FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Drink more water





Blaster
Quote:
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.


2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so
weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.


3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's
metabolism as much as 3%.


4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger
pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a
University of Washington study.


5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.


6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses
of water a day could significantly ease back and
joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.


7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy
short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and
difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a
printed page.



8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the
risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the
risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less
likely to develop bladder cancer.


I got this off of someone on another forum that i will not post for certain reasons. I think it is interesting. Its amazing what water can do for you. And i do think it is a science. I wounder who thinks this stuff up.
PseudoKnight
Dehydration is the number one cause of headaches as well.
haak_heu
Father of medicane hipocrate said same drink more water it prevent diseases

Hey but it is for american and developed countries but what you say about
under developed countries who get infected by drinking water , they drink more and will be infected more , because they dont have access to safe water.
More water , more germs and chemicals , so infection dose is decreased our
body systems which normally prevant disease are failed and the get infected
and get sick.
mavahntooth
why is it that gatorade is better than water? lol... just a silly question Very Happy
desertwind
Drinking atleast 8 glasses of water per day will ensure your health. If you can drink 4 glass of water at morning in empty stomach, you can reduce over weight.
Rymdpingvin
Drinking too much water without anything in it would of course desalt you which isn't a good thing either!
S3nd K3ys
desertwind wrote:
Drinking atleast 8 glasses of water per day will ensure your health. If you can drink 4 glass of water at morning in empty stomach, you can reduce over weight.


According to the BBC, in certain circumstances, too much water is bad for you. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4927936.stm

I've heard other reports saying that too much water can actually cause other very serious health risks, in cluding disease. No links yet.
william
What S3nd K3ys said is true. I once heard about this person who was working outside and had far too much water. He didn't survive. I don't have a link for that or anything else relating to too much water. So many people don't get enough water, when they do require it. Sometimes when a person is dehydrated, they don't feel it and end up eating. It's incredible what water can do.
jwellsy
Way too much water is called water intoxication.
Athletes sometimes get into severe medical problems and can die
from too much water that dilutes thier electrolytes to a dangerous level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
tester9
well you need not drink (destilled Laughing ) water only. isotonic drinks or beer gives you water AND electrolyts.

but in hot weather better beer without alcohol Smile
OutlawSpirit
i drink about...

on a good day - 8 pints of water

on a not so good day - 3 or 4 pints of water
Assiez
very true, I don't drink close to enough water. Lately I've gotten more conginant of this problem so I've been making an effort to drink more. Last week I had a headache that wouldn't go away, I though about all the things that could cause it, finally it dawned on me that I really needed water, thus I had a couple cups and the headache was gone. That was the final straw in convincing me to get more water.
Anticollie
Well, if I had say... a camelback or sometihng that I could take with me everywhere (water bottles are too big and bulky, and if I ever set them down, they're gone for good) then I know I would drink that much water a day, mainly, because if i'm just lounging at home, I always have a glass of some liquid about.

However, I also can do a couple days without drinking anything, and not notice... wierd, eh? Anyway, after looking at that list of helpful facts... I think I'm going to rush out and grab me a camelback!

Anticollie.
Tvis
I started to drink 1.5 to 2 litres a day in order to lose weight. I run, but my weight was too much to carry with me all the time, so I started to look around how to lose weight without really taking a diet. And the result is, water...next to that I counted my calories and together with sports I am losing 5 kilos now in 5 weeks. Without quiting eating.

