FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Transfering to a .com

henrygl
Hi all,

I am going to purchase a .com domain from WebServe.ca.

What are the steps to take to transfer my site to this new domain name. I want to keep hosting files here, I just want the domain name to be different. Do Nameservers have anything to do with this?

thanks
henry
jwellsy
Look at the very top sticky thread in this forum.

Do a search here on DNS.
manumiglani
henrygl wrote:
Hi all,

I am going to purchase a .com domain from WebServe.ca.

What are the steps to take to transfer my site to this new domain name. I want to keep hosting files here, I just want the domain name to be different. Do Nameservers have anything to do with this?

thanks
henry

It seems that they are offering free domain transfers....... Anyways, you can transfer your domain names and keep your hosting at frihost..... After your domain is transferred, Just change the dns to ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net by logging in at your domain control panel provided by webserve.ca .....
chrismen
I just signed up with 1and1 and am having a little bit of problems with this.
In their control panel I click on domains and then I click on the domain I want to put here on frihost.

This is what I get:
Quote:
Domain Data
Domain name mydomain.com
Status Ready
Document root /homepages/9/d173758962
Domain is Additional domain

Destination (EDIT)
Destination As a home directory : /.

The only thing I can click on is (EDIT) next to destination. So I do.
Then it asks me if I want the destination to be "Home directory" or "forward your domain"

I asume I want to forward my domain to here right. Then I need to put in this:

Quote:
Forwarding destination * Ex. http://www.1and1.com
Title *
Meta description
Meta keywords

What is the forwarding destination? Do I need to do anything to my account here before I do this? I read the tutorial about godaddy but that didn't answer my questions because I didn't see a way for me to change my nameserver anywhere. Thanks.[/quote]

EDIT: Sorry for the long post. I forwarded my domain to me.frih.net and created a new domain here on frihost, but the problem is that when I go to mydomain.com it shows me my subdomain page:
Code:
./domains/me.frih.net/public_html

instead of my domain page:
Code:
./domains/mydomain.com/public_html
manumiglani
You do not need to forward your domain name and it is also not recommended........ Here is how you can change the dns of the domains registered through 1and1.

1) Log in to 1& Control Panel at https://admin.1and1.com
2) Go to Administration area....
3) Click 'Domains' under 'Package Features'
4) Select your domain. Click the arrow next to 'DNS' and select 'Edit DNS Settings'
5) Enter the Primary and Secondary name servers which are ns1.frih.net and ns2/frih.net in this case. click ok.........
6) you are done.
chrismen
Thanks a bunch this was most helpful! I also thank you for your fast reply. I have a question though, just for me to know: What is the difference between forwarding a domain and changing the name server?
manumiglani
chrismen wrote:
Thanks a bunch this was most helpful! I also thank you for your fast reply. I have a question though, just for me to know: What is the difference between forwarding a domain and changing the name server?

Web Site Address Forwarding allows you to forward your domain name to an existing Web site. you can forward your domain to any url........ The address you are forwarding to will show up in the address bar of Web browsers. Forwarding means just to forward domain to any url........ Dns chnages are always considered better because of the inability of some search engines to identify domain forwarding..... Domain forwarding is used in cases when you want to use more than one domain for your site and can always forward second domain to the first one.......