FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Yabb problem

Bikerman
Hi folks,
I'm trying to get YaBB running on my webspace and appear to be having some problems - specifically server 500 errors.
The permissions look OK so I wonder if there is perhaps something I should be aware of relating to this server or maybe you have come across this issue before ??

Thanks
Chris
Dragonfly
Bikerman wrote:
Hi folks,
I'm trying to get YaBB running on my webspace and appear to be having some problems - specifically server 500 errors.

Thanks
Chris

You could post up the error messsage you got in your site. Whether it is phpBB, Joomla, SMF, or any other free softwares may give you this and that error due to your inexperience or common bugs with the software. So, it is important for users to mention the version we are running or trying to install on the server. Our experts here can definitely help you.

And if you search the HELP site at YaBB, they might already have the same problem faced by others and it might have already been answered too. Check out the support forum and just search the error term. You may get the response there also.

I hope this helps.
Bikerman
Dragonfly wrote:

You could post up the error messsage you got in your site. Whether it is phpBB, Joomla, SMF, or any other free softwares may give you this and that error due to your inexperience or common bugs with the software. So, it is important for users to mention the version we are running or trying to install on the server. Our experts here can definitely help you.

The software is YaBB 2.1 and the files are located in cgi-bin and yabbfiles.
The specific error is :
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@camres.frih.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This is normally caused by wrong permissions on the files but a quick check seems to indicate all is correct....

Cheers
Chris
Bondings
I can't find what the problem is.

Quote:
[Tue Aug 8 16:15:02 2006] [error] [client *.*.*.*] Premature end of script headers: /home/bikerman/domains/camres.frih.net/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Edit: I think I found it. Could it be that there are a few files like the Settings.pl missing in the /public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/Variables/ ?

By the way, there is definately a way to get it working. I checked one site with yabb (also in cgi-bin) and it the forums were showing up fine.
Bikerman
Bondings wrote:
I can't find what the problem is.

Quote:
[Tue Aug 8 16:15:02 2006] [error] [client *.*.*.*] Premature end of script headers: /home/bikerman/domains/camres.frih.net/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Edit: I think I found it. Could it be that there are a few files like the Settings.pl missing in the /public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/Variables/ ?

By the way, there is definately a way to get it working. I checked one site with yabb (also in cgi-bin) and it the forums were showing up fine.

Nope...transferred my default variables from the existing installation and still the same - 500 error....

C.
Bondings
Now it seems to be the Paths.pl file blocking everything. Could it be that you uploaded it in a wrong mode?
Quote:
syntax error at Paths.pl line 16, near "l"
syntax error at Paths.pl line 17, near "l"
syntax error at Paths.pl line 19, near "b"
syntax error at Paths.pl line 20, near "b"
syntax error at Paths.pl line 21, near "b"
syntax error at Paths.pl line 23, near "d"
syntax error at Paths.pl line 29, near "a"
syntax error at Paths.pl line 30, near "v"
syntax error at Paths.pl line 32, near "l"
syntax error at Paths.pl line 34, near "h"
Paths.pl has too many errors.
Compilation failed in require at /home/bikerman/domains/camres.frih.net/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/Setup.pl line 35.
Bondings
I just checked the Paths.pl file on another YaBB installation and yours is definately not ok. The text should normally be readable and in your case the file is something like "#^@#^@#^@#^@#".
Bikerman
Bondings wrote:
I just checked the Paths.pl file on another YaBB installation and yours is definately not ok. The text should normally be readable and in your case the file is something like "#^@#^@#^@#^@#".

Thanks....I'll make sure it goes up as ASCII and re-upload it.

Chris.

ps watch this space Smile
Bondings
I saw you uploaded it, but you still need to change the settings. Something like:

/var/www/vhosts/real-science.org.uk/... --> /home/bikerman/domains/camres.frih.net/public_html/...

