FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Books you want to see in the Movies

ren_sierra
* To be frank I am posting this to get a webhosting account... Hagh~ sorry if flood you - not that I intend to post a string of senseless topics. I'll try to be creative.

Okay. So books that I want to see in the Movies.
- Harry Potter Series of course
- Dan Brown's ANgels and Demons
- R.L. Stine's Novels (The Chain Letter, Scavenger's Hunt, etc.)
- Some of those Silhoutte books I've read... mushy stuff but some are nice.
- Ah~ The Endless (forgot if it was DC or Vertigo... but it'd be nice to see it in film. It is categorized as comics though)
discountcontacts
I wish someone would make the story surrounding Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" as a motion picture. Or a remake of "The Count of Monte Cristo".
Sappho
discountcontacts wrote:
I wish someone would make the story surrounding Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" as a motion picture. Or a remake of "The Count of Monte Cristo".

I don't think anyone will be able make a good adaptation of "The Count of Monte Christo" couse that way it would need to be like 4 hours long or maybe even longer. Sad

Anyway books i would like to see as a movie, except those that already are? Hmm, definitely R.E.Feist's Riftwar saga, i think it would be even better than LotR trilogy. Or any book by David Gemmel they are all great, i would suggest some from Drenai Tales, maybe Legend.
pandmatrix
actually i dont like the movie adaptations of books coz usually they ruin the book.. i know a lot of examples..
so i wish that no movie for my favourite books..lol
test32rota
pandmatrix is right, no books are always better then movie
Pablo Diablo
Well, besides the Harry Potter Series of course, I'd really like to see the Dark Tower series turned into a series of movies. Then again, it isnlt possible, who's going to make a series of SEVEN movies?!?!?
Dean_The_Great
I agree about the Dark Tower, although it would probably do better as a series with a bunch of seasons.

I think there needs to be a remake of "The Picture of Dorion Gray", as the only movie version out currently does not do the book justice. And I personally think that Johnny Depp would make the perfect Gray, and Burton could probably direct.
Obake
Sappho wrote:
discountcontacts wrote:

I don't think anyone will be able make a good adaptation of "The Count of Monte Christo" couse that way it would need to be like 4 hours long or maybe even longer. Sad

Anyway books i would like to see as a movie, except those that already are? Hmm, definitely R.E.Feist's Riftwar saga, i think it would be even better than LotR trilogy. Or any book by David Gemmel they are all great, i would suggest some from Drenai Tales, maybe Legend.

Actually, there have been several adaptations of the Comte de Monte Cristo story, at least three of which I know about (and I'm not a loyal follower of the story, so there are probably more). The first I'm thinking of was a televisual mini-series in which Gerard Depardieu played Edmond Dantes (so that would be your 4-hour adaptation, Sappho Smile). The second was a Hollywood film released in 2002; I don't remember it being too bad, but then I don't remember it much at all, so make of that what you will. There is also an anime series currently being released, Gankutsuou, which is another adaptation of the same story: it's absolutely spectacular visually, but having seen only the first episode, I can't really tell you much about how it works as an adaptation.

So, there you go. Comte de Monte Cristo: more popular than you think. Very Happy

For my part, I'd like to see Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell turned into a movie. Not because I believe there is anyone in particular who could pull it off, but because occasionally cinema can be surprising in its quality, and this is a story where that kind of surprise would be welcome. If that makes any sense at all. Also, I know there's a genuine possibility of such a movie coming to fruition: a script has been written and people on IMDB are arguing over the perfect cast right now.
disha
Well i dont think any book should be made into a movie becoz
1.They snap the important events of the story
2. they twist the tale into different one.
3.Directors add their new story to make the twisted story plausible.
4.The movie turns out is totally ridiculous.
brilliantbeauty
disha wrote:
Well i dont think any book should be made into a movie becoz
1.They snap the important events of the story
2. they twist the tale into different one.
3.Directors add their new story to make the twisted story plausible.
4.The movie turns out is totally ridiculous.

