FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

th 2038 bug and google

st_jimi
Quote:
THE 2038 BUG

In computing, the year 2038 problem may cause some computer software to fail in or about the year 2038. The problem affects programs that use the POSIX time representation, which represents time as the number of seconds (ignoring leap seconds) since January 1, 1970. This representation is standard in Unix-like operating systems and also affects software written for most other operating systems because of the broad deployment of C. On most 32-bit systems, the time_t data type used to store this second count is a signed 32-bit integer. The latest time that can be represented in this format, following the POSIX standard, is 03:14:07 UTC on Tuesday, January 19, 2038. Times beyond this moment will "wrap around" and be represented internally as a negative number, and cause programs to fail, since they will see these times not as being in 2038 but rather in 1970 or 1901, depending on the implementation. Erroneous calculations and decisions may therefore result.

There is no easy fix for this problem for existing CPU/OS combinations. Changing the definition of time_t to use a 64-bit type would break binary compatibility for software, data storage, and generally anything dealing with the binary representation of time. Changing time_t to an unsigned 32-bit integer would affect many programs that deal with time differences.

Most operating systems for 64-bit architectures already use 64-bit integers in their time_t. The move to these architectures is already underway and many expect it to be complete before 2038. However, hundreds of millions of 32-bit systems are deployed as of 2006, many in embedded systems, and it is far from certain they will all be replaced by 2038. Despite the modern 18- to 24-month generational update in computer systems technology, embedded computers may operate unchanged for the life of the system they control. The use of 32-bit time_t has also been encoded into file formats, such as the common ZIP file format, which means it can live on for a long time beyond the life of the machines involved.

Using a 64-bit value introduces a new wrap around date in about 290 billion years, on Sunday, December 4, 292,277,026,596 15:30:08 UTC. However, this problem is not widely regarded as a pressing issue.

TEST IT

The Year 2038 Problem Test it now... steps...
1. login to yahoo messenger
2. send instant message to anyone - fine its working...
3. now, change ur system date to 19-Jan-2038, 03:14:07 AM or above
4. Confirm weather ur date is changed
5. again send instant message to anyone... Your YM crahes.... * * * YES ALL NETWORK BASED APPLICATION WILL NOT WORK NOW * * * Why.....

The 2038 bug is when Google's long term cookie does something, but what?

THE GOOGLE BUG

Google are clearly gathering information about us but refuse to tell us why. It's nothing new to us, but while they cannot control normal SERPs, they do however control who is viewing what and when.
We run Google adverts in order to survive. Does this mean we shouldn't share the information below? If you know an alternative way to sustain costs please get in touch.

Please note, Google does not track you by simply viewing pages containing their adverts.

1. Google's immortal cookie:
Google was the first search engine to use a cookie that expires in 2038. This was at a time when federal websites were prohibited from using persistent cookies altogether. Now it's years later, and immortal cookies are commonplace among search engines ; Google set the standard because no one bothered to challenge them. This cookie places a unique ID number on your hard disk. Anytime you land on a Google page, you get a Google cookie if you don't already have one. If you have one, they read and record your unique ID number.

2. Google records everything they can:
For all searches they record the cookie ID, your Internet IP address, the time and date, your search terms, and your browser configuration. Increasingly, Google is customizing results based on your IP number. This is referred to in the industry as "IP delivery based on geolocation."

3. Google retains all data indefinitely:
Google has no data retention policies. There is evidence that they are able to easily access all the user information they collect and save.

4. Google won't say why they need this data:
Inquiries to Google about their privacy policies are ignored. When the New York Times (2002-11-2Cool asked Sergey Brin about whether Google ever gets subpoenaed for this information, he had no comment.

5. Google hires spooks:
Matt Cutts, a key Google engineer, used to work for the National Security Agency. Google wants to hire more people with security clearances, so that they can peddle their corporate assets to the spooks in Washington.

