FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

British Terror Plot Thwarted

Soulfire
Quote:
LONDON - British authorities said Thursday they thwarted a terrorist plot to simultaneously blow up 10 aircraft heading to the U.S. using explosives smuggled in hand luggage, averting what police described as “mass murder on an unimaginable scale.”

Potters hoped to stage a dry run within two days, according to U.S. intelligence officials. The actual attack would have followed within days.

The test run was designed to see whether the plotters would be able to smuggle the needed materials aboard the planes, these officials said. They spoke only on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject matter.

Police arrested 24 people, saying they were confident they captured the main suspects in what U.S. officials said was a plot in its final phases that had all the earmarks of an al-Qaida operation. However, ABC News quoted unidentified U.S. officials who had been briefed on the plot as saying five suspects were still at large and being urgently hunted.

President Bush called the plot a “stark reminder” of the continued threat to the United States from extremist Muslims.

Senior U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News that the plot was on British officials’ radar for about two weeks and that several of the people involved had been monitored for several months when this plot came into view.

Asked whether there were still a significant number of suspects involved in the plot still on the loose and could still carry out an attack, the official said, “They didn't get them all.”

Highest alert level

Britain disclosed no details about the plot or those arrested, although one police official indicated the people in custody were British residents. A French official in contact with British authorities described the arrested as originating from predominantly Muslim Pakistan.

Officials raised security to its highest level in Britain — suggesting a terrorist attack might be imminent — and banned carry-on luggage on all flights. Huge crowds backed up at security barriers at London’s Heathrow airport as officials searching for explosives barred nearly every form of liquid outside of baby formula.

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said the terrorists planned to use liquid explosives disguised as beverages and other common products and set them off with detonators disguised as electronic devices.

In June 1995, U.S. and Filipino authorities uncovered a plot very similar to the one revealed Thursday in the U.K.

In that plot, called the “Bojinka Plot,” bombs were to be placed aboard 11 jumbo jets and detonated by timing devices as the planes flew over the Pacific Ocean, killing an estimated 4,000 people.

Most of the jets were to be American carriers and most of the dead would have been Americans.

The bombs were small, using a Casio watch as a timer and contact lens bottles filled with nitroglycerine. They were to be secreted behind the wall panels in the plane's lavatory.

The bombs would have been timed to go off over a number of hours to heighten the terror.

The plan, also called the “Day of Hate,” was conceived by Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind of the first World Trade Center bombing, and his uncle, Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the mastermind of 9/11.

Only a fire in Yousef's Manila apartment thwarted it. Mohammed later modified the plan, took it to Osama bin Laden, and it became the blueprint for the 9/11 attacks.

Read more in the Daily Nightly Blog: "'Very good reason' to believe it's al-Qaida"

- Robert Windrem, NBC News Investigative Producer

An American law enforcement official who was briefed on the investigation said it appeared the liquid to be used was a “peroxide-based solution” to be detonated by an electronic device that was not specified, but could be anything from a disposable camera to a portable digital music player.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because British authorities had asked that no information be released.

Alerts raised worldwide
The extreme measures at a major international aviation hub sent ripples throughout the world.

Heathrow was closed to most flights from Europe, and British Airways canceled all its flights between the airport and points in Britain, Europe and Libya.

Numerous flights from U.S. cities to Britain were canceled.

Washington raised its threat alert to its highest level for commercial flights from Britain to the United States amid fears the plot had not been completely crushed.

The alert for all flights coming or going from the United States was also raised slightly.

Two U.S. counterterrorism officials said the terrorists had targeted United, American and Continental airlines. They spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case.

A U.S. intelligence official said the plotters had hoped to target flights to major airports in New York, Washington and California. A counterterrorism official said the plot involved 10 flights.

British authorities said 24 people were arrested in London, its suburbs and Birmingham following a lengthy investigation, including the alleged “main players” in the plot. Searches continued in a number of locations, and police cordoned off streets in several locations.

‘Stark reminder’
Bush said during a visit to Green Bay, Wis., that the foiled plot was a “stark reminder that this nation is at war with Islamic fascists.” Despite increased security since Sept. 11, he warned, “It is a mistake to believe there is no threat to the United States of America.”

ABC News quoted sources as saying Western intelligence agencies had identified three of the alleged ringleaders. It said two were believed to have traveled recently to Pakistan and later had money wired to them from Pakistan, purportedly to purchase airline tickets for suicide bombers.