With the exception of any Nicholas Sparks novel, because the books, to put it lightly are rather, uh- terrible. However, I always found the movies very good and very moving. Smile
Shewolf
I would love to see "The Silmarillion" as a movie. But I guess that day shall never come, as it's not even a real novel, just a colection of (far too many) stories of Tolkien's Middle Earth. All conected, yet all so different.

I guess anyone not knowing the book would fall asleep or something, because the storyline is very complex Cool
arya7D7
I think someone is already working towards this, but maybe Eragon

would make a good movie...and The City of Ember, or have they

already done that?
Obake
arya7D7 wrote:
I think someone is already working towards this, but maybe Eragon

would make a good movie...and The City of Ember, or have they

already done that?

I can't vouch for The City of Ember, but Eragon certainly is being turned into a movie, and according to the website it's due for release on December 15. I didn't enjoy the books particularly, but I'll be interested to see what they do with the story on film.
arya7D7
whoa......that is NOT how i expected them to look, not one bit

I am actually quite a bit shocked by the directors choice of actors and

actresses... Surprised
Obake
arya7D7 wrote:
whoa......that is NOT how i expected them to look, not one bit

I am actually quite a bit shocked by the directors choice of actors and

actresses... Surprised

Isn't that always the way with movie adaptations? ^^; Well, I suppose we'll see how they do when the movie actually comes out. Very Happy
arya7D7
the only people i can figure out just by looking at it is that the middle one

is Eragon and the only girl there is Arya...
Obake
arya7D7 wrote:
the only people i can figure out just by looking at it is that the middle one

is Eragon and the only girl there is Arya...

This is true, although for me that's a little more to do with the fact that I never finished reading the book Embarassed. But there are some decent actors in the older cast, so even though they don't look like the picture you had in your head, they still might fit the characters when you see them actually moving and talking on-screen.
Shike
discountcontacts wrote:

Actually there was a movie made surrounding the Art of War, Called "the Art of War", it starred Wesley Snipes. It is a political adventure involving a secret UN "Spy" unit. It was actually Kind of Good. As for the most recent version of the Count of Monte Cristo (I don't know french), I believe that it was good, though the film makers explicitaly state that they changed some things for the plot.

As for my own aspirations, I'd like to se Snow Crash made into a movie. I think it has all of the necities of a Mystry/Thriller. Along with some nearfuture technology and ancient history.
elincinerador
well, literature translated to cinema, as any translation, is not completely loyal to the original. no matter how hard the director works, he'll never reach the effect the book created, as in good books not only the story has to be good but also the way in which the author writes. for example, my fauvorite book is 100 years of solitude, but i hope no movie is made of it because the words and vocabulary garcia marquez uses are of great relevance, and if translated to movies they will certanly not be well represented. anyway, i have to add that i like seeing movies of books; i found for example both the book and the movie of the lion, the witch and the wardrobe excellent, but they're different stories.
Obake
elincinerador wrote:
well, literature translated to cinema, as any translation, is not completely loyal to the original. no matter how hard the director works, he'll never reach the effect the book created, as in good books not only the story has to be good but also the way in which the author writes.

This is true. However, there are other devices a film can take advantage of (cinematography, musical score, etc.) that are unavailable to an author, and used well, these can make up for the lack of beautiful writing. Some sense of the author's original prose style can also be brought back into a movie if it has a good script that follows that style--I'm thinking here of movies like Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet, Sin City--which set out to be the most loyal comic-book adaptation to date--The Lord of the Rings trilogy. These are not necessarily movie adaptations that I liked, but they did succeed in doing something to echo the source material's style through dialogue and, occasionally, narration during the movies.

I sometimes think, in any case, that loyalty to the original material can be overstated as a virtue in movie adaptations. Which is not to say that loyalty isn't important--it is--but what I think is even more so, is respect for the original material. I have problems with the adaptations of the Harry Potter books, for example, because too often I feel that they are hooking into a merchandising franchise more than the stories themselves, and the directors certainly don't seem to have a great deal of respect for the characters and subplots that I'm most interested in. On the other hand, I adore Studio Ghibli's adpatation of Howl's Moving Castle, even though it takes giant leaps from the original narrative, because it remains true to the characters and is obviously put together with a great deal of love.

