FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tom Clancy

rameshbn1
Clancy is my favourite author. I believe he's one of the best, period.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not an 'ordinary' thrillmonger. I've read and enjoys authors from James Michener to Lev Tolstoy. But I've never had the 'unputdownable' feeling for anyone other than Clancy.

It's wonderful to see he gets better with each book. They're all thougoughly researched and each has a realistic setting. I've read all his books but I could never choose the best one.

If I were asked at gunpoint to choose his best work, I'd say - Clear and Present Danger... or perhaps Rainbow Six?
ainieas
I did read Rainbow Six but only because of the game. It was kinda like a drag for me. Sorry. Didn't like it as much as you.
Helios_155
i've read all the jack ryan/john clark novels. and i have to disagree with some of your views.

Tom does do something very well and that is the detail he goes into with all the characters even the ones that are only in the books for a brief moment.

that being said i hate the way he flicks between plots. my favourite book is without remorse because it manages to stay mostly with one major plot. i even decided to skip through the pilot plot when i re-read it. it was pointless and unnessesary.

his americanism also annoys me. in every one of his books the russians are always evil and/or corrupt. the arabs all live in caves, the brits are all knighted (and the SAS is the only army unit) and the americans are all cool and good. while i accept that he is an american writting for an american audience it just bugs me so much i actually support the russians in the book just coz i feel sorry for them.

all that aside, the books are a good read if ur looking for something to pass the time.
palavra
Helios_155 wrote:

that being said i hate the way he flicks between plots. my favourite book is without remorse because it manages to stay mostly with one major plot. i even decided to skip through the pilot plot when i re-read it. it was pointless and unnessesary.

his americanism also annoys me. in every one of his books the russians are always evil and/or corrupt. the arabs all live in caves, the brits are all knighted (and the SAS is the only army unit) and the americans are all cool and good. while i accept that he is an american writting for an american audience it just bugs me so much i actually support the russians in the book just coz i feel sorry for them.

all that aside, the books are a good read if ur looking for something to pass the time.

i did't like "wihtout remorse"
but i agree with you ,his americanism is too much and tastless