Niall Carson / AP
A stranded passenger waits for information on her flight at Dublin airport on Thursday in Ireland. Airlines across Europe canceled flights bound for London's Heathrow Airport while some airports said they were ready to take on diverted traffic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While British officials declined to publicly identify the 24 suspects, French Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy said in Paris they “appear to be of Pakistani origin.”

He did not give a source for his description, but said French officials had been in close contact with British authorities.

Pakistan’s government said later its intelligence agents helped Britain crack the plot and had arrested some suspects.

“Pakistan played a very important role in uncovering and breaking this international terrorist network,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Tasnim Aslam said, but she declined to give details.

‘Homegrown’
The suspects arrested in Britain were “homegrown,” British citizens, Reuters reported. Police were working closely with the South Asian community, a Biritish police official said.

The suicide bombing assault on London subway trains and a bus on July 7, 2005, was carried out by Muslim extremists who grew up in Britain.

Source: MSN News (MSNBC)

Seems like it won't end - they're back at it. Too bad nobody wants to try to stop them. We would rather sit here and be complacent, and just wait, and when they (the terrorists) finally succeed in killing thousands more of our citizens, we will be set back by a population who cares for none other than themselves - and so long as they are alive, they could care less about their fellow Americans dying.
S3nd K3ys
I'm not sure what gave you the impression that they would stop.

From what I've seen since 1979, it has only been getting worse.

Perhaps this will indeed serve as a wake-up call to at least some of the "sleepy" Americans that there are in fact people outside their own zip code who want them dead.

Good thing we've got great leaders like Bush and Blair to protect us. Wink
dd202
When I was in uk as a student I have noticed a big cultural divide amogst the asians(indian, pakistani, bangladeshis). Although most of the asians I have been friends with were british born, they were still culturally attached to the sub-continent. There is nothing wrong with that. What bother me is the fact that I havent noticed much integration amongst the pakistani and british communities.
horseatingweeds
S3nd K3ys wrote:

Perhaps this will indeed serve as a wake-up call to at least some of the "sleepy" Americans that there are in fact people outside their own zip code who want them dead.

Doubtful, I think the average American required fire to actually be just under the azz and destruction raining down on their new SUV. “oh dear, I better run out and by gas incase the price goes up”.

I almost forgot…

Way to do British!!! Good work Mates!!!
manumiglani
All praises to the British police who thwarted this terrorist plot ........ I hope the criminals behind it should be catched and prosecuted with full justice..... But it won't be a piece of cake for the British authorities as the whole attack was planned from some other country.....
OutlawSpirit
hmm.. honestly... im not suprised...

and i think, that this planned attack.. because it was stopped, another will just be planned in its place... this attack, in other words... may have been stopped but it will succed... i think nothing is really being done 2 stop them
TurkishGamer
I think that there was no such plot created by any powers. The English countries and Israel want less talk of the terrors in the middle east. They knew that if the headlines kept this up, more people would protest against not calling ceasefire and of the horrors in the middle east so they decided to get attention of the people to another point.
horseatingweeds
TurkishGamer wrote:
I think that there was no such plot created by any powers. The English countries and Israel want less talk of the terrors in the middle east. They knew that if the headlines kept this up, more people would protest against not calling ceasefire and of the horrors in the middle east so they decided to get attention of the people to another point.

Laughing

Good one Turk!
TurkishGamer
horseatingweeds wrote:
TurkishGamer wrote:

Laughing

Good one Turk!

Its no joke.
Cnn was uncovering many details about the horrors in the middle east and this was going against Israel and U.S. Now there is nothing in the news about Israel and the bombings they recently had. Everything is about the so called "terror plot". You think that Al Queda would spend this much money finding the way to make this liquid bomb and they would be so dumb as to be caught without even using it.
horseatingweeds
Pull yourself together Turk.
IceNinjaa
this is what i woke up to. i woke up this moring turned on the tv and flipped by msnbc. read the caption underneath and was like here we go again. then later to hear how it was supposed to happen i couldnt believe it.

and to make matters worse the expert they had on was blatantly telling everyone watching that they too can make an explosive device as it is just "cookbook chemistry". i find this quite disturbing. the fact we are telling the delinquets out there how they can cause destruction with common household objects
Soulfire
It won't ever stop. We live in one hell of a screwed up world.
Da Rossa
Quote:
Too bad nobody wants to try to stop them

Think again before saying such a thing again.

Quote:
It won't ever stop. We live in one hell of a screwed up world.

Don't say that. Hope is the last to die. And don't think this is a utopical thought, many people belived that the Nazi Germany was unstoppable and would dominate the entire Europe. Then remember what happened.