I really do think that that's what I look for most in a filmic adaptation of a book: respect and love for the original. I also appreciate a lack of cynicism and overt tactics to cash in on the love of others, even though most movie adaptations necessarily do rely on that love in order to recoup their costs. Oh, and it needs to be a good movie in its own right.

Is it any wonder that so many movie adaptations fail, when they are betting so heavily on other people's emotions and attachment to the original thing?
INeedHelp
I would like to see The Hobbit done like the Lord of The Rings. That would just complete the collection. I remember there was a rumor of it happening, but Christopher Tolkien wouldn't allow it to happen...
Shike
INeedHelp wrote:
I would like to see The Hobbit done like the Lord of The Rings. That would just complete the collection. I remember there was a rumor of it happening, but Christopher Tolkien wouldn't allow it to happen...

Jackson wants to do it, but there are other considerations (If I remember correctly Christopher Tolkien doesn't even own the movie rights to the Hobbit). It's all hollywood politics and such, from what I've read.
roseredd
I would <i>love</i> to see the "Hidden Children" series by Margret Peterson Haddix turned into a movie- those books always did, and still do, captivate me!

The concept would make for a great movie, I would think: the government has banned having more than 2 children, therefore all living 3rd children do not have the legal "right" to exist. If/when found, they are exceuted- simply for existing. The series follow several of these children as they go through thier lives- in hiding, on the run- as freinds or enemies. Their goals may be different- be it "freeing" the 3rd children, obtaining a "secret" identity, overthrowing the government, or simply trying to survive.

My kind of book!
Shike
I remembered another book I'd like to see. The Amber Chronicles. But it would have to be multiple volumes, and there are definately certain things that would get trimmed due to length.
JoseRizal
like what has been said before, generally movies derived from books aren't as good as the books themselves.
there are always exceptions to the rule, though - and it's a matter of opinion.

a couple of examples of good movies adapted from books:
  • Blade Runner - from "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
  • The Godfather 1 and 2 - from the book of the same title by Mario Puzo
  • Lord of the Rings trilogy - from the books of the same title by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Jurassic Park - from the book of the same title by Michael Crichton
as you can see, i favor the special effects movies - except for the Godfather, which is awesome in every aspect nonetheless.
i love the stories, and i love the movies - i can not decide which media i like better.
the advantage with movies is you can watch them in one sitting Smile
Shike
I just remembered another book I would like to see translated. Shike. Though like my last suggestion, I think it would have to be made into a mini-series to actually fit everything into it, or a series of movies like LOTR.
michael0105
The Alex Rider adventures
Some of the Neal Shusterman books would be nice
And some Tome Clancy for crying out loud!
CrimsonStrange
I'd like to see a really stylish, well-directed version of a movie featuring Neil Gaiman's character, The Sandman, and include all of the other members of the Endless family, as well.
Of course, you could be looking at a seriously large number of films, there.
I could think of a dozen high-profile actors who would fit the characters quite well, but I think a film like that would do much better, artistically, if everyone involved on the screen were unknowns.

It could already be in the works, for all I know.
TurtleShell
I saw a couple people up there mentioned the Dark Tower, and I would love to see a good version of it, but honestly, seriously--they could never do it. It would seriously be the longest series of movies EVER and they would still have to cut out a lot of the stuff that made those books so addictive!

I also noticed that the guy who started this post mentioned "chain letter" by Christopher Pike? Wow! That took me by surprise just because I seriously hadn't even thought about that book in ages. I think I must have read it a million times when I was a kid--it was on my constant rotation, along with all the scary stories to see in the dark series, and Mrs. Frisby/Rats of Nimh. But Chain Letter has practically already been made into a movie--I know what you did last summer, released in '97, has a very similar plot...and I think that was based on a book too. Lois Duncan wrote it?

Anyway, I wanted to see The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay hit the movies, and I think they started on it a long time ago, but I haven't heard anything about it in years. They probably dropped the project.
BlockUp
I would really like to see the Artemis Fowl (by Eoin Colfer) series coming to cinemas.
dmntr
The Cronocles of Amber