6. Google's toolbar is spyware:
With the advanced features enabled, Google's free toolbar for Explorer phones home with every page you surf, and yes, it reads your cookie too. Their privacy policy confesses this, but that's only because Alexa lost a class-action lawsuit when their toolbar did the same thing, and their privacy policy failed to explain this. Worse yet, Google's toolbar updates to new versions quietly, and without asking. This means that if you have the toolbar installed, Google essentially has complete access to your hard disk every time you connect to Google (which is many times a day). Most software vendors, and even Microsoft, ask if you'd like an updated version. But not Google. Any software that updates automatically presents a massive security risk.

7. Google's cache copy is illegal:
Judging from Ninth Circuit precedent on the application of U.S. copyright laws to the Internet, Google's cache copy appears to be illegal. The only way a webmaster can avoid having his site cached on Google is to put a "noarchive" meta in the header of every page on his site. Surfers like the cache, but webmasters don't. Many webmasters have deleted questionable material from their sites, only to discover later that the problem pages live merrily on in Google's cache. The cache copy should be "opt-in" for webmasters, not "opt-out."

8. Google is not your friend:
By now Google enjoys a 75 percent monopoly for all external referrals to most websites. Webmasters cannot avoid seeking Google's approval these days, assuming they want to increase traffic to their site. If they try to take advantage of some of the known weaknesses in Google's semi-secret algorithms, they may find themselves penalized by Google, and their traffic disappears. There are no detailed, published standards issued by Google, and there is no appeal process for penalized sites. Google is completely unaccountable. Most of the time Google doesn't even answer email from webmasters.

9. Google is a privacy time bomb:
With 200 million searches per day, most from outside the U.S., Google amounts to a privacy disaster waiting to happen. Those newly-commissioned data-mining bureaucrats in Washington can only dream about the sort of slick efficiency that Google has already achieved

HOW TO STOP THEM

. Enable cookies if they are turned off.

2. Go to http://www.google.com/

3. Click on "Preferences" on the right side of the search box.

4. Set your preferences and click "Save Preferences." You're back to the search box.

5. Click on "Advanced Search" on the right side of the search box.

6. Do not fill out anything, but just click on "Google Search."
Update: Place a single space in the main search box and click on "Google Search."

7. Bookmark this new search page.

8. Disable your cookies for Google.
Explorer 6.0 Tools — Internet Options — Privacy — Edit (near the bottom) — type in google.com — Block — OK — OK
Firefox 1.0 Tools — Options — Privacy — Stored cookies — highlight your google.com cookie — check Don't allow... box at bottom — Remove cookie — OK — OK
Opera 7.51 Tools — Cookies — highlight your google.com cookie — Delete — New — type in google.com — check Apply... — uncheck 3 Accept... — OK — Close
Netscape 7.1 Tools — Cookie Manager — Manage Stored Cookies — highlight your google.com cookie — check Don't allow... box at bottom — Remove cookie — Close
9. Test your cookie block: Exit and reload your browser — go to www.google.com — click Preferences on the right side of the search box — Google should tell you that your cookies seem to be disabled

Now when you use your new bookmark for Google searches, your preferences are passed to Google in the URL, without a cookie. And with cookies disabled, Google won't be able to associate your search terms with the unique ID number that they use in their cookie. This is so wonderful that we think Google will patch this workaround sooner rather than later. If they do, it will prove for once and for all that the real reason Google uses cookies is to track you, and not to set preferences. But you knew that already, didn't you?

Hope i aint scared you

Animal wrote:
When copying and pasting text from another source, you must use quote tags as per the forum rules.
jipmerite
Well you certainly have scared me... But I hardly think my PC is going to last till 2038...So I'll not bother about the cookies...

I think there was a similar panic when the year 2000 was round the corner....but nothing seems to have happened as forecast...

I am sure the IT pros will think of a seamless transition beyond 2038 as well
kazikame
This is going to go the same way as the millenium bug.
chrismen
Ok you have officially scared the c*** out of me with that google stuff. Where do you get this stuff?
Agent ME
I don't see any problem with the google stuff... all they do is cache some websites, and maybe record what you search. So what? Its not like anyone is going to look at what you search unless you get pulled into court for raping a 6 year old you met on the internet...