I have reasons not to respect the British police. However I used to. I used to admire their way of working: no firearms, just non-lethal weapons and diplomacy, but since Jean Charles de Menezes was killed in THAT WAY, you gonna have to work much harder to get mine - many others' - respect.
Even more pathetic was that officer that gave an interview to a programme that aired here on GNT channel:

Interviewer: so, you have a shoot-to-kill policy.
Officer: No, we have a shoot-to-incapacitate policy.
I: but you held that young guy and shot 7 times on his head, isn't that a shoot-to-kill policy?
O: Like I said, this is not called a shoot-to-kill policy, it is a shoot-to-incapacitate policy.

What should I say?

And besides... I think this plot in the airplanes could be another scenario they set up along with the US government to carry on the plan to keep the population scared to justify military interventions according to their convenience.
siddharthlele
This is a rather ridiculous state of affair that the world finds itself in. It seems there is no place safe on this planet anymore. There seems to a method to this madness. A bunch of loosers are trying to potray their philosophy to the world at the cost of many, many innocent people. Question is, when will this thing stop?

Great job British Law Enforcers!!!!
S3nd K3ys
siddharthlele wrote:
This is a rather ridiculous state of affair that the world finds itself in. It seems there is no place safe on this planet anymore. There seems to a method to this madness. A bunch of loosers are trying to potray their philosophy to the world at the cost of many, many innocent people. Question is, when will this thing stop?

Great job British Law Enforcers!!!!

Agreed.

The ONLY solution is to DESTROY ALL TERRORISTS AND THEIR SUPPORTERS, just as they would destroy us.

Or, to bow to Allah in the name of (Radical) Islam.

No ef'n thanks. That whole over-exagerated radical religion makes me sick.
mephisto73
I'm flying tomorrow and was slightly worried by this story. I do like flying in normal cases but now I resent it totally. I guess I should catch the train instead since its an inter-european flight and not trans-continental, but tickes has been bought and paid for already..
S3nd K3ys
mephisto73 wrote:
I'm flying tomorrow and was slightly worried by this story. I do like flying in normal cases but now I resent it totally. I guess I should catch the train instead since its an inter-european flight and not trans-continental, but tickes has been bought and paid for already..

I know how you feel, but to be honest, now would be the safest time to fly. Security is heightened, and individuals have their eyes open. Good luck, and get drunk before you fly!
Soulfire
Da Rossa wrote:
And besides... I think this plot in the airplanes could be another scenario they set up along with the US government to carry on the plan to keep the population scared to justify military interventions according to their convenience.

Why would the UK and US governments be so keen to justify their military action in Iraq? There's no motive for the government to "scare" it's people, and besides, it's already been successful in scaring many a person. I can't really say though, because there's a chance you could be right - I'm just not one for these conspiracy theories.
Mixter
and live the way we want to live. Wars and terrorism will be around forever. Ain't nothin' gonna change.
S3nd K3ys
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20099061-601,00.html wrote:
"GO now!" The message came from Pakistan and it rattled the British intelligence agents who intercepted it.

The urgent direction was sent early this week to a group of young British Muslims who had been plotting one of the world's biggest-ever terrorist attacks.

Intelligence officials who had been monitoring the group thought they had plenty of time to keep watching them and gathering evidence before safely rounding them up early enough to stop them carrying out their scheme.

But the message from radicals in Pakistan saying "do the attacks now" changed everything, and when it was passed to higher authorities in London on Wednesday night, it sent a jolt through the top levels of the British Government.

Prime Minister Tony Blair had jetted off on Monday for a holiday at pop star Cliff Richard's mansion in Barbados, believing that the long-running investigation of the terror plot was some time away from a climax.

Amazing that "Wire Taps" between Pakistan and Britain caught these turds.
With the Libs doing everything in their Power to stop a Tap from a known Terrorist country to the U.S or a call from someone in the U.S. to a known Terrorist supporting country the Blood of our Citizens will be on the Libs Hands yet again.
Da Rossa
Soulfire wrote:

Why would the UK and US governments be so keen to justify their military action in Iraq? There's no motive for the government to "scare" it's people, and besides, it's already been successful in scaring many a person. I can't really say though, because there's a chance you could be right - I'm just not one for these conspiracy theories.

This is not about their presence in Iraq specificaly. This may be a step of the endless effort to carry on their plan to scare the world in a general context, as the existance of terrorist plots in progress is something they need to imprint their foreign policies over the world, not to justify any actions in particular.