My problem however was that I needed to go to the bathroom so much...So I started looking again. And I found the perfect solution. I have this glass which takes up to 300 ml of water. Every time after I go to the bathroom I fill the glass completey and drink it immediately. This way I don't go that much to the bathroom. And it seems more controlled. Also I get used to it, so I always know I take enough water in the day...
redace
I think dehydration is a big problem. When a wave of very hot water strikes, many people colapses and they don't know what is happening. It is quite hard to gety into yourself 3 litres of water a day and in hot water it is even more. Thre only solution is to have some table and write there every bottle of water you drink out.
Soulfire
In addition to water, make sure you are replenishing things such as sodium if working hard or active (basically sweating profusely). My father was recently hospitalized with heat exhaustion - he drank 3 liters (or more) of water, but had no other vitamins or minerals neccessary to operate (such as sodium). He passed out, and now drinks a lot of water, but supplements it with the occaisonal gatorade or something similar.
Blaster
yea i heard about that on the news S3nd K3ys i dont' know what it is about exactly. But i believe ie thins out your blood or something. But you still should drink more water. It is better then soda and iced tea. Thats the things you have to look at also.
Vanquish
Soulfire, when you said your dad had passed out I was about to reply and say sorry about that, but then I read on. Phew!
I'm going to start drinking more water, but I know tap water isn't good for you, but filtered water doesn't taste to nice, and bottled water is quite expensive if you try to drink alot of it. Any suggestions?

Neal
GProject
I really think that drinking plenty of water helps you stay healthier, as I've very rarely been ill since I started drinking it all the time. I don't usually believe in stuff like this, but it really seems to help. I always keep a bottle on my desk at work, and then I'll drink water with meals & in the evening sometimes too. I water-crazy!
Soulfire
The saying I was told today:

"Drink, drink, drink until you feel like you're going to throw up. Then drink another glass"

Of course, it's referring to water. There's a few problems that people seem to have today with water:

1) We just don't drink enough.
2) We mistake our thirst for hunger, when it's not.
3) By the time you're thristy, you're already dehydrated.

Just make sure you're peeing clear or close to it, then you're set!
mantasx
Quote:
Dehydration is the number one cause of headaches as well.
PseudoKnight, there are 99 more reasons of getting a headache, I read this book (didn't read it all, but you could get a headache from watching too much TV). So I don't think Dehydration is number #1 reason that causes headaches. I think is being tired. Lol.

Quote:
why is it that gatorade is better than water? lol... just a silly question
It tastes better Laughing
bulek
I drink as much water as I can, especially at summer time because everyone says that it's not healthy if you don't drink enough water. But I also heard that it's not good if you exaggerate that.
CanadianGeek
mavahntooth wrote:
why is it that gatorade is better than water? lol... just a silly question :D


Although you posted a while ago, gatorade is usually better than water because gatorade also contains electrolytes, something your body depends on.

tester9 wrote:
well you need not drink (destilled :lol: ) water only. isotonic drinks or beer gives you water AND electrolyts.

but in hot weather better beer without alcohol :)


Just as a bit of info, it's always better to have beer without alcohol in it because alcohol itself will cause dehydration. The hangover associated with drunkenness is thought to be caused in part by dehydration.
S3nd K3ys
CanadianGeek wrote:

Just as a bit of info, it's always better to have beer without alcohol in it because alcohol itself will cause dehydration. The hangover associated with drunkenness is thought to be caused in part by dehydration.


That's true (as far as I'm concerned). When I drink, if I drink water in between, I don't get hang overs. If I don't, and drink Pedialight in the morning, I feel better. Hydration is key when drinking.
CanadianGeek
S3nd K3ys wrote:


That's true (as far as I'm concerned). When I drink, if I drink water in between, I don't get hang overs. If I don't, and drink Pedialight in the morning, I feel better. Hydration is key when drinking.


Hmm, interesting. It does vary from person to person though. I never get hang overs, and I've mixed drinks, had carbonated drinks (thought to contribute to them) and also had way too much (a quart of rum one night) and still never had the headache. It's interesting to note though that the other more severe side effects of alcohol intoxication can also be attributed to dehydration, such as nausea, vomiting, ect...
S3nd K3ys
CanadianGeek wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:


That's true (as far as I'm concerned). When I drink, if I drink water in between, I don't get hang overs. If I don't, and drink Pedialight in the morning, I feel better. Hydration is key when drinking.


Hmm, interesting. It does vary from person to person though. I never get hang overs, and I've mixed drinks, had carbonated drinks (thought to contribute to them) and also had way too much (a quart of rum one night) and still never had the headache. It's interesting to note though that the other more severe side effects of alcohol intoxication can also be attributed to dehydration, such as nausea, vomiting, ect...


