FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the most ridiculous law of your country?

Da Rossa
Ok, ok, at first, let's make it clear that I do respect the laws, since I got harassed by someone that criticised me for this kind of coment, saying "law is law, period".

So, lets go. In Brazil, dangerous criminals almost always wait for judgment in liberty. If they're primaries, that's almost certain that they will. The guys that incinerated an indian here in Brasilia got busted, but freed in a couple of days due to an habeas corpus, arguing that "they had no intention to kill" - the indian was sleeping in a bus station when they approached with about a gallon of gasoline and started the fire by his blanket. The indian end up with a third degree in the body, dying hours later in the hospital.

This was in 1997. They only faced a trial on 2001, then got arrested, and not for more than 7 years each. They were granted conditional freedom. Soon they were spotted in a bar having a beer, while in the conditional.

Conclusion: what a shame.

Now, look at what the Brazilian law is capable of.

Tell your examples, preferably with stories like the above.
alkady
Montreal is the Only City in Quebec where you aren't allowed to turn on a Red Light while driving a vehicle.

Thats ridiculous if you consider every other area has.
johanfh
In the Netherlands we have 'gedoogbeleid'. I guess the whole world is laughing out loud because of that. It means if something is a crime, but is defined as 'gedoogd' you can commit the crime, you are considered a criminal, but when you are busted you can say: this isn't alowed, but it's 'gedoogd'. And then you can't get punished for that crime.
Most common use of 'gedoogbeleid' is about drugs: you may not own more drugs than just for personal use. But you can have a drugs-shop. You can't buy your store of drugs for the shop, legally the owner has to walk over the streets all day long to get enough drugs to sell. He doesn't do that, he buys it most of the time illegally (note: not all shop owners are criminals) and when he is caught, it's not 'gedoogd'. But as soon as it is in the shop it's 'gedoogd' and he can sell it...

What's your most ridicilous law?
JohanFH
alkady
Another ridiculous thing in Quebec which isnt really law, But mandatory "Which in a sense is law" is the Sales Tax is Taxed.

Meaning if I buy say something worth $1.00, Then I'd have to pay $0.06 in GST.

And afterwards, That $1.06 is taxed by the PST which is 7.5%.
izcool
There's a few that I don't quite understand. They're not necessarily with the country, but with the state that I live in (Illinois) and the city that I go to frequently (Chicago, I live in a suburb of Chicago).

1. You cannot make right turns on red lights between the hours of 7AM to 7PM. You can make right turns on red lights outside those hours. Here in the town that I live in, you can do that no matter what time of day that it is. (Chicago)

2. You have to honk your horn when you reach the end of an alley. Strange but true. (Chicago)

3. You cannot have anything hanging from your rear view mirror, which would commonly contain folded-up sunglasses, Jerry Springer beads (man do I love that TV show, sorry, off-topic lol), "Little Tree" air fresheners, amongst other random items.

- Mike.
Da Rossa
Thanks for your stories/descriptions, please keep them coming! Wink
bigdan
There are a tonne of stupid laws in Australia, one of them is the current double dip on petrol, where there is a excise tax AND the GST! That's atleast 40-50c on the top of the price...a tax on a tax even...
Da Rossa
bigdan wrote:
There are a tonne of stupid laws in Australia, one of them is the current double dip on petrol, where there is a excise tax AND the GST! That's atleast 40-50c on the top of the price...a tax on a tax even...

is it true that in Australia you have one of the hardest law agains P2P? And is that true that those laws are just nonsense? Tks
mathiaus
They seem stupid now but their old laws which meant a lot at the time, they just havent been removed yet (UK).
-In Chester (rather close to where I live), an Englishman can kill a Welshman so long as it past midnight withi the walls of the city and he uses a bow and arrow

Fantastic page here
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/international/united-kingdom/
Becky
mathiaus wrote:

Fantastic page here
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/international/united-kingdom/

lol those are funny Laughing

this one made me laugh the most:
A bed may not be hung out of a window.

random Cool
kazikame
Quote:
Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).

