FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it just me or is the world being taken over stupid people

ciaran27
I don't know about everyone else, but it is alarming to me to see the sheer amount of realy dumb people in the world today. They are everywhere, take a drive to the local Wal-mart and you will see what I mean. You will see stupid people driving. You will see stupid people at the registers. You will see stupid people arguing with other stupid people about the stupidest things in the isles.

I think it is because we have let so many fanatical causes in the world create so many rules, laws, and regulations that stupid people can thrive. When I see a bottle of hair spray that says "Do not spray onto an open flame, can may explode" I think does some moron at this company think we are all little children?

I think we have created so many senceless rules, laws, and regulatory bodies that we are accualy dumbing society to the point it is. Here they give people tickets for not wearing seat belts or helmets. I say let people make their own choices. If they get thrown from a car or crack their head on a telephone pole and live they will be smarter for the experience.

For the life of me I can't remember where I heard it, but at some point I heard the phrase "Lets take the saftey labels off of everything and let stupidity take care of it's self". I so think it is time to put this into action.

What do you think? If you have a constructive opinion, I would love to hear it. If you simply want to reply to post a stupid comment to cause drama, you are one of the people I am talking about. Post it somewhere else.
Vandalyzed
Lmao!

Actually I happen to agree with this completely. During my 13 years as a cable/satellite technician, you can imagine how many different people I've met from job to job.

I even started blogging about the sheer stupidity at one point. I called my stories "The Cable Guy Diaries"

The feedback was pretty good on the stories, and I loved sharing my showdowns with stupidity.
Ester
Very interesting subject, and I agree there are a lot of stupid people about. And what's so annoing is sometimes you see the stupid person in the job you applied for. I heard that somewhere in the world (I'm not sure where) they had done away with all the road signs, and this has acutally reduced the number of accidents. I think it's because they have to take more time at junction and take more care when driving.
jipmerite
Someone else is stupid only until someone comes along and calls you stupid. Sometimes a situation might depict someone as stupid but maybe that person is just in an unfamiliar situation.

We should keep in mind that some other people are not as previleged as some of us. Also, advising someone not to spray a can on a flame does not mean that we are assuming he is stupid. If you had a son you would tell him to be careful going down the stairs, not let him fall and leran his lesson.

A doctor might find it hilarious how some patients try to explain their own ailments. The same doctor might be dumbfounded by a technical problem in the x-ray machine. It does not mean there is abundance of stupid people in the world.

Just a few weeks back I went into the washroom of a restaurant to wash my hands. There was a lady at the tap next to mine and after washing her hand she was struggling to close the tap. Evidently the tap was already open when it was her turn.

Can you imagine in this day and age a grown women not knowing how to turn off a tap? But this is India and a lot of poor people do not have taps in their houses. Should I call her stupid?
Bondings
Quote:
Do not spray onto an open flame, can may explode

Some things might be very obvious for you, but not for someone else. That doesn't make them stupid. They maybe know other "obvious" things you don't know. Now by putting it on the can, people are reminded of it.
Alpha Dude
Greetings

Well, the way I see it, big corporations must put safety labels like the one you mentioned to stop people suing them! - [for not warning people what might happen, no matter how obvious it may seem]
HoboPelican
Well, as I'm sitting in my house typing this, I think that you are being a little harsh. Of course, when I'm driving, or out in the world, I absolutely agree with you. Smile

Seriously though, a lot of those warning labels are there because people have actually done those things. Why itemize every freakin' one? Lawyers. These companies get sued all the time by people who do incredibly dumb things, get hurt and the legal system lets them sue.

I think we all do stupid things at one time or another( I know I do my share), so maybe just the sheer numbers of people we come across might be the reason we see so much stupidity? Just statistics?

BTW - I think you meant "Aisles", not "isles". Wink
ciaran27
jipmerite wrote:

We should keep in mind that some other people are not as previleged as some of us. Also, advising someone not to spray a can on a flame does not mean that we are assuming he is stupid. If you had a son you would tell him to be careful going down the stairs, not let him fall and leran his lesson.

I am speaking about adults, not children. It is a parent's responcibility to protect their children and teach them the way of the world. I was a teacher for 4 and a half years, I would never advocate anything to endanger a child. The other side of that coin is that if we continue to dumb down the adults by protecting them like children.....what chance do their children have?

Alpha Dude wrote:
Well, the way I see it, big corporations must put safety labels like the one you mentioned to stop people suing them! - [for not warning people what might happen, no matter how obvious it may seem

This is exactly what I am talking about. If someone is using a product for something completly other than what it is intended for and hurts themselves, they should have no right to sue.

Makes me think of the Lady who won a million dollars because she went through the drive through at McDonalds and got a cup of hot coffee and, ig supprise burned herself trying to drive and drink it. now every cup of coffee has caution hot written on it. Not only do we have thos incredibly dumb woman that thinks she has the right to sue, but we have the 20 or 30 people in that legal system stupid enough to let her do so, and to rule in her favor.
ninjakannon
I think one problem these days is that no one has any initiative.

People are slowly stopping thinking for themselves and just waiting for things to be done for them. This makes them pretty much stupid because they can't (or more likely don't bother to) work things out etc etc.

I'm still at secondary school and I have to work with some of the stupidest on the planet. I'll tell you now that it's only gonna get worse. People don't work things out or do things for themselves.
Taking the "Do not spray onto an open flame, may explode" example: Someone who has no idea about this kind of thing reads it on, say, one brand of deodorant and doesn't spray it onto an open flame because they think it may explode. Then they buy another brand of deodorant when they've finished the first and this time they don't notice the same warning so they try to spray it at someone near a candle and it explodes.

