FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virtual Aviation

ciaran27
Hey all,
my hobbies include hiking, kayaking, camping, slacking off, and Virtual Aviation. Most people have heard or maybe even played a version of Flight Simulator. Few people know of the massive community that is deticated to FS an other aviation software for the PC. My friends and I all provide Air Traffic Control for pilots flying online. We have realistic controller software with which to track planes, and provide instructions to pilots via voice and text.

Not to long ago a group of us started our own Virtual Airline. A VA is where deticated virtual aviation buffs learn to fly the commercial skys in very much the same way as real pilots do. It's a great way to learn something productive online, as well as have a great time.

Anyone who is interested in getting started in VirtAv, drop me a PM. I would be glad to point you in the right direction. All that is needed is a $20 flight stick and a $20 copy of Flight Simulator 2004, both available at your local Wal-mart, Computer store, or office supplly superstore.

Ciaran
PatTheGreat42
Dude, flying on Flight Simulator is nothin' like the real thing. I used to play Flight Simulator back in the day, doin' whatever in my little virtual plane, but then I started flying for real. And let me tell ya, I can't go back.

It's just so different. In a plane, you feel vibrations and the rise and fall and the hum of the motor and the turn of the plane and the altitude and you gotta think about stuff. In Flight Simulator, I can't turn my head fast enough, I don't get any feedback, and the flight dynamics just feel off because I can't feel the plane.

If you really want to fly, man, go fly.
ciaran27
Pat,
I have spent some time with friends flying GA. i totaly agree that it is nothing like FS or any other simulator. The fact still remains I can't afford to go buy a plane on a whim. Would be nice though:P

The other side of the coin is that you can't go get in a 747 and go for a cruise, I can Smile I can fly what I want, when I want. And the gas is a lot cheaper too. I can also login and control center airspace when I want.

I don't doubt that real world flying is great, but it is out of reach of most people in the world. I hope to get my pilots license some day, but until then I will continue to run my own VA, control Oakland, and fly what, when, and where I want on my PC Smile

Keep flying any way you can is my motto Smile
Sinue
Hmm... might be fun. I like flying sims and games, so long as I don't have to dog-fight. Ace Combat 4 was the last one which didn't completely pwn me. Too bad my PC won't run anything more than the old Chuck Yeager sims which came on the 5 1/2 sized disks.

Well, it ain't that slow.. but still.
dburnett557
I'll telly I am a private pilot and MS's flight simulator helped me tremendously on the instrument portion of the training. I will say that it is VERY realistic on the Guages Especially on the 172SP
HoboPelican
ciaran27 wrote:
Hey all,
my hobbies include hiking, kayaking, camping, slacking off, and Virtual Aviation. ...

Dang, we share a lot of the same past times, my friend. I just do flat water and some quiet ocean kayaing in my Acadia. A comprimise boat to be sure, but it works for me.

I actually signed up on vatusa a few months ago and was learning the ropes. But I knew I couldn't give it the time it deserved. Are they all voice now or still a mix?

BTW - I never got my IFR, but the flight sims did help me with getting used to scanning the gauges.

Wink
hack_man_
@ciaran27

Are you on VATSIM? Where do you ATC/Fly? Which server?
ciaran27
hack_man_ wrote:
@ciaran27

Are you on VATSIM? Where do you ATC/Fly? Which server?

When I got interested in flying online with ATC, I spent about 45 min on vatsim one night and never went back. If the atc's talked to me like they did the pilots I listened to that night I would have to tell them off and probably be banned. It is impossible to learn somethng if all those who are supposed to be helping new members out treat them like they are idiots for not knowing what they are doing.

I am the ATM for KZOA and Web Services Director for Region North America on FPI. Tobad Vatsim made a bad first impression, I realy love flying online and put a lot of time and effort into our network. Oh well, their loss. I also have my own VA that some friends and I started called Eagle Virtual. We haven't taken it public yet, just getting the last of our staff in line before we do. You are welcome to come check us out.

http://eaglevg.org
http://noam.region.fpi-net.net
The Czar
Ha ... Play Flashpoint ... I like flying the MiGs in there ... I know its totally not the same as FS but still, I love bombing 3d people ...
Petee
I just recently got Microsoft FS2004. I like it a lot (considering the last flight sim I had was Microsoft FS98!). I've been looking into a few Virtual Airlines, trying to find one that I like. Haven't found one as of yet, lol. I'll look into yours though ciaran27.
ChaosMike
Czar, I didn't know you were an OFP fan Very Happy
But yeah, I play flashpoint and use DSL's A-10 for blasting armor and peeps.

Anyway, if anyone's into virtual military aviation, then you all should be looking forward to this game...
http://www.fighterops.com/

This is gonna be a most esciting game when it comes out. I really can't wait for it to come out Very Happy
ciaran27
Never been much of a military aviation buff, but I will check it out. Also thinking about joining the Virtual Air Force on IVAO. Spent a few years in the real AF after high school, not as a pilot though.

FPI has closed up shop. I now fly and control for IVAO.

http://ivao.aero
ChaosMike
I'm actually planning on going into Air Force as an officer after High School and get into pilot training for the A-10. My medical status says i'm pilot qualified for the time being (hope I don't get sick or something Wink)

I checked out IVAO, sounds awesome...I'm gonna look more into the site Cool
ciaran27
ChaosMike wrote:
I'm actually planning on going into Air Force as an officer after High School and get into pilot training for the A-10.

Just a word of advice....you can't go into the Air Force as an officer afer high school. To become an officer you must either have a college edication in a field they are looking for, join an ROTC program at college, or join the Air Force Academy.
Archetype
Ahhh, Microsoft FS 2004. I bought that a few months ago, and bought a joystick to go with it, as I soon found out that it's useless with a keyboard. I installed it, played it a few times, had some fun with it, then got rid of it. I think it's collecting dust under my desk somewhere. Too damn much to install. Laughing
ChaosMike
Quote:

Just a word of advice....you can't go into the Air Force as an officer afer high school. To become an officer you must either have a college edication in a field they are looking for, join an ROTC program at college, or join the Air Force Academy.

Yes, I quite well know what I have to do...I'm already competing for the Air Force Academy/ROTC. I just didn't bother to mention that in my post since you know this already Wink

I haven't played FS2004 in a while, I gotta find the dang box and install it Very Happy