I don't think it'll be easy to beat that Rolling Eyes
kazikame
Actually, the stupidest one (although not funny at all) was from Iran i think. They hung a teenage girl for getting raped. "Crimes against chastity" apparently.
Da Rossa
Just learnt this from Brazil:
If you go to the Pantanal and hunt an Alligator for eating or anything else, and is intercepted by a guard on your way out, it's better for you to kill the guard rather than letting him heve you arrested. The murder criminal may be freed if he pays (don't know the exact juridical term for this in English) but the biopiracy and environmental crimes don't allow'em.
Assiez
in my state you can go fishing while sitting on a camel.

you cannt spit on tthe ground in town on weekends either.
bodaciousllama
I think the most ridiculous law in the United States is the fact that at age 17, kids can be forced to go and die for their country, but we can't *legally* drink alcohol until we turn 21.

if we're considered adults at age 18, then why the 3 year gap? and why is there the 3 year difference between smoking (1Cool and drinking? does smoking do less damage to the body?

it's total BS, and it's driving me to drink...
lSaKenl
in mexico, you cant have in streets a knife that its larger than 4", but you can have a rifle that works WITH AIR but it still shoots faster than the sound speed
Nameless
Da Rossa wrote:
bigdan wrote:

is it true that in Australia you have one of the hardest law agains P2P? And is that true that those laws are just nonsense? Tks

Do you mean Peer-to-Peer software? I'm Australian, and AFAIK it's perfectly legal - what's NOT legal is using it to share copyright files (eg. music files). This SHOULD be illegal, IS illegal, and STILL people insist on doing it, fully aware it's wrong both legally and morally, so anybody getting caught should suffer serious penalties, although I'm not aware exactly what they are.
clip
in our country, there's a law that says "No person is allowed to exceed 50php in a coin bank or sumthing" I can't remember the exact words but I got the idea.

nobody follows that though, and I bet nobody's even aware. Very Happy Laughing
a.Bird
In the U.S., you are not allowed to personally ingest, sell, or even grow in your kitchen a very harmless plant called Cannabis.
Nameless
a.Bird wrote:
In the U.S., you are not allowed to personally ingest, sell, or even grow in your kitchen a very harmless plant called Cannabis.

Harmless, of course, being the incorrect word there.

Although I always thought it stupid that cannabis and the like are illegal, but tobacco is not. They should all be legal, or all illegal. Ideally the latter.
a.Bird
Nameless wrote:

Please explain.
djwayno
the most pathetic rule in england is the rules about letting people in our country. The shit we have to put up with, the way other countrys come and piss all over ours. Our hard earned wages all go to them when we pay tax.
Da Rossa
a.Bird wrote:

Sorry but this is not ridiculous at all, I agree with them. Harmless? hell no.
HoboPelican
Da Rossa wrote:
a.Bird wrote:

Well, this is being discussed in another topic, but since there are numerous, peer reviewed studies that indicate that there are no serious harmful effects of using cannabis, I think, at the very least, you can say it isn't proven either way. And to have laws like that without solid evidence seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Not sure if this next one qualifies as ridiculous, but think of the seat belt laws in the US. Now think about the lack of helmet laws in many states. I have a hard time understanding why bikers can choose to kill themsleves and car drivers can't.
Da Rossa
HoboPelican wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:
a.Bird wrote:

Well, this is being discussed in another topic, but since there are numerous, peer reviewed studies that indicate that there are no serious harmful effects of using cannabis, I think, at the very least, you can say it isn't proven either way. And to have laws like that without solid evidence seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Not sure if this next one qualifies as ridiculous, but think of the seat belt laws in the US. Now think about the lack of helmet laws in many states. I have a hard time understanding why bikers can choose to kill themsleves and car drivers can't.

Just as a detail, as I wouldn't like to deviate from the topic, cigarrette has 3420 chemical substances, 60 of those cancerous, whlist cannabis, instead, has 400 only, all of them cancerous. Depends on the quantity you use, but they are.
As for my experience, my neighbour from below smokes a lot. I feel dizzy everyday. Headache comes quickly. I became a passive smoker. So, I can say cannabis is harmful. Even if it's only about me, it does harm me Very Happy
darrenpaul
Ok, not really ridiculous, but funny.

