
whatif
I'd probably want to go to Salem at the time of the witch trials and give Betty Parris and Abigail Williams a nice yelling.
And then come right back to the present.

I also like the story of the Tudors and other women of Engish and Scottish royalty of that time, so maybe I'd stop in and see what it was really like.

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_dynasty
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wives_of_Henry_VIII
Meggsy
I'd love to go back to Rome and the big Roman Empires. I wouldn't want to live during that time but to view it from afar. I'd love to see things like the Colosseum being build or full of roaring Romans.

Another thing I'd like to see is traditional Japan... before WWII. I've been in the last few years and the closest I came to traditional Japan was Takayama in the middle of Japan but even that is really a tourist thing.
HoboPelican
I think I'd go back China and travel with Lao Tze on his way to Qin and beyond. Of course, that's assuming the story about the founder of Taoism is true. That would be an interesting trip.
shwetanshu
Sappho wrote:

Quote:

i wud also like to accompany u Razz
godam64
i want to know about what happened to religions :
- original jesus bible
- muhammad the prophet & quran
Saryon
I'd probably go the Middle Ages, somewhere. I want to see how it looked like, with all the castles and knights and such.
And with my knowledge of today's world, I would conquer myself a kingdom. Next step would be to conquer the entire world, and find something to live forever, so that I could reign the earth forever!
Or might that be a bit too much?

Anyhow, I'd like to go to the Middle Ages anyhow. i'm quite the Fantasy type, I think that says enough Very Happy
jipmerite
Hmm...interesiting question.

There are several things I would like to see.

I'd like to see the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH)

I'd like to go a few weeks before September 11th and bust the truth to everyone that there are explosives planted in the building all set to blow the twin towers to the ground. That would certainly save a lot of lives (both american and non-american)

I would like to go to the past and get a true copy of the Bible so I can show to the people now what fiction they are reading.

Wanna see if dinasaurs were there during the time of adam and eve, cos according to the Bible, they should have been there...Laughing
lunatic07
if i can go back to a time i would go to september 11th when 9-11 happened and risk my life to help people inside the building alot of people didnt deserve that. Also i will go back to the time when there was a blackout a big one in the east for like 3 days that was cool.
_-WU-_-TANG-_
I would go back in time to when basketball was invented. That may sound stupid, but I have a few reasons behind it. I would help the guy who invent by suggesting modern day rules and inventions to help him out. With people playing the game of basketball at the level it was back then, imagine how advanced it would be today. Shocked
Karl
I would like to go to renaissance Italy and study a bit under Da Vinci
Or maybe in Los Alamos at the time of the Manhatten Project

Somewhere where science took a leap forward!

But I think we should distinguish between two scenarios.

The first is the minimal interaction where you are in a place to learn and observe (That actually how I read the topic)

The second is where you go somewhere to change history, your own mistakes (like proposal to ones ex?-girlfriend) or other peoples mistakes (like Hitler).
william
I'd probably go back to the big bang. I'd really like to know how the universe was formed and how the earth was formed. Also, I'd like to see what the first life forms were like, were they as we describe them now, or were they different.

The thing is, I can't trust what we know about how the universe formed and what life forms came first.

Oh and one more thing, I'd like to figure out how the moon was formed. Was it actually a part of the earth, or was it caught in the earth's gravitational pull?
r_y_e_20
Vandalyzed wrote:

I would want to go back to every instance that have become the foundation of human existance. The instances and eras that have become the cornerstones of our belief systems.

Jesus Christ, Evolution or Creation, etc, etc..

Yes vandalyzed you have a point, i rather want to witness in the time of Jesus. This will be my first priority. Secondly i want to witness the life of our national hero Jose Rizal. And how filipinos fought the revolution period during spanish and american period. Honesltly i rather want to live in the past because i can deeply feel the love of the people for their country. Honestly saying, im a nationalistic person and i love my country very much.
HoboPelican
william wrote:
I'd probably go back to the big bang. I'd really like to know how the universe was formed ......

