FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

switching users in windows XP

aningbo
Is there a possiblity to swith users when the welcome screen is disabled? i mean i would like to have the login page shown rather than the welcome screen and still allow switch-user mode. i know pressing ctrl+alt+del twice will show me the login page instead of the welcome screen but can it be done without pressing anything.
jipmerite
I don't think it'll be possible to change it without doing 'anything' but you could try Tweak UI. It's a Powertoy made by M$ to hel tweak XP. Maybe it has some optopn to do what you want.
mOrpheuS
aningbo wrote:
Is there a possiblity to swith users when the welcome screen is disabled? i mean i would like to have the login page shown rather than the welcome screen and still allow switch-user mode. i know pressing ctrl+alt+del twice will show me the login page instead of the welcome screen but can it be done without pressing anything.

When you switch to classic login, you lose Fast user switching as a side-effect.

The two really cannot co-exist.
rvec
the classic login is not as user friendly but it is safer. It's safer becouse you can't run any other programs(keylogger for example) while you have to log in. Not in an active user nor in a background procces.
aningbo
keylogger will not load??? what kinda programmer is he who cant program such one file!!!!
Hammy
I dont know of a shortcut to switch directly to anouther login.

but 'Windows + L' switches to the login screen.
(Windows Key)

Hope this is more conveniant.
mOrpheuS
aningbo wrote:
what kinda programmer is he who cant program such one file!!!!

Sure one can code a program that runs with no user logged in, a windows service perhaps.
But the real challenge is in trapping the user input in this program.
That's the idea behind Ctrl-Alt-Del before login : The user input goes nowhere but to the login prompt.

That's what has led people to create what they call "hardware keyloggers", the kind that plugin between the keyboard and the PC. Wink
orno
mOrpheuS wrote:
That's what has led people to create what they call "hardware keyloggers", the kind that plugin between the keyboard and the PC. Wink

you mean a video camera? Razz
aningbo
the code has to be in .dll so as to load during the welcome screen... i coded one using visual basic but detected as a trojan by AVG!!!! dont know how... thought the same code after removing the compile .ddl, it detected nothing.

anyway enough with those keyloggers... i need help with the one i posted for.lol
pudovkin
Question: when the per domain login is enabled, can't we use the fast switching user and allow more than one user to use the system?
I'm asking this because I tried to view at Virtual Desktop Manager from MS and had 4 identical desktops.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
aningbo
are you asking ortelling me what do to?? i open the link but nothing's there as per my needs. i dont really get you as to why you posted the link!!
pudovkin
"Virtual Desktop Manager: manage up to four desktops from the Windows taskbar with this PowerToy." Perhaps you can use as a fast switching login sessions. Razz
(and it's a related question...)
aningbo
i didn't quite get thatline actually. i'll try and thanx.