Get my point? People may read something, and take it in. But not think that the same might apply to something else that's only slightly different.

Teachers in my school are actually doing some of the work for the students because they simply cannot think for themselves. I'm not going to give an example because I think that I've said enough. But I believe that if something very drastic is done to save the next generation of youngsters it will get worse. MUCH WORSE. Prepare yourself for more waves seriously stupid people, I've seen the next generation of adults, and it's not looking good; actually, it's looking pretty dire.
jb2_86_uk
I work at a supermarket and am completly amazed to see the notice 'WARNING: Contains Nuts' on... yeah you guessed it... a bag of nuts. It is incredible the lengths companies will go to to save their a$$es where they could just do the same with a decent lawyer Wink

Take off the safety labels petition? Where do I sign?

JB
HoboPelican
jb2_86_uk wrote:
...It is incredible the lengths companies will go to to save their a$$es where they could just do the same with a decent lawyer Wink

Take off the safety labels petition? Where do I sign?

JB

I used to work for a big drug company. Believe me, the big companies DO have their own lawyers. AND it's THEM insisting the labels are there!

To Ninja - I won't dispute the lack of initiative, but I think ciaran27's point about people not taking responsibility is a dangerous trend, also.
a.Bird
I think that because of the media, advertising companies have found their grip on society's self control. I can't stand listening to commercials between movie segments so I mute them. Otherwise, all I hear is an excited, fast paced, in your face commentary on how I'm not living the life I should be living because the knives I already have in my kitchen aren't sharp enough. I'm not a world famous cook and I take offense to this brain washing. Or all the countless advertisments about drugs that I need to be taking to prevent the chance of getting an ailment that in all reality, I probably have a .00001% chance of obtaining? It's ridiculous and I fear that the reason commercials get more and more in your face is because most of my country is actually buying into this mass scam. I imagine they are relying on the media for everything without questioning the fundamentals of the messages they are recieving and that is what I believe contributes to this lack of responsibility to be intelligent and accountable that you are talking about.
Josso
Well, not always infact a lot of people are a lot smarter than they look. But however I will say some leaders such as the current leader of the USA are pretty stupid compared to a lot of the well-educated people of today. I wouldn't call myself particually well-educated or anything but I'm 15 and a couple of friends and myself have devised a way to run the USA a LOT better than it's already been done, infact all you need is a system based around intelligent logic Laughing
jb2_86_uk
HoboPelican wrote:

I used to work for a big drug company. Believe me, the big companies DO have their own lawyers. AND it's THEM insisting the labels are there!

I mean a good lawyer. One would could win a case against a woman who suffers from nut allergies, but who still consumed a nut bought in a packet of nuts that did not explicably show the warning 'may contain nuts' - and who obviously had a reaction. Very Happy

I think the case would go 'you RETARD, what the hell did you think was in a packet of NUTS!? case closed. court finds in favour of the defendent'

I might be a lawyer, i bet its easy when you have a gram of intelligence
(just kidding i am going to be a pilot... or a ferrari (road car) test driver, which ever opportunity arises first Very Happy )

JB
Ghost Rider103
LMAO that made me laugh so hard, that was great!!! Laughing But I do agree there is some very dumb people in this world. Good thing people with serious weapons are smart.

For instance, if Russia fired a necular missele at us, were gonna fire 10 at them, we fire 10, they fire 30 and they know after that the action of that is well lets work it out

1M+10M+30M=0 people in Russia and U.S.A.

So, if Iraq were to have necular weapons, well dieing for them is good, they think when they die is when they get to their actual life. I actually learned that not to long ago and that is why we do take anyone else having necular weapons so seriously. Because Iraquis know if they fire just 1 necular weapon there gonna have much more coming right back at them, and dieing is basically want they want. But I say give them what they want and be odne with it.

We are ighting a war that we cannot win, you cant win a fight without the other person giving up, iraquis dont give up, there lifestyle is to die, and that is why we will never win!
Bookface
With effective birth control, only stupid people are breeding.

Not to say that smart people don't have a baby now and then, but we can't match the numbers that the stupids can produce. Unless maybe they start putting warning labels on penises and vaginas.
Aless
I work in a restaurant and I see evidence of this everday.

You know why I think - and also why Asian people tend to be on the whole smarter than Caucausian?

We were at an Asian food market and I noticed that they were keeping the sharp knives on one of the bottom shelves, within perfect reach of small children. I asked my Asian friend about this & she just shrugged, saying, "well, it weeds out the stupid ones, doesn't it?"

PERFECT. We should all keep our knives on the bottom shelf Very Happy.
HDirtwater
There is stupidity everywhere, and that is why criminals and scam artitsts continue to make a fortune. Even right here on our boards.....

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-47010.html
Ratman2050
HDirtwater wrote:
There is stupidity everywhere, and that is why criminals and scam artitsts continue to make a fortune. Even right here on our boards.....