You're right, hangover's are not just about the headache. In fact, I feel like shit in other ways (like you described) more often than I get headaches.
Mithrandir
Yeah, I gace up caffine earlier this year and since I've been drinking tons of water. I can tell a big difference in the way I feel since I've made this change.
Moey
If those facts are true, then I better be drinking more water! My friend went to the hospital because he was dehydrated, it can get pretty severe
Billwaa
I think this is why my parent always tell me to drink 8 cups of water each days. now I understand.
Terrasis-Cian
I am sure that the recomended daily amount is 6-8 glasses or 2 litres(ish). It is extremely important to drink up your water. Any professional sportsman will tell you that he drinks his water!!!!!
whiteknight
all i know is your supposed to drink at least 6 glassess if water daily but ppl only drink about 2-3 glassess a day
mabuhay
OK OK... Ill go get some friggen water. Lets talk about bread. Did you know that you need wheat? I suggest wheat bread.
Jurado
No don't drink water.

Save water drink beer.
the1991
Laughing I always try to drink a lot of water. It's hard to drink enough though lol. And I'm in physics so I need all the math skills i can get!
jon9314
S3nd K3ys wrote:
desertwind wrote:
Drinking atleast 8 glasses of water per day will ensure your health. If you can drink 4 glass of water at morning in empty stomach, you can reduce over weight.


According to the BBC, in certain circumstances, too much water is bad for you. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4927936.stm

I've heard other reports saying that too much water can actually cause other very serious health risks, in cluding disease. No links yet.

you have to drink LOTS of water for it to be negitive(i think it was like tens of gallons or somting outragous. so much that it probably shuld not have been reported in the news because people cut their water consumption and became more dehydrated.) the latest formula for figuring out how much water to dring dayly is body weight devided in half. dring that many ounces i.e. body weight =240 240/2=120 drink 120 ounces or 15 cups. you should increase your water consumption slowly of you will be in the bathroom all day.
HellsCowbells
Every day i drink around 4 to 5 L of water at job + some more in the morning and by the end of the day. But i heard that drinking only water is not good. You need to add some electrolyte to it (like salt or sugar or any ions). Since then i put a little of juice powder in my water, not too much since they are far too much sweetened, and it give me much more energy in a day.

Drink alot, but drink smart
R2.DETARD
I won't drink any water in the day, but when i get home, i will neck 3-4L from 5-11 PM.
I think this habit stems from the fact that there is never enough food in my house and to keep the hunger pains away i drink heaps of water.

Three other positive effects of water:

1: In most 1st world countries flourine is added to the water supply.
Flourine helps maintain good dental heath.
Studies have shown that when people in a country drink mostly bottled water instead of tap the number of dental claims on the heathcare system increace noticably.

2: When you drink lots of water your bladder has to expand in order to hold/process it all. On a long trip this comes in handy.
Now i only have to pee once a day.

3: The kidneys can do a better job filtering out toxins.
If there is more water to carry toxins, the kidneys will have better success in removing them. the kidneys also have to be more active, so the risk of stones and disease decreaces.

A tip my friend tried: When you want to quit smoking, every time you feel like a ciggy, have a glass of water, it calms you and makes you feel more relaxed.

I love drinking water. I don't know why, but I do.
ptolomeo
Watch out !! if you say Oh I drink a lot of water... you could have diabetes. It is one of the most marked syntoms of the desease. So if you are dinking to much water (and going too much to the toillet) consider going to the doctor.
creezalird
I can't even manage to go out to town or somewhere else without bringing a bottle of water..It really helps me a lots..because since I started to drink more water in a day life..I seem to be addicted to this and will become easily thirsty in just a few hours..
smarter
instead of drinking too much water (over 2l a day) consider eating juicy fruits and vegetables or drinking home-made fruit juices.

Drink also tea, milk, etc

water is good but don't go to extremes! Very Happy
scrub
I remember seeing something about how a lot of the water you need you can get from foods. Like "smarter" said, lots of juicy fruits and vegetables (which are good for you anyway!) will give you a lot of water. That said, this thread made me realize I was thirsty and got me to drink some water just now!

