FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Jack Kerouac

kerouac
One my favorite literary authors and poets is Jack Kerouac. He wrote many books including "On The Road", "Desolation Angels" and "Big Sur" to name but three. In his poetry, the largest book he wrote was something called "Some Of the Dharma" which featured his stream-of consciousness poetry, and is pretty out there when you compare it to say the work of Ted Hughes or Sylvia Plath.

I am reading "On The Road" at the moment and I really recommend that you borrow it from your local library. The way he describes scenes is pretty amazing, and unlike Ernest Hemingway, his writing is never dull.
evanc88
There's a bookstore near where I live called Half-Price Books and they have a few copies of some of his work, and I know how absolutely legendary On the Road is, so I plan on picking it up now that you've reminded me : )
SusieSmacktard
I really enjoyed On The Road. Always makes me want to quit my job and drive away....
hades9366
I loved "On The Road" but struggled through a few of his other books. Kerouac is famous for his stream of consciousness style of writing, he also commented that he believed editing to be a form of censorship. I don't know but I think a novel needs some kind of direction or purpose to focus the attention of the reader. Novels that are merely beautiful for beauty's sake end up feeling trivial.

"On The Road" is a slice of life and feels complete even without a plotted resolution, at least to me but I know quite a few people who disagree with this, however some of his other books I've read such as "Desolation Angels" the narrative structure felt too loosely applied, almost as an afterthought, and they didn't have the same impact for me.

That being said "On The Road" did have a big effect on me and I would still put it in my top 20. While Burroughs is my favourite Beat writer I think Kerouac's work best exemplifies the style and captures the Beat's unique perspective.

Incidentally it was Keruoac that assembled, edited and named Burroughs most famous novel "Naked Lunch".
WeAlreadyHaveACult
near where I live called Half-Price Books, too!

What are the odds?

+++ I am reading the Subterraneans just now.
Anybody?
zenkirevolutions
I am just starting On The Road, a friend lent it to me. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, I hear it's like a party in your mind when you read it.
Flynn
kerouac wrote:
One my favorite literary authors and poets is Jack Kerouac. He wrote many books including "On The Road", "Desolation Angels" and "Big Sur" to name but three. In his poetry, the largest book he wrote was something called "Some Of the Dharma" which featured his stream-of consciousness poetry, and is pretty out there when you compare it to say the work of Ted Hughes or Sylvia Plath.

I am reading "On The Road" at the moment and I really recommend that you borrow it from your local library. The way he describes scenes is pretty amazing, and unlike Ernest Hemingway, his writing is never dull.

I love On the Road too. Don't agree that Hemingway is ever boring though.

Flynn
evanc88
Flynn wrote:
kerouac wrote:

I love On the Road too. Don't agree that Hemingway is ever boring though.

Flynn

I agrree-- Hemingway is amazing!
hahame
Quote:
I really recommend that you borrow it from your local library.

ok ,i will find the book and read .maybe it will make out my spear time