Quote:
[root@host yabb2]# /home/bikerman/domains/camres.frih.net/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/Setup.pl
Can't locate /var/www/vhosts/real-science.org.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/Sources/Subs.pl in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 . ./Modules ./Modules/Upload ./Modules/Digest) at /home/bikerman/domains/camres.frih.net/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/Setup.pl line 59.
Bikerman
Bondings wrote:
I saw you uploaded it, but you still need to change the settings. Something like:

/var/www/vhosts/real-science.org.uk/... --> /home/bikerman/domains/camres.frih.net/public_html/...

Quote:
[root@host yabb2]# /home/bikerman/domains/camres.frih.net/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/Setup.pl
Can't locate /var/www/vhosts/real-science.org.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/Sources/Subs.pl in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 . ./Modules ./Modules/Upload ./Modules/Digest) at /home/bikerman/domains/camres.frih.net/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/Setup.pl line 59.

Setting change automatically when you run the setup script....however, in the interests of methodical debugging I'll edit them manually and reupload

OK....changed the paths and reuploaded...still no joy Smile
C.
Bondings
Could it be that that only happens if the fields are empty which isn't the case here?

I'm not very familiar with YaBB nor perl, so please excuse my ignorance. Wink
Bikerman
Bondings wrote:
Could it be that that only happens if the fields are empty which isn't the case here?

I'm not very familiar with YaBB nor perl, so please excuse my ignorance. Wink

No apology needed......It's quite possible, so I've shoved a more accurate version up....
I can always re-grab the install version.....I'll go and dig it out..

C
Bikerman
Yes - the install version just has a message at the top saying 'blank' so you could be right in that it checks that and either bombs out at that point or processes the rest....

I'll stick the install version up now...

C.
Bondings
For your information, the Setup.pl file and YaBB.pl file are now giving output if I run them from the shell, but not from the webserver.

This is either a problem of file permissions or there are still some errors in the files.

Quote:
[root@host yabb2]# /home/bikerman/domains/camres.frih.net/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl | more
Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation byte 0x64, immediately after start byte 0xf6) at /home/bikerman/domains/camres.frih.net/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/Boards/forum.master line 17.
Set-Cookie: Y2User-65361=; path=/; expires=Thursday, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT;
Set-Cookie: Y2Pass-65361=; path=/; expires=Thursday, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT;
Set-Cookie: Y2Sess-65361=; path=/; expires=Thursday, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT;
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Bikerman
Bondings wrote:
For your information, the Setup.pl file and YaBB.pl file are now giving output if I run them from the shell, but not from the webserver.

This is either a problem of file permissions or there are still some errors in the files.

OK...I'll double check the perms....

Cheers for the help

C.
Bondings
With the blank Paths.pl file it's giving errors again unfortunately.

Quote:
Undefined subroutine &main::CatAccess called at ./Sources/RecentPostsBar.pl line 93.
Compilation failed in require at ./Sources/Subs.pl line 225.
Bikerman
Bondings wrote:
With the blank Paths.pl file it's giving errors again unfortunately.

Quote:
Undefined subroutine &main::CatAccess called at ./Sources/RecentPostsBar.pl line 93.
Compilation failed in require at ./Sources/Subs.pl line 225.

OK...I know what that is...
It's a mod to the original install version.
I'll upload a vanilla version again and start from there...

C.
Bikerman
OK.....I wonder if you could do me a favour.
I've uploaded a script (text file) called changemods in the root of public_html

It contains all the chmod commands to setup the file rights for Yabb.
I can't run it from here but you probably can.....It will save a lot of time for me if you could just run it Smile

Cheers
Chris
Bikerman
OK...I've uploaded a vanilla install version and been through the chmods and the thing still isn't working - same error at the browser (500).

Any more ideas?

Cheers
Chris

Update - I've sorted it out finally.....thanks for the help.

Cheers
Chris
Bondings
Bikerman wrote:

It's still showing a 500 server error, are you sure it's fixed?
Blaster
Bondings wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

It's still showing a 500 server error, are you sure it's fixed?

I see no 500 error on it. Where did you see a 500 error bondings?
Bondings
I mean on http://camres.frih.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl .
Bondings
I commented out line 581 from Sources/Subs.pl and it seems to be working now. For some reason the upload::cgi thing gave an error. I hope this won't cause any problems.