FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much is it to get the right server?

postmysite.com
Hi, I want to have a those servers that you keep in a room and it does connections for officeses with like phone or etc, but where can I find one made for a house and is small and can be used for to host a game server and also cheap.
TomS
Take an old PC and install the serversoftware.
postmysite.com
which server software would be good?
Helios
Depends on what server you want...
Gaming server, mail server, web server, file server, database server.. and so forth.
postmysite.com
I want a gaming server, but does that computer have to be powerful then the computer that I am playing the game on like the video card and more ram and hardrive on the computer I am hosting game on?
TomS
If the gameserver is built-in in the game (like in most langames, which can be played if anyone of the group creates a server) your pc must fulfill the requirements of the game (like good RAM and graficpower).

If not, it only needs a very fast connection. At least as good as the best connection of the clients or even better. (good cpu and ram is always good for a server)
Helios
I guess you want to have a dedicated server, right?

You will need at least 2GB RAM whether it's for a MMORPG or FPS server. Most server use a lot of memory.
Hmm, a good server CPU, like Intel Xeon.
Most important, you'll need fast connection with fast upload. Best is something like a T3 (t-carrier) connection.

This will cost ya' some big money, so it's better to hire a remote server.
{name here}
If you want to take it one step more you should get an OC3(Fiber Optic Cable) connection, the fastest connection you can get on earth. The problem is you must live within 500 miles from the ISP or you will not be able to use your connection.
Saber
oc3 is not the fastest you can get, thats only 155.52 Mbps.
most places will offer up to oc48, 2.488 Gbps. But there are some that offer more.
Helios
The fastest is OC-3072 going beyond 1Tbit per second upload and download.
(1.28 Terra bit per second, to be exact).

Well, one OC-768 line card, for example, might cost you more than 2 million dollars Razz
Good luck.
postmysite.com
UUUUHHHH..... Mayabe I will stick with hosting a site on an old computer that just has data files for the site and internet connection on it. What do I need to do to get that done?
Donutey
postmysite.com wrote:
UUUUHHHH..... Mayabe I will stick with hosting a site on an old computer that just has data files for the site and internet connection on it. What do I need to do to get that done?

Using a barebones linux server or *bsd install a Pentium CPU, 64MB of RAM, an NIC card, any graphics card, and a HDD of sufficient size.

For most websites RAM, network speed, and hard drive size and speed are more important than the CPU.

Hope that helps.
izcool
I have a Compaq ProLiant 800 machine as my server (I think that's what it was originally intended to be when it was made, as it has loud fans in it lol). It's a Dual-Pentium 3 machine with Windows 2000 on it and I use a lot of ArGoSoft's programs on it for my needs. FTP server, Mail server, News server, Time server, amongst other programs that they offer. If you plan on using Windows, I recommend them.

I never really got the grasp of Linux to ever really use it for my own needs. If I'm shopping around online for a server to host my websites on, I prefer Linux, because it has better uptime. Wink For my needs of using my server at my house, it's perfectly fine. I don't need to jump ship and change OS'es because someone recommends me to.

- Mike.
Daniel15
Quote:
I want a gaming server, but does that computer have to be powerful then the computer that I am playing the game on like the video card and more ram and hardrive on the computer I am hosting game on?

Nope. The game doesn't actually run on the server, only the server component does. Usually, servers don't have good graphics cards (it's mostly onboard SiS or Intel chips in servers).

My testing server is a Pentium III 650MHz with 256MB of memory. I've installed Apache 2, MySQL, and a few other things (including Linux-VServer for OS-level virtualisation Very Happy)

Quote:
I never really got the grasp of Linux to ever really use it for my own needs

Compared to Windows, Linux is so much easier to use for servers.

As an example, I use Debian. To install Apache 2, you only need to run:
Code:
apt-get install apache2

This will download Apache 2, all dependencies, and install everything for you.

Anyways, if you want to host your server in a data centre, then usually a 10Mb/s connection is alright (FriHost itself is on a 10Mb/s connection). I personally host my testing server over a 1536/256 ADSL connection Razz