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-47010.html

Yeah I agree, some people just dont pay attention or just dont want to learn. Which makes them stupid.

yeah that topic a great new concept. Sounds pretty wierd to me lol.
Ghost Rider103
I dont think scam artist are in the stupid catagory, there the ones taking advantage of dumb people, and making a living off of it. If we were all smart we would all take advantage of dumb people Laughing
Ratman2050
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I dont think scam artist are in the stupid catagory, there the ones taking advantage of dumb people, and making a living off of it. If we were all smart we would all take advantage of dumb people Laughing

You do have a point. But scam artists that fail are dumb for scamming in the first place.
HDirtwater
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Yeah, I was referring to the dumb people who answer emails from Nigeria, and fall for stupid pyramid schemes like the one in my link above (mods, you gonna lock that thread any time soon?). If not for stupid people, we would have no con men.
postmysite.com
You can see dozens of stupid people in IWA U.S They are so stupid they are living 3 years back and you should see how they drive. I seen this one Rtard turning into a neighborhood and stops for 2 mins and then backs up into traffic and stops in it for a min half way in it and then he moves. I was about to say out loud "what the F*&@ are you doing pull up out of there retard!" I swear even monkeys could drive better.
SusieSmacktard
I like the idea of warning labels on penises and vaginas. I agree that stupid people are definetely having more children. At work my co-worker likes to watch the Maury Povitch Show and every other episode is "Are You My Baby's Father?" How stupid is it to sleep with so many men in one month that you don't know who fathered your child? And how stupid is it for a man to sleep with a woman who's "been all the way round the block"?
Scott
Jipmerite made some good points.

I think there have always been "stupid people" around and there always will be. Often times though, someone might just be "stupid" in a specific area, I haven't met many that are "stupid" in all that they do, I also haven't met many that are "smart" in all that they do. I have also noticed that there are always condescending, disrespectful and self-righteous people. In my opinion the latter is much worse.
snowboardalliance
ciaran27 wrote:
I don't know about everyone else, but it is alarming to me to see the sheer amount of realy dumb people in the world today. They are everywhere, take a drive to the local Wal-mart and you will see what I mean. You will see stupid people driving. You will see stupid people at the registers. You will see stupid people arguing with other stupid people about the stupidest things in the isles.

I think it is because we have let so many fanatical causes in the world create so many rules, laws, and regulations that stupid people can thrive. When I see a bottle of hair spray that says "Do not spray onto an open flame, can may explode" I think does some moron at this company think we are all little children?

I think we have created so many senceless rules, laws, and regulatory bodies that we are accualy dumbing society to the point it is. Here they give people tickets for not wearing seat belts or helmets. I say let people make their own choices. If they get thrown from a car or crack their head on a telephone pole and live they will be smarter for the experience.

For the life of me I can't remember where I heard it, but at some point I heard the phrase "Lets take the saftey labels off of everything and let stupidity take care of it's self". I so think it is time to put this into action.

What do you think? If you have a constructive opinion, I would love to hear it. If you simply want to reply to post a stupid comment to cause drama, you are one of the people I am talking about. Post it somewhere else.

Hahaha yeah! Go darwinism. Natural Selection can take care of all the idiots and only people with common sense will be left.
ninjakannon
Scott wrote:
someone might just be "stupid" in a specific area, I haven't met many that are "stupid" in all that they do, I also haven't met many that are "smart" in all that they do.

As I still go to school I have met (and been forced to help) some people who really are stupid in all they do. OK, so these people are better at some things than others but they are basically bad at everything I've seen them attempt. But I agree that most people are good at something; it's just that there seem to be too many people that are not good at anything.

It's quite worrying. Shocked
jongoldsz
...the world is full of stupid people. Fortunately there are still smart people, otherwise I wouldn't know what to do.
Jeslyn
It's amazing how out all of the many stupid people of the world, none of them are on this thread. Rolling Eyes
horseatingweeds
I'm on here.
horseatingweeds
I'm on here.
Ester
If you put a question of Frihost, that you want answering then be prepared for an anwser from a stupid person. That's what I have found out anyway.
ciaran27
Ester wrote:
If you put a question of Frihost, that you want answering then be prepared for an anwser from a stupid person. That's what I have found out anyway.

Accualy, I have been plesantly supprised by the intelegent people that have responded to this post. I've been pretty active in many online communities over the past 10 years or so. If I had made this post in a lot of the forums I have frequented over the years, I would have probably ended up with the simple reply of "Thanks for proving my point", but most of the responces that have been made here have been great.

As long as we can recognise the stupidity in the world we see all around us, we can stop ourselves from becomming part of the problem.
nugatron
Yeah my good friend is going out with this girl who is possibly the dumbest person I have ever known in my entire life, and it is slowly dragging me a way from my friend because I don't want to be with her. It just goes to show that stupid people may be taking over the world one by one Confused
standready
We are being dumbed down. Having to put "caution hot" on a cup of coffee. If it was not hot, you would complain. TV Commercials are geared to a 5th grade level. Morning news shows are more concerned with promoting entertainment than reporting news worthy items.
allanxiao
I agree with the points you made, something around us can be regarded as really STUPID, especially the conversation at the dinner table.
ninjakannon
horseatingweeds wrote:
I'm on here.

Heh heh, good one! That really made me laugh. Laughing Very Happy
jipmerite
If you guys read "So Long, and Thanks for all the fish" by Douglas Adams you would know the story of Wonko the Sane who realised that the whole world is mad. Wanna know what made him realise it?

He saw written on the side of box:

Quote:
"Hold stick centre of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion"

"It seemed to me." said Wonko the Sane, "that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a packet of toothpicks was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane"

For those of you have not read these books by Dounglas Adams, you are losing a lot of fun in life. And also, it takes people of some intelligence to appreciate the creative genius of Douglas Adams.

Why don't you take up the challenge.
ciaran27
jipmerite wrote:

For those of you have not read these books by Dounglas Adams, you are losing a lot of fun in life. And also, it takes people of some intelligence to appreciate the creative genius of Douglas Adams.

Why don't you take up the challenge.

Great series. Have read them all several times. Was very sad to hear about his passing a few years back. I guess we will all undergo spontanious massive existance falure at some point. I know I will miss his influence in the world, it's a better place for it.
jcvincent
I agree with this thread! Amen! I'm a senior student at a University here in the Philippines, and I noticed that as well. I don't know why stupid people tend to increase in numbers? will they dominate the world someday? I hope not.