I'm not saying that this IS the truth, who knows it? They do.
710ths
Bow the Bl..dy lot of them up is what I say
OneBadOmen
Now in the airports you can't have liquids or gels and you also can't have any electronics with you on the plane. Which sucks but if it's either you can't have water or there can be a bomb on the plane I guess the first choice is better.
Soulfire
Da Rossa wrote:
This is not about their presence in Iraq specificaly. This may be a step of the endless effort to carry on their plan to scare the world in a general context, as the existance of terrorist plots in progress is something they need to imprint their foreign policies over the world, not to justify any actions in particular.

I'm not saying that this IS the truth, who knows it? They do.

I suppose it can't be ruled out. I mean, to me, it seems a bit extreme and a heck of a lot of trouble to go through just to "imprint their foreign policies over the world." But heck, maybe that's what they want.

At any rate, precautions are being taken. Like was previously said, gels (such as toothpaste, shampoo, etc.) cannot be taken on your carry on, but they can be on your check-in bag that goes under the plane. Also there are no beverages on the plane (including water). I believe there are exceptions for people who require insulin or women with small children who need baby formula or something.

Some airports may ask the woman to drink the drink before taking it on the plane to be sure it is what she is claiming it is, which, for the mother would ... suck, to say the least. I mean, can you imagine drinking your own breastmilk? YUCK!

Also, the U.S. Homeland Security has upped the advisory to:

Code Red or Severe for flights originating in the United Kingdom bound for the United States

Code Orange or High for all commercial aviation operating in or destined for the United States.

The rest of the country remains at Code Yellow.

And, the advisory system pans out like this:

I don't believe we've been below a yellow since September 11, 2001. We may have dropped to a "Guarded", or "Code Blue" once or twice, but to my memory we've been at yellow, orange, and red since 9/11.
tadssa
OneBadOmen wrote:
Now in the airports you can't have liquids or gels and you also can't have any electronics with you on the plane. Which sucks but if it's either you can't have water or there can be a bomb on the plane I guess the first choice is better.

wow ! i realy can't picture myself travelling without my Laptop !!
but as you have said the first choice is much better!!
Da Rossa
And they are being sucessuful, the terrorists Sad
They managed to change drasticaly the american/british way of life. Those nations are spending extra billions dollars with security. Part of this money was destinated to.... we don't exactely know where, huh? But sounds like a justification for extra expenses. And... where else would the government spend this money?
askchris
My opinion.

I believe that we are now in very dangerous times, I live in England and my Grandad was in the second world war. I have done a lot of reading and watched a lot of documentaries and debated with my friends over the current situation with the Muslims in the UK and it is a situation that is very like Jewish situation in 1930's Germany as far as attitudes are becoming polorised. The Muslim societies in the UK have to wake up and realise that they are not helping the society we live in by digging their heels in and blaming the situation in the Middle East for causing extremism to happen in America and Britain, it is the Islamic societies leadership and own extremism that are causing these problems and the leaders are a bit like alchoholics who are in denial. I just hope it does not end in another Holocaust or worse.
Da Rossa
Askchris, unfortunately I totally disagree.
The extremism itself has a reason to exist. What is it??

Quote:
The Muslim societies in the UK have to wake up and realise that they are not helping the society we live in by digging their heels in and blaming the situation in the Middle East for causing extremism to happen in America and Britain...

Man, what would you like them to do?

The situation in the ME is not recent, is not from this or the past century, it's been carried on for MILLENNIA! This means, before the Islam was ever born.
So, who's the responsable for the ME?
S3nd K3ys
Da Rossa wrote:

The situation in the ME is not recent, is not from this or the past century, it's been carried on for MILLENNIA! This means, before the Islam was ever born.
So, who's the responsable for the ME?

BUSH is responsible! Laughing Sorry, j/k.

I do believe that the US is largely responsible for the 'current' affairs going on in the ME and the hatred for the US by many Muslim countries because the US is hell bent on spreading religious freedom, democracy and civil rights to the entire world.

It's odd that the US would convert the world to a religiously free, democratically elected civil society, where radical Islam would convert to world to an Islamic based society eliminating civil rights and the ability to choose your own leaders, yet the US is the bad guy.
horseatingweeds
Now S3, you don’t have to go sugar coating things……. Laughing
Soulfire
Just a little update I suppose, but according to MSNBC, the U.K. has lowered the terrorist threat.
diverden
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/14/bush/index.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush declared Lebanon a front in the "global war on terrorism" Monday, equating the Israeli battle against Lebanon's Hezbollah guerrillas to the U.S.-led wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Bush said Hezbollah and its supporters in Iran and Syria were responsible for the 34-day war, and called that conflict "part of a broader struggle between freedom and terror."