And about the 2038 bug, it can't be too hard for existing systems to code a simple work-around.
snowboardalliance
2038 is way too far to worry. I'm sure in less than 32 years we will have fixed it. And that google stuff isn't new news, I don't see it as a threat and if you do, don't use google.
caroline
YO there's nothing wrong with Google!

Google probably collects all this info to improve its services. Google's toolbar is not spyware, its more useful than any other search engine's toolbar.

And anyways, why focus on Google? To me Microsoft is way more evil; they control your os systems and many people use msn products. *shudders*
bpdwg
Nice info about the google. yeh they have full monopoly. becasue most of the internet traffic is generated by google.
Hogwarts
caroline wrote:
YO there's nothing wrong with Google!

Google probably collects all this info to improve its services. Google's toolbar is not spyware, its more useful than any other search engine's toolbar.

And anyways, why focus on Google? To me Microsoft is way more evil; they control your os systems and many people use msn products. *shudders*

Yeah... Nothing is wrong with google. Maybe they see that if you connect to a site that google does not search, it adds it to their register. Go google!
st_jimi
first the way around the 2038 bug is to upgrade to 64 bit processers that are expensive noe but in 32 years wont be

if you dont belive it works try the yahoo test worked for me

the google toolbar is spyware it automatically downloads upgrades without asking you even core windows elements always ask you before up grading

the weird thing about the google bug is it last 32 years why would they wont to spy on us for 32 years? the cia arent even allowed to use cookies for more than 10 yrs

and like who ever said as long as your not up to anything bad on the net you dont have to worry lol
Hammy
Well im sure they'll be able to fix this problem in 32 years.

Do your really think we'll have Yahoo Messenger in 32 years?.. Dont u think they'll of upgraded?

What about computers?.. They wont just be any ordinary computers.. They'll be built into homes as standard lol, talk to it to make coffee, close blinds, turn lights on and stuff liek that most likely lol.

Im sure there's nothing to worry about.

Hammy.
THE11thROCK™
well now that's something to think about.
haak_heu
jipmerite wrote:
Well you certainly have scared me... But I hardly think my PC is going to last till 2038...So I'll not bother about the cookies...

I think there was a similar panic when the year 2000 was round the corner....but nothing seems to have happened as forecast...

i dont care what ever they do , but they provide free services , still i m hoping that they brovide full asses to those books in google scholar
twisthigh
Wow that's scary I hate google, I never use it... I use Yahoo, but I'm sure they've got something up their sleeves too... as for the 2038 thing, I'm sure I'll buy another computer/all new software before then... so yeah...
kingy2k6
Lets be honest, nearly everyone loves google, the company themselves have marketted very wisely.

Next up is the new Google OS which they hope will compete with the Micrsoft counterpart and Linux. Whos to say they wont succeed at takin over Micrsoft as the dominant OS provider.

I certaintly wouldnt get against it. Especially seeing as its going to be free.
sonic
lol you scaryed me there man Razz, but my PC is old s*** so I will have a new one at that time Wink
Soulfire
My PC won't last until then - so I think I'm good. But yeah, this sounds a lot like Y2K bug (which nothing happened).
dz9c
you all are not very smart are you? big deal who cares its nothing to worry about. spend your time on another thread
cybernie
ouch! that was a bit scary...
seanooi
that really scared me man. But by the time 2038 arrives i think i won't be using my current computer anymore. Laughing
{name here}
jipmerite wrote:

Windows is not run by Unix under the hood, and so this will not effect you. However those running OSes that do such as OS X and FreeBSD will be effected, unless Apple and the FreeBSD group were smart enough to patch the effected area, and I think they are competent enough to do that.
Quote:
Next up is the new Google OS which they hope will compete with the Micrsoft counterpart and Linux. Whos to say they wont succeed at takin over Micrsoft as the dominant OS provider.

Goobuntu will not be released to the public.
mpbarthou
so we'll use the paper in 2038 ... or maybe is like the bug of the year 2000 ... anything will happen !! hιhι Smile)
Maybe it is again a thing that will make buy a lot of things by consumers ; a lot a USELESS things ...
izcool
I've read about the Year 2038 Bug on Wikipedia before.

Has anyone ever heard of the Year 10,000 Bug ? It's explained here on Wikipedia if anyone is interested. Put simply, the problem with the year 10,000 is that one more digit will have to be added onto the years in computers, since all of them are 4 digits right now. Razz

As with the 2038 Bug, I'm sure things will be fixed by then. In the 1970's, the programmers were aware of the Y2K bug and disregarded it because they needed to save spave (computers had very little storage space and memory at the time, cutting 2 digits off the year was a lot of space being saved) and decided that when technology progresses, it would be taken care of by then.

Well, I guess I'm going to be lucky enough not to be around for the 3rd Computer Bug involving years, to face what's going to happen with the Year 10,000 Bug.

As with what came out with the Y2K Bug, there's only one thing that I heard about that happened. When you applied for credit cards a few years before 2000, the expiration date for 2000 was reading "1900". Whoops. Razz As for that, I don't know what else really happened.

- Mike.
R2.DETARD
Google will either be a megacorporation that rules the world, or totally dead by 2038. no need to worry either way.
If it is a megacorporation, it will be evil (see microsoft) and we will want to see it fail.
If it is dead...who cares.
problem solved.
Yazz
I ain't bothered by any of this. Our current systems will be replaced by 64-bit in about 5-10 years, I'd guesstimate. 32-bit systems wont be able to exist by then because of the natural lifespan of a computer, and the forced phase-out of the inferior 32-bits. Also, google is a pretty good company, regardless of their monopoly. They provide services and force companies like Microsoft and Yahoo to get off their asses and keep on the ball. If not for google, do you think Hotmail would have that much more space on it? Hell no. And all of this Microsoft Live! stuff, it's practically a rip off of Google's own tricks. Microsoft just creates a hundred new features and dubs them all 'live!' and throws them at us as fast as possible. Google is pushing the internet forward. So they make money and claim some data, most of which will most likely never see the light of day. What a horrible company they are.

I'm just waiting for what Google comes up with next.

//rant.
garionw
I think this is just another Y2K bug thingy. Its 26 years away and by then all of our current software will be replaced. Well lets go back 26 years ago. It was 1980 and im quite sure thats when the commodores were in fashion. Now look where they are - well I can't even find one.

And as for the google argument - Ive been doing a bit of research just lately and it seems the more I read, the more I dislike about it. So as a result I am starting to rival all Google products with my own. I think that that Google are dominating the market too much and we are becoming google zombies.

Once I have my domain, ill make the switch
silvermesh
all of googles software relies on the google cookies to work the way they are intended to work. google is designed to find everything on the internet, and point people to the ones people like the most. without knowing where people go and what they do, that is nigh-impossible. there is no conspiracy here.

I think its relatively silly to assume that googles cookie policy has anything to do with the 2038 "bug" (I don't call something like this as a bug, because they're always known about when the system is created, the creator simply knows that by the time it's going to matter there will be the technology to change it)
hack_man_
I have a strange feeling that this might just go the same way as the milennium bug. I remember seeing things like "Y2K Compliant Heinz Baked Beans" and all sorts of other scams like pens that will ony work after Y2K. OMG! HOW STUPID CAN YOU GET! See this Laughing

I have always known about the google bug. Technically, it shouldn't worry you unless you look up illegal stuff on it. Laughing
Davidgr1200
For those of you who think that "the year 200 bug never happened" I'd like to rmeind you that a lot of money and effort was put into the Year 2000 problem during the three years before the end of the century. Many, many bugs were uncovered and corrected (I know as I worked for a company on this project) resulting in a reasonably painless Jan 1st 2000. Unfortunately many of the "corrections" were of the "change-the-problem-date-to-few-years-in-the-future" type, menaing that the bugs were not corrected, merely postponed. I have been working as a programmer for thirty years now and remember what people said in the seventies when I raised concerns about using only 2 digits for the year. When I said this would cause a problem in the year 2000 I was told that none of these systems would be around then. Seems like people are saying the same things now for 2037. Some people never learn!!!!