Just go to the MRT station, a local railway transit here and you'll see stupid people trying to act smart arguing to the security guard of the train station. Well, I'm the kind of person that will observe something and defend the right one. Hehe. I always notice that the people arguing the security guards doesn't have the right reason for them to start an arguement.

You are stupid if you enter the MRT station and you won't let the guards inspect your bag when at the gate it says "BAGS WILL BE SUBJECTED FOR INSPECTION".

you see? Stupid people are increasing in numbers. I just hope that I will not be one of them someday. LOL
bigdan
I agree as well. In this country (Australia), the stupid people watch all the stupid shows on TV, which makes the networks believe we want more of this crap, therefore more stupid reality and celebrity-based shows get put on. Sad I'm getting sick of that shite.
abuetyfulprincess
Vandalyzed wrote:
Lmao!

Actually I happen to agree with this completely. During my 13 years as a cable/satellite technician, you can imagine how many different people I've met from job to job.

I even started blogging about the sheer stupidity at one point. I called my stories "The Cable Guy Diaries"

The feedback was pretty good on the stories, and I loved sharing my showdowns with stupidity.

I can relate to this. I have been a custmer service rep for over 2 years now and you wont belive haw stupid people can be.
wowz
I'm sorry, but I had to... Smile

ciaran27 wrote:
I don't know about everyone else, but it is alarming to me to see the sheer amount of realy dumb people in the world today.

*really not realy

ciaran27 wrote:
When I see a bottle of hair spray that says "Do not spray onto an open flame, can may explode" I think does some moron at this company think we are all little children?

It's more likely someone sued at some point. Ever wonder why a hot coffee cup says hot on it? Why the microwave says "Don't put animals in to dry"? Well, these stupid warnings are usually because some idiot decided to sue. I guess they weren't that dumb since they won - or maybe the judge is a moron. The hairspray thing, however, probably was a warning label attached before a lawsuit to avoid one. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that hairspray is flamable or that any gas under pressure may explode if heated.

ciaran27 wrote:
I think we have created so many senceless rules, laws, and regulatory bodies that we are accualy dumbing society to the point it is.

*senseless not senceless
*actually not accualy

ciaran27 wrote:

This is actually one of my more common phrases. Except I say:
"I think we should take the warning labels off of everything and let nature take it's course"
Natural selection was doing great until man invented warning labels and medicine.

ciaran27 wrote:

I'm all for taking obvious warning labels off of things. I deal with stupid people on a daily basis. It's actually my job to inform people of how stupid they are being and how to fix their problems. I also think people should have to do a competency test before being able to do certain things. For example, to purchase a computer or gain internet access, you should have to complete a basic computing course.

An online game I used to play, Kingdom of Loathing, actually had a litteracy test that you'd have to do before being able to enter the chat. It's great. There are three parts to it. Part one is typing a sentence exactly as it is. Part two is inserting the correct words in a sentence - the words are there, their, and they're. I believe there is also a third part having to do with basic spelling. I used to be an editor. I loved it.

It's sad when you know people who are institutionalized for being 'mentally retarded' but seem to have a lot more common sense than the average joe.
roadruner
they're not really taking over... they've taken over a long time ago Razz
even some people you think are really smart are in fact dumb as hell Razz
but what can you do...screw 'em Wink
sibbahz
Well the world seems to be run by people that only care about the money, and will only keep people happy if it keeps their wallets happier.
Most things done by polititions is done just to keep the public from voting them out so they get more money.
a.Bird
Geez, I'm starting to wonder if I'm one of these dumb people you're refering to. Because I mean, well um... it is just your OPINION right?
benwhite
No, the world has always been in the hands of stupid people. It's just that the internet has given the masses a microphone.

Just look at myspace...yuck.
ninjakannon
benwhite wrote:
No, the world has always been in the hands of stupid people. It's just that the internet has given the masses a microphone.

Just look at myspace...yuck.

I think you're right! But obviously, with the ever-increasing population, there will be more and more stupid people. But perhaps the stupid people to intelligent people ratio will stay the same. Who knows?

Just remember, MYSPACE IS EVIL Exclamation
Jaan
Is it just me, or is this topic being taken over by stupid people? Rolling Eyes
It IS and we must EXTERMINATE THEM! STARTING WITH OURSELVES!

*stab* WE'RE THE ****ING STUPID *****
ninjakannon
Jaan wrote:
Is it just me, or is this topic being taken over by stupid people? Rolling Eyes
It IS and we must EXTERMINATE THEM! STARTING WITH OURSELVES!

*stab* WE'RE THE ****ING STUPID *****

No, I think it's just you, Jaan. Cool

And, seriously, do you really think that language was apropriate there?
a.Bird
ninjakannon wrote:
That terrible, naughty language that is almost completely censored? Uh oh.
ninjakannon
a.Bird wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:

But we all know what those asterisks are hiding, don't we? If you can't work it out, perhaps Jaan was right, this topic is "being taken over by stupid people". Rolling Eyes
benwhite
Sadly, malnutrition is negatively correlated with IQ. When people don't get the nutrients they need, their mental powers usually don't meet their highest possible capacity. Given that there are billions of people who could use some more food, let alone protection for basic diseases during childhood (which also have the same affect), the ratio will get worse. Not because stupid people may have more children, just because more children will continue to be literally held down by poverty.
Davidgr1200
"Everyone in the world is stupid except for thee and me, and even thee's a bit stupid... " Reworking of an old quote.
a.Bird
ninjakannon wrote:
a.Bird wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:

But we all know what those asterisks are hiding, don't we?
How do you know what we all know about those asterisks? Are you intellectually superior? What I do know is that humans are allowed to think and speak freely. This relates to another thread on this site about letting your children loose on the internet. You seem to me like the type of person who would "let them loose" without proper supervision to TEACH them that those asterisks mean something bad. You're more worried about limiting free speech in order to make your parenting easier than you are taking things like that with a grain of salt. THat's only my guess but please correct me if I'm wrong, I mean no slander.

ninjakannon wrote:
If you can't work it out, perhaps Jaan was right, this topic is "being taken over by stupid people". Rolling Eyes
Work what out, and what are you incinuating?
ninjakannon
a.Bird wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
If you can't work it out, perhaps Jaan was right, this topic is "being taken over by stupid people".

