FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Want to start making games?

Tepelstreeltje
Many people want to write games, but don't ever finish a single title because they get stuck in a catch-22. You can't make a game without an engine, and it's really difficult to make an engine if you're not familiar with the process of making games. So they start trying to make a game, get discouraged after months of little progress, and give up.

I believe that if possible you should try your hand at designing games before delving into the technical depths of programming. Fortunately there's a tool which helps beginners create games quickly without having to know any programming at all (but if you do know some programming, you can still use it to your advantage).

I gather that several guys at this forum already know what I'm talking about.

It's called Game Maker. You can get a copy from http://gamemaker.nl/ and try it out for yourself.
ashen
Thanks for the link, but can I create a RPG game with this program?
Monkeydog
Yeah you can but RM2K,RM2K3,RMXP,or RPG Toolkit would be easier to use.I use RM2K and RM2K3 my self.I've never been to found of Gamemaker because it is a little harder to use.
If u wanna try RM2K,2K3,or XP go here: http://home.phanxgames.com/pxg/
plus u might want something then the regular cheap default gfx so try here: www.gamingw.net (btw they have stuff on gamemaker here too)
Kelcey
I really don't suggest using those "game makers." Sure you'll be able to create something neat quickly, but if you're serious, learn C++. As far as programming 2D games go, you can use the Allegro API which is VERY easy and has good tutorials. The address is www.allegro.cc. If you want to program 3D games, you should probably go with OpenGL because its API won't confuse you as easily as DirectX does. Furthermore, just knowing how to display graphics with OGL won't get you far at all. You should understand how openGL does what it does. For example, how are you going to detect collisions between a character and a house with OGL? Using the math behind openGL helps you solve some of these difficult problems.

I've made a small 3D fighting game in 2 weeks. It took many hours (it was for class). People often overlook some of the small things. For example, how are you going to implement a side step? The characters have to be "locked" on to one another. Their movements have to be in the direction of the other as well. They won't always move just right or left. They'll move diagnol. So yeah, game programming is difficult and I REALLY do suggest programming one. You'll get so much out of it.
Monkeydog
yes i've been wanting to learn C++ for so long and stop useing my RPG Maker,although it can be powerful,ecpecially RMXP,and most of the time u don't have to worry abou GFX like if i did progamr it from scratch.
Monkeydog
yes i've been wanting to learn C++ for so long and stop useing my RPG Maker,although it can be powerful,ecpecially RMXP,and most of the time u don't have to worry abou GFX like if i did progamr it from scratch.
Kelcey
Yeah, you gotta make the graphics yourself. I find it VERY hard to make 2D sprites... moreso than generic 3d models (with a modeling program). You should invest some time to learn C++. You should probably start with C though since C is a subset of C++ so you can dive right into C++ after a decent understanding of C.
maoryco
i love making game! i using Visual Basic...
any1 else using it?
PonchoRockero
Rpg Maker has his spanish version too, for all the spanish peolpe.

www.rpgmaker.net is the web for the download Cool

Cyaz
KungFuChris
Kelcey wrote:
Yeah, you gotta make the graphics yourself.

To be honest I think this is where most budding game programmers/designers first fall down.

It's no longer the norm for people in the game producing field to be wizards at everything and yet still the 'bedroom programmer' (freelancer/shareware creater/public domain maker (does this still exist?) still feels that it should all be done by one person.

Get your friends involved, grab the comunity!

As a person, you may be able to code the next 3(4?!?)d pong clone, but not have a clue how to include those flashy animated graphics into your own design.

Swallow your pride and talk to an aritist. You may be surprised how everything looks better and more polished than the old block polygons or standard textures you were using before.

I know they all say it's how it plays rather than how it looks, but like any product, you have to grab the attention first, and if it looks like "Frogger" turned upside down, no one (bar the happy hardcore oldies) are going to give it a second look, and you're ideas and coding are going to waste.

It's an unfortunate fact nowadays Sad
Kelcey
[quote="KungFuChris"][quote="Kelcey"]Yeah, you gotta make the graphics yourself.[/quote]

To be honest I think this is where most budding game programmers/designers first fall down.

It's no longer the norm for people in the game producing field to be wizards at everything and yet still the 'bedroom programmer' (freelancer/shareware creater/public domain maker (does this still exist?) still feels that it should all be done by one person.

Get your friends involved, grab the comunity!

As a person, you may be able to code the next 3(4?!?)d pong clone, but not have a clue how to include those flashy animated graphics into your own design.

Swallow your pride and talk to an aritist. You may be surprised how everything looks better and more polished than the old block polygons or standard textures you were using before.

I know they all say it's how it plays rather than how it looks, but like any product, you have to grab the attention first, and if it looks like "Frogger" turned upside down, no one (bar the happy hardcore oldies) are going to give it a second look, and you're ideas and coding are going to waste.

It's an unfortunate fact nowadays Sad[/quote]

I think the harder part is finding a friend that can use maya, 3DS, or any other modeling program. I made a pretty neat "scene," but trying to model human characters (that look human) was way too hard for me considering I had to animate them via hierachical modelling and not skeleton modeling. I ended up making ellipsoid men, haha.
win66
Tepelstreeltje wrote:
Many people want to write games, but don't ever finish a single title because they get stuck in a catch-22. You can't make a game without an engine, and it's really difficult to make an engine if you're not familiar with the process of making games. So they start trying to make a game, get discouraged after months of little progress, and give up.

I believe that if possible you should try your hand at designing games before delving into the technical depths of programming. Fortunately there's a tool which helps beginners create games quickly without having to know any programming at all (but if you do know some programming, you can still use it to your advantage).

I gather that several guys at this forum already know what I'm talking about.

It's called Game Maker. You can get a copy from http://gamemaker.nl/ and try it out for yourself.

I will try it when i free. thank you .
jaleung
This sounds fun and I think it won't be an easy job to make a simple RPG game Surprised
LostOverThere
GameMaker is awesome.
You can make anything you want with it.
Even RPG and FPS (such as Half-Life 2)

There is NO limits, i'm using it, at the moment i'm making a 3D FPS game called James Brown. Smile

Its heaps better then RPG maker or C++.
lockwolf
You cant really make an FPS like HL2 but you can make one like the original Doom if you wanted to!