FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

optical/hdd drive interfaces

technology.sponge
i have several questions about the interfaces used by hdd's and optical drives:

1)what's the difference between IDE/ATAPI/UDMA33/66/100?
2)sata has 2 versions - 1 and 2 each transferring up to 150mbytes and 300mbytes a sec. is sata 3.0GB/s the same as sata 2?
3)with ide/atapi or whatever (the multipinned connector on hdds and optical drives), is it true there are 40/80 pin versions available? if so, r the connectors pohysically the same as with the cables?
tester9
technology.sponge wrote:
i have several questions about the interfaces used by hdd's and optical drives:

1)what's the difference between IDE/ATAPI/UDMA33/66/100?
2)sata has 2 versions - 1 and 2 each transferring up to 150mbytes and 300mbytes a sec. is sata 3.0GB/s the same as sata 2?
3)with ide/atapi or whatever (the multipinned connector on hdds and optical drives), is it true there are 40/80 pin versions available? if so, r the connectors pohysically the same as with the cables?

1)
ide, atapi, udma is nearly the same acronym for the same stuff: the connection between optical and electronical drives with the motherboard.
udma 33, 66, 100, 133 defines the speed of the ide bus.
but careful: for example: you have 2 harddisks in your computer. one of them has udma 66 the other one udma 100. then you will get the lower speed only (udma 66).
optical drives, like burner, have no description of speed.

2) i don't know BUT:
Quote:
300mbytes a sec. is sata 3.0GB/s the same as sata 2?

this is NOT the same because 300mb/s <> 3000mb/s Wink

3) i had to search after i found something useful. the connectors are similar but there is one difference: the number of conductors. the 80 pin cables have a higher transmission rate than 40 pin cables.
because of that you should use the 80 pin cables (they are sometimes yellow with a finer ribbon) preferred for harddisks. i don't know if you have better performance with these 80 pin cables at optical drives. but normally they are not so heavily used like hard disks.

sorry for my bad english but i hope it is understandible Wink

perhaps you look at wikipedia for more detailed information.
Donutey
tester9 covered it pretty well but here are some finer points

For any and all hard drives and optical drives on the market today SATAI vs SATA II is a mute point. No hard drives or optical drives can transfer data at those speeds (except in very short bursts).

An 80 conductor, 40 pin cable looks different than a 40 conductor cable, the individual wires are smaller, and it will usually have 80 conductor labled on it.

Optical drives DO have specificed ATA/IDE speeds, usually ATA/33 or ATA/66. This is slower than most IDE hard drives (ATA/100 or ATA/133), and as tester9 said when you put two devices on the same channel (cable) it only transfers data at the speed of the slowest device. This is why you Don't put optical drives and hard drives together on the same IDE channel.

Hope that helps.