Work what out, and what are you incinuating?

I'm sure you already know this but I meant work out what those asterisks are 'hiding'.

My point is this: Some people find bad language offensive - not me personally, but I listen to talk radio and they've had whole discussions on the matter of swear words and some people (these people are typically an older generation). In fact, some people find swearing so offensive that they would send PMs to the moderators of this forum after reading that and ask for the immediate banning of the user. Of course the user wouldn't be banned, and thus the person in question that is offended may never use a forum again. (I know that this is one of the more extreme cases, but things like this do happen.)

No, I am not intellectually superior, just so you know. And I am not suggesting that people's speech, on this forum or anywhere, should be limited or censored in anyway. I was only pointing out that some people will find what you've said offensive, they be shocked and deterred from browsing the cornucopia of websites out there. Do you think it is fair to do that to people?

I believe that using asterisks in that way is just as bad as writing the word because what is 'hidden' is just so obvious.

a.Bird wrote:
This relates to another thread on this site about letting your children loose on the internet. You seem to me like the type of person who would "let them loose" without proper supervision to TEACH them that those asterisks mean something bad

I would not tell my children - if I had any (I'm a teenager) - that "those asterisks are bad". Before I let my kids onto the internet I would give them the usual boring parent lecture about the dangers of the internet and that they don't know who they're really talking to and that there is some seriously sick stuff out there etc etc.

Personally I'm not against swearing, it's just a noise made from someone's mouth and I do not find the swear word itself offensive or disturbing in any way. Most swear words are never used for there original (and inoffensive - in many cases) intention. For example, I've heard (although I may be wrong) that the word "twat" is the word for "a pregnant fish". And the word "bitch" is the word for a female dog. It's the use of these words that can be offensive to me, but only offensive as using non swear words to mean the same thing. And - in fact - the main reason people these are increasingly using swear words as replacements for other - less offensive - words is because that's the fashion and it's cool to do so.

a.Bird wrote:
You're more worried about limiting free speech in order to make your parenting easier than you are taking things like that with a grain of salt

These days people are more concerned about their rights than they should be (they are also more aware, but that's not really a bad thing), and things are going over the top. Did you know that a guide was handed out to thousands of school students in the UK. It contained a statement that went something like this: You must be aware of your rights and do not have to do something that would mean acting against your rights. One of your rights is not being physically abused. For example, being bullied or being made to do cross country running. The point of me telling you this is that - in your last post - you seemed to be defending your rights (forgive me if I'm wrong here) and implying defiantly "how dare you even suggest taking people's rights away". But in a sense, taking away your 'right' to swear or be offensive is just as bad of making people timid and fearful when browsing the internet. Ok, I'm talking about a minority of people, but people do actually have this reaction to seeing swear words on the internet. I will also say that the majority of people who may react in this way don't use the internet. However, some do... you may say, at their own peril. And I kind of agree with that, maybe if they use the internet they should be prepared to find swearing. But what if they need web space but don't have a credit card, and therefore cannot pay any of the sites that offer web hosting for a fee. So they come to Frihost and have to post on the forum to keep their account and they happen to come across that swearing. I'm afraid I'm not sure whether this person has the 'right' to get angry about seeing this or whether the person who swore has 'done wrong'. I don't think using the words "done wrong" there are quite good enough, but I couldn’t think of something else to put in place and I'm sure you get what I was thing to say, also the example may not be too good, but again: I'm sure you understand the point I'm trying to get across.

Personally I think that if everyone just used swear words as normal words then they the words would just become normal words, and not be offensive. This is in fact, gradually happening as more and more people are using them freely. And swear words are loosing impact.

I think I've said all I want to say here...

EDIT: About this:
a.Bird wrote:
You're more worried about limiting free speech in order to make your parenting easier than you are taking things like that with a grain of salt