In Ireland, you can go to take your driving test, fail it miserably and still be allowed to hop back into your car and drive home!
Rico
It’s illegal for me to walk my dog in the street.
a.Bird
Da Rossa wrote:
Just as a detail, as I wouldn't like to deviate from the topic, cigarrette has 3420 chemical substances, 60 of those cancerous, whlist cannabis, instead, has 400 only, all of them cancerous. Depends on the quantity you use, but they are.
Smoking anything is bad for you, and possibly cancerous as well. I'm referring to ingesting. It's possible to smoke a hamburger, she we outlaw those?
HoboPelican
@a.bird, Da Rossa and HoboPelican

Let's move the marijuna debate back to Should marijauna be legal and let this topic progress. I don't see any point in repeating the same arugments in 2 different topics.
Da Rossa
a.Bird wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:
Smoking anything is bad for you, and possibly cancerous as well. I'm referring to ingesting. It's possible to smoke a hamburger, she we outlaw those?

But what about growing or selling it? It is traffic. I don't understand why someone would grow it in their garden without the intention to sell.
Soulfire
Rediculously Humorous Laws from the United States ( specifically the State of Michigan).

1) Persons may not be drunk on trains.
2) It is illegal to kill a dog using a decompression chamber.
3) Adultery is illegal, but can only be punished upon a complaint by the affected husband or wife.
4) No man may seduce and corrupt an unmarried girl, or else he risks five years in prison.
5) The last Sunday in June of every year was named ?log cabin day?.
6) Cars may not be sold on Sunday.
7) A woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission.
8) There is a 3 cent bounty for each starling and 10 cent bounty for each crow killed in any village, township, or city in the state.
9) It is legal for a robber to file a law suit, if he or she got hurt in your house.
10) You may not swear in front of women and children
11) Any person over the age of 12 may have a license for a handgun as long as he/she has not been convicted of a felony.

There are a few more funny city-laws from Michigan, so I'll post them as well.

Clawson
There is a law that makes it legal for a farmer to sleep with his pigs, cows, horses, goats, and chickens.

Detroit
1) Putt-putt golf courses must close by 1:00 AM.
2) Security guards at Joe Louis Arena will confiscate any item they feel might be thrown onto the ice.
3) Couples are banned from making love in an automobile unless the act takes place while the vehicle is parked on the couple's own property.
4) Willfully destroying your old radio is prohibited.
5) It is illegal for a man to scowl at his wife on Sunday
6) It is illegal to let your pig run free in Detroit unless it has a ring in its nose.

Grand Haven
No person shall throw an abandoned hoop skirt into any street or on any sidewalk, under penalty of a five- dollar fine for each offense.

Harper Woods
It is illegal to paint sparrows to sell them as parakeets.

Kalamazoo
It is against the law to serenade your girlfriend.

Rochester
All bathing suits must have been inspected by the head of police.

Soo
Smoking while in bed is illegal.

Wayland
Anyone can keep their cow on Main Street downtown at a cost of 3 cents per day.

Wow! You made it to the end! Were you that bored? Hehe, thanks for lookin'!
Da Rossa
Wayland is the best, man!! Very Happy

HoboPelican wrote:
@a.bird, Da Rossa and HoboPelican

Let's move the marijuna debate back to Should marijauna be legal and let this topic progress. I don't see any point in repeating the same arugments in 2 different topics.

Sorry Hobo, I was probably typing the last post when you wrote that.
OneBadOmen
This law is just for parts of Idaho (A state in the U.S.A), I think it's in pocatello Idaho but you can get arrested at anytime for not smiling! I don't think they inforce it though. And another one for everywhere in Idaho is that you can't fish off of a giraffes back! There's crazy laws everywhere.
allanxiao
The most rediculous things in China are that you can use money to do everything and aren't allowed to talk about any negative stuff of the government. This is actually true.
pjv
ridiculous, too many to mention thats why our country is at lost. even the politicians running the country is ridiculous. some are good, some are the best but nothing is put to good use except for a few good men.
kd5nrh
Da Rossa wrote:

Virtually anything becomes a carcinogen in ridiculous quantities. I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone were able to prove that pure water caused cancer with sufficient intake.

