FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[RESOLVED] TV-out problem

Idoru
Hi!

I use a GeForce2 MX 100/200 graphics card and am experiencing some problems
with the out-put through an S-video cable to the TV. The OS here is XP sp2, by
the way.

I clone the monitor (tried other options aswell with the same resault) and get the
screen and everything out to the TV. The picture is great, but with one little
complaint - it's all in black-n-white. Anyone have some ideas on how to solve this?
mOrpheuS
Idoru wrote:
The picture is great, but with one little
complaint - it's all in black-n-white. Anyone have some ideas on how to solve this?

It's most likely a defective S-video port (on either the graphics card or the TV) OR a defective cable.

A break in the line 4 will result in a black & white output on the TV.
Idoru
Ouch!

Tried two different cables and two different inputs on the TV, so this is beginning
to sound as bad news... My conclution then gets me to the port in the graphicscard.
Thx anyway, mOrpheuS, since it's better to know. I'll see if I can dig up some
other g-card and eliminate that option, if no one can bring hope to the situation
with some software sollution before that. I'm sooo tired of pulling those computers
apart replacing pieces. Laughing
orno
although m0rpheus could be right (as he generally is Razz), im willing to bet that this time, he isnt Wink

i had a similar problem a few months ago and after some researching i found out that it could have something to do with the TV mode (something like TV set to NTSC, computer set to PAL...)

check these websites for more info:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000567.htm
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_20957900.html

also have a look at this wikipedia article, especially this section:
Quote:
S-Video can be transferred through SCART connections as well. However, it was not part of the original SCART standard, and not every SCART-compatible device supports it for this reason. Also, S-Video and RGB are mutually exclusive through SCART, due to the S-Video implementation using the pins allocated for RGB. Most SCART-equipped televisions or VCRs (and almost all of the older ones) do not actually support S-Video, resulting in a black-and-white picture if attempted to use, as only the luminance signal portion is used. Black-and-white picture in itself can also be a sign of incompatible colour encoding, for example NTSC material viewed through a PAL-only device.
mOrpheuS
orno wrote:
i had a similar problem a few months ago and after some researching i found out that it could have something to do with the TV mode (something like TV set to NTSC, computer set to PAL...)

Embarassed
Yeah, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions ... that should definitely be the first step in troubleshooting this problem.
Incompatible TV signal format can very well be the reason.

The good thing is that I have a nVidia card at home too, and I clearly remember having an option to specify the output TV signal format from within the nVidia control panel.

In the nVidia control panel, look for something called "device adjustments" for the TV.
Give it a try!
Idoru
Finally!!! Very Happy

It took some time, and I changed the graph-card. No better Sad
Then I found an app called TV-tool, wich helped some, but not
compleatlly. And to make it work I had to change the G-card
back Laughing
Finally, after reading around a lot, I found some adjustment to set it to
'composite out' instead of 's-video' out. Bingo! Not perfect resaults at once,
but after re-doing the process a couple of times it works very nice. Smile
orno
good job Very Happy