I thought about that briefly, but where would you sit! Wink
justnewbie
Sappho wrote:

Quote:

? I heard nothing about radiation in Mohenjo-Daro. I learnt in my history that two factors the Mohenjo-Daro was gone are; the attack of the Aryan people and second, the river which floods once a year.

If I could go back in time, the best thing I wanted to see is how the dinosaurs died. Well, there are alot of theories how they died; cosmic radiation from nearby star, asteroid impact on Earth, great supervolcano blasted? but how did they die? all of them died at once??

and it will repeat again, which is probably how humanity will end, that wiped out dinosaurs
crimson_aria
What an interesting topic. I'd love to go back to the time of Jesus. I'd also go back to when Leonardo Da Vinci was living. I really admire him. I want to see personally how a man like him lived his life.

Now if only I can count Atlantis as a history, hehe, I surely would love to see and experience what happened to that civilization.
darrenpaul
Love to be around when WW1 started. Just to see the general feelings around the world
Vegetalzis
Hmmm, i would go back to an indian city where sex was worshipped (yes it does exist!), but i would like to see the creation of the universe too, BUT, most importantly, i would like to go back to jesus epoque, to talk to him, to make sure that the bible doesnt totally lies about him, ALSO, i would like to see that egipcian prophet that tears the Red Sea in two!
exploit91
so most attractive part of history for me would be the time when muhamed a.s. used to live
ftasyo
If I had a time machine, I'd go back to 2000 BC and visit Ugarith and the civilizations near it. On the way back to this century, I'll pass by the Tang Dynasty and the time of the Shoguns in Japan.
Davidgr1200
I'd like to see the end! To see how far we managed to get and why we couldn't get any further.
JoseRizal
i would like to witness and experience the following, in no particular order:
  • the building of the Great Pyramid of Cheops - 2560 B.C.
  • teaching of Buddha - around 483 B.C.
  • the building of the Great Wall of China[/] - 221 B.C.
  • Ceasar's [b]crossing of the Rubicon and the Ides of March - 49 B.C. and 44 B.C., respectively
  • the life of the great conqueror, Attila the Hun - around 451 A.D.
  • the events surrounding the Declaration of Independence - 1776 - 1777
  • the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth - 6 B.C. to 30 A.D.
eggg
I want to wander around my Pacific Northwest home before Europeans like me got here and logged it. Then again, I don't really want to be eaten by a bear...
RhysAndrews
1- When settlement of European Australia.
2- Shakespearian Times, in England (medieval times?), takinga look at some Castle-style battles, and walking the streets (apparently people just crapped on the road wherever they wanted, so maybe not)

-Rhys
romaop
One of the most intriguing historical myths is the atlantic civilization. How did this legend grow? What is true and what is not? I would like to discover what really happened. But for that I would need to be an expert in ancient history, which is not the case. Also that time machine that could mistakenly leave me in another place and time.
For those who believe in creatures from other planets, perhaps the Atlants were from outer space and could breed in the water. Or they could have derived from a fish. And Jules Verne talks about the possibilities above ground.
Soulfire
The dark ages of medieval europe. When monarchs reigned, and castles graced the skyline. The ages of the Roman Empire, the ages of a mighty Egypt. I want to see it ALL.
Lady_Star
jcvincent... for my first choice I would definately agree with you on the Ancient Egypt local... Smile ... My friends and family say that I am obsessed with Acient Egypt I have small versions of pyramids, statues of gods and goddesses, framed papyrus' and oodles of books on ancient egypt. I am currently teaching myself to read and write heiroglyphs too so I would defenately want to go back in time to be among the Egyptians.

My second choice would be the Dark Ages probably around the Transylvania area.
monzoncf
For me, if I had a chance to witness history, I'll be choosing the World Trade Center Attack. But not that in your expectations. I like it because I want to feel and witness the courage of other people helping other people. I think this is the most heart warming events as far as I know.