How do we make that quantum leap from bombing Lebanon to the war on terrorism, could it be politics as usual?

Why do we insist on forcing other countries to our way of life whether they want to or not, because we know better.

What is the difference between a terrorist, a resistance fighter, an insurgent, and a revolutionary? Maybe it is a matter of perspective, culture, and beliefs. We consider them terrorists but Hezbollah are considered as a social and political force by those who are in need. Somewhat of a social net that the government does not give to the most needy.

Did Israel really win? Maybe if you measure the damage to the infrastructure but maybe not if you count the number of people who became sympathizers to Hezbollah, those who joined or who will join when they grow up. No one would argue that Hezbollah is a group without their own vested interests but then again we could say the same about other countries, including the US and Israel.
S3nd K3ys
diverden wrote:

How do we make that quantum leap from bombing Lebanon to the war on terrorism, could it be politics as usual?

Why do we insist on forcing other countries to our way of life whether they want to or not, because we know better.

Perhaps you missed the last 6 years of hesbollah being armed by Iran? Wink

We're forcing countries to treat other countries AND all people with respect and dignity and giving them a chance to select their own governing body and a chance to be, um... free.

Quote:
Did Israel really win?

No. Here's why

Quote:
What is the difference between a terrorist, a resistance fighter, an insurgent, and a revolutionary?

Killing, targeting and hiding behind babies. hesbollah = terrorist. End of story.
Da Rossa
Be careful S3nd K3ys, sometimes it is just inappropriate to call them terrorists. They may be acting like terrorists, but they're a local armed group, that the US made big efforts to fit them in the "terrorist" description as they are against the Israeli interests.
S3nd K3ys
Da Rossa wrote:
Be careful S3nd K3ys, sometimes it is just inappropriate to call them terrorists. They may be acting like terrorists, but they're a local armed group, that the US made big efforts to fit them in the "terrorist" description as they are against the Israeli interests.

Um, no. It's not.

They put themselves in the 'terrorist' category by targeting and hiding behind women & children and, well, acting like terrorists.

Just becaue they do little things to 'help' the people with social services doesn't mean they're doing it for the benefit of the people. Chances are they're doing it because they know if they don't do something, the people will kick them out and they'll have no local support.

They're barbarians, murderers and cowards. They WILL be disarmed, one way or another. If the UN doesn't have the desire or ability, then Israel will return and finish the job with full US support.
Da Rossa
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

Um, no. It's not.

They put themselves in the 'terrorist' category by targeting and hiding behind women & children and, well, acting like terrorists.

Just becaue they do little things to 'help' the people with social services doesn't mean they're doing it for the benefit of the people. Chances are they're doing it because they know if they don't do something, the people will kick them out and they'll have no local support.

They're barbarians, murderers and cowards. They WILL be disarmed, one way or another. If the UN doesn't have the desire or ability, then Israel will return and finish the job with full US support.

Then you're saying Israel is right or Israel is "the good one"? After all, what they're doing is exactely facing the "terror" head-to-head.
S3nd K3ys
Da Rossa wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

Um, no. It's not.

Then you're saying Israel is right or Israel is "the good one"? After all, what they're doing is exactely facing the "terror" head-to-head.

I'm saying Israel is defending herself, warning citizens of pending attacks, and going out of her way not to harm citizens.

hesbollah was accepted and harbored by many of the towns destroyed by Israel. Harboring the enemy is sufficient reason, especially after warnings of an attack, to attack. Wink
fribee
Amazing, how many people are less informed!

Nobody mentioned that the young pakistani terrorists didn't even had
tickets, many of them not even passports to enter the planes!

You guys are just giving in to a "crazy world" we are living in, and not
recognizing, thats the governments and the related warmongers, that
make you subdued to this nonsense!

Did you read about the couple with the liquid bomb and the baby on board that flight to the US? And the pilot who turned around and landed
back in UK after discovering it? No? Maybe also you didn't read about
the months before the secret services tracked the "terrorists" before they decided to make a mess of all the passengers?

Go and read....and after this....think.!!

I hate arrogant people, specially when they come from US...and I am not Muslim, don't like em too....

I think in a few days there will be another "terrorist" attack, again staged.

They have to come up now with something scaring, after the war-criminals in the Pariah-State standing naked now!
Maybe tomorrow morning in Hawaii? They are faking a nuklear explosion there and the aftermath, maybe its true this time?
Deadline was this evening anyway.

Fribee