If I become a parent I will not be more worried about making my parenting easier than doing the actual parenting itself. I hate many of the ways some people are brought up these days but if I say anything about it, even mention the things that I hate people will leap on me, pin me to the ground and beat me to death - then admit to my murder in court and together get 9 seconds in prison for their crime. Some 'celebrity' recently went out for a walk, but didn't want to take her baby with her. So she hired someone to look after the young child. When she returned the baby was bruised and crying. Of course the person who attacked the baby did wrong, but what the hell was the 'celebrity' mother thinking? She wanted to go for a walk but not take her baby. There must be something seriously wrong with her knowledge of parenting here... I don't think I need to say any more on this.
That was slightly off-topic but oh well. Rolling Eyes
a.Bird
ninjakannon wrote:
If I become a parent I will not be more worried about making my parenting easier than doing the actual parenting itself. I hate many of the ways some people are brought up these days but if I say anything about it, even mention the things that I hate people will leap on me, pin me to the ground and beat me to death - then admit to my murder in court and together get 9 seconds in prison for their crime. Some 'celebrity' recently went out for a walk, but didn't want to take her baby with her. So she hired someone to look after the young child. When she returned the baby was bruised and crying. Of course the person who attacked the baby did wrong, but what the hell was the 'celebrity' mother thinking? She wanted to go for a walk but not take her baby. There must be something seriously wrong with her knowledge of parenting here... I don't think I need to say any more on this.
That was slightly off-topic but oh well. Rolling Eyes
Lol thank you. You just gave an example of what I was trying to tell you. If someone posts asterisks on the internet (and I mean REALLY think about it, they are asterisks. Swearing is everywhere, including popular, well-written novels. an asterisk is really nothing at all dude), then they have affected someone some how, maybe a young child. However, "what the hell was the [parent] thinking" letting their kids on the internet by themselves and expecting them not to come across something like that. And this relates to another thread, haha. The thread about "ethics" today because of the internet in comparison to ethics before the internet... interesting.
bdoneck
The biggest thing that annoys me is when you buy something thats, lets say, $11 and all you have is a twenty and a single. So you hand the guy $21 and he stares at you blankly and tries to give you back your single. I just want to explode and tell them to put the damn number 21.00 into the machine and it will tell them why i gave them the single.

But yes, It seems that people are stupid in the sense that they will take any chance for money. The reason that there are safety labels is because without them, companies would get sued for not warning people that hairspray is sticky. The reason for labels like that has nothing to do with people being stupid enough to spray themselves in the eyes with hairspray, its people doing those things because they want money.
ninjakannon
a.Bird wrote:
Lol thank you. You just gave an example of what I was trying to tell you. If someone posts asterisks on the internet (and I mean REALLY think about it, they are asterisks. Swearing is everywhere, including popular, well-written novels. an asterisk is really nothing at all dude), then they have affected someone some how, maybe a young child. However, "what the hell was the [parent] thinking" letting their kids on the internet by themselves and expecting them not to come across something like that. And this relates to another thread, haha. The thread about "ethics" today because of the internet in comparison to ethics before the internet... interesting.

Yeah, swearing is everywhere these days. I think that if a kid sees swear words or something that they may interpret as swear words (those asterisks - for example) then they will be less affected than they will be at school. Every day a child must hear over 100 swear words from their friends alone (on average, and this is just a guess... I've never counted Razz), and their friends will be much more influential than some words on the internet.

But I hope you get my point, that some people (mainly the older generations) will be offended by swearing of any kind, even if they can't see the swear word, but they are obvious (again: those asterisks - for example). Most people won't care - and some people won't even think anything of it - but some will. That's all I was trying to say, and you've gotta be careful you don't go over the top in certain situations as on some websites you may get banned for swearing, and swear to the wrong person in real live, and you're gonna get into seriously trouble.

Now onto what bdoneck said.
Yes, bdoneck, I agree that those warnings on products are about money. The companies don't want to get sued. But who are the people that would need to sue them? I'll tell you, the ones that were stupid enough to (I'll give only a few examples): eat the nuts in the packet of nuts and almost die from an allergic reaction, through the deodorant canister onto a bomb fire. And the people that do that kind of thing must be pretty stupid or maybe they just did it my accident. But if it's an accident then they shouldn't sue, as well... it was their own fault, their accident. NOT the company’s accident. And if they did it purposefully then it's their fault too, not the companies. I am allergic to nuts, and if I am of any doubt as to whether there are nuts in a product, I'll check the ingredients or look for the - but ignore the "may contain traces of nuts" label. You know, in the last 5 years (I can't remember any further back than that on this) I have suffered one [minor] reaction to nuts in a product that "may contain traces of nuts", and I eat products that may contain nuts all the time. These warning labels must be aimed at the stupid people, seriously they must.

Also, I really laughed at your story about giving cash to the person on the till. Isn't it pretty obvious why you've given him that? Laughing
HoboPelican
ninjakannon wrote:
....Also, I really laughed at your story about giving cash to the person on the till. Isn't it pretty obvious why you've given him that? Laughing

Well, just to take the other side for a moment, it may be the persons first day at a register (they all have a first day). Even though this seems obvious to you, lots of folks never even think about. I've known a few very intelligent people who never even thought about that concept. Add to that the fact that that person has dealt with so many other idiots that day who gave them the wrong amount by accident, and I think it might be a bit unfair to think they are being stupid just because they didn't click on your intention fast enough.

I guess there are a lot of people doing stupid things out there, but I try to remember that others are thinking the same thing about me at one time or another. We ALL do stupid things. Wink
benwhite
There are levels...
mutagen
Hold on, friends.

How can we be the judges of ignorant people over intellectual sevants such as ourselves. If anything, this is a world of varying perception. We may think that people who "drive poorly" or "shop at Walmart" may be "stupid" or "ignorant", but what about our society's top thinkers who hold themselves to be part of an elite organization separated from the ignorance of the general society. And if we must go in-depth, what about the obscenely rich, who further categorize society's social structure. Surely, there can be no ignorance without genius, and vice versa.

After all, we are all "stupid" compared to someone "smarter."
a.Bird
Thank you.
mackhenry
i think whoever started is really stupid
yeah thats for sure
because stupid people talk of stupid things
Applause Mr. Green
ninjakannon
HoboPelican wrote:
Well, just to take the other side for a moment, it may be the persons first day at a register (they all have a first day). Even though this seems obvious to you, lots of folks never even think about. I've known a few very intelligent people who never even thought about that concept. Add to that the fact that that person has dealt with so many other idiots that day who gave them the wrong amount by accident, and I think it might be a bit unfair to think they are being stupid just because they didn't click on your intention fast enough.

