FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

George RR Martin

biffb
I've read all of the Songs of Fire and Ice books and can't wait for the next one. Unfortunately there was about 2 years between the last book and the previous one.
evanc88
I read someone's blog a while back who was absolutely in love with his writings. I wanted to pick up A Game of Thrones (forgive me if the title is wrong, I'm just going from memory of a few months ago) at Borders, because they had a paperback of it for, I think, $3.98, but I bought Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy instead.
datter
I came here to post about Martin and searched first, and found this. He's an absolutely astounding writer... his books are literally too much to describe to someone who's not read him. The depth, the detail, the sheer number of characters and plot lines... all brilliantly woven together. I can't recommend him highly enough if you enjoy fantasy writings in any way at all.

datter
bonestorm74
Yeh he is an incredible author. There are many, many characters in A Song of Ice and Fire, which at first can be a turn off since it is difficult to keep track of them all. Ultimately it is a strength though, as it allows him to kill off anyone at any time, and he often does. This leads to some of the biggest surprises and twists I have ever read in any story.

I see that the series has been picked up by HBO to turn into a TV series, one season per book. I hope they do a good job with it.

Highly recommended, especially if you are sick of the 'boy from small village discovers magical powers and goes on to defeat the evil overlord' formula that has plagued much of modern fantasy.