I have yet to meet even a hardcore stoner who smokes 40 joints a day, so I'd be hard pressed to believe that anybody commonly uses cannabis at the rate of many tobacco smokers.
meetul
Da Rossa wrote:
Ok, ok, at first, let's make it clear that I do respect the laws, since I got harassed by someone that criticised me for this kind of coment, saying "law is law, period".

So, lets go. In Brazil, dangerous criminals almost always wait for judgment in liberty. If they're primaries, that's almost certain that they will. The guys that incinerated an indian here in Brasilia got busted, but freed in a couple of days due to an habeas corpus, arguing that "they had no intention to kill" - the indian was sleeping in a bus station when they approached with about a gallon of gasoline and started the fire by his blanket. The indian end up with a third degree in the body, dying hours later in the hospital.

This was in 1997. They only faced a trial on 2001, then got arrested, and not for more than 7 years each. They were granted conditional freedom. Soon they were spotted in a bar having a beer, while in the conditional.

Conclusion: what a shame.

Now, look at what the Brazilian law is capable of.

Tell your examples, preferably with stories like the above.

The rule that India cannot attack any other country.

If I were the president, I would have amended it to the statement, 'India cannot attack country other than those who have attacked India in history'.
ItsWesley
One random law here is that men are allowed to urinate in public as long as its on the back wheel of a car.
Loghete
There's a quite dumb law I know:

Think of a bus driver. He can't drive the bus all the day, there's a daily limit for him.
That's OK.
If the bus is going on a long trip, there must be another bus driver to switch with the other.
That's OK.
But here comes the weird thing: The extra bus driver can't sit in the bus while he waits to take over the position as driver. So, if that law wouldn't exist, he could sit and rest in the bus.
But instead he has to drive after the bus, so he's probably pretty tired when he starts driving the bus...

Rolling Eyes
Da Rossa
Loghete wrote:
There's a quite dumb law I know:

Think of a bus driver. He can't drive the bus all the day, there's a daily limit for him.
That's OK.
If the bus is going on a long trip, there must be another bus driver to switch with the other.
That's OK.
But here comes the weird thing: The extra bus driver can't sit in the bus while he waits to take over the position as driver. So, if that law wouldn't exist, he could sit and rest in the bus.
But instead he has to drive after the bus, so he's probably pretty tired when he starts driving the bus...

Rolling Eyes

Ahahaha or else get in the bus at the stop point in the middle of the trip! Very Happy

People, don't stop telling us the dumb laws, but also say the laws in your country that make you angry. For example: the one I posted at the beginning of this topic. Similarly, politicians are almost 100% dirty here, but with their cash they can hire good attorneys that know the exact points in the law to postpond over and over the trial, then the corruption crimes prescribe. The Brazilian law is one one of the most complex, as complex as good for criminals. That awakens my and our (educated Brazilians) wrath.
DaveThaDawg
In the UK. CCTV cameras Are not alloud to directly look at Tills (cash registers)
Your Not Allowd To Smoke in a public enclosed space, i h8 that law being a smoker and all.
Possesion Of Canabis in small quanties is a slap on the rist and taken off of you. Possesion of more than an ounce is 5 or more years in the jail.
You are not alloud to walk on the street with a bottle of alchol with the lip seal broken but the lid on. ie if u have a drink at your freinds and you take your bottle home with you with the lid on its against the law.
you can go to a bar at 14 and have 1 drink (lol what use was that law lol)
They are thinking of changing the leagal age of taboco sales to 21 grrrr!.
Not A Law But the tax on a pack of smoke is around 66% of the actual price of the packet
generalgazz
Check this page out, it shows a nice selection of stupid laws.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~jimella/laws01.htm

Some are pretty funny.
nathanuk
in england police waste thousands of pounds on fuel every single day for the helichopters who watch teens on motobikes lol thats nurfed
Arnie
a.Bird wrote:
Nameless wrote:

Please explain.
You were the one who had to explain your "subtle" statement that it's harmless. And you know that. Sorry for bringing this up again, but I'm not interested in the debate itself, I'm just angry about such a shameless move.

