FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flash, PHP and MySQL

galivio
Im currently developing a system for our school project and it's an online interactive map guide for a mall here in our place. The design and animation is in flash but i want all the contents or texts comming from the database. So I use PHP and MySQL. I have a working knowledge in PHP and MySQL but haven't tried yet integrating with flash.

Can anyone give me some PHP and Actionscript codes inorder to retrieve information from the database and display it in my flash movie. And also to display images in flash by using only the location information of the image stored in the database.

Links will also be appriciated. Thnx!
a_dubDesign
I've done alot of dynamic stuff in flash from mysql, and I've found its generally easier to create an xml object in flash which calls a php page to load the xml. The php gets the info from mysql and then parses it out as xml, but it depends on the situtational needs. Theres a huge tutorial about the xml object in flash on kirupa. You could also use a loadvars object in flash to call a php script, but that can be dangerous with blocks of text. The Flash help files are excellent resource for loadvars.

If you describe a bit more indepth how you want your ap to work and look like, I would be able to be more helpful.

Oh, and the code to load images in dynamically depends slightly on what you're wanting. If you don't want a preloader or any actions to go along with the status of loading then a simple loadMovie call will work. You'd have a movieclip set up on the stage where you want the picture to be with an instance name of whatever you want, I'll call it pic_mc. The actionscript would be
Code:
pic_mc.loadMovie(path_to_the_picture)

where path_to_the_picture is either a string, or a variable holding a string path.

If you want all the cool bells and whistles of the loading bar and things of the such you need a MovieClipLoader, which once again the Flash Help File has excellant coverage of.

Hope my ramblings help, like I said if I could get a better idea of the scope of the project I'd be alot more helpful.