I guess there are a lot of people doing stupid things out there, but I try to remember that others are thinking the same thing about me at one time or another. We ALL do stupid things. Wink

OK, I take my laughing back. The thing that swayed me there was when you mentioned the number of other 'stupid people' that they've had to deal with that day. OK, I've seen some pretty crazy things that people have tried to do in shops and I guess you've gotta ask why they gave you the un-needed cash, just in case the reason is a totally bonkers one Confused.

Also, yes, it could be their first day, and I think that they could be slightly thrown by your actions, but it would be useful for them to experience that.

Thanks for making me 'see the other side', HoboPelican. I'll try to remember the other side of the... (I was going to say argument but that really doesn't fit here - and I'm noty sure what to put in it's place, but you get the idea) in the future. And I mean that, or I'll be looking like one of the stupid ones Razz
angel_of_death
In case you needed further proof that the human race is doomed by stupidity, here are some actual label instructions found on consumer goods:

On a Sears hairdryer: Do not use while sleeping.

On a bag of Fritos: You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside. (The shoplifter special.)

On a bar of Dial soap: Directions: Use like regular soap.

On a Swann frozen dinners: Serving suggestion: Defrost. (But it's just a suggestion.)

On Tesco's tiramisu dessert (printed on the bottom of box): Do not turn upside-down.

On Marks & Spencer bread pudding: Product will be hot after heating.

On packaging for a Rowenta iron: Do not iron clothes on body.

On Boot's children's cough medicine: "Do not drive a car or operate machinery after taking this medication."

On Nytol sleep aid: Warning: May cause drowsiness.

On most brands of Christmas lights: "For indoor or outdoor use only." (As opposed to what?)

On a Japanese food processor: Not to be used for the other use. (I gotta admit, I'm curious.)

On Sainsbury's peanuts: "Warning: contains nuts."

On an American Airlines packet of peanuts: "Instructions: Open packet, eat nuts."

On a child's Superman costume: "Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly." (I don't blame the company, I blame the parents for this one.)

On a Swedish chain saw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."

i found it on some website. dunno where. i've added a few that i've seen Exclamation
ninjakannon
OK, I understand the reason for some of those being put there, but more thought should have gone into things like the "not to be turned upside-down" one. The problem with that is that people don't have pride in their work in Britian, so they are slack and mistakes are made.

[Offtopic] PS. I said that myspace was evil earlier in this thread, and I take it back. I've now down-graded it to "moderatly anoying" as it's finally actually working for me instead of throwing up errors when I try to do anything.
seej
Stupid or not I donnot know............but there is a reason behind everything and eveyone.You understand it.........you understand that we are all humans..........remeber error is human.............you stop calling them stupid and you will be divine.
DecayClan
Well, i believe that this is happening also because of the Level of education, which is continiusly droping. People also see STUPID stuff on tv all te time that makes them ever stupidier. Also note, that all the role-models, that peopel are currently following, are stupid. Yes, the world is getting dumper, and it will continue to do so, until a WW3 comes. It won't take long. believe me...
Slick
i totally agree with the topic title and also how pathetic some labels are!

best example in the world is...

a bag of peanuts containing the waring...

"this product may contain or been in contact with nuts"

^^ hope so thats why i brought them... bloody stupid aint they!!!!!!!

i also would like to add the most stupid people in the world always manage to find a position in management, especially where you happen to work lol! Laughing
zjosie729
I agree with you. About the hairspray thing, it reminds me of an episode of Mythbusters, where they try to prove the myth that if a cigarete is dropped in the toilet full of some flamable things, it would explode.
reddishblue
Who are you to lable anyone stupid?
They may know something you don't!
Perhaps there looking at you and thinking "look at that fool".
You might not know them well enoth.
My point is get to know someone before you label them dumb!
izimngcubes15
Some people acts stupid because they think it's funny, and that what makes them stupid too.

But I don't think you can call them stupid, they must be good at some things. Shocked
Vashni
It sure does to seem to get more and more stupid. maybe we have more blondes, all these kids dying thier hair Razz oh well, i dont know if theres anything we could really do to stop it.
Zaini
How do we know that other people is stupid and not us ? Maybe, the world is run by all geniuses but as we're too stupid to see it ?

Nah, I don't think soo. But I believe they're not stupid. They're too busy enriching or empowering themselves that they do not have time for other people.

Hey, if we are so smart, why we not run the world ?
angel_of_death
Zaini wrote:
How do we know that other people is stupid and not us ? Maybe, the world is run by all geniuses but as we're too stupid to see it ?

Nah, I don't think soo. But I believe they're not stupid. They're too busy enriching or empowering themselves that they do not have time for other people.

Hey, if we are so smart, why we not run the world ?

whatever. you can believe that everyone else in the world is a genius, and you are a fool, or that you got brains and eveyone else is an idiot. its all up to you Very Happy

honestly, i'd rathe not believe that i'm a fool Cool
a.Bird
see Internet Tubes
jdavij2003
ciaran27 wrote:
Makes me think of the Lady who won a million dollars because she went through the drive through at McDonalds and got a cup of hot coffee and, ig supprise burned herself trying to drive and drink it. now every cup of coffee has caution hot written on it. Not only do we have thos incredibly dumb woman that thinks she has the right to sue, but we have the 20 or 30 people in that legal system stupid enough to let her do so, and to rule in her favor.