Also, read up on fluoride in water before believing that it's all good with no downsides. There's some controversy and information suggesting that it has negative health consequences, even in small doses.

Yay water!
darvit
That whole thing was featured on Snopes.com Cool

According to Snopes:
Snopes wrote:

Claim: The average person needs to drink eight glasses of water per day to avoid being "chronically dehydrated."


Status: False.


They have the whole thing quoted, with their myth-debunking explanations at the bottom. Read their full article here: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

I personally believe that drinking a lot of water has many benefits. It cleanses your system, and water just feels good. It prevents kidney shutdowns [due to excess sodium and protein leaks], too. Another good kidney- and diabetic-friendly drink is Cranberry juice.
scrub
Hi darvit,

Thanks for posting the snopes link. That's a great resource for verifying these kinds of things! I think that might have been where I read a while back that much of your water needs are met through food...

Scrub
mjohnson
Water is exactly very important to us,but when I am very busy on working I have not enough time to drink so much water(5 glasses)
greatfire
i need to drink more water. felling like a pile of **** right now. I been camping all weekend and out in the sun. Very dehudrated. I normally drink 10-12 glasses of pure water a day. then all the extra water containing stuff like juice,coke,tea etc etc.
Gagnar The Unruly
I started to drink more water, and I think it contributed a lot to my feeling of general health. I think my metabolism is higher and I get fewer headaches. I think a good rule of thumb is to just try to drink enough to keep your pee clear.

Gatorade is good because it contains electrolytes, so you can drink it without changing your electrolyte balance (important for athletes). Sudden changes in balance can lead to cramping and a dangerous low-sodium condition (the water poisoning everyone is talking about). Actually, gatorade is 2x too strong, so many athletes dilute it 1:1 in water.

As for hangovers, dehydration is one factor. Other factors include:

Escape of acetaldehyde from the liver (the product of alcohol dehyrodgenation, which even more toxic than ethanol, but which is eventually converted to acetic acid).

Accumulation of metabolic byproducts in the liver which lead to hypoglycemia.

Damage to the stomach lining.

Alcohol-induced B12 deficiency.

Presence of unwanted fermentation byproducts such as methanol (which converts to formaldehyde in the liver!)

Nervous withdrawl effects.

So, drink lots of water, but if you're getting hangovers you might want to consider taking it easy on the beer Wink
zellar
I read an article a few months ago that agreed that drinking water was important but not nearly important as the general population is led to believe. It has always been hammered into my head to drink water but I've never seen any science-tested reports to support this. Has anyone else?
secondeye
yeah We have to drink atleast 8 to 10 glass Of water Every day cause its Reduces Headach , Certain harmful diseases and We cant Imagine that How water Secure our Body, It Gives the freshness to our Face eye, If Some One Want To look Beautiful so he she Must drink water atleast 8 time a day. As we know that Every function inside the body is regulated by and depends on water. Water must be available to carry vital elements, oxygen, hormones, and chemical messengers to all parts of the body. Without sufficient water to wet all parts equally, some more remote parts of the body will not receive the vital elements that water supplies.

there are at least 50 reasons why the body needs sufficient water on a regular, everyday basis. Without sufficient water to constantly wet all parts, your body's drought-management system kicks into action.
ThePolemistis
well im off too drink some water Razz
creezalird
just drink as much as you can
arkebuzer
That´s quite interesting Blaster, however I would love to see your source of the information.
As stated allready in this thread there are other studies that show the opposite, that you can easy "overdose" water, with serious consecuenses. If you got those statements from a reliable scientific source, then that would be really interesting though. So please share your source, thanks Smile

Best regards
eljormaz
actually, my girfriend who is an acupuncturist, has told me to drink water... much water... this is absolutely paramount... in my case, I need to evacuate some heat, from the TRaditional Chinese point of view, inner heat. This is really interesting, I strongly recommend all of you to have a look at it...
SyncM
Is really hard to drink enuff wather. But one way to check is to look at the pee dark yellow and a lot smell drink lot of wather. Clear nice pee without smell good.
hilander
I did not read nothing to understand what I am about to tell you. I have come tu understand that our veins and vessels are like water pipes, if the water is dirty then the water pipes will get clogged and soon or late will explode...but if more water is put in the water pipes then the pipes could get cleaner day after day..Is like having a more waterized blood and a less waterized blood..blood with more water will be better for your internal organs,,because it could clean them..well is just a simple comparison, I could be wrong...
xanarulz
gah know I feel like I am a dehydrated XD