Now as for ridiculous laws in the Netherlands: I am really against the law that says everyone has to carry ID cards with him at all times. It's so annoying. You can lose it easily, and not to mention it could get stolen. They also introduced new RFID passports which I'm also totally against. Somebody wrote on a news site though that it's legal to put the thing in the microwave and fry the chip. Well, I'll see when I have to renew my passport next year.
Meggsy
I don't know if it has been said but in Canada you are not allowed to board an aircraft while it is in mid-flight.
kirocone
Here in Macedonia, you hve to drive with your lights at DAY light, even If it is the brightest day ever...
godam64
nothing ridiculous.
it's just you can still buy law in my country.
money is still king. Very Happy
Da Rossa
godam64 wrote:
nothing ridiculous.

Indonesia?
And by the way I'd like to ask you this:
Are you favourable to the death penalty for drug dealers in there? Does the system seem to work? This is because this is a subject that I still haven't built up my opinion.
Thanks!
monzoncf
as far as i know. the most ridiculus law in our country is walking in public places with naked top (only for boys). and the rest, i dont know the rest. hehehe. maybe im just not only aware of our law.
Indyan
In India you can be prosecuted if you have anal or oral sex. The same applies for same-sex sex. I think the max punishment is 10 years, though I am not sure about it.
bluecradle
godam64 wrote:
nothing ridiculous.

same here in the Philippines. Shocked
oh and we have crazy politicians doing crazy election jingles for people to remember them...how immature LOL.
Josso
I can't think of any over here in England actually, in my opinion the legal system is pretty good.

Damaging her majesty's dockyards was a death penalty for quite a while I think, and it's still like life in prison for that... I mean what the heck!! Laughing
CompactHaven
No getting drunk in bars.
No drinking til 21 unless under supervision of guardian
/America.
jenice
There used to be a local law here that any man caught swearing in front of a woman had to pay her $25 on the spot.

The law was finally appealed as of about five or so years ago.
Jack_Hammer
All English Men over 14 are meant to carry out 2 hours (or so) of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.
London Hackney Carriages (taxis/cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.
It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises.
It is illegal for two adult men to have sex in the same house as a third person.
Chelsea Pensioners may not be impersonated.
A bed may not be hung out of a window.
It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.
Throughout the whole of England it is illegal to eat mince pies on the 25th of December.
Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked manequin.
It is illegal to leave baggage unattended, and picking up abandoned baggage is an act of terrorism.
Those wishing to use a television must apply for a license.
It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour.
It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.
Committing suicide is classified as a capital crime. (Repealed)

And specific areas of the country...

Chester
You can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.
Hereford
You can shoot a Welsh person all day, but only on Sunday, with a Longbow, in the Cathedral Close.
London
You are considered a freeman if you can drive your geese down Cheapside and to be hanged with silk rope (as opposed to plain old hemp).
Companies may vote in local elections.
York
Upon sight of a Scotsman, it is still legal to shoot him with a bow and arrow, except on Sundays.
Scotland
You may not fish on Sundays.
It is illegal to be a drunk in possession of a cow.
Trespassing on someone else's land is legal.
You are presumed guilty until proven innocent for some crimes.
If someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your commode, you must let them enter.
xMOBx Nor Cal
I think the most stupidest law is.... in utah your not allowed to go whale huning........ WHERES THE OCEAN???? i swear the are some dumb people in this country
xMOBx Nor Cal
I think the most stupidest law is.... in utah your not allowed to go whale huning........ WHERES THE OCEAN???? i swear the are some dumb people in this country
Andrew426
In New Zealand, anyone of any age must pay income tax, but you cant vote till your 18.

I often wonder why I must pay tax if I cant vote.
Slick
quite a few here in the uk!

seems police make them up as they go along!

i have no problem with speed limits when there nessesary etc

theres a country road about 6 miles in length after 1 mile theres a limit imposed of 30mph (goin down from 60mph) so most would assume your about to approach a built up area (housing etc) but for 2 miles there nothing but straight road and then 2 houses then 2 miles of straight road and then back to nation speed limit (60mph)

so for 4 miles you have to travel at 30mph for no reason... the 30 should be imposed say 250 yards from the 1st house etc not 2 miles away!

theres loads of situations like this...