Just so you know, that woman was not driving, she was sitting in a parked car and opening the lid when the coffee spilled on her. In addition, she was fairly old and the coffee burned her so badly that she had to have skin grafts on her inner thighs and buttocks. There is a picture of her injuries here:
http://harmfuldruginfocenter.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/are-our-rights-preserved-hot-coffee-review/
I agree with the OP, but I have to say that most lawsuits that happen are not frivolous.....frivolity in the law is a myth that corporations want us to buy into in order to prevent future lawsuits which cost them money. In fact, the myth of frivolous lawsuits is what has induced us to pass tort reform laws which restrict our right to sue and receive compensation for wrongdoings. We forget that these lawsuits are decided by juries comprised of regular everyday people, which is the foundation of our justice system.

Anyway, I saw your comment and could not pass on without informing you of the lies that you have been told. If you want more information, watch the documentary entitled Hot Coffee.
jdavij2003
Yes, I just replied to a seven year old thread. I'm sorry. It came up in a Google search.
jajarvin
I believe in an old wisdom ----> Live and let live:

---> An idiom expressing the modern concept that one should let others live their lives as they see fit. <---

More on this topic
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/live+and+let+live
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Live%20and%20Let%20Live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK2hKzZss5Y
deanhills
jajarvin wrote:
I believe in an old wisdom ----> Live and let live:
I like this one too. Except unfortunately the world is not constructed that way. We're sort of engineered to live mostly for ourselves and to fight for our own survival. If it means we have to kill someone else in order to survive, we'd probably do that as well. Just think when we're kids and we are playing cops and robbers. We're always competing with one another, and in that competition comparing, and dealing with our differences probably in not a very ideal way. We want to live and let live, but at the same time can't help but notice all of these differences and worry that some of them may be to the detriment of our species.
Pande
Quote:

Senseless*, stupid person! Very Happy Kidding, just couldn't resist.

Depends where 'here' is of course, I just want to point out that where I live (Canada) we have the same laws about helmets on bikes. But to me there is a good reason for this. We all pay the taxes that are used to pay for the free surgery that that person will need after he cracks his head open on a telephone pole, or fly through the windshield and somehow manage to survive.

I know that it's not the same for our neighbours in the States though, where I guess then it's OK because the person not wearing the helmet should understand that they are responsible for their actions.
GuidanceReader
This thread reminds me of the movie Idiocracy. Yes, I think the world is becoming more stupid in some ways, but I think it's more a shift of intelligence. I think in the future, what we 'think' defines intelligence will be different to now.
FoolsToken
I am also often bewildered by the stupidity of unprecedented simple mindedness of human beings. I my self often become so trifled by the senseless ambitions of my own species, that I have all but completely given up to perusing the notion that life has purpose.
Becoming educated in collage has only verified that we are clearly to stupid to put knowledge to good use!
AnthonyJaded
Stupidity is like a vicious virus that consumes the minds of men women and children alike. Never again will there be something as common as common sense. It is more of a rarity with every passing breath. I agree with your meaning on laws and labels. It says "Do not ingest" on rat poison. No shit. I think rat poison should say "Eat it if you think its a good idea, I dare you!" We hold the hands of these idiot retards and to what end? Preserving stupidity on a fundamental level in order to ensure that it is past on to our posterity? Of course! A nation of absolute ****** dumbasses is a lot easier to maintain and control. Intelligence of a genuine nature and free thinking is actually penalized in our society! It is the like the days of the witch hunts, only now we seek to demean and ostracize those who have not fallen prey to a brain dead agenda. Darwinism is dead! It's all counter intuitive to any kind of natural selection. We've taken these forces into our own hands and completely screwed the pooch! Wink Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation [/b]
FoolsToken
Is the world really as stupid as it seems? This is a question floating within my minds eye which has driven me to madness. I've almost literately been driven beyond the brinks of sanity attempting to find out weather or not I'm insane, or if the wold is actually as retarded as a mutilated Mongoloid bludgeoning me in the face with a special tow by four? The world is profoundly retarded, and I feel as though brains are merely Goldenstine ( excuse my spelling ) on the tellascreen during hate hour! This is some real 1984 shit blasting the hair off of my scalp!
I was reading over the aged novel a few months ago when I ran across the the man in the canteen "quacking" like a "duck"; and was latterly referred to as a sub-human soulless creature by the author. As I read this I drew the stark parallels between this book and modern society!
We are actually changing the definition of words, banning types of speech, prizing mentally deficient individuals for the sake of a scrap of paper, written as a degree, and denouncing facts in the name of since!
What a world we live in when a Wise jaded bastard actually rote a intrepid novel, warning humanity of it's tumultuous stupidity, and we go and indoctrination ourselves with the same self righteous simple minded nature, only decades later!
I believe Profoundly retarded is a thick unpleasantness pill we all must swallow!
A friend of mine actually argued that seat belts killed more people, than they saved? I simply replayed "go for it". This latter actually caused me to question how dark stupidity had made me?
I myself look into the mirror, and simply see a moron, jaded by time.
johans
the problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence. Very Happy
playfungames
jdavij2003 wrote:
Yes, I just replied to a seven year old thread. I'm sorry. It came up in a Google search.

It happens. Bumping old threads in forums are normal, am I right? It's not like old threads cannot be replied to or are closed off. But I believe that old threads should stop taking in new replies. That way we can have new fresh posts every time, if there are enough active users. I mean, it's not common to look at the dates before replying to threads in forums.
Bikerman
Well, as moderators we have a choice and I am prepared to be guided by users on this matter. We can either:
a) continue as present - pretty much leave threads alone so that anyone can reply to any thread at any time
b) lock threads after a certain period meaning the thread is still visible but cannot be replied to.

My own preference is for the status quo - I can see that old postings being 'bumped' is a bit annoying sometimes, but I tend to think that the issue is best dealt with by users expressing their displeasure rather than by us moderators implementing some rigid rule......but, as I said, I'm open to be convinced....