I don't really drink 'water' I just drink stuff that has water in it like juice and tea (mostly tea)
ptolomeo
I drink mostly mate, that is an infusion similar to a tea but you have to drink it with a little pipe with a filter attached to one end. It is corious how some subject attract a lot of comments, I think that we should make a serious study on that. How can a statement like "drink more water" atract so many people?
kcwilli
I keep a nalgene bottle with water at my desk, but still can't manage to get in 8 glasses a day.

I also heard (and found an article here ) that when you are doing serious exercise you can actually drink too much water and dilute your blood. So make sure you drink gatorade or the equivalent as well. I think someone had already mentioned it above, but its really important!
HoboPelican
There is a lot of hearsay in this topic. I tend to prefer real research instead of believing old wife tales.
Try this study from the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. If you have a better source of info, please share.

Quote:
The Food and Nutrition Board released the sixth in a series of reports presenting dietary reference values for the intake of nutrients by Americans and Canadians. This new report establishes nutrient recommendations on water, salt and potassium to maintain health and reduce chronic disease risk. Highlights of the report include:

* The vast majority of healthy people adequately meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide. The report did not specify exact requirements for water, but set general recommendations for women at approximately 2.7 liters (91 ounces) of total water -- from all beverages and foods -- each day, and men an average of approximately 3.7 liters (125 ounces daily) of total water. The panel did not set an upper level for water.
* About 80 percent of people's total water intake comes from drinking water and beverages -- including caffeinated beverages -- and the other 20 percent is derived from food.
* Prolonged physical activity and heat exposure will increase water losses and therefore may raise daily fluid needs, although it is important to note that excessive amounts can be life-threatening.

http://www.iom.edu/?id=24805
EanofAthenasPrime
gotta start drinkin some water!

seriously thats probably why my IQ is only 141
michealrover
Many people in third world countries don’t have access to a clean water supply. We in developed countries have currently almost unlimited access to clean water. My suggestion to you is to use it!

Regards
http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/drink-more-water-for-more-energy/
guissmo
Rymdpingvin wrote:
Drinking too much water without anything in it would of course desalt you which isn't a good thing either!


Oh my. I drink too much water. But I think I take in more salt than the average person as well.
So, hooray for equilibrium?
Unknowntoaster
o_o The only water I ever drink is a rare drink of water from a drinking fountain and sometimes I fill a 7x4.5 cup of water and chug it... o_o
snowynight
[quote="Blaster"]
Quote:

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the
risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the
risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less
likely to develop bladder cancer.


compared to what? 4 glasses? 0 glass?
I do think it true that drinking 8 glasses of water daily is good for one's health. But too much water can be harmful.
ptpmonitor
I have idea about the benefit of drinking water before but I never knew that drinking more than 8 glasses water daily can help us that much. I usually drink 10 glasses water daily but it decreased to 4-5 glasses daily in winter. From now I will try to drink at least 8 glasses water daily in any season.
mshafiq
Benefit of drinking water to prevent Heart disease and stroke: hydration is essential to help prevent
clogging of arteries an the heart and brain.
water is also help full to prevent and treat Hypertension
slashnburn99
Not just Americans, im from the UK

us brits only drink water when it is really hot.

bad news is its never really hot, so we are dehydrated all the time
mshafiq
However I suspect when we eat or drink more than the capacity that gives stretching effect it may cause belly enlargement.
Related topics
How much and How often you Drink ?
Can you dream your life without a computer ?
Effective Hangover prevention
What's your favorite drink?
Support Danish
sms jokes
sms jokes
Pepsi Awareness
Coca-Cola vs. Pepsi
post drinking smokers throat
Buy a tie and drink water
Drinking enough water?
How much water?
Benefits of Drinking Water
How much water do you drink a day?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Science -> General Science

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.