FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Great All Round Reading for Linux refreshers

shaggly
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to list this resource, but after some extensive searching in the local bookstores, I eventually managed to find a great Linux book.

Now, I hear you say that there are a LOT of good Linux books, and I would agree, but most of them don't really get into too much detail of the "behind the scenes" side of Linux, whilst at the same time managing to be cross-platform.

The "Linux Bible - 2006 Edition" by Christopher Negus manages to do just that.

It also comes with a wonderful DVD and CD that contain multiple distro's for you to try out.

The book was the best one I found that manages to start off with a very generalised base to all aspects of Linux, then also goes further in-depth into the programming, networking, and server sides of Linux. It also manages to remain pretty much non-distro based until you actually reach the sections of the book that refer specifically to distros.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone, and it's very reasonably priced for a book of its kind. The copy I managed to find was 24.99, which compared to some other technical books I've bought in the past was very cheap.

Cheers.
manumiglani
Hello Shaggy,

Thanks for sharing this resource.... I would have tried it but only today I bought Sams Teach Yourself Red Hat Linux Fedora in 24 Hours.... It seems to be a good book as well.
Shirish
Well coming to opendsource books that too concerning Linux,

man y of them are freely available on Orielly bookstore.

They have enormous infoemation to be learnt and applied .

A book named Linux from Scratch is one of the best I k\like as it expllores the deepst itraicacies involved

Also other Teach yourself editions are a good investments..
shaggly
Yes, I must confess that I am quite a big fan of O'Reilly books.

I have also read his work on AMPP applications, amongst other topics, and I find the O'Reilly books to be very informative.

The thing I like about them the most is the fact that they take you through the first steps, and then allow you to get quite technical and detailed without being at all condescending during that learning curve.

I find that other books can often be aimed at the newbie level, which we all are when we start out, but then there's nothing in them for after you get your teeth into it. That then means that you have to go and invest again.

I would just get e-books, but for some reason, I still can't get my head around reading an entire book on my PC ??? I'm one of those dinosaurs that has to have a "hard copy"... Laughing