FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what SATA PCI card has good linux support?

ammonkc
I have an old PC sitting and collecting dust right. So I want to turn it into a linux NAS or webDAV server. I'm not sure if I'm gonna try freeNAS linux or just turn it into an Apache server with webDAV support. Its a few years old (2.4Ghz Celeron), and I want to add a SATA PCI card and maybe run a RAID. Right now the mother board only has IDE support. I saw some cheap sata pci cards on newegg.com and compusa.com. But I don't know how the linux support is for these cards. I'm gonna be running SUSE linux 10.x (whichever one is the news release).

What card will work with SUSE? Like I said earlier, the PC is an old inexpensive machine, so I would really like to get an inexpensive sata card.
Thanks
internetjobs
i used SATA hard disk for linx 9, but i cannot able to install, it telling a error..
ammonkc
I just installed FreeNAS on my regular IDE drive for now and its working like a charm. this will be fine for now, at least until I figure out what SATA card to get. The FreeNAS was a really simple installation and was really smart about detecting hardware. So I'm starting to think that it doesn't matter which SATA card I pick up. FreeNAS is based on linux and is really light but works well. no complaints so far. we'll see what